Skip to content

EE Keeper, Updated to v1.0.4

Comments

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited August 2015
    @Natreg, I only just realised—an oversight on my part. When I added audio resource to the string finder as a new column, I forgot to also change the index of column. It will likely always return 0 at the moment. I'll get that fixed as soon as possible. Thanks for the heads-up. Additional note: this also affects the name picker since it uses the same code.

As for editing the journal entry: actual edits to entries which are stored in the TLK file are unlikely to ever make it in—I won't say that for certain, as I am looking at making it possible to edit the contents of the SAV file (the compressed file that comes along with the GAM file). Editing or adding existing user entries won't be in until that happens. That's not a bug, it's a limitation as of current.

I might get that fixed next weekend. The first bit was easy. I won't make any guarantees on the second item. :-)
  • NatregNatreg Member Posts: 100
    Troodon80 said:

@Natreg, I only just realised—an oversight on my part. When I added audio resource to the string finder as a new column, I forgot to also change the index of column. It will likely always return 0 at the moment. I'll get that fixed as soon as possible. Thanks for the heads-up. Additional note: this also affects the name picker since it uses the same code.

As for editing the journal entry: actual edits to entries which are stored in the TLK file are unlikely to ever make it in—I won't say that for certain, as I am looking at making it possible to edit the contents of the SAV file (the compressed file that comes along with the GAM file). Editing or adding existing user entries won't be in until that happens. That's not a bug, it's a limitation as of current.

I might get that fixed next weekend. The first bit was easy. I won't make any guarantees on the second item. :-)

Thanks for que quick reply. At least it would be nice to be able to select the string reference number so that I can select an entry from the game strings.

I noticed something else as well, when trying to find one of the journal entries, I couldn't find it at first, the problem was that the string size was way too small by default (20) for showing the journal entries. At least on the journal searching part it would be nice to have a bigger default string size. Just a suggestion :)

@Natreg,
    Natreg said:

the problem was that the string size was way too small by default (20) for showing the journal entries. At least on the journal searching part it would be nice to have a bigger default string size. Just a suggestion :)

I'll make the length customisable.
  • joliekillerjoliekiller Member Posts: 37
    i'm having a problem. Whenever i download the eekeeper from the site http://sourceforge.net/projects/eekeeper/?source=typ_redirect
    and start the program, my anti virus deletes the file (ws.reputation.1) it says. A few days back it worked fine, but i didnt put it on my harddrive back then :( any idea on how to solve this?
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    WS.reputation exists in Norton products but, if you read information from their site, it does not state that this is a virus. The antivirus just says it doesn't know this software and very few people using the antivirus use the software.
    If you trust the place you downloaded from, you can ignore the "threat" and restore the file from the quarantine as shown on the page (although the screens are from an older version).
  • joliekillerjoliekiller Member Posts: 37
    I read the info too and did put it out of quarantine. At first it deleted the file again. This morning it worked and stayed :) thx for the info and help
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    I can't make it work with Icewind Dale.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

I can't make it work with Icewind Dale.

It's been working fine with my IWD:EE. Give us some more details and maybe we can figure it out.
  • Brer_RabbitBrer_Rabbit Member Posts: 159
    @Troodon80:

Just a suggestion-- in your very first post in this thread, list mobile devices as compatible if they are compatible. I've been ignoring this as I'm an Android user (woe is me!) until I kept seeing posts about iOS and Android systems in here.

Unless they're testing, in which case ignore me.

Oh, and a short (3 sentences or so) summary of what your mod does could help. I see its an editor, but I don't know if its used as a building block for other mods (I see this app come up EVERYWHERE) or is an entirely separate beast.
    @Brer_Rabbit, it's not compatible with those operating systems. Compatible operating systems are listed, incompatible operating systems are not. People using it with iOS and Android are doing so by using it on Windows/Linux/Mac (latter two using Wine/Wineskin) and transferring their game folder (if possible) and save games over from the mobile device, then copying the save games back once edited. If you cannot copy the installed game folder from your device due to security, then you can use a copy obtained on the other platforms from Beamdog, Steam, or GOG. If you don't have any other copies or you can't copy the game folder, you're going to be out of luck. While I did think about it early on, I have no future plans to make it compatible with mobile devices. There are three reasons for this:
    • Security on mobile devices to some extent prohibit accessibility to anything not belonging to the designated application itself. This applies more to recent versions of iOS.
    • Terms of service is a legal beast that prohibits modification of files not belonging to the designated application.
    • I'm on the Beamdog team, so a Beamdog team member breaking the terms of service on either iOS or Android by making/publishing an editor specifically designed for the purposes of modifying content not belonging to it could potentially cost Beamdog a sales outlet. It's a slim possibility, but it's not a chance I'm willing to take. Blame Apple/Google. If they relax some of the terms of service and security, I will absolutely consider it and make it a priority.

