Skip to content

How can I safely get rid of Jaheira?

My party is overcrowded and I need to make some room for other characters to get some sidequests done. Unfortunately Jaheira is really touchy about being removed from the party. My main character isn't in a romance with her but has completed her quest chain, and she's got her Harper Pin. I was hoping that once that was settled she'd be willing to leave the group for a while, but I still get her angry "I gave up everything for you" speech if I try to remove her even now and she disappears forever.

I don't really want to drag her around for the rest of the game and my main character is already a druid anyway; I don't need two, although I'd probably pick her back up for the final battles in SoA just for the story. Is there any way to remove her from the party for a while without her quitting for good? Either another sidequest to do or an exploit or a CLUA code that will calm her down will work. Any ideas?

Comments

• kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    I ran into the same issue this time and decided to drop Nalia instead of her because she actually makes a very good front line fighter with spectral brand, belm and ring of gaxx.

If you think of her as a fighter with insect spells rather than a Druid it's a bit better.
  • foster79foster79 Member Posts: 30
    It's not that she's a bad character, it's just that I need to make some room and she's the character I can most stand to drop for a while. Working on quests for Rasaad, Neera, and Hexxat. (And they all seem to get pretty angry about being removed for a minute too.) Can't drop Viconia because of her romance. Jaheira is the only member I can lose right now, wasn't expecting to be stuck with her for the entire game. It's hard enough to juggle my party around with just one character I can never remove, let alone two.
  • iavasechuiiavasechui Member Posts: 274
    Would cluaing her so that her quest is reset to before the harper stronghold help? Not that I would know what to change...
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    edited December 2013
    If I'm not planning on using Jahiera I ditch her immediately after exiting Irenicus' Dungeon... She will leave on relatively good terms "just in case" I want to grab her and do some of her quests.

One thing I liked about Dragon Age was that your entire crew traveled along with you sorta, and wish BG had this sort of thing. I hate hurting the feelings of my party members by ditching them, even if there just some pixels :) .
    BrudeBaptor
  • SylphSylph Member Posts: 210
    I had the same issue. The advice I got that worked was to close her up in one of the rooms in the Copper Coronet and then remove her from the group. If you want to pick her up again just talk to her and she'll start her being-dropped lines but then you can tell her to stay. Kind of lame but that's the only workaround I know :/
    ReadingRamboThunderShikao[Deleted User]
  • RealReal Member Posts: 68
    Petrify her. Im sure a Jaheira statue may look nice right next to Anomen and Keldorn in Coronet.
    jackjack[Deleted User]
  • lelag200lelag200 Member Posts: 125
    Sylph said:

I had the same issue. The advice I got that worked was to close her up in one of the rooms in the Copper Coronet and then remove her from the group. If you want to pick her up again just talk to her and she'll start her being-dropped lines but then you can tell her to stay. Kind of lame but that's the only workaround I know :/

This can work in real life too, no? :)
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    edited December 2013
    If you haven't done this yet, fight Kangaxx and let him imprison her. As an alternative to Real's idea which is actually the best one here.
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680

One thing I liked about Dragon Age was that your entire crew traveled along with you sorta, and wish BG had this sort of thing. I hate hurting the feelings of my party members by ditching them, even if there just some pixels :) .

Oddly I thought that the way this worked in Dragon Age was incredibly lame. I played with a standard party of 3 and everyone else basically sat around in camp for the entire game. Although clearly they must have been doing something because they were managing to level up at exactly the same rate.

• djenindjenin Member Posts: 10
    edited December 2013
    It was a decent idea in my opinion, being able to recruit every possible NPC in the game, and tailor your party to specific missions/quests. The way it was realised leaves much to be desired though, it would have preferred a base of operations of sorts, so you don't actually have everyone with you all the time.

Would have been cool for the pocket plane, to have everyone hang out there, so you could go back and talk to everyone and alter the party if you deem it necessary without anyone going ape/breaking romance.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    You can always call her back at the start of ToB via the Fate Spirit - just cut her loose.
    jackjack
    I'll try locking her in a room in the Copper Coronet, thanks for the suggestions. And yeah, I preferred the way Dragon Age handled NPCs. Every time I play BG1 I end up trying to collect every member and drop them off at Kagain's shop. That way if I'm doing a nature area I can go back and form a group of druids and rangers, etc. I like for every member to be available so I can do all their personal quests, see all their dialogue, etc.

