Skip to content

Eve of War [Abandoned]

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    @_Crusher Sounds like a good reason for you to get into modding yourself :)
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • _Crusher_Crusher Member Posts: 10
    elminster said:

Yes, if I had the ability to work you have. :)
    elminster said:

_Crusher said:

elminster said:

Yes, if I had the ability to work you have. :)
    2.5 years ago I knew nothing of modding BG and I had no programming knowledge outside of some basic Turing work in highschool. If this is something you are interested in seeing then the best way of seeing it is taking the initiative. :)
    Thanks for the encouragement, maybe I study about modding it. Anyway I have fun imagining things more than creating.
    elminster
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited February 2016
    elminster said:

2.5 years ago I knew nothing of modding BG and I had no programming knowledge outside of some basic Turing work in highschool. If this is something you are interested in seeing then the best way of seeing it is taking the initiative. :)

@elminster
    How did you start to mod? Where to begin learning to make something excellent?
    A question: is compatible only with the EE version of the game?
    edited February 2016
    brus said:

elminster said:

@elminster
    How did you start to mod? Where to begin learning to make something excellent?
    I started out by downloading Near Infinity

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/708477/#Comment_708477

Poked around with it making some shapeshifting changes and other changes. This let me better understand how the files in the game worked and interacted.

I started working on an NPC mod called Yeorg. In order to get various things working for it I ended up learning how to use Weidu.

http://www.weidu.org/~thebigg/README-WeiDU.html

I did that for awhile and then @CrevsDaak posted a very useful kit modding instructions.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/34119/how-to-making-kit-mods-for-the-ee/p1

I used this and my previous knowledge (as well as some new knowledge I gained about weidu) to make my IWDEE kitpack.

http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/1099-a-frosty-journey-the-iwdee-kitpack/

Since then I've been doing QA work for overhaul (as of April, 2015) and been working on this Eve of War mod.
    brusJuliusBorisovCrevsDaaklolien
    edited February 2016
    _Crusher said:

Yes this mod will only be compatible with the EE version for the game. The reasons for this being

1) The EE's introduce a few new things that this mod will be taking advantage of (stuff that I can't get into until the next BGEE patch/Dragonspear are release).
    2) I'm too lazy to figure out what is/is not compatible with any non-EE setup and I'd much rather spend the time I have for modding on adding or fixing content.
    lolien
    elminster said:

_Crusher said:

Yes this mod will only be compatible with the EE version for the game. The reasons for this being

1) The EE's introduce a few new things that this mod will be taking advantage of (stuff that I can't get into until the next BGEE patch/Dragonspear are release).
    2) I'm too lazy to figure out what is/is not compatible with any non-EE setup and I'd much rather spend the time I have for modding on adding or fixing content.
    Thank you. Although I prefer the classic non-EE game still will be fun to play.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    This might be beyond the scope of this mod, but it'd be nice to see something along the lines of the old virtue mod (I think that was the name). Basically, 'virtue' was separated from reputation. You could be a serial killer, but have a reputation of 20--and be treated like a saint--as long as (eg) you left no witnesses. But you would lose your paladinhood quickly, and I think your alignment would even shift depending on your deeds.
    elminsterlolienGotural
    I'd have to look into the options available. Virtue from what I recall was pretty hacky. It basically renamed another variable (like lore or something) and used that.
    Grammarsalad
    edited March 2016
    elminster said:

I'd have to look into the options available. Virtue from what I recall was pretty hacky. It basically renamed another variable (like lore or something) and used that.

I would think that it would have had to be hacky. Just throwing that out there. The only thing that felt odd was that it seems that with this new option you are offering, a paladin could safely kill an innocent out in the wilderness and, as long as there are no witnesses, not fall. (though, i really don't like the whole 'falling' thing, but that is beside the point)
    elminsterlolienArtona
    edited March 2016
    Well obviously a paladin could always kill an innocent and not fall. That's not exactly new to the system as a whole. Under the existing system you have to get below 6 to fall. So at most we're talking degrees of how many innocent people you can kill before you fall.

As far as virtue goes I'll look into it (and into if there is any way to make paladins fall if they kill innocent people).

Ohh and as it turns out I was mistaken. Virtue doesn't rename lore (it just renames reputation). I'd have to look more into virtue to see how having both systems working in conjunction was accomplished.
    Post edited by elminster on
    GrammarsaladJuliusBorisovlolien
    edited March 2016
    elminster said:

Well obviously a paladin could always kill an innocent and not fall. That's not exactly new to the system as a whole. Under the existing system you have to get below 6 to fall. So at most we're talking degrees of how many innocent people you can kill before you fall.

