Skip to content

[HELP] Friendly Arm Inn

Hello,

As you most likely can tell I am a complete n00b at this game. So, I was playing and blah blah blah.... following the story I got to the Friendly Arm Inn and outside there is a guy who attacks me and every single time (about 23 times) I have tried beating him he just shoot magic ball at me that makes me 'Panic' I lose control of my party and he just destroys them. Am I missing something? Is there something I must do before this? This is my first combat encounter in the game, is that right? Please help.

Thank you,

TheDoctor1212

Comments

• MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    It's a known roadblock for new players. Don't worry, we've all been where you are.

Are you only using Imoen and yourself right now? In the very first map outside of Candlekeep, where Gorion died, there are two more party members on the road. They're evil, which might not work for you long-term, but keeping them around to handle Tarnesh can help.

Tarnesh's main strengths are his Mirror Image, Horror, and the fact that his Magic Missile barrage is powerful enough to 1-2 shot a level 1 character. If you can interrupt his initial casting of Mirror Image, it is easy to finish him off (or at least control him) before he gets more spells off. Keep in mind that, in addition to being a good archer, Imoen also has a wand of Magic Missile that can help interrupt him since it's a guaranteed hit if his Mirror Image isn't up.

Also, if you fight him in a public area, guards will intervene on your behalf. They can be quite helpful, though if they get the killing blow you'll miss out on a couple hundred XP.

If you need more assistance, post what your main character is.
    TJ_HookerWilbur
  • TheDoctor1212TheDoctor1212 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks a lot, I'll try it put and get back to you.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    edited January 2013
    Madhax said:

Keep in mind that, in addition to being a good archer, Imoen also has a wand of Magic Missile that can help interrupt him since it's a guaranteed hit if his Mirror Image isn't up.

Edit. This doesn't work since the wand of magic missiles has a longer casting time than the spell.

The wand is probably the easiest option. When the battle starts immediately pause the game (or use auto pause when enemy sighted option) and use the wand on him. It has a casting time of 1 where as mirror image has a casting time of 2 so you should be able to hit him right in time to break his spell. Without the mirror image you should be able to kill him rather easily.
    Post edited by Wilbur on
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Wilbur said:

Madhax said:

Keep in mind that, in addition to being a good archer, Imoen also has a wand of Magic Missile that can help interrupt him since it's a guaranteed hit if his Mirror Image isn't up.

The wand is probably the easiest option. When the battle starts immediately pause the game (or use auto pause when enemy sighted option) and use the wand on him. It has a casting time of 1 where as mirror image has a casting time of 2 so you should be able to hit him right in time to break his spell. Without the mirror image you should be able to kill him rather easily.
    Does the wand actually have a casting time of 1? I know the spell magic missile does, but I've always found that all consumable/charged items simply have a flat delay associated with using them. And from what I remember, this delay can take a second or two, so I'm not sure if it'd work to disrupt Mirror Image, unless you target Tarnesh just before he talks to you, so that the wand gets a little headstart.
    Wilbur
    edited January 2013
    TJ_Hooker said:

Wilbur said:

Madhax said:

Does the wand actually have a casting time of 1? I know the spell magic missile does, but I've always found that all consumable/charged items simply have a flat delay associated with using them. And from what I remember, this delay can take a second or two, so I'm not sure if it'd work to disrupt Mirror Image, unless you target Tarnesh just before he talks to you, so that the wand gets a little headstart.
    Well I'm not sure actually, I just assumed it did. I think I'll have to test it myself :)

Edit. You're right it isn't as fast as the spell. He casts the mirror image in like half the time it takes to fire the missile. It does take down one of his images though (which is not the same thing obviously).
  • emjayemjay Member Posts: 84
    If you use it as soon as he turns hostile it should interrupt him.
    emjay said:

If you use it as soon as he turns hostile it should interrupt him.

Like @TJ_Hooker said the only way to hit him before he casts mirror image is to use the wand before he initiates the conversation with you (and it takes some timing). I find that a little cheesy myself.

TJ_Hooker
  • AgricolaAgricola Member Posts: 21
    edited January 2013
    I remember my first character was a wizard with 4hp and I didn't know about find familiar, that fight made me rage and question the sexuality of the developers. However, what I love the most about this game is when you don't know how to do things it's brutally hard, but once you figure out how to use tactics/spells/wands/potions, things radically turn around making it all the more satisfying.

I always take Blind, & find familiar as my starter spells now :P If you hit a spellcaster with blind and don't stand adjacent to them they can be killed safely with ranged attacks. Since that mage is still low level his saving throws aren't very good, you may have to reload once if things just go horribly awry.

Non mages characters should have the hp to take a whack between quaffing the potions that imoen starts with. Use a bow if you're a thief/fighter type. Bows have more attacks per round than swords so they're always better at dealing with mirror imaged mages.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Find Familiar as spell choice is a total waste. You cast it once. A scroll can do that, and you can start with a spell that you use more than one single time.
  • AgricolaAgricola Member Posts: 21
    edited January 2013
    ^ If I could reliably find a find familiar scroll early I wouldn't start with it. As is, more than doubling starting hp is too large a boost to pass off to rng.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Agricola said:

^ If I could reliably find a find familiar scroll early I wouldn't start with it. As is, more than doubling starting hp is too large a boost to pass off to rng.

There is one that will reliably drop.

• SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    I've also ran into the inn itself before, recruited Jaheira and Khalid and then taken him on
    Darthvegeta800
  • Darthvegeta800Darthvegeta800 Member Posts: 5
    SirK8 said:

I've also ran into the inn itself before, recruited Jaheira and Khalid and then taken him on

That's a good idea actually...