Skip to content

TOTSC: Lycanthropy *Spoilers*

SynergeticSynergetic Member Posts: 69
As most of us already know upon playing the TOSC expansion and going to werewolf island you become forcefully infected with lycanthropy at one point during the storyline.

I had pointed out in a previous post that while I know the game was not set up around a causality system I still think you should have been given the opportunity to accept the "Gift" of being a werewolf and living with them peacefully. This is of course all forced one way as the main antagonist suddenly unites the entire town (Dude must have had some SERIOUS charisma or pull) to suddenly go hostile against you under the simple fact of you not being an original member of their pack, (Outsider).

I think there should have been an option for those of good alignment to go down this path a bit more peacefully. Granted this would of completely arced the story a bit but when you think about it - it wouldn't have been that hard to accomplish I mean this is old school Bioware were talking here. Just write in a few more dozen lines of dialogue, add a few more strings and ultimately just make a slight change in how things work out.

The ability to be able to change into a werewolf like the shape shifter kit would have been nice in the original seeing it was not yet available. Kind of obscene that your characters gib into chunks when they turn into a werewolf and insta die.

I was just curious how many other people felt like there should have been a branch option at this point.
  1. TOTSC: Lycanthropy *Spoilers*69 votes
    1. Yes, they should have added a more peaceful resolution & or have the ability to retain being a werewolf.
      57.97%
    2. No, everything happened for a reason & I like the way it played out.
      39.13%
    3. Other (Please explain)
        2.90%
Post edited by Synergetic on
_Q_

Comments

• pablo200783pablo200783 Member Posts: 96
    Like journey to werewolf island if you listen carefully dialogue explained everything what happen there.
  • SynergeticSynergetic Member Posts: 69

Like journey to werewolf island if you listen carefully dialogue explained everything what happen there.

I am very aware of everything that happened - including the ending.

I am merely curious if anyone else though that there should have been an alternate resolution to what ultimately leads to yet another mass slaughter like the Xvart village and in doing such gaining the ability to remain a werewolf and be a bit more peaceful towards them minus the one antagonist.

• WolfheartWolfheart Member Posts: 170
    I looooveee werewolves!
    Synergetic
  • GrayvieGrayvie Member Posts: 49
    What would be interesting is new dialogue if your player character is a shapeshifter druid. I have no problem with it otherwise.
    _Q_
  • SynergeticSynergetic Member Posts: 69
    Wolfheart said:

I looooveee werewolves!

I couldn't tell xD

• BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    dude, they gave you the butter knife of balurian, what more do you want???
    darkkhaine
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    My reasons:
    1) I'm a sucker for peaceful resolutions, even (and sometimes especially) with cultures/societies commonly considered inferior/evil/whatever. :P
    2) My favorite PC thought that being a werewolf was the best thing ever, and was heartbroken when he had to 'lift the curse' for the sake of his companions, who emphatically didn't think so. (That's how it played in my head, anyway. Game mechanics be damned. :P )
    3) It would make the adventure something more that just a separate episode with no real impact on the rest of the game.
    4) It could create additional conflict within the party, if some of NPC wanted to 'keep' lycanthropy, while the others wanted to get rid of it. (Remember that you can't have both - you either kill the head wolf or you don't - no half ground there). I think that it would be good to have situations when some of your companions leave or outright turn against you, other than the standard 'reputation incompatibility'. Might be just me, though.
    5) And yeah, I love wolves and werewolves. :)
  • SallparadiseSallparadise Member Posts: 94
    I personally have never had the fascination with werewolves that others share, so that has influenced my view.
    Also, I've never been a big fan of the "controlled" change into a werewolf. The whole mythology behind the old werewolf stories was of an uncontrollable curse. Something that you couldn't deal with on a personal level or exert any control over. The whole losing yourself to the mindless animalism inherint in the human condition metaphor.

Now, the caveat being is, since I haven't played werewolf island in a couple of years, I don't remember fully if the islanders could control changing or not or if it was more of the curse as I mentioned.
    Moomintroll
  • MythdraconMythdracon Member Posts: 187
    What I would like changed is that there be a cure to lycanthropy. After killing Selaad my entire party turns into werewolves upon resting or travelling. Even when I kick out my party after killing Selaad, then rest, and then have them rejoin, the problem remains. BUG. GRAH. So annoying that I started a thread about it.

But yes, there should have been a peaceful resolution, or at least the option NOT to accept the "gift" of lycanthropy.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688

What I would like changed is that there be a cure to lycanthropy. After killing Selaad my entire party turns into werewolves upon resting or travelling. Even when I kick out my party after killing Selaad, then rest, and then have them rejoin, the problem remains. BUG. GRAH. So annoying that I started a thread about it.

But yes, there should have been a peaceful resolution, or at least the option NOT to accept the "gift" of lycanthropy.

Don't know if it's a bug, but it definitely isn't new.

This thing happened to me when I played TotSC the first time. After I had barely escaped the horrible island I went to the Friendly Arm Inn to get some well-deserved rest. While I was standing in the common room, I suddenly got a blue screen telling me to insert CD 7 (the add-on CD; normally the order to change the disk had a proper ingame screen).

After I changed the disk, my whole party, except for Charname, turned into werewolves and began slaughtering everyone. Everyone turned hostile, Bentley began casting spells, and after the first couple of patrons were killed, a big strike force of the Flaming Fist teleported in to eliminate me.

So, I loaded the last auto-save and headed to the nearest temple to have remove curse spells cast on everyone in my party. Multiple times. Never had any trouble with lycantropy afterwards.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2012

I personally have never had the fascination with werewolves that others share, so that has influenced my view.
    Also, I've never been a big fan of the "controlled" change into a werewolf. The whole mythology behind the old werewolf stories was of an uncontrollable curse. Something that you couldn't deal with on a personal level or exert any control over. The whole losing yourself to the mindless animalism inherint in the human condition metaphor.

Now, the caveat being is, since I haven't played werewolf island in a couple of years, I don't remember fully if the islanders could control changing or not or if it was more of the curse as I mentioned.

From what I've read online about the forgotten realms, if you are born with the curse, as the islanders were, you can control it (this may have to be learned I'm not sure). But people who just get the curse over the course of their lifetime cannot and will turn into a werewolf during a full moon involuntarily. So to answer your question the islanders can control the curse.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I like the Dresden Files version:

There are like four different kinds of werewolves all with different rules. Some are cursed and must be killed with inherited silver and are death machines; they can't control their change. Some are given the power to change into wolves, usually via a magic belt, by a sorceror or dark power. Some learn how to change into wolves as a sort of one trick use of magic. Some are wolves that have learned how to change into people.