Skip to content

BG1NPC Bug Report and Discussion Thread

Comments

• PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited August 2017
    Elthalas said:

Hi there!
    First of all, thank you for supporting this and other mods. This are really really invaluable mods and its wonderful to see all the effort that it's done to keep them up to date. Thank you all also for this helpful community :)

I was going to do a new run of the triology, with dragonspear this time, so I began to install the mandatory mods (i don't have a long list, maybe 12 or 13). But I run into a problem with the weidu installation, and with what it seems to be the the BG1NPC mod.
    When I'm installing mods after BG1NPC (it is the 3th in my order of installation), they "freeze" cheking for weidu updates. The log is this:

[D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\setup-bg1npcmusic.exe] WeiDU version 23700
    {setup-bg1npc.exe} Queried (pid = 740) version = 24000
    {setup-bgqe.exe} Queried (pid = 716) version = 24000
    Newest WeiDU is version 24000, updating!
    WeiDU files in version order:
    [setup-sirinescall.exe] version 24000
    [setup-bgqe.exe] version 24000
    [setup-bg1npc.exe] version 24000
    [setup-bg1npcmusic.exe] version 23700
    Copying [setup-sirinescall.exe] -> [setup-bg1npcmusic.exe]: false
    [setup-sirinescall.exe] WeiDU version 24000
    Auto-Updating on behalf of [setup-bg1npcmusic.exe]
    Copying [setup-sirinescall.exe] -> [setup-bg1npcmusic.exe]:
    Auto-Updating on behalf of [setup-bg1npcmusic.exe] (done)
    [setup-bg1npcmusic.exe] WeiDU version 24000
    {setup-bg1npc.exe} Queried (pid = 752)

And it doesn't progress further than that (pid = 752).
    If I close the window and start again, it doesn't check for updates and I can install the mod normally. When I run the next mod it happens again.
    Maybe it's not that important, but I don't want to run evertyhing and then encounter errors midgame.

I have the last BGEE version WITH dragonspear (uncompressed and patched, with modmerge).

The funny thing it's that first I didn't think of dragonspear, and I did an installation only with BGEE, with the same mods, and it worked perfectly, not a problem in the installation.
    The only different things I did this second time were the installation of dragonspear and that the first mod is Miniquest and encounters, not Sirines Call, wich was my first one that first time.

My mod order list is this:
    1. Mini quest & encounters
    2. Sirines call
    3. BG1NPC
    4. BG1NPC Music
    5. BG1 Unfinished Bussiness
    6. Xan Firendship
    7. Ilishka NPC
    8. Isra NPC
    9. Wand Case
    10. Artastrophe portraits (artaport)
    11. Rogue Rebalancing
    12. Tweaks

Thank you all in advance!

What you describe is not an issue of any specific mod but the way that Weidu operates.
    Weidu has an auto-update that is triggered when any mod in your selection has a lower version number than the latest version it finds. Latest version is 24200, however in your example, that seems not yet to be used by any of your mods - instead it goes to 24000, and tries to update the setup-xxx.exe of mods with a lower version.

I can't remember what the solution was, just search for something like *weidu auto update*, it's a known problem.

Elthalas said:

Hi there!
    First of all, thank you for supporting this and other mods. This are really really invaluable mods and its wonderful to see all the effort that it's done to keep them up to date. Thank you all also for this helpful community :)

I was going to do a new run of the triology, with dragonspear this time, so I began to install the mandatory mods (i don't have a long list, maybe 12 or 13). But I run into a problem with the weidu installation, and with what it seems to be the the BG1NPC mod.
    When I'm installing mods after BG1NPC (it is the 3th in my order of installation), they "freeze" cheking for weidu updates. The log is this:

[D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\setup-bg1npcmusic.exe] WeiDU version 23700
    {setup-bg1npc.exe} Queried (pid = 740) version = 24000
    {setup-bgqe.exe} Queried (pid = 716) version = 24000
    Newest WeiDU is version 24000, updating!
    WeiDU files in version order:
    [setup-sirinescall.exe] version 24000
    [setup-bgqe.exe] version 24000
    [setup-bg1npc.exe] version 24000
    [setup-bg1npcmusic.exe] version 23700
    Copying [setup-sirinescall.exe] -> [setup-bg1npcmusic.exe]: false
    [setup-sirinescall.exe] WeiDU version 24000
    Auto-Updating on behalf of [setup-bg1npcmusic.exe]
    Copying [setup-sirinescall.exe] -> [setup-bg1npcmusic.exe]:
    Auto-Updating on behalf of [setup-bg1npcmusic.exe] (done)
    [setup-bg1npcmusic.exe] WeiDU version 24000
    {setup-bg1npc.exe} Queried (pid = 752)

And it doesn't progress further than that (pid = 752).
    If I close the window and start again, it doesn't check for updates and I can install the mod normally. When I run the next mod it happens again.
    Maybe it's not that important, but I don't want to run evertyhing and then encounter errors midgame.

