Skip to content

Ebon Lash and Hades Hand for Edwin & Xzar

EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
edited November 2013 in General Modding
Greetings all!

I present to you Eudaemonium's First Mod, which I hope works for you. I use a Mac and it installed fine there, so I hope the WeiDU exe I included works for Windows too. I confess I stole the WeiDU exe from @Mortianna's wand case mod and just renamed it. I hope she forgives me. (And that it works.) If it doesn't I hope one of you Windows crowd can help me whip a functioning one up :).

EDIT: Fixed a typo in the Hades Hand description and removed the '+1' from the Ebon Lash's name, since it isn't +1. I also changed the Domination spell on the Lash so that it actually casts Domination instead of a variant of Charm Person.

Basically, I was reading some 2E source material and wanted some cool weapons for two of my homies, Edwin and Xzar, and I'm new to modding so I decided to make a couple of weapons. They're kind of powerful, the latter especially. After installing the mod you'll need to CLUA them in.

The item codes for the weapons are "EBNLSH" and "HDSHND", respectively.

Ebon Lash (EBNLSH)

The first is Edwin's Ebon Lash. The ebon lash is a Thayan black whip that incapacitates and dominates. On each hit the enemy has to pass a saving throw vs wands or be stunned for 1d4 rounds. It also has a once per day casting of Domination. This might sound good, but remember that only Edwin can use it, so you'll need to have him in close combat attacking with his terrible THAC0. It uses Quarterstaff proficiency, which makes no sense but I at least wanted Edwin to be proficient in using it, and that's the one he started with.

The Lash doesn't improve THAC0 or damage, btw. It does the 1d6+1 of all flails. It counts as a magical weapon (+1) for the purposes of hitting things, however.

It looks like a black flail, in case you are curious. It uses staff prof and in its heart it actually believes itself to be a mace (was the only way I could get the animations to work properly). Just some trivia for you all.

Hades Hand +1 (HDSHND)

The Hades Hand is a +1 Dagger usable by Xzar, even if you dual him to Cleric (it is flagged as usable for Chaotic Evil Human Mages, Clerics, Cleric/Mages and Necromancers). Its pretty powerful, and it looks like a fiery green sword because that is totes awesome. The Hades Hand is a special dagger that contains powerful necromantic spells. This one contains Chill Touch, Vampiric Touch, and Contagion.

Basically, in addition to its 1d4+1 damage, the dagger will inflict +1d8 cold damage and a -2 THAC0 penalty (save vs spells negates this), will cast Vampiric Touch to heal the wielder by 1d6 per 2 levels to a maximum of 6d6 at level 12 (I don't know if this is scaling properly, btw), and has a 15% chance of inflicting Contagion, which reduces the enemy's STR, DEX and CHA by 2 (non-cumulative) and causes Slow. Its pretty broken, especially if you use it on a Cleric/Necromancer Xzar wearing the Hands of Takkok while under the effects of DUHM.

Post edited by Eudaemonium on

Comments

• KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I'm testing both (though, not the WeiDu installer) and Xzar's dagger has one massive downside: he has a very good chance to freeze and chunk the target and loot. Dualed, he is very very frontline capable, and though his THAC0 will never be stellar, he hits well enough to make it a very real risk to destroy the loot. I tested the Hades Hand for 30 mins and chunked the hobgoblin with the stealth boots (S of Beregost, admittedly I went very late to get them; well into the city quests already) and then in Baldur's Gate, also chunked the guy with the Golden Axe. If you like to mix things up or just like to live on the edge - that's definitely an interesting added risk.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    @KidCarnival: On the one hand I feel like I should address this issue. On the other I kind of like the idea of it being such high risk to use given its massive pluses. XD
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Frankly, I'd leave it that way. It wasn't intentional, but it does balance it a bit and fits the "chaotic evil" restriction that it's power can not be fully controlled. It is a madman's weapon; and a madman doesn't care what damage he does.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Looking forward to trying them out. Nice work! I could see these as quest-specific items for BG2EE (hint, hint).
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    @Mortianna: hehe, I think adding items as quest-rewards is a bit beyond my modding skills at present! (But perhaps!). Though I'd need to mod the Hades Hand to be usable by others than Xzar, since he isn't in that game, but I'm sure your own necromancer could put it to reasonable use ;)

Looking forward to hearing feedback! =)
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    @Eudaemonium any chance to release a traified version? I'd like to provide Polish translation for it, if possible:)