I see its an editor, but I don't know if its used as a building block for other mods (I see this app come up EVERYWHERE) or is an entirely separate beast.

Entirely different beast. It can be used to edit save games, creatures, and characters. It is not used in conjunction with other mods and mods do not rely on it. Having said that, it should be able to detect mod files and other additions—such as kits, for example—but otherwise it is entirely external from the game itself. I've added that basic information under the Info heading in the first post.

(I see this app come up EVERYWHERE)

Not sure what you mean—are you seeing it available for download elsewhere or are you just seeing it mentioned? It pops up every now and then here on the forum, but the only 'official' place to download (for Windows) is from SourceForge.

• GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    Pretty sure he meant it's a very popular (and useful!) app that is very often recommended to solve issues.

Pretty sure he meant it's a very popular (and useful!) app that is very often recommended to solve issues.

This was what I meant, thank you. And thank you for the insight, @Troodon80. My search continues!
    @Brer_Rabbit, addendum:
    Troodon80 said:

While I did think about it early on, I have no future plans to make it compatible with mobile devices.

I have no future planes to make versions that will run on mobile devices, but I have made some changes in the past so that it will open/extract archives directly once copied from the mobile device to the user's ./Documents/GameName folder on Windows; for example, files with the extensions *.bg1save (save game files), *.bg1character (exported character files), etc. will be extracted into their appropriate folders rather than the user needing to rename them to *.zip and extract them manually.
    Troodon80 said:

@Brer_Rabbit, addendum:

Troodon80 said:

While I did think about it early on, I have no future plans to make it compatible with mobile devices.

I have no future planes to make versions that will run on mobile devices, but I have made some changes in the past so that it will open/extract archives directly once copied from the mobile device to the user's ./Documents/GameName folder on Windows; for example, files with the extensions *.bg1save (save game files), *.bg1character (exported character files), etc. will be extracted into their appropriate folders rather than the user needing to rename them to *.zip and extract them manually.
    Haha, that's pretty awesome, actually. Must've taken quite some time to code! Sadly, I don't have a computer copy of BGEE, so it looks like I'm pretty much SOL unless I want to stick to just swapping portraits for all my "modding" needs. (sad panda)
  • IRapeMyselfIRapeMyself Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys Imma new in Baldurs gate 2 and stuff , great tool btw , i will need it espacially because im the type of guy starts the game 50 times just to be happy with class stats and stuff.

Well my question is how to i modify my Atack/round , i make it to 5 and it will be on 5 but after i changed my weapon the Atack/round is one again ... and at all is there a tutorial for EE keeper somewhere ? (Espacially for the effect Tab tho..... to high for me)

Greetz

Btw. SRY for my bad english !
  • CasualCreedCasualCreed Member Posts: 4
    I cant get it to work for Icewind Dale, and I have tried (I also used EE Keeper/Shadow Keeper for vanilla Icewind Dale, but just cant get it to work now).

G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition\data\ (Iv tried without "data")

C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition\save (Iv tried many varients of this as well).

Early in my attempts I could choose language, I cant any more. Iv deleted EE Keeper and re-downloaded, and still cant choose language.

-If you cant see whats wrong, can someone please make me a warrior as listed below? I put 5 weapon talents into the wrong weapon :/

Fighter
    Halfling
    5 points in Flail/morningstar
    2 points into two weapon style
    xp: 250949

Strenght: 17
    Dexterity: 19
    Constitution: 18
    Intelligence: 10
    Wisdom: 15
    Charisma: 12

Please, I grew up with this game and I really wanna keep going, but a fuckup of this magnitude just leaves me not wanting to play.
    Oh and he is Chaotic Evil
  • IRapeMyselfIRapeMyself Member Posts: 2

I cant get it to work for Icewind Dale, and I have tried (I also used EE Keeper/Shadow Keeper for vanilla Icewind Dale, but just cant get it to work now).