I have the last BGEE version WITH dragonspear (uncompressed and patched, with modmerge).

The funny thing it's that first I didn't think of dragonspear, and I did an installation only with BGEE, with the same mods, and it worked perfectly, not a problem in the installation.
    The only different things I did this second time were the installation of dragonspear and that the first mod is Miniquest and encounters, not Sirines Call, wich was my first one that first time.

My mod order list is this:
    1. Mini quest & encounters
    2. Sirines call
    3. BG1NPC
    4. BG1NPC Music
    5. BG1 Unfinished Bussiness
    6. Xan Firendship
    7. Ilishka NPC
    8. Isra NPC
    9. Wand Case
    10. Artastrophe portraits (artaport)
    11. Rogue Rebalancing
    12. Tweaks

Thank you all in advance!

What you describe is not an issue of any specific mod but the way that Weidu operates.
    Weidu has an auto-update that is triggered when any mod in your selection has a lower version number than the latest version it finds. Latest version is 24200, however in your example, that seems not yet to be used by any of your mods - instead it goes to 24000, and tries to update the setup-xxx.exe of mods with a lower version.

I can't remember what the solution was, just search for something like *weidu auto update*, it's a known problem.
    Further information
    If you just install your mods, there should be no issue, because every mod installs fine with the weidu version it was delivered with. The only problem that can occur is when you later want to uninstall or modify anything. If it is not the last mod in your install sequence that you select, then weidu will uninstall all mods that were installed later in reverse order until it reaches the one you selected - do the modification you wanted - re-install all the subsequent mods. Now, if any of the re-installed mods requires a weidu function from a higher version than the one you modified , you will have a problem. In worst case you broke your install.
    So, if you never plan to do the above, you should be save.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    As @PaulaMigrate wrote, it sounds like an issue with the WeiDU auto-update process, not the mod installation. It could be an issue with Windows UAC (there have been reports of Windows UAC not liking WeiDU's auto-update process), but that's not something I can check, since I'm on a Mac.

It shouldn't affect your install if WeiDU runs normally the second time.
  • ElthalasElthalas Member Posts: 6
    Aha!
    Ok, I'll try to find a solution then. @PaulaMigrate thank you, I understand that, but I think is not exactly that, because the older weidu mods manages to update themselves; but, then, when they try to "recheck the version", it gets stuck in the BG1NPC mod, and only there. It doesn't happen with any other. But in any case is probably Windows fault. It seems weird also that it only happens with Dragonspear installed, but anyway, that's a lot of things to check.

As you say I think the mods get installed anyway, so probably I'm going to overlook this and continue. I hope I won't find any errors playing.

Thank you for the answers anyway! ^^

Cheers
  • ElthalasElthalas Member Posts: 6
    PS: Nevertheless it's seems that it has something to do with the Weidu version of BG1NPC or with 24000 version; because this time I installed Romantic Encounters in the middle of the other mods, and it comes with 24200. So till there the rest of the mods refer to it for update, and the installation goes smoothly, didn't freeze anymore.
    Maybe its a useful note for other people.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    I'm curious on the meaning of a conversation with Skie. Is it NPCproject or vanilla (can't remember if it is standard BG or not)?
    She mentions having a feeling of not being able to do and see alot of things she wants to in the future. Anyone know if this was just a reference to her not continuing on into BG2 or is it foreshadowing the conclusion of SoD (seems like to me but not sure when it was written in or changed to fit SoD) Pretty powerful if it alludes to SoD. Regardless it fits and is meaningful every time I hear it. B)
  • mkat101mkat101 Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2017
    Love this mod, can't play BGEE without it!

There is a small bug in the Friendly Arm with Bentley Mirrorshade and Eldoth. Eldoth and Bentley have an exchange where Bentley mentions having thrown Eldoth out, then you go to his store page and everything works fine....
    However, the next time you talk to Bentley with Eldoth in your group his store is completely messed up.
    I've attached screens:

1st: follow up dialogue with Eldoth in party

2nd: store page result (incorrect options for room rentals)

3rd: store purchase options result

4th: item information for one of the items he now has for sale.

From what I have seen through troubleshooting, every item that refrences Bentley in some way is now in his store, but that is ALL that is in his store. If you remove Eldoth from your group he goes back to being normal Bentley with his normal inventory.
    Just something I stumbled upon. (This was with a clean install - no other mods - for troubleshooting purposes).

mkat101 said:

Love this mod, can't play BGEE without it!

