Skip to content

NPC Guide to BG2EE

elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
edited December 2013 in Challenges and Playthroughs
Hey everyone. I've thrown this back in Strategies like the thread for my first guide.

If you follow this link you'll find my NPC Guide to BG2EE.

Like my NPC Guide to BGEE this is more of a general strategy guide for each NPC rather than a specific walkthrough of how you get through individual NPC's quests (or their possible outcomes). In at least a few cases I did drop helpful suggestions for some of the new NPC's that relate to their storyline but generally I haven't discussed it. I may look into including the possible outcomes in the future for the new NPC's but we will see.

Anyways look through it, drop a few comments here if you like it or you are revolted by it. Whatever works for you :p
Post edited by elminster on
jackjackelementPantalionSharrdarkenErinneRnRClownPibaroCrevsDaakBrudeWanderonkaguanaDemonoid_LimewireTisAmazinJayvieeJuliusBorisovlolienKilivitz

Comments

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Been waiting for this - thank you!
    JuliusBorisov
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited November 2013
    that's a hell of a guide, looks good from what I read(mostly the characters I know) I don't think I can vote it up on steam though when I don't own it on that platform.

I might be inclined to mention mislead in combination with bard song
    and perhaps the robes that give chaos shield permanently for Neera
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I did already state in the case of Neera that "As she progresses in the game she will get a number of items that will make her wild surges more reliable (her increased level will also do this)".

Mislead and the bard song is a good one I suppose especially for ToB levels. Forgot about that.
    oh ok sorry my mistake didnt pick up on it

realy good tho I feel bad for not being able to rate it.
    Meh. Don't worry about it :)
    elementCrevsDaak
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    edited November 2013
    Minor thing with Aerie's entry, she gains no particular benefits, to my knowledge, from a potion of Insight for Limited Wish, I'm fairly certain she gets the full range of benefits with 16 Wisdom.

Don't believe Edwin has 13 Strength, I'm fairly sure it's 10.
    EudaemoniumelminsterJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
    Yea you are right about both.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    edited December 2013
    You mention potions of genius for most of the spellcasters, but I seem to recall in ToB there is an Ioun Stone that can add 1 point of Intelligence (Golden?). Since the majority of level 9 spells are in ToB themselves, 'tis very practical to just swap the Ioun around whenever you're scribing. Only Aerie and Jan require more, though it's good practice to use potions when scribing anyway to avoid failures.

For Neera, it is critically important to note that Nahal's doesn't need to be for a spell she is currently capable of casting. She can cast Freedom from her spellbook if someone is imprisoned in the Underdark, and she can cast Delayed Blast Fireballs (15D6 regardless of caster level) from the moment she first finds the scroll. It's not reliable in combat, but from a safe distance that sort of trick is one of the most powerful openers you could hope for.

Lastly, it's worth noting that you can Dual Class Yoshimo, and he's actually a rather servicable Fighter if you take the time to set that up, since he'll quite quickly have the pips to Grand Mastery Katanas and TWF (2 pips TWF and an unproficient Kundane offhand makes him a killing machine with Celestial Fury, and a decent boss fight in his own right). Dual Classing just as you come into Spellhold is a cheeky but possible tactical opportunity.

Other than that, I've glanced through everything and it looks good. Nice work.
    Post edited by Pantalion on
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
    edited December 2013
    Meh I mentioned the Ioun Stone a few times and Neera's ability to use spells that are higher level than she can normally cast. I'm limited in any edits though by whatever the arbitrary character limit is for Steam guides so for instance in Sarevok's case I have no room for a mention of his intelligence and how it relates to his spellcasting.

Weird. I know I typed up about Yoshimo's ability to dual class but I guess it never made it through editing hehe. Its almost like it disappeared :D
  • SharShar Member Posts: 158
    edited December 2013
    "She should now have the currect amount" pun intended? Surely it should then be "incurrect amount" in the next sentence?
    elminsterjackjackCrevsDaak
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    Yes!
    Hehe. Nope that's just me apparently being very tired and incorrectly spelling a very basic word. I will correct it when I can (alas not tonight).
    SharCrevsDaak
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Aw man, I was hoping to get around to making an NPC rundown but I got beat to it. Good stuff though, this kicks the crap out of anything I would have made.
    When I started this guide I didn't exactly "thing" I'd be writing about a bear but yet here we are. Thats in Wilson section. But yeah man, i read it and it is very awesome guide.
    elminster
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    Why such high stats for Hexxat, is she going to mind dominate me in TOB or something?
    CrevsDaak
    I have to say though I have postponed my BG2ee until the first patch was out tried it and few things werent working. I.e ginny didnt appear in irenicus's dungeon ability didnt work. After reading the guide and seeing there are still plenty of bugs i might have to wait further for next patch to play it. Which is a shame.
    elminster
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    The bugs seem kind of random. I only ran into ones with Neera's quest chain (which basically completely broke for me) and one with Haer'Dalis. Everything else was fine.
    edited December 2013

Aw man, I was hoping to get around to making an NPC rundown but I got beat to it. Good stuff though, this kicks the crap out of anything I would have made.