G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition\data\ (Iv tried without "data")

C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition\save (Iv tried many varients of this as well).

Early in my attempts I could choose language, I cant any more. Iv deleted EE Keeper and re-downloaded, and still cant choose language.

-If you cant see whats wrong, can someone please make me a warrior as listed below? I put 5 weapon talents into the wrong weapon :/

Fighter
    Halfling
    5 points in Flail/morningstar
    2 points into two weapon style
    xp: 250949

Strenght: 17
    Dexterity: 19
    Constitution: 18
    Intelligence: 10
    Wisdom: 15
    Charisma: 12

Please, I grew up with this game and I really wanna keep going, but a fuckup of this magnitude just leaves me not wanting to play.

Theory : you should be able to make ur character in Baldurs gate 1/2 and drasg the character file into icewind dale ,But i dunno if it works ...... still its worth a try tho

Theory : you should be able to make ur character in Baldurs gate 1/2 and drasg the character file into icewind dale ,But i dunno if it works ...... still its worth a try tho

Would that still make the warrior level 9? I dont really understand what you are saying. I can make a new warrior and add it to the party, the issue is giving it the xp.

-If someone made the warrior I listed above, I could just download the 1mb (or less, I dono) file and import the character into my current savegame (trough the multiplayer savegame, and then copy that file into single player)
    I had to sleep on it, but found a solution once I started the game. (was this what you ment IRapeMyself?). Just made a heart of winter character and imported it, dude is near identical :D
    @CasualCreed,

For reference, the paths should be:

G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition\
    C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition\

Make sure you leave the checkbox unchecked if you have the desktop version of the game and you want to use its save folder. Once you enter in the \steamapps\common\Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition\ destination, you should be able to pick a language.
  • xaze1138xaze1138 Member Posts: 5
    When using android tablet how would I set this up so I can edit saved game data?
    @xaze1138, firstly, as mentioned above, it won't run on an Android tablet.

Pre-requisites:
    • A PC, desktop or laptop, running Linux (Wine), Mac (Wineskin), or Windows.
    • A means to connect your Android device to the PC.
    • 7-Zip, WinRAR, or other archive utility of your choice.
    Your Android device, when connected to a PC via USB, should show up as a folder/drive. Open the drive and browse to:
    /Android/obb/
    Select the game you want:
    • com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition
    • com.beamdog.baldursgateIIenhancededition
    • com.beamdog.icewinddale
    Enter the folder, and find two OBB files. One will be 'main' and one will be 'patch' followed by the version/build (this number will be different depending on your device) and game name.

These folders are archives and can be opened with an unpacker of your choice (since I'm on Linux at the moment, I'm using Archive Manager).

These archives contain the same basic structure as the Linux, Mac, or Windows versions of the games, minus the executable. You can transfer these 'main' and 'patch' files to your PC and extract their contents to a folder of your choice. After that, using Keeper is the same as normal—locate the folder you are using for the game directory and set the path accordingly.

You can find the save games in their respective folders located in:
    /Android/data/
    They follow the same folder naming convention above:
    • com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition
    • com.beamdog.baldursgateIIenhancededition
    • com.beamdog.icewinddale
    Inside those folders, you will find another folder called /files/, and inside that you will find, or can create, the same folder structure as per any other copy of the game; save, characters, portraits, etc.

So you can grab the game files from Android and set up the game data required for Keeper to run, and grab the save games as well. If you happen to have a copy of the game on Linux, Mac, or Windows, you can use that as the game directory and just grab the save games.
  • realnzallrealnzall Member Posts: 7
    Could you please upload this to someplace else than Sourceforge? Recently, Sourceforge has started to bundle crapware (like adware and malware) with their installers. Chrome, µblock Origin, Norton Security and most other antivirus software no longer trust Sourceforge downloads. Chrome says it can contain malware, µblock just blocks sourceforge entirely and Norton puts the file into quarantine when I try to open it.

This is purely because of Sourceforge and their recent shenanigans. If you upload it someplace else, it should be fixed.
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    Nzall said:

Could you please upload this to someplace else than Sourceforge? Recently, Sourceforge has started to bundle crapware (like adware and malware) with their installers. Chrome, µblock Origin, Norton Security and most other antivirus software no longer trust Sourceforge downloads. Chrome says it can contain malware, µblock just blocks sourceforge entirely and Norton puts the file into quarantine when I try to open it.

