Skip to content

Thieve's Guild

So I just arrived in baldurs gate and talk to the head of the thieves guild.

I'm pretty conflicted about doing his quest, I play a good party (20 rep) and I don't want to do burglary, but at the same time I feel like I'll be missing out on parts of the game.
In BG2 you kinda have to go with the shadow thieves for the good path, but here in BG I see no in-game reason to for a good party.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    It's ok, you are stealing from a horrible person anyway.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2012
    They can be kind of fun quests. You don't have to do them or anything, and if you want to save them for an evil/neutral party go ahead. You don't get anything out of them item wise that is that impressive, certainly nothing worth breaking from your roleplaying experience for. I'd say save them for another time.

You do miss out on experience, but that (at least in my opinion) is probably your biggest loss from choosing to skip it.
  • BaxyrattyBaxyratty Member Posts: 190
    jow many quests are there? i've only found 2
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    In my last evil play through I immediately got into a beef with them and had to kill the whole guild lol
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    The fundamental nature of the alignment system in BG (and AD&D 2e generally) is that Good-Evil is a completely independent axis from Lawful-Chaotic, unlike real life where cultural pressures tell us that "Law" and "Good" are causally connected (although we can all see that the correlation is imperfect, especially in tyrannical countries).

Thus in the Forgotten Realms, theft is inconsistent with a Lawful alignment, but it's not contrary to a Good alignment. It's a different morality from the real world. If you're Lawful (even if Lawful Evil), then don't take Alatar's quest (and you'll probably have to massacre the whole Guild as a result, so you get the XP that way). If you're Chaotic (even if Chaotic Good), then do it and get the XP that way, it's quite a fun quest to do.
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552

The fundamental nature of the alignment system in BG (and AD&D 2e generally) is that Good-Evil is a completely independent axis from Lawful-Chaotic, unlike real life where cultural pressures tell us that "Law" and "Good" are causally connected (although we can all see that the correlation is imperfect, especially in tyrannical countries).

There is scientifically speaking certainly no causal connection between "Law" and the moral "Good", at most there is a correlation which is also highly environmental dependent.