Skip to content

[Announcement] Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition has been temporarily removed from sale.

PhillipDaiglePhillipDaigle Member Posts: 654
edited June 2013 in Archived News
Hi Friends.

Please read this announcement from Trent:

Dear Friends of Baldur's Gate,

We recently removed Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition from sale on Beamdog and the Apple App Store. We've taken this step at our publishing partner's request as we attempt to resolve a number of contractual issues.

Unfortunately, until this matter is resolved, we are unable to release the latest Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition patch or Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for Android.

This also prevents the launch of Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition. I sincerely apologize to the series' fans and promise we are working diligently to remedy the situation.

Regards,
Trent Oster
President, Beamdog & Overhaul Games
Baldursgate.com has additional information in a FAQ. Believe me when I say we're extremely unhappy about this. We didn't have confirmation of this until today, and it is indeed sad news.

We will work through this issue, but we don't know when.
elminsterAndreaColomboDeeAnduinStarflower2525Sylvus_MoonbowGodKaiserHelldarius404ChetBhaalSpawn666JuliusBorisovAedanSamuelVargMoiraNecdilzorjunk11YovanethSwordsNotWordsTwilight_FoxPhyraxFlashburnAendaeronBluescaleChildofBhaal599Syntia13aqzinaRnRClownneleotheszeGishRedGuardMetallomanermo

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Well thats unfortunate. Hopefully you and your publishing partner can resolve these issues shortly.
    PaulgSwordsNotWordsEntery
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Microsoft announces they're dropping most of the Xbox One DRM and now this... Did we somehow timetravel to the start of April?
    Quartz
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Oh man you just gotta be kidding....
    PaulgDannyNecdilzor
  • Starflower2525Starflower2525 Member Posts: 44
    That is really sad news
    Paulg
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Moving this to News. Even though it's not happy news.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    PaulgQuartz
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    This is bizarre? Has production stopped along with release?
  • ThunderThunder Member Posts: 157
    Does this have anything to do with the Atari issues of late?
  • RasekovRasekov Member Posts: 59
    wtf?

What kind of problem could they(atari, WotC, ... not beamdog) develop at this point in the project? The game has been released for months...

Also, the game is still being sold on steam and Trent didn't mention that platform in the announcement so this kind of points at a problem with beamdog and not the game itself, and that only makes it weirder.
    edited June 2013
    time for kickstarter after all as the partners fall apart?
    onemeg
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    edited June 2013
    Like I said in a different thread. My heart kind of sank at this announcement. I just hope all issues are resolved soon.
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • PhillipDaiglePhillipDaigle Member Posts: 654
    Rasekov said:

Also, the game is still being sold on steam and Trent didn't mention that platform in the announcement so this kind of points at a problem with beamdog and not the game itself, and that only makes it weirder.

We have no control over the game on Steam, it's handled directly by Atari. We don't know what will be happening there.
    darius404AedanMoiraNecdilzor
  • DexterDexter Member Posts: 253
    Could you please tell the people who made that decision that there's a whole, active community who want more and more BGEE? Could you please tell them that means money will be coming to their pockets?
    If not for the money, do it for the people here. Just sit and work things out. We are talking about a game, not politics or religion, I'm sure you can find a middle ground.

• mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited June 2013
  • RasekovRasekov Member Posts: 59

Rasekov said:

We have no control over the game on Steam, it's handled directly by Atari. We don't know what will be happening there.
    It wasn't my intention to try to imply anything, I just found it weird that the game was still being sold on steam and what it could mean.
    Oh I realize that but I figure it might help clarify the situation a bit if people know what's happening there.
    Necdilzor
  • NolzeiNolzei Member Posts: 13
    sort of a silly question, but will we still be able to play the game ?
    Nolzei said:

Yes, if you've already purchased the game you can still download and play it. We just can't sell any new copies of the game until the matter is settled.

There's more information here.
    Nolzei said:

My thoughts exactly, will they block purchased game too??
  • davendaven Member Posts: 112
    Whoever decided this need a swift kick in the morals.
    PaulgJairyanna
  • NolzeiNolzei Member Posts: 13
    This is really sad since parts of my BG:EE are glitched and I have problems playing it for a while. I was also very excited for BG2:EE but seeing this it will be very delayed or not happening :(
    edited June 2013
    @Cahir @Nolzei

Did you guys worrying if you can play the game read the faq?

Frequently Asked Questions

I have already purchased Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition from Beamdog or the Apple App Store. Will I still be able to download and play my game?

Yes. If you have already purchased Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition from Beamdog or the Apple App Store, you can still download and play your game.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Well that sucks. I take it this may take a while to resolve. Bummer.
    For those who missed the FAQ on the baldursgate.com webpage, here they are in hi-tech spoiler format:
    I have already purchased Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition from Beamdog or the Apple App Store. Will I still be able to download and play my game?
    Yes. If you have already purchased Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition from Beamdog or the Apple App Store, you can still download and play your game.

Why is all of this happening? What caused this issue?
    We are unable to discuss details of the complex legal matters surrounding this issue at this time. Please be aware that we are extremely unhappy with the situation and are doing our best to work past it. We have put a lot of hard work into this series, and are eager for fans to see it.

When will Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition be available again?
    Unfortunately, we cannot offer the game for sale until all issues with our publishing partner have been resolved. We do not have a specific date for when the game will be available again.

What is in the next Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition patch?
    The next Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition patch features:
    - An updated user interface that allows for high-resolution scaling and transparency.
    - A new renderer featuring enormous performance improvements, and compatibility enhancements for Intel graphics chipsets.
    - A new font system for sharper, clearer text.
    - Full German language support, including new German VO for the expanded content.
    - Subtitles in movies.
    - Over 135 gameplay fixes and enhancements.
    We are unable to release this patch until all issues with our publishing partner have been resolved.

What's the status of Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition?
    We have been developing Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition for some time now, but until all issues with our publishing partner are resolved we cannot officially announce or offer this game for sale. This has resulted in significant amounts of wailing and gnashing of teeth amongst the development team.

What's the status of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for Android?
    We cannot offer the game for sale until all issues with our publishing partner have been resolved.
    TheGrapeTyphlosionSamuelVargMoiraNecdilzor
    The place on http://baldursgate.com/ says:

Enter your email to recieve updates about Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition.

then replies with:
    Your request cannot be processed.
    elminster

@Cahir @Nolzei

Did you guys worrying if you can play the game read the faq?

Frequently Asked Questions

Yeah for now we can play, but we are worried if this will be permanent state of things.
    Danny
    There's an issue where if the URL isn't www.baldursgate.com it won't work. I'm in the middle of fixing that.
This discussion has been closed.