This is purely because of Sourceforge and their recent shenanigans. If you upload it someplace else, it should be fixed.

install AdBlock app for Chrome and download a program called malwarebytes. That will deal with the infestation.
    @Nzall @Vasculio,
    Vasculio said:

install AdBlock app for Chrome and download a program called malwarebytes. That will deal with the infestation.

I'd like to point out that EE Keeper is not an infestation unless SourceForge is doing something weird—and as far as I can see the MD5 checksum is the same before uploading and after downloading. What Norton is doing is seeing a false positive, something another person was seeing a few pages back. Short of buying code signing certificate from Symantec/Norton for $400-500, there's nothing I can do about that; the certificate will only last one year and there's no guarantee it will make Norton see the executable as trusty (since I assume it is now on a blacklist of sorts, that requires dozens of people submitting the executable as 'safe' to get it added to a whitelist, and that will change with each new build where something gets added or removed and the checksums change).

Unless someone want to stump up $400-500 per year for a code signing certificate for me, for a 50/50 chance at it working, this likely won't get 'fixed' as I don't know what exactly it is doing to produce the false positive. The easiest thing to do is add an exception for just the executable.

On my computer after zipping it:
    sha1sum EE\ Keeper\ 1.0.3.2.zip
    259d897413dcd1ee7e8f82b92da2b0df3127d446
    PE32 executable (GUI) Intel 80386, for MS Windows

SourceForge
    SHA1: EE Keeper 1.0.3.2.zip
    259d897413dcd1ee7e8f82b92da2b0df3127d446

VirusTotal shows only 1 provider, ViRobot, as having a negative result and as best I can tell it's heuristics [h]. I'll contact them later. Symantic is listed under 'Suspicious' but nothing else, and you can submit it as a false positive here.

I do support the use of MalwareBytes and AdBlocker, though. :-)
  • realnzallrealnzall Member Posts: 7
    I can download the zip file just fine, it's the installer executable labeled with SFX that Norton is complaining about. Sourceforge has been bundling junkware along with their installers since 2013, often even without the project owner's permission: http://www.howtogeek.com/218764/warning-don’t-download-software-from-sourceforge-if-you-can-help-it/

And I do use an adblocker. µBlock Origin is the one recommended by security experts because of a small footprint and no "acceptable ads" shenanigans.
    @Nzall,
    Nzall said:

I can download the zip file just fine, it's the installer executable labeled with SFX that Norton is complaining about. Sourceforge has been bundling junkware along with their installers since 2013, often even without the project owner's permission: http://www.howtogeek.com/218764/warning-don’t-download-software-from-sourceforge-if-you-can-help-it/

And I do use an adblocker. µBlock Origin is the one recommended by security experts because of a small footprint and no "acceptable ads" shenanigans.

I just downloaded the SFX installer and it's the same as the one I uploaded, it's not bundled with anything, so it's just Norton making an assumption. Executable (exe) files are not allowed to be uploaded on the forum, otherwise I'd attach it here. That was the primary reason for not uploading it to the forum in the first place. I'll look at setting up a project on GitHub, or I'll host it privately (not sure which one I'll do yet). If it's only the SFX archive that Norton is giving you trouble with, then you can try to download the zip file instead, just overwrite the executable and Lang folder wherever you installed Keeper before.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I just ran a Virustotal analysis of the installer.

Only 3 antivirus products believe there is any malware in it, Norton is one of them. A clear case of false positive.

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/5302af29b7af91de404080c71c9c5bd957a5acdaa80b7c8ed9105faf54a667eb/analysis/1445180865/

If Bitdefender, Eset and Kaspersky all say the file is clean, it most probably is.

@Troodon80 You should submit the file to Symantec as a false positive.
    @mlnevese,

Interesting. It's weird that they think it's the SFX archive. I've been using WinRAR to create it, and I've been meaning to change to something else anyway given the optional language DLL files. I'll start using Inno Setup in future. I'll do a couple tests and see what it's like on VirusTotal. I have some other stuff to do, but I there's an easy way for Keeper to be installed via an installer and work from the Program Files folder—I can have it look in the /AppData/ folder if there's something to tell the executable to do so. I think I can get that done next weekend and do an update.