Skip to content

Do NPCs advance in level when you leave them behind?

If I leave a current NPC behind for a while so that I can temporarily take on a new NPC, will the old NPC be the same level as they were when I left them, or will they advance to parity with my party when I rejoin with them? I know that NPCs will start at roughly the same level as the party when they first join you, but I don't know about this.

Comments

• scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    No, they will stay the same level as when you left them.
  • clocknovaclocknova Member Posts: 23
    Damn
  • secretmantrasecretmantra Member Posts: 259
    You could always CLUA them to be comparable with the rest of your party. I think it's only fair. That way you're not penalized for experimenting with different party line-ups.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited March 2013

You could always CLUA them to be comparable with the rest of your party. I think it's only fair. That way you're not penalized for experimenting with different party line-ups.

In the past, what I have sometimes done is to note the current xp of character I'm swapping out when recruiting a new NPC, and then to CLUA the new NPC to that amount of xp.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
  • Dantos4Dantos4 Member Posts: 58
    edited March 2013
    I'm not 100% sure about BG:EE, but in vanilla BG, the character rejoining you would scale to your level depending on a certain threshold.

So for example I remember leaving Kagain in Nashkel, levelling up a few times, then returning and she was roughly my level. However she had the "standard" gear she comes with, NOT the stuff I left her with.

Makes me come to the conclusion that it performs a check on lvl/exp then generates a level appropriate character from the "pre-sets" it would have used had they never joined you in the first place.

EDIT: Grammatical error
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Dantos4 said:

I'm not 100% sure about BG:EE, but in vanilla BG, the character rejoining you would scale to your level depending on a certain threshold.

So for example I remember leaving Kagain in Nashkel, levelling up a few times, then returning and she was roughly my level. However she had the "standard" gear she comes with, NOT the stuff I left her with.

Makes me come to the conclusion that it performs a check on lvl/exp then generates a level appropriate character from the "pre-sets" it would have used had they never joined you in the first place.

EDIT: Grammatical error

You must've bugged out somehow, this is as far as I know not supposed to happen and I've never experienced it myself.

Also Kagain is a he ;)