Skip to content

[Request] Better / Consistent Weapon material flag's (Silver/Cold Iron)

DarkersunDarkersun Member Posts: 398
Hello I would like to request a small mod (I hope it is small)
It would be nice to have a little bit better distribution of spacial material flags for weapons.

There was a big thread (or 2) about how to hit the greater wolfwere.
It seems the wolfwere can only be hitted with Silver/Cold Iron.

The Items that have this flags are:
3 Bastard swords - Kondar, Sword of Balduran, Albruin (so many)
1 Long sword - Flame Tongue
1 Dagger - Dagger Werebane

All are sharp weapons.
There are no Maces, Morning Stars or Fails, Spears, 2 handed weapons that have a special material flag.
No Range Weapon option as well.

Clubs and Staffs makes sense for me but even a stuff could be made out of special iron.

So my request would be:
Have a better distribution of those flags or some new items (maybe 1 that you can find on the werewolf island)
that include other weapon types.

Any ideas an criticism would be welcome.

Comments

• ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    What I like it's not the idea per se (I'm neutral about your proposal), but the fact that you're asking this as a mod instead of Feature Request :-)
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I would add the Cold Iron flag to the Staff of Striking and certain specific other weapons, in order to simplify the process of adding new items to the game. I like the idea, though; it always kind of bothered me that there's this really powerful enemy that can only be killed with certain very specific weapons (with which your character could easily be non-proficient).
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited April 2014
    I made a WEIDU mod to add the silver and cold iron properties to the Aule's Staff which is sold in Ulgoth's Inn.

I've also decided to increase his price from 5500 to 7500 gold (base price; actual price as usual will depend on reputation and charisma), based on the consideration that a staff made of silver should be more expensive than a standard one.

For the time being I didn't change the item description, but I may eventually release a second version with a custom description. Maybe I'll just replace

"It appears to have a core of iron"

with

"It appears to have a core of silver"

but feel free to suggest something different.

In case you're wondering this is how I patched the staff:

COPY_EXISTING ~staf08.itm~ ~override~ // Aule's Staff
    PATCH_IF SOURCE_SIZE > 0x71 BEGIN
    READ_BYTE 0x19 fl // Read Flags (2nd byte only)
    WRITE_BYTE 0x19 (fl BOR 0b00000011) // Add Silver & Cold Iron Flags
    WRITE_LONG 0x34 7500 // New Price
    END
    BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

This is my first WEIDU mod, so any feedback would be much appreciated.

Many thanks to @Wisp for his WEIDU tutorial, without which I wouldn't been able to do it.

Edit: Version 6 can be found here.
    Post edited by Erg on
  • DarkersunDarkersun Member Posts: 398
    Hey, cool. I will try it, but will take some time, becasue I just started a new playthrough.