Skip to content

The Cleric/Thief support group.

LiggLigg Member Posts: 187
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
I'd like to start an activist network to encourage all those who actually like the cleric/thief to come out and say so. It has to be the most maligned multi-class. Tiaxaphobic comments like, 'I don't get it,' or 'It's just useless' litter the internet.
Fed up being turned away from Feldeposts even though the sign in the window says 'rooms available'? Had enough of the 'special seating area' at the Five Flagons theater? Unite here and make a stand.

They mightn't wield giant swords. Instead they are like the swiss army knife of classes.

If you have no issues with giving a multi-class a kit then they can be great.

Try Priest of Helm/Thief.
You get free True Sights - which can't be sneezed at. You also get Seeking Sword: a +3 weapon at 3 attacks per round. Did you know you can backstab with seeking sword? Add Righteous Magic for strength and maximum damage. Then Add the HLA Asassination.
BrudeSCARY_WIZARDSpace_hamsterOxford_GuyVon_Craven

Comments

• neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    edited September 2012
    I play one (lady gnome). :)
    I like the duhm + backstab, I like sanctuary scouting but the biggest bonus (for me) is having the utility of the two classes in one character, not needing an extra party member for the mandatory priest buffs and emergency heals and debuff removals and not needing an extra party member as a thief. Since I'm not very impressed with most of the cleric HLAs I'm glad to be able to fill my levels with Spike Traps, UAI and the rest of the thief goodies (the best thing the devs did is put the HLA lists in common for multi-class :P)

It's a matter of taking the 2 classes without which I wouldn't have an enjoyable playthrough and leaving 5 slots for almost any NPC combination so I can see more interactions.

It's true that it's not my favourite class but it's my fourth favourite, behind sorcerer, mage and bard and the only multi-class on which I managed a full playthrough. :)
    DazzuBrude
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Cleric/Thief is great. Staff of the Ram +6 and priest buffs = GOOD LORD LOOK AT THAT DAMAGE
    Mokona
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    edited September 2012
    Eww..a criminal priest - not to far from reality, but from an ideal stand point, I don't like it very much. If to say something about the role-playing side of it, the crook priest should not benefit any spells, kinda like the fallen ranger, and taking advantage of people. As for the tech part, clearly I have nothing to say; guess you can skip my opinion.

Edit: For the tech part of the game, I say just follow PnP as close as possible.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Best backstabs in the game come all from Cleric/Thieves, easily. Plus, with Holy Power, Draw Upon Holy Might and Righteous Magic trio combo you're basically a kensai with armor and with backstab multiplier with 25 strength. What is there NOT to like for god's sake?
  • LiggLigg Member Posts: 187
    Zafiro said:

Eww..a criminal priest - not to far from reality, but from an ideal stand point, I don't like it very much. If to say something about the role-playing side of it, the crook priest should not benefit any spells.

Surely evil priests would have no moral issues with thieving.
    And what about Friar Tuck, one of Robin Hood's merry men. Rob from the rich - give to the poor and all that. That sounds like a good standpoint.
    Or a priest of Illmater - rob from everyone so everyone is poor.

ArchaonRexfaroensis
    Hah, Robin Hood reference twice in like an hour. I believe the mission of a priest is different. And yet I strongly agree one has the right to take things in one's hands.
  • KlonoaKlonoa Member Posts: 93
    We just finished playing a SOA game with a cleric of Helm recently. You're right the true seeing came in handy a lot, also pretty useful at the higher levels. I would do it again :)

Unfortunately anything that the sword was pretty useful for usually killed me before I could kill it. I'm not going to say what that thing is because I'm sure there's some secret technique that I'm not privy to early on XD
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Wouldn't a cleric thief get like time stop traps, use any weapon, backstab, and all the buffs of a cleric? They come across as being a very versatile choice.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    the thing I dont like about cleric thief is the interface problem. I have to click a button (f12) and then another button every time I need to disarm trap?
    QuartzAnton
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2012
    I'm adding the cleric/thief as my next option for a future playthrough (perhaps even bg1ee).
    Dragonspear
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    bbear said:

the thing I dont like about cleric thief is the interface problem. I have to click a button (f12) and then another button every time I need to disarm trap?

