Skip to content

1394041424345»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    gorgonzolaThacoBellSCARY_WIZARD
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    ThacoBell[Deleted User]

My Invading Predatory Worm Can't Be This Cute?!
    ThacoBell[Deleted User]

From the makers of Never Alone comes an relaxing underwater exploration adventure, which is like literally Blue Planet II - The Game: enter Beyond Blue. And they are working closely with bothf BBC and teams of scientists as well. Noice!

Truly a change of pace from Subnautica with its man-eating leviathans.
    [Deleted User]ThacoBellArvia
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    2f9vbdi8ii68.jpg
    1kjovhqicpl5.jpg
    b1bnuj0loiyv.jpg

oh Lucky that's human breakfast food, not kitty breakfast food!
    [Deleted User]
    edited October 2022
    ZaghoulThacoBellgorgonzolaArvia
    [Deleted User]
    edited October 2022
    KamigoroshiArvia

I imagine this should be rather educational for dog owners.
    gorgonzola

Necromancer's Pet of the Year?
    ThacoBellArvia
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    GUYS. WASPS ARE THE FIRST INVERTIBRATE TO DEMONSTRATE TRANSITIVE INFERENCE.
    https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/wasps-are-first-invertebrates-pass-basic-logic-test-180972148/

I AM SO EXCITED BY THIS. WASPS ARE AWESOME.
    gorgonzolaArvia
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    very interesting.
    but still i think that if the test with the wasps demonstrate for the first time transitive inference maybe the previous one, with honeybees, had a flaw.
    this because the colors are way too important for the honeybees, that also see colors and other things that we don't see, ie they can see polarized light.
    i suspect that is completely possible that also honeybees are able to perform transitive inference, but to test it some other test, that does not use colors, should be used.
    colors are too tied to find food for the bees and this can override the transitive inference, if they are able to use it. finding food is so related to the instinct of survival, that for the honeybees is not survival of the single bee, but of the whole hive, a bee does not have any problem in stinging even if it mean its own death, they use a collective mind and the survival of the hive is their ultimate goal.
    so probably a bee would go for the color-food even if it mean to take an electric shock.

i did read only the article you link, so what i say can be completely wrong, but those are my first thoughts about it, because ALSO HONEYBEES ARE AWESOME :)
    Wasps are a lot more visually oriented than bees, who respond mostly to movement, scent, and color. Wasps differentiate each other by appearance and can even learn to recognize humans by our facial features. They are also more independant than bees, being an actual colony of individuals, rather than the "hive mind" mentality of bees.

In short, anything bees can do, wasps can do better ;)
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    edited February 2020
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Wasps are a lot more visually oriented than bees, who respond mostly to movement, scent, and color. Wasps differentiate each other by appearance and can even learn to recognize humans by our facial features. They are also more independant than bees, being an actual colony of individuals, rather than the "hive mind" mentality of bees.

In short, anything bees can do, wasps can do better ;)

But don't bees make honey better because of that hive mind mentality? I know wasps can make honey, but I was under the impression honey bees are both safer for humans and better at it anyway.

Edit: Never mind, my source was wrong. They don't make honey unless they are one of the rare exceptions like Mexican honey wasps, so honey bees are not only better, wasps just don't do it.
    honey bees are both safer for humans and better at it anyway.
    Tell that to the Africanized bees - also known as killer bees. Those bastards really don't lose to their pet name, I tell ya. :p
    ThacoBellthemazingness
    @themazingness I concede the point about honey. I was thinking more about behaviour and intelligence, rather than what products we use from them.

Bees aren't any safer than wasps, I'd actually argue that wasps are safer under most situations. The big reasons being that they give visible signs of agitation that humans can easily recognize, and that they can be partially domesticated.
    b556tra4opz4.png

See the wasp in the top left? That's the warning they give for "Too close". Respect that, and they will never give you trouble. Going back domestication, wasps will recognize that you back away with their warnings, and will actually allow to get closer with time as they realize you aren't a threat. Bees don't give us that luxury, they rely more on hormones, which we can't really detect, and will swarm and sting when get close until we leave.

Wasps are also just as accomplished pollinators as bees, able to pollinate everything that bees can, as well as many things they can't. Many fruits, for example are wasp pollinated. Especially figs. Every species of fig has a correlating species of wasp. There's also the issue that many honey bees are either non-native, or bred to the extent that they push all competition away and collapse local ecosystems at their level.

Wasps are smarter, more even tempered, and better for the environment. They also look hecka cool.
    gorgonzolathemazingness

Such derpy little sneks~!
    ThacoBellgorgonzola
    edited June 2020
    Okay, so 1: A BELUGA WHALE TAUGHT ITSELF RUDIMENTARY ENGLISH. Just what? Holy crap!

2: What does it say about its caretakers when the whale did so for the express purpose of telling them to essentially screw off?

I cannot get a preview to show, but here's the article link:

https://www.smh.com.au/environment/conservation/who-told-me-to-get-out-beluga-whale-mimics-human-speech-20121023-282cg.html

This was 7 years ago, how did I not hear of this!?
    Post edited by ThacoBell on
    gorgonzola
    ThacoBell
    Arvia