Skip to content

BG1NPC Bug Report and Discussion Thread

Comments

• ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    IIRC Beamdog is not allowed to mess with the original NPCs, thus the new NPCs don't really interact with them. I guess having them interact only among each other would then be odd.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

thanks for clearing that up. i was under this impression the EE npcs had some form of banters in bg1 but i was wrong.

They have some interactions. Dorn ends up having words with just about everyone. Rasaad and Viconia have a few back-and-forths about Selune and Shar. But, it's nothing on the scale of BG2 NPC banters (or what BG1NPC adds for the original NPCs).
    Thels said:

Perhaps it could be an idea that if Kivan's interactions make Tazok killable, that all Legacy of the Masters are removed from the chest in Tazok's Tent, to balance it out at two Legacy of the Masters?

I can do that.
    Thels said:

The Amulet of an Apprentice Mage doesn't have "Monk" listed as "Not usable by:", unlike, say, Evermemory. Not sure if that's important...

Should be harmless, since Monks don't have Wizard spells, but will fix.
    Thels said:

Also, are the Powders of a Wanderer deprecated? I've tried completing the quest in various ways, and they don't seem to spawn in any combination. It almost looks like they're the identified version of the Multicolored Powders, but there doesn't seem to be a way to identify them.

The Powders of a Wanderer are a distinct ITM file from the Multicolored Powders, so you can't identify latter into the former. There's a specific dialog choice that will allow you to get the Powders of a Wanderer.

When Natan says, "When I grabbed for the flower, thorns sprung from the stem..." you need to choose the option "Go on..". This will eventually lead to a choice of dialogs. You need to provoke Natan to attack you and kill him to get the identified Powders.

Even if you get them, you can't use them. :wink:
    Thels said:

Finally, Coran's Flowers can be used as a consumable. Does anyone know if these actually do anything? Edit: Never mind. They're apparently poisonous. My Charname is immune to poison, so I didn't notice that at first.

Why would you eat strange plants? :smirk:
    Thanks for clearing that up! :)
    Sorry to be a bother again... The Silver Dragon in Ajantis' encounter during the Ajantis-Coran conflict doesn't seem to have a sprite attached. Is that correct?
    edited July 2016
    Argggh. BG1NPC was built for Tutu, which has BG2 resources. I may have missed the missing animation BAMs if the entry was in ANIMATE.IDS.

Did the red dragons work? Do you have SoD installed?

Strange - you are the first person to report this...

EDIT: SoD has white dragon animations. I'll use that for the silver dragon. On BGEE without SoD, I guess I can use wyverns... :tongue:
    edited July 2016
    SoD is installed.

The red dragons appear fine, except they lack a portrait (as does Elhan from Coran's entertainment scene, as well as all the characters in Xan's quest). There's also horizontal stripes over Coran's entertainment scene and both the dragon scenes.

And I think it's because the situation is rather tricky to unlock, which is a shame, as the encounters are really cool!

(There's generally very little information about what is available in the BG1 NPC Project, so I'm actually trying to track the quests and items that are available. Got most of it down so far.)

Also, it's a little odd that after the challenge, if you pick Ajantis, for me, his next banter is about if there is a man I consider above others... Well, I just chose him in the challenge, not? :P

Also, it seems like Branwen's Romance runs a lot faster than the others. The ones that don't require a specific condition fire quickly after another, and if there's a condition such as resting, it usually triggers even if you rest directly after a previous romance interaction. The other romances all seem to insist on some time passing in between romance talk. I opened NearInfinity to see if I can find out anything about it, but these romances seem to interact in rather complex ways.
    Post edited by Thels on
    edited August 2016
    @AstroBryGuy: While Brielbana's Potion Case is opened as a Container, it's name is described as "I serve Tempus and no other path gladdens my soul. Once you have chosen the right thing, the rest comes easy. Was that not your case too, Dynaheir?"

I hadn't had any other string errors in the game up to this moment, and I didn't (re)install any mods since starting the game, so I don't think my dialog file is corrupted...

The Enhanced Edition potion case sold by Thalantyr and the Tweaks Anthology potion case sold in Nashkel are called "Potion Case".

Other than the naming, the potion case works just fine.
    edited August 2016
    I'm running Smeagolheart's Minor NPC Portrait's Pack, including the component that randomly assigns portraits to male humans and female humans.

In the Blade and Stars, Leti has a male portrait, while Mati has no portrait at all. Are their race and gender set up correctly? Their male companions all receive proper portraits.
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    Question: if I kill montaron, will I get half the banter with Xzar? I mean, how many dialogs are linked to the duo himself?
    Arthas said:

Question: if I kill montaron, will I get half the banter with Xzar? I mean, how many dialogs are linked to the duo himself?

I imagine it would be a reduction, but I really don't have any quantitative measure of how many of Xzar's dialogs/interjections/banters require Monty (or are shortened if he's not there). Try and find out. :smile:
    Thels said:

@AstroBryGuy: While Brielbana's Potion Case is opened as a Container, it's name is described as "I serve Tempus and no other path gladdens my soul. Once you have chosen the right thing, the rest comes easy. Was that not your case too, Dynaheir?"

I hadn't had any other string errors in the game up to this moment, and I didn't (re)install any mods since starting the game, so I don't think my dialog file is corrupted...

The Enhanced Edition potion case sold by Thalantyr and the Tweaks Anthology potion case sold in Nashkel are called "Potion Case".

Other than the naming, the potion case works just fine.

