Skip to content

All you wanted to know about Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear ("Adventure Y" previously)

Comments

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited March 2015
    bengoshi said:

“To me that’s the last check mark of yes, we can stand on our own two feet. Yes we can create our own content and its good, and fans will enjoy it.”

An interesting conclusion, given that there's no consensus that Beamdog's content thus far was good and that fans enjoyed it. At best, you can say the reception has been mixed, even here.
    @Anduin: No need to be disingenuous. Go ahead and Google Hexxat, see what people who played the EEs say about her here and elsewhere. Look up the Youtube LPs and see what new content those players chose to access, and what content they didn't. Listen to what they have to say.

I said reception of the new content was mixed. That's not opinion, it's a fact - one with no shortage of evidence behind it. You can choose to interpret that fact in whatever way you wish, that's up to you.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Disliking Hexxat does not mean disliking BG2EE, let alone BG1EE and IWDEE. Thats a bit of a leap.

I am not saying everyone likes the EEs, as Enilwyn said not everyone is going to like everything, let alone the granularities of how an idea is implemented.
    edited March 2015
    @DreadKhan: It was an example. I didn't think I needed to spell that out.

@deltago: What part of "the reception has been mixed, even here" is giving you difficulty? Some people liked it, some people didn't. That's a long way from marketing your new game by saying people just loved the last one.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    shawne said:

DreadKhan: It was an example. I didn't think I needed to spell that out.

deltago: What part of "the reception has been mixed, even here" is giving you difficulty? Some people liked it, some people didn't. That's a long way from marketing your new game by saying people just loved the last one.

the part of you bringing it up and it having nothing to do with what Trent said, or anything else related in this post.
    My problem with your example though is that it is very, very limited. Hexxat is a small part of BG2EE. A great counter point is how many games manage mediocre scores from critics, and as a result are economicly unsucessful. Or movies that are Criticly Acclaimed, but a tedious bore to nearly everyone and are limited to a small viewership.

Heck, Star Trek was a big flop originally. But a plurality of fans offered enough support for quite a few movies, and eventually, the reboot Next Generation.

Ultimately, the Market Will Decide, as this is capitalism.
    @DreadKhan: When the subject of discussion is Beamdog content, then no, that's not a small part at all. And regardless, as I said, it's just one example - there are others. You really don't have to look too far or too hard.

The point, for @deltago's benefit, is that the EEs weren't universally well-received. If that's the assumption and the standard Beamdog's working with, there's no reason to believe the next one will be any better.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    shawne said:

The point, for deltago's benefit, is that the EEs weren't universally well-received. If that's the assumption and the standard Beamdog's working with, there's no reason to believe the next one will be any better.

Dragon Age 2 wasn't universally well-received either. Yet had 3 expansions that addressed the concerns of their loyal fan base. Did everyone buy the expansions and praise them? No. But it allowed Bioware to increase their profits, determine how large of a loyal fan base the franchise had and used what they learned from the experience to release a much improved gaming experience with Inquisition.

Your reasoning suggests Bioware should of thrown in the towel of Dragon Age franchise because it wasn't well-received and the standards that they were working with were lacking.

It doesn't, and never works that way.
    shawne said:

@DreadKhan: When the subject of discussion is Beamdog content, then no, that's not a small part at all. And regardless, as I said, it's just one example - there are others. You really don't have to look too far or too hard.

The point, for @deltago's benefit, is that the EEs weren't universally well-received. If that's the assumption and the standard Beamdog's working with, there's no reason to believe the next one will be any better.

The problem is that even if every single player disliked Hexxat, that would only prove that Hexxat is disliked. The EEs are much more than just Hexxat. Additionally, there are also plenty of examples of positive feedback. So, either we must disregard one subset of the data, or we have to accept there is no unanimous decisions on Hexxat.

Looking at Metacritic, http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/baldurs-gate-ii-enhanced-edition we see a decent average score, for a rework of an old game. None of the reviews from the critics are poor, note.

I still accept that not everyone likes the EEs, but that does not prove that there is not a significant number of people interested in Adventure Y, or that believe that Beamdog is the team to do it.
  • DullSkullTheSecondDullSkullTheSecond Member Posts: 243
    @Shawne As much as I dislike your what"I"wouldconsidertobetrolling I must say I enjoy the interesting discussion that follows. Thank you for your contribution.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I say 420,000!