The way BG2 penalizes you for taking people out of your party has always bothered me, and unfortunately the EE version continued the trend with the new NPCs. Hexxat guilt-trips me like crazy any time I want to leave her behind for a minute, and I never saw the point of that mechanic in the first place. Why NOT let the player drop party members as the need arises?

I always bring back Jaheira and Minsc for the final battles in SoA regardless of my party makeup, because I figure they deserve some vengeance. I definitely don't want her leaving forever, I just need some space in my party for a few quests. It looks like dropping her and then running away before she can talk to me is the best solution, unfortunately.
    @foster79: The problem with that approach is that experience doesn't leak to NPCs who aren't actually in the party - spread yourself too thinly and you'll end up with an underleveled, underpowered group. Rotating one or two slots isn't that big a deal, but eventually you want to settle for a specific composition to start reaching for the HLA levels...
    jackjack
    The way I do it if I want jaheira out for a while is to leave her at the galvery estate and not rescue her for a while :). There's no timer on that quest.
  • DetroitRedWings25DetroitRedWings25 Member Posts: 244
    list of everything Dragon age did better than Baldur's Gate: ... *cricket noises*
  • DetroitRedWings25DetroitRedWings25 Member Posts: 244
    list of everything Dragon age did better than Baldur's Gate: ... *cricket noises*
  • SporvanSporvan Member Posts: 31
    This one is quite interesting... my main char is also a druid.

I completed her harper quests (without romance) and kicked her out of the group. Of course she stormed off into the sunset and I thought I would never see her again.

When I turned level 14 I got summoned back to the druid grove to duel for Great Druid status and Jaheira appeared next to the bottom side of the dueling pit to observe the rising of a new Great Druid.

Afterwards I could speak to her again and let her rejoin the group. So at least for druids you have a second chance to meet her again if you kick her out.
  • AnotherLifeAnotherLife Member Posts: 115
    You're not supposed to see everything in one playthrough of BG2, that's why it's designed to lock you out of quests/items/characters sometimes. So you play again, but this time create a different charname and pick up a different NPC crew.
    jackjackSirBaldur

This might be heresy but I never liked backstabbing in bg2 so I hardly ever played theives but I love assassins in dao because it's easier to position by popping into first person view.

This might be heresy but I never liked backstabbing in bg2 so I hardly ever played theives but I love assassins in dao because it's easier to position by popping into first person view.
    NPCs are pretty much the ONLY thing Dragon Age did better than Baldur's Gate, but it was still an improvement. Keeping them all together at camp made it easier to swap out as the situation or story required and gave you an easy place to go to chat with them and advance their personal quests. I definitely preferred it to BG's haphazard "some leave forever, some stay where you left them, some go to specific places" system.

At least ToB finally gathered everyone in one place.
    edited December 2013

Player agency? Reputation management? World-building? NPC arrangement? Romance? Representation of women?

EDIT: To expand:

Player agency: Your choices have much, much more impact on the world than in BG2, both mechanically and in terms of story.

Reputation management: Instead of having to manipulate a single, universal variable, every companion can approve or disapprove of specific actions - which makes a lot more sense than the alignment system and its inability to cope with "grey areas".

World-building: You know all those books you find in BG? Stuff about Halruaa and Shadowdale and Calimshan and all that? Is any of it relevant to the plot? Not even a little bit. Meanwhile, everything you learn in DA about the history of Ferelden, the Chantry and the myths of the darkspawn end up having some bearing on the plot: the story of the Orlesian occupation explains Loghain's motivations, the Chantry lore about abominations can impact your decision at the Mage Tower, understanding dwarven culture helps you figure out the pros and cons of the Bhelen/Harrowmont conflict, etc.

NPC arrangement: As has already been said, the big advantage here isn't just that the NPCs you don't use sit at the party camp and can be easily swapped in - it's that they get a large percentage of EXP while sidelined, so you don't have to waste time leveling them up to the PC's equivalent.

Romance: It's great that BG2:EE has balanced the scales, but let's not forget that women were really, really overlooked in the original game - a choice between Alistair, Zevran and Leliana is inherently better than "Anomen or bust."

