Skip to content

Phase I: Save Game Compatibility Test (COMPLETE)

DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
edited November 2013 in The Road to v1.2
A few days ago I said that we would announce the open beta's release date when we were a week out. People seemed to like the transparency of that, but when you get down to it, that doesn't give anyone a realistic idea of how close we are. If you're wondering when the beta will start, all you have for information is vague references to "Soon™", and I think we can do better than that.

A lot better than that.

So here it is, the Road to v1.2:

1. Save Game Compatibility Test
2. Hardware Compatibility Test
3. Core Gameplay Test

At the end of Phase 3, anyone who bought the game through Beamdog.com will have access to the Beta (both Windows and Mac).

4. Multiplayer Stress Test

Once phase 4 is complete, the patch will be officially released.

If you're interested in being a part of this process, keep reading.

- - -

1. Save Game Compatibility Test: 500/500

This patch is huge; make no mistake. There's a reason we're jumping from 1.0.2014 to 1.2. Part of our internal testing involves testing saved games. A lot of saved games.

We don't need any more saved games; thank you all for chipping in so eagerly!

To participate in this part of the process:

- Open your saved games directory (Documents\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\save\)
- Place the folder for your saved game (for example, "000000006-Dee's Save") in a zip file labeled "Save Game Test"
- Attach the zip file to an email with a subject of "Save Game Test" and send that email to me at dpennyway@beamdog.com

Send additional saves as separate emails; that way we can keep track of which games we've tested.

NOTE: SAVES WITHOUT A SUBJECT OF "Save Game Test" (no quotes) WILL NOT BE TESTED.

Do not send modded saves or saves from modded games; they will not be tested.
Do not send Auto-Saves, Quick Saves, or Final Saves.

Once we have tested 500 saves we will move on to testing hardware compatibility.
Post edited by PhillipDaigle on
darrenkuokaguanaAendaeronBluescaleKirinaldoelminster[Deleted User]SchopenhauerShapiroKeatsDarkMageKamigoroshiBadmassMadhaxSkagnetiAndreaColomboPalanthisEffinyBalquoLeoNegusFredjomch202JuliusBorisovMarkySedNecdilzorPadentonLinkamusAristilliusdibAdulermoStarflower2525DiscoCatalnairsilofsepotterEdvinSenashRnRClownElectricMonkMatSutaTheGrapeTyphlosionPugPugnewvillagekamuizinWilburSwordsNotWordsJaySee84Rush_that_speaksHeinrichFlashburnQbertTroodon80fmasterCahirEleutheroscmk24BladeDancerSCARY_WIZARDrdarkenSkydogMadeiraXivirielCoryNewbIgnomungomunkyazgangNonnahswriterartificial_sunlightMusaabspacejawsmagpieCrevsDaak

Comments

• matthileomatthileo Member Posts: 59
    where does android fit into this?
  • AnthedonAnthedon Member Posts: 26
    Good news all around. I'll get on it as soon as I'm sober again.
    KilivitzAdul
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited September 2013
    matthileo said:

where does android fit into this?

Our Android testing is all internal, but it's still going strong.
    SwordsNotWords
  • AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    edited September 2013
    With such exemplary communication, I do not regret having preordered BG2:EE.
    EDIT: Does the Tethtoril Hotfix count as a mod?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Official hot-fixes are okay, just no mods.
    Necdilzor
  • notkingnotking Member Posts: 134
    both Windows and Mac?what aout ios edition?
  • NerdiGamingNerdiGaming Member Posts: 8
    This is exactly what I was looking for and I'm sure others have been as well. Please keep this type of communication up. Thank you for your continued hard work.
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    notking said:

both Windows and Mac?what aout ios edition?

@notking
    IOS through apple store , I think it's quite clear can't hold open beta test
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    edited September 2013
    I just emailed 3 folders via google drive.

Thanks for all your hard work guys, I'm really looking forward to the patch and BG2 :)

Edit: if the lack of zip is an issue. Let me know and I can resend.
  • BadmassBadmass Member Posts: 36
    Boom 27 save folders sent as separate emails. Enjoy!
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I love that you guys are doing it this way! I'll get in on this tomorrow if you still need files, I'm currently in bed and intoxicated.

Do files altered with EEkeeper count as "modded"?
    TJ_Hooker
  • kimmuryielkimmuryiel Member Posts: 89
    any of these include compatibility with NPC Project?
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Madhax said:

Do files altered with EEkeeper count as "modded"?

Yes.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Sent 3 saves, including one pre-1.0.2014. I've no idea if that makes a difference.

Getting excited now.
  • arcdanielarcdaniel Member Posts: 3
    I have send one Save Game of my last new gameplay
  • MusaabMusaab Member Posts: 92
    This is almost like signing a petition. We need to get the word out for people to send saves.
  • AprilApril Member Posts: 39
    I just don't get why you insist upon old save-game compatibility if not doing so would make you release quicker. Making old save-games unusable by patches is hardly unknown practice in the game industry.
  • PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    Too bad i only play with mods, i can't help on this phase. I can't play without SCS these days. I hope i can more useful later...

Not sure how much time each phase will need though. Hardware and core gameplay tests obviously need a lot of work !
  • MusaabMusaab Member Posts: 92
    edited September 2013
    Let's think about it this way: the patch is now waiting on us to send in save games. There are about 50 people online in this forum right now, half are guests. All the people with mods are disqualified. How many people know about this save game request? I feel like this could take a while...am I wrong?
  • LeoNegusLeoNegus Member Posts: 46
    Open Beta for MacOS X? That's the best news since February!

My last save is on the way, happy testing people!
  • DeioDeio Member Posts: 23
    Again, thanks for the good communication @Dee

Do you want it labeled if it's a multiplayer or singleplayer save?
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    :/ too bad, i would love to send you my saves but i'm afraid i had to EEkeeper my savegames because my swashbuckler/cleric did not get his thieving points back at the end of the dual-classing. i dont even remember which saves have been tampered with or not, i do not make noticeable changes. :P
  • ZeratulZeratul Member Posts: 575
    Very good idea! Thank you for your transparency Dee
    JuliusBorisovAdul
  • SpaceQuesterSpaceQuester Member Posts: 6
    Hi, Dee!

What about russian localization in this patch? We waiting it!
    Aodenholodarhappyf1reSomulo_
    Too long we wait for chinese language pack!
  • EsgarethEsgareth Member Posts: 101
    for mortal man, this "Soon" - half year, or full year at all, some people, i think, not want to test it.
    they want just to play, in this game...
    To developer,we are all elves.a long life we must have.
  • alnairalnair Member Posts: 561
    edited September 2013
    Dee said:

1. Save Game Compatibility Test: 0/500
    [...]
    Once we have tested 500 saves we will move on to testing hardware compatibility.

@Dee, is that 0/500 meant to indicate (by means of being edited in) how many savegame you guys have tested already?
    Also, will you please let us know when you've received enough zip files to test?
This discussion has been closed.