The STO file for Brielbara's Potion Case uses a hardcoded string index from BG2. I'll soft code it for the next release.

Thanks!
    Thels said:

I'm running Smeagolheart's Minor NPC Portrait's Pack, including the component that randomly assigns portraits to male humans and female humans.

In the Blade and Stars, Leti has a male portrait, while Mati has no portrait at all. Are their race and gender set up correctly? Their male companions all receive proper portraits.

Leti's GENDER was set to FEMALE, but SEX was set to MALE. I guess @smeagolheart is checking the latter. I can update that.

Mati's race is half-orc. AFAIK, @smeagolheart's Random Portraits component currently only does humans.
    Thels said:

SoD is installed.

The red dragons appear fine, except they lack a portrait (as does Elhan from Coran's entertainment scene, as well as all the characters in Xan's quest). There's also horizontal stripes over Coran's entertainment scene and both the dragon scenes.

And I think it's because the situation is rather tricky to unlock, which is a shame, as the encounters are really cool!

(There's generally very little information about what is available in the BG1 NPC Project, so I'm actually trying to track the quests and items that are available. Got most of it down so far.)

Also, it's a little odd that after the challenge, if you pick Ajantis, for me, his next banter is about if there is a man I consider above others... Well, I just chose him in the challenge, not? :P

Also, it seems like Branwen's Romance runs a lot faster than the others. The ones that don't require a specific condition fire quickly after another, and if there's a condition such as resting, it usually triggers even if you rest directly after a previous romance interaction. The other romances all seem to insist on some time passing in between romance talk. I opened NearInfinity to see if I can find out anything about it, but these romances seem to interact in rather complex ways.

BG1NPC's Portraits component is not comprehensive for all added NPCs.

Both Branwen's and other romances function identically in terms of using timers between lovetalks. Perhaps you selected a shorter time for Branwen's romance that the others?
    I've been playing more since, and I think it's the "At Rest" dialogues, mostly. For some NPCs, the "At Rest" dialogues have the same delay, so even if an "At Rest" dialogue is up next, it won't pop during Rests before the timer is over. For other NPCs, it seems that if an "At Rest" dialogue comes up next, you can Rest and the dialogue pops up right away. Not really important, though.

Glad to be of service with Leti and with the Potion Case. If Mati is indeed a half-orc, then all is well there.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Yes current minor portraits mod only covers humans.

The next version will include half orcs, gnomes, etc.
    edited August 2016
    @AstroBryGuy: I'm planning to start a fresh runthrough somewhere before the end of this month. Are there any updates planned (test updates are fine), that are worth waiting for, so I could test those while I'm on it?

Also, what happened to the color in your avatar?
    edited August 2016
    I have had a hardware failure. I managed to recover recent edits from backups and load them to GitHub to make sure they aren't lost permanently, but I have not even had a chance to see if they compile successfully (so caveat emptor if you try to download the master branch).

Currently, I only have an iPad and my work computer (which I cannot load BG games for testing), so it will be some time before I am able to test anything.

Until later...

EDIT: The avatar is my morbid sense of humor... My system needs a Raise Dead spell. :wink:
    Sorry to hear that. :(
  • Camus34Camus34 Member Posts: 210
    So is this working with the steam version of SOD now or is it still causing problems in BGEE with the SOD (steam version) installed?
  • alceryesalceryes Member Posts: 380
    edited September 2016
    I recently install Unfinished Business v1.4 and am loving the changes. Is the latest BG1NPC compatible with the latest Steam BG1EE + UB (no SoD)?

Thank you, AstroBryGuy, for all your hard work!

Edit - Should've read the readme before asking, DOH! I'm gonna to give it a go. Will post if I have any issues. Thanks again!
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    Good luck! BG1NPC and UB are two mods I won't play BG1 without these days.
    @alceryes: It's recommended to first install NPC Project and then UB, as UB is aware of NPC Project and won't install features that NPC Project already installed, while the opposite is not true.

If you already installed UB, and don't want to reinstall, be sure not to install features twice.
    Thanks guys.
    I went through the uninstalled of UB. Pretty simple, just start the setup again and tell it to uninstall. I then installed NPC Project and reinstalled UB. I found a minor issue pretty early in the game. There were two colquette's amulets at the ambush site instead of one.
    Is this normal when both mods are used?
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    alceryes said:

Thanks guys.
    I went through the uninstalled of UB. Pretty simple, just start the setup again and tell it to uninstall. I then installed NPC Project and reinstalled UB. I found a minor issue pretty early in the game. There were two colquette's amulets at the ambush site instead of one.
    Is this normal when both mods are used?

I found two in my recent game with SCS, NPC project and UB installed.
    Thanks. I feel better that it's not just me.
    I generally find two of them as well, though they're both taken by the quest.

I just tested this on an unmodded game, and there is one amulet, which can be properly returned to Mr. Colquette. Ergo, this quest has been fixed by EE.

After installing UB and starting a new game, there is still only one amulet.

After installing NPC Project as well and starting a new game, there are two amulets. Thus, NPC Project is creating the duplicate.
    edited September 2016
    Not so fast :)
    I purchased SoD today and decided to do a full uninstall - delete all BG1 folders - reinstall. All I have is BG1 + SoD installed and, surprisingly, I STILL found two amulets. This is not with an old save - fresh PC just out of candlekeep. It's the 17 year old bug that just won't die!
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @alceryes it can't be a 17 year old bug, the amulet wouldn't spawn in pre EE versions of the game.