Representation of women: BG (and D&D as a whole) may pay lip service to the notion that women of the Realms are as equal as men, but when you look at the lore and the NPCs, it doesn't always work out that way. There's a definite slant towards men as warriors and women as rogues or casters (especially with male romances in BG2 - Aerie, Jaheira, Neera and Viconia are all elven spellcasters). With DA, not only do you have characters like Aveline, Shale and Cauthrien, but even the lore places women at the highest levels - the most important religious figure in the world is Andraste, Alistair's grandmother was the Rebel Queen who started Ferelden on the road to independence, Flemeth is a figure of myth, etc.
    Post edited by shawne on
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    foster79 said:

NPCs are pretty much the ONLY thing Dragon Age did better than Baldur's Gate, but it was still an improvement. Keeping them all together at camp made it easier to swap out as the situation or story required and gave you an easy place to go to chat with them and advance their personal quests. I definitely preferred it to BG's haphazard "some leave forever, some stay where you left them, some go to specific places" system.

At least ToB finally gathered everyone in one place.

That was copied from KOTOR though, having evolved through BG2. The influence system was copied from KOTOR2.

Apart from that, DAO suffered from the lack of a real antagonist, and characters that where written with to much earnestness, and not enough entertainment value. Not to mention appallingly overpowered Mages.
    As for gender roles, Jalhera is as much a warrior as a caster, and there are sha-teel and mazzy Fenton as warriors. Convenient to forget Edwin, Baeloth, Xzar, Xan and all the other male mages and thieves.
    edited December 2013
    Fardragon said:

Apart from that, DAO suffered from the lack of a real antagonist, and characters that where written with to much earnestness, and not enough entertainment value. Not to mention appallingly overpowered Mages.

As opposed to BG2, where mages are perfectly balanced? *confused*

Not sure what you mean about the characters - even Sten has his moments.
    Fardragon said:

As for gender roles, Jalhera is as much a warrior as a caster, and there are sha-teel and mazzy Fenton as warriors. Convenient to forget Edwin, Baeloth, Xzar, Xan and all the other male mages and thieves.

You really want to parse that? Shar-Teel and Mazzy are the only pure fighter-type characters in the game, and Shar-Teel is a walking stereotype: the man-hating she-hulk. Which leaves Mazzy, whose storyline is that she's not worthy of being a Paladin because she's a halfling.

And your comment about Edwin, etc. just proves my point: men are equally capable of being pretty much any class in the game. Women aren't. DA:O does a much better job of balancing the roles.
    shawne said:

Fardragon said:

As opposed to BG2, where mages are perfectly balanced? *confused*

Not sure what you mean about the characters - even Sten has his moments.
    It's one thing to have mages that are overpowered due to law and game history. It's another thing to design a game system from scratch and end up with them being even more overpowered, including the ability for them to wear heavy armour and use weapons as well as any warrior. That was just dumb.

The problem with the characters is they tried to hard to give them depth, to the extent that I can't even remember their names. Sometimes a headwound and a hamster is all you need to make a character memorable. Less is more.
    @Fardragon: "Law and game history" applies to DA:O just as well - it's part of the lore that mages are potentially the most dangerous people in that world, which is used to justify the Circle, the Templars, all of that. If they weren't, you'd have to suspend disbelief to accept the insane restrictions placed on magic (especially Blood Magic).

I'm going to have to disagree with your assessment of the characters - they're more similar to BG2's bunch than you might think, given that none of them are exactly as they appear. Even Minsc strays from the traditional role of a Rashemen berserker (because he failed, and ended up choosing a "witch" who wasn't Rashemi at all), just as Leliana isn't really just a nun and Zevran isn't really just a sex-crazed assassin and Jaheira isn't just a Harper.
    Minsc responds to events that happen in the game. The game wasn't contrived to serve his character. As for thingy in DAO, I really can't remember much about her at all, which is pretty much proof of failure.
    Fardragon said:

Minsc responds to events that happen in the game. The game wasn't contrived to serve his character.

Again, as opposed to what?
    Fardragon said:

As for thingy in DAO, I really can't remember much about her at all, which is pretty much proof of failure.

Not really - it's just proof that you're not even trying to be objective, which renders any further discussion pointless.