As far as virtue goes I'll look into it (and into if there is any way to make paladins fall if they kill innocent people).

Ohh and as it turns out I was mistaken. Virtue doesn't rename lore (it just renames reputation). I'd have to look more into virtue to see how having both systems working in conjunction was accomplished.

My guess is that they used the reputation system as is for 'virtue' and revamped reputation using scripting. A passers-by seeing a PC commit a crime might, after some delay, increment a global that is set to be checked regarding pricing of goods, etc. Something like that I would guess

Edit:

repmodst.2da would be set to zero across the board

StartStore could trigger different 'stores' based on this global (and the normal triggers) for a given merchant.

This would require copy existing all stores, and creating multiple versions for each 'level' of. Reputation. This global could also be checked in dialogs. It actually could get really intricate with multiple globals/reputations each representing different reputations for different groups. Eg save a shadow thief from Bodhi's vampires, and get a boost with that organization
    Post edited by Grammarsalad on
    elminsterJuliusBorisovlolien
  • KykuyKykuy Member Posts: 30
    I don't know if it was asked before(too lazy to look through the 5 pages of discussion), but does this mod require a completely new game start? I think that yes, but, perhaps, if you haven't ventured forth too much(chapter 1 or early 2) it is possible to correctly install your mod and play without any bugs\conflicts?

Seems like i'll have to delay BGEE run to the very release of SoD and your mod.
    Can't guarantee it will work off existing saves.
    JuliusBorisov
  • AKrugBierAKrugBier Member Posts: 110
    This sounds INDREDIBLE!

Will there also be some NPC reactions towards your decisions or do you plan to keep them quiet like Vanilla BG1?
    Fina92
    That is something I can look into but won't be happening prior to the mods release.
    JuliusBorisov
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    edited March 2016
    Your focus on Reputation pinpoints an RP weakness in the game system, methinks. I would like to see encounters which now simply mean Rep+1 for the party [whatever its current Reputation] be changed to encounters worth a certain number of Rep. pts+/- ~ with some encounters weighted substantially more than others.

Then, just as donations required for reputation gain scale up the ladder, so it would take an ever-increasing number of reputation points as the party goes beyond being merely popular. Effectively then, donations would purchase Rep. pts instead of Rep Gain.

Such a system might also make for more credible ruptures within the party when Rep gets too high or low.

It would probably also make loading up in the early game with such goodies as Comp.Bow+1, Full Plate, Large Shield +1, Wand of Sleep and Shortbow+1 substantially more difficult for Neutral Charnames [Neutrality being an important option for players looking to equip Archmage Robes for both Charname and Imoen].
    Souave_Saidlolien
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited March 2016
    elminster said:

this mod will only be compatible with the EE version for the game. The reasons for this being

As author of the mod you are free to do whatever you like.

However, those don't seem very good reasons for not adding compatibility with non-EE setups.

1) there is plenty of mods working also on the original games and still taking advantage of EE-only stuff, both from experienced modders (e.g. The Tweaks Anthology) and new modders (e.g. Might and Guile)

2) adding compatibility with non-EE games is not that hard. So much so that even I can do it :)
    By the way, I would be glad to provide advice on this, if you change your mind.

IMO, the extra effort is worthwhile, because it would help you reach a larger audience with your mod. I, for one, would never use a mod unless it works on Tutu and/or vBG2 too.
  • AKrugBierAKrugBier Member Posts: 110
    I do like the smuggler idea, respectively, the "getting locked" out of Baldurs Gate.

Got a question though, if you talk with the smuggler, will you immediately be teleported to Baldurs Gate or do you still walk with him to the other side of the bridge?

If it's the old way, then you may want to create some Flaming Fist Soldiers at the gate in the middle of Wyrm's Crossing, and let the smuggler cast a mass invisible on your party so that the party is actually hidden and the whole scenario looks way more realistic.

JuliusBorisov
    edited March 2016
    Update: With SoDs release around the corner my goal is to release Eve of War sometime this Saturday or sunday everything that has been done by that point anyways)
    JuliusBorisovKilivitzFina92booinyoureyes
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    How about Duran? :)
    Err...Daran? He is available as a joinable NPC with the mod
    JuliusBorisov