Its always good to have more NPC guides. I'm just one voice with my own biased opinions particularly regarding strategies, spells, and higher level abilities (an example of a bias on my part was that I recommended the same 4 fighter HLA's pretty consistently hehe). So I'd say make yours anyways :)
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Like I've said already - it's an amazing work. From my POV, it should be paid ;)

This is what I've managed to find (it terms of inconsistencies).

Korgan's DEX is 15, not 9. It's not that bad afterall;)

Regarding Delryn Family Shield - I’ve always thought that 3 casts of protection from missile weapons is one of the best sides of this shield, especially helpful at the start of BG2 (you can add this ability just like you do with goggles (Spectroscopes) that give Jan Detect Invisibility once/day)

When mentioning (speaking about Jaheira) "it its going to take a long time before you ever see her reach level 15 as a druid" you can add and emphasize - LONG TIME.

Some typos.

Aerie: One holds any enemies that fail their save and the other can be useful against casters (more likely to work againST clerics than mages) - not "again"

INT: To give you an example this chart means that the highest level of spell you can learn scrolls from if you have 17 intelligence is level 8 (for spells like Horrid Wilting) - not "so", I think

Intro: Just like in the first game exploration is a big part of Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced Edition - right now it seems odd.
    elminster
    I think the horrid wilting thing is fine but otherwise thanks for the help :)
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    elminster said:

Its always good to have more NPC guides. I'm just one voice with my own biased opinions particularly regarding strategies, spells, and higher level abilities (an example of a bias on my part was that I recommended the same 4 fighter HLA's pretty consistently hehe). So I'd say make yours anyways :)
    Well if I did one, it would probably utilize multiple posts on a single thread in the forum. I might actually make a kit rundown guide after I do a bit more playing around with the game, but hey, who knows ;)
    elminster
    if your intrested

you've listed Nalia as neutral good I think she's chaotic good, atleast that's what shows up in my game
    elminsterCrevsDaak
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    element said:

if your intrested

you've listed Nalia as neutral good I think she's chaotic good, atleast that's what shows up in my game

She is now it seems, although I believe she was Neutral Good before and I don't see what the logic was behind changing it. The only reason she wasn't Lawful Good seems because of her thief levels; none of her plans involve outright rebellion or revolution, rather she intends to change the system and make it fairer from within.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Nalia was always Chaotic Good.
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    Jalily said:

Nalia was always Chaotic Good.

I guess I never looked at her character sheet very often. I really don't see what's chaotic about her though.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @elminster you forgot to add a tip about the Light Crossbow of Speed and Jan Jansen, it is a mega cheese, since the Flash Bruiser ammo he creates can be fired with anything (in the vanilla it is also usable by everyone).
    elminsterJuliusBorisovlolien
    edited December 2013
    I included the crossbow but to be honest I don't think its worth it with him. Using the crossbow means you aren't casting a spell and I'm in the opinion that chances are he is going to be better off either casting a spell or using a wand.
    CrevsDaak
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @elminster, the answer is, Robe of Vecna + Light Crossbow of Speed + Kuo Toa Bolts + Stoneskin + Fireshield (RED ooooooor BLUE!!) = OP Jan.
    He can cast spells and use the Crossbow in the same round, just use Auto-pause at Spell cast and use short-casting time spells, or grab the Robe of Vecna.
    JuliusBorisov
  • laptopman666laptopman666 Member Posts: 283
    CrevsDaak said:

@elminster you forgot to add a tip about the Light Crossbow of Speed and Jan Jansen, it is a mega cheese, since the Flash Bruiser ammo he creates can be fired with anything (in the vanilla it is also usable by everyone).

you really like mr. jan jansen dontcha :P

CrevsDaak
    CrevsDaak said:

@elminster, the answer is, Robe of Vecna + Light Crossbow of Speed + Kuo Toa Bolts + Stoneskin + Fireshield (RED ooooooor BLUE!!) = OP Jan.
    He can cast spells and use the Crossbow in the same round, just use Auto-pause at Spell cast and use short-casting time spells, or grab the Robe of Vecna.

Yea I can't say I would ever give jan the robe of vecna. Unless I had no other mages (which given the number of mages in bg2 seems unlikely).
    CrevsDaak
This discussion has been closed.