Right?! This is why I never want to run a Cleric/Thief. Any of the other abilities are less-often used, but no, the most versatile button is the one that's in the F12. Beamdog should change that. Agree with sandmanCCL, it should be Turn Undead.
  • MyvalMyval Member Posts: 127
    You don't even have to be a 'thief' to make it work. Swashbuckler/Cleric, could easily be a Priest of Vulkar. Though I myself have never play the combo before, never was much one to play a 'thief' character.
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324
    Cleric/Thief is a sick combination. Being able to use thieving skills while under Sanctuary alone is enough to make it viable - run around with him disarming all the traps in a dungeon while enemies ignore him, and walk your party through with no fear. The potential for backstabbing goes without saying. And, as others have said, it's a great class that gets all your support roles in one - even if you've got a second priest, it's nice to have a C/T so your priest can focus on more offensive stuff.
    [Deleted User]vladpen
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    Zafiro said:

Eww..a criminal priest - not to far from reality, but from an ideal stand point, I don't like it very much. If to say something about the role-playing side of it, the crook priest should not benefit any spells, kinda like the fallen ranger, and taking advantage of people. As for the tech part, clearly I have nothing to say; guess you can skip my opinion.

Edit: For the tech part of the game, I say just follow PnP as close as possible.

Zafiro, I think once again you're overlooking what a cleric is in D&D compared with reality. In the Forgotten Realms there are tons of different gods, each with their own morality, followers etc. It's all very well saying you want to be a goodly cleric who only heals, but there are loads of gods who would be more than happy for their clerics to steal or backstab (although not literally stab, apparently).
    QuartzBrudeDragonspear
    edited September 2012
    @salieri, yeah, my bad; I've been talking about the cleric on two separate discussion today, and forgot to mention in this one as well, that my words don't probably fit with D&D at all.
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    On that note.. would you like to Add Thief/Mage/Cleric Multiclass?
    Dragonspear
  • LiggLigg Member Posts: 187
    The interface is a pain and turn undead would have been the better choice as the hidden button. I don't know how many people play on the lowest resolution (640 x 480, is it?). But I think there was room for more buttons.
    I've heard that the interface will be fully customisable. Is that true?
    In the mean time I have customised my keyboard a lot. 2 keys near my left hand: one for special abilities, one for thieving. Two taps.
    Saves on the repititive strain injury.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Anton said:

On that note.. would you like to Add Thief/Mage/Cleric Multiclass?

Maybe a FCT. Need the fighter's extra attacks and I think this combo overrides the cleric only use blunt weapons.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    FCT and FMCT are both on my list of "classes to add"

Sure we might only be 9/9/9/10 at the end of ToB but at least then we truly can "do it all"
  • KenKen Member Posts: 226
    Thief/Mage/Cleric would be so sweet!

I can be a mage, and not having to worry about having a thief or cleric NPC.

I just don't know if I should make a Cleric/Thief Half-Orc or a Kensai/Mage

C/T: Something new, I get to use two classes that I never really play in one! But I do not like the fact that I'm a half-orc (And no, definatly wont be a Gnome)

Kensai/Mage: Haven't tried this fully, besides, being a Kensai will be a challenge the first levels in BG1 (I like challenges). And I usually play a human Sorcerer, because I love being human, and having magic.

• CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727

I agree there. I always went to make my own hotkey for the thief button in Config somewhere whenever I played a cleric/thief to get around that.

They shoulda put the Turn Undead button in the special abilities menu rather than the thieving one, imo.

Or simply remove the second weapon slot - let's be honest : Mage/Thief doesn't get one, why would a Cleric/Thief get a second one? :P

But admittedly, turn undead seems more plausible as it's less useful than a second weapon slot is.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    @Lemernis

If you do get a voice actor please record all voice clips in a professional sound recording booth. So many of the community made NPCs have god awful PC mic recordings that set my hairs on edge.
    Rexfaroensis
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    @Lemernis
    I hope you have time to complete the NPC. His background sounds very interesting... also, find out what sort of bribes work best for the Drama student; use all the tools at your disposal :D
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    @Jax

Probably the best I will be able to do is set the actor up with the tools to do it at home, such that the basic quality is at least 'good'. This is... uh.. a low budget project. :) All the actor would be getting from the deal is a credit to add to his resume. I wouldn't be paying for studio time.

Do you think 'good enough' is achievable with mic available at Best Buy or Staples and a freeware application via C-net?
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited September 2012
    @neleothesze

Lol. Hey, a credit is something to add to a resume. He could include a sample sound clip in a digital version of his resume. It's also a chance for a student to do something fun. If the character and story are well written that should help.

I imagine his voice something roughly like Mickey Rourke's Marv from Sin City. Although this character clearly isn't coming from the same place motivationally, and he's not not a hardbitten berserker like Marv. Just in terms of the tone and gravel.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this thread. I can start one for the character in Off Topic if there's interest.