Skip to content

Candlekeep

Tom23Tom23 Member Posts: 6
does anyone think it would be cool to protect it from invasion or siege
Xavioria

Comments

• byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    Candlekeep is cool :) Would be a good place to defend in a siege :)
    e3r4t5ynXavioria
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    @Silverstar

Hmm well maybe one of the books is worth millions in gold lol
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    It's not that hard to envision scenarios wherein Candlekeep could be under siege. The Sword Coast wilderness is teaming with monsters of all kinds. There could easily be some sort of organized assault.
  • SallparadiseSallparadise Member Posts: 94
    I'm sure the only people that would potentially buy a book worth that much......would be in candlekeep.

It's never good business to kill your supplier and your market at the same time.
    Syntia13
  • SmaugSmaug Member Posts: 216

Who'd want to invade a castle full of books? It's easier to just get a library card in Baldur's Gate or Athkatla surely.

I laughed for a solid 2 minutes at this.

QuartzSilverstarbyrne20Moomintroll
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Candlekeep is like the Realms' version of the Library of Alexandria. Mages could be after it for the rare spellbooks/workbooks of mages that it owns, or just a book with a hint as to where a fantastic magical treasure lies. It's also something like a temple to Deneir, since he's the God of Knowledge.
    Xavioria
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    edited August 2012
    I am on the fence about this. On one hand, of course I would rush to the aid of Candlekeep should it ever come under siege.

On the other hand, I'd hate to see such an important place that has raised more than one hero ever come under attack. Then again, I am very rarely happy to see good places be under attack, especially if it appears the attackers will succeed.
  • SmaugSmaug Member Posts: 216
    I think it would be cool if any siege took the cliche, fantasy literature form of an army of mind-controlled monsters whose master(s) are hell bent on stealing the secrets of Candlekeep. This is a convenient excuse for any fighting to be diverse. It's not just an army of one monster type we're fighting, but a hodge-podge of monsters that usually don't get along but are mind-controlled into cooperation to get at that gooey, chocolatey center of literary goodness that is the heart of Candlekeep.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    Isn't Aulaundo buried there? Not only that, but his prophecies are there too.

Knowledge is power... Where is a better place to attack for such a thing as knowledge.
    Talvraebyrne20GemHound
  • odeeodee Member Posts: 87
    How about friendly arms , seem a formidable fort too .
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    LadyRhian said:

Candlekeep is like the Realms' version of the Library of Alexandria. Mages could be after it for the rare spellbooks/workbooks of mages that it owns, or just a book with a hint as to where a fantastic magical treasure lies. It's also something like a temple to Deneir, since he's the God of Knowledge.

Ohgma's more the general knowledge guy, while Deneir is more symbols, literature, and art.
    Xavioria said:

Isn't Aulaundo buried there? Not only that, but his prophecies are there too.

Knowledge is power... Where is a better place to attack for such a thing as knowledge.

Not bad ideas, but except for getting a hold of Alaundo's corpse for whatever reason, it'd be easier to just buy your way inside like Koveras did and do some peaceful studying.
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    edited August 2012
    Xavioria said:

Knowledge can indeed lead to power, but if Candlekeep were to be attacked, the person/people responsible should be aware of the likely long term consequences of multiple factions hunting them down for the rest of their lives, and I doubt crossing borders to another nation would stop that.

It would likely take a band of epic level characters to survive after committing such a deed.

EDIT: Come to think of it, even the Harpers *may* hunt those responsible.

Post edited by Anduine on
  • CCarluNNCCarluNN Member Posts: 200
    Hmm, I remember candlekeep being mostly surrounded by water, with a narrow bridge-like path being the only way to access it by land. If the attackers are on foot then

"we will funnel them into the narrow path, where their numbers will count for nothing, and wave after wave will smash against our shields!"
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited August 2012
    CCarluNN said:

Hmm, I remember candlekeep being mostly surrounded by water, with a narrow bridge-like path being the only way to access it by land. If the attackers are on foot then

"we will funnel them into the narrow path, where their numbers will count for nothing, and wave after wave will smash against our shields!"

Like the Spartan 300's defense at the pass of Thermopylae, heh. DesiSmileys.com

I'm not sure about whether that narrow pass to the entrance to Candlekeep exists in canon, but at least in the game that is definitely a strategic chokepoint.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    The image of Candlekeep in the Campaign Setting has it as an even more impenetrable cliff fortress so...yes.

Considering the location and vast amount of magical protections, as well as a legion of mages inside (being guests or residents), I don't think anyone's stupid enough to attack Candlekeep. And if someone would be that dimwitted, I doubt the siege would take any more work than sitting around, waiting for the attackers to throw themselves to death on the wards before the Ancient Silver Dragon Ghost who dwells below the castle devours the rest.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    NONESENSE, anyone attempting to siege Candlekeep would first need to kill the Keeper of the Portal. And we all know how that would end up :

Army leader : "CHAAARGE!"
    Keeper of the Portal : "Hoooold traveler, before you are allowed entry, you must donate a tome of great value to our library!"
    Army leader : "Don't listen, attack him!!!"

*six hours later-- thousands of bodies on the ground as one man stands on his feet, in front of the army leader*
    Army leader : "DAMN YOU, why don't you just DIE?!"
    Keeper of the Portal : "Hoooold traveler, before you are allowed entry, you must donate a tome of great value to our library!"
    MoomintrollSirK8byrne20Schneidend
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Most librarians I've been exposed to would make more suitable dungeon inhabitants than staunch, castle defenders.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Going about this backwards...

Why don't we set the library on fire then try and save everyone by keeping them out of Candlekeep!
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    @Anduin because burning books is the ultimate evil!
    @Moomintroll Depends on the book... I would gladly burn all Harry Potter books off the face of the planet using a flamethrower attached to an oil refinery!!!!

Sorry lost myself there...
    Harry Potter not that bad... Just read them too many times...
  • CCarluNNCCarluNN Member Posts: 200
    What if:

- Gorion did not follow E's advice to leave Candlekeep with CHARNAME
    - Gorion did not receive E's letter* in time, or did not read it
    - E did not send Gorion that letter at all

Would CHARNAME's life still be in danger? Who would somehow sneak in Candlekeep and kill CHARNAME, more 'dangerous' guys like Carbos and Shank? Seems to me Candlekeep wasn't entirely safe and secure.

*that letter you find on Gorion's body just outside Candlekeep
  • SallparadiseSallparadise Member Posts: 94
    It would be far easier for someone of wealth aka to the Iron Throne to get into Candlekeep and stage an accident.
    Honestly, who would you believe, the extremely wealthy leaders of the Iron Throne or an old harper and his bastard kid?
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

It would be far easier for someone of wealth aka to the Iron Throne to get into Candlekeep and stage an accident.
    Honestly, who would you believe, the extremely wealthy leaders of the Iron Throne or an old harper and his bastard kid?

Well, seeing as I imagine I'd be on the Iron Throne payroll were I a Faerunian, I might be a little biased...