There is a small bug in the Friendly Arm with Bentley Mirrorshade and Eldoth. Eldoth and Bentley have an exchange where Bentley mentions having thrown Eldoth out, then you go to his store page and everything works fine....
    However, the next time you talk to Bentley with Eldoth in your group his store is completely messed up.
    I've attached screens:

1st: follow up dialogue with Eldoth in party

2nd: store page result (incorrect options for room rentals)

3rd: store purchase options result

4th: item information for one of the items he now has for sale.

From what I have seen through troubleshooting, every item that refrences Bentley in some way is now in his store, but that is ALL that is in his store. If you remove Eldoth from your group he goes back to being normal Bentley with his normal inventory.
    Just something I stumbled upon. (This was with a clean install - no other mods - for troubleshooting purposes).

This is NO BUG. If you have Eldoth, Bentley will not sell you anything that's worth it at all and only offers the cheapest rooms. Because of the fight he has with Eldoth. Visit Bemtley without him and everything is fine.
    This is the story between those two and you confirm that it works perfectly as intended.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    Is this mod content? I didn't know this. It's funny as hell! :-)
    jastey said:

Is this mod content? I didn't know this. It's funny as hell! :-)

*Eldoth's Bently Quarrel* from BG1NPC phase2
    Thanks! (I never played with Eldoth in the party, obviously.)
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i think the bug was more the fact the screens were normal prior.
  • birdmanbirdman Member Posts: 2
    Sorry for the noob question, how do I know if the banter is working? Imoen and Jaheira have their BG2 portraits but none of my party members seem to be talking to or interacting with each other?
    the banterrs are on a timer. the default is i think 23 minutes if you don't set it to another. my way of knowing if the mod is working is if imoen has a talk when you go see gorion's body.
  • birdmanbirdman Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2017

the banterrs are on a timer. the default is i think 23 minutes if you don't set it to another. my way of knowing if the mod is working is if imoen has a talk when you go see gorion's body.

Thanks for the response. Hmm, definitely don't recall that happening, what is she supposed to say?
    you grab the letter off his body and she is supposed to say " is that gorion?" or something to that effect.
    Thank you very much for this update!

• tp2: changed from REQUIRE_FILE to REQUIRE_COMPONENT to enable automated deinstall of components if the required component is deinstalled
    I did this in good faith because it didn't deinstall automatically using REQUIRE_FILE on my system but the problem couldn't be reproduced by a small test mod. Really weird.

v23.1 of the BG1 NPC Project is released!

This release contains a bugfix for Tutu installs. German language players will also see improvements in German translations.

Get the latest release at: https://github.com/Gibberlings3/BG1NPC/releases/latest

Changes for version 23.1:
    * Fixed Tutu install + more German proofreadings - Thanks @jastey!
  • georgelappiesgeorgelappies Member Posts: 179
    Hi all

Planning to start a new play through and installed the 2.5 beta patch.

Does anybody know if the NPC enhancement pack for BG 1 works with the 2.5 patch. Will the installation of the mod using Weidu also still be the same?
  • Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 222
    I have had a problem since (successfully) installing BG1NPC v23.1 and Unfinished Business. I am on Steam version of BGEE/SoD, no other mods.

In the first playthrough after installing the mods I did not get cloakwood mine added to my world map at chapter 4 beginning. When exiting cloakwood wyverns to the east it still did not appear so I was unable to progress the main quest any further. So I started another run, this time not entering cloakwood at all before chapter 4 starts, but again I have no cloakwood mine when trying to travel east out of cloakwood wyverns. Specific actions in each run are at the end of the thread.

Is there some way that I can force a map update into my save game with EE keeper, maybe add a global variable? Or some other solution? I just don't understand what is missing here. I played one game without mods and did not have the issue.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, would hate to think that all that time was wasted :'(

First Run Details
    • Entered cloakwood map 1 early in game to get Gurke's cloak
    • Had Jaheira in party and inadvertently triggered her time limited quest
    • Reluctantly had to complete Jaheira quest while still in chapter 2 which meant going to cloakwood wyverns to rescue her friend (this was tough for low level party!)
    • Exited the east of the map during that quest but of course it was chapter 2, so no mine showed then
    • Returned to cloakwood wyverns in chapter 4. Exited the east of the map but cloakwood mine location is missing
    • -- I theorised that I broke the map location trigger by being in the area at the wrong time. So reluctantly I start a new game.--
    Second Run Details
    • Avoided cloakwood maps until chapter 4 started (cloakwood 1 was showing earlier but I did not travel there)
    • Grabbed Coran NPC and left to clear some other maps
    • Later when Coran complained about time elapsing I returned to cloakwood and cleared wyverns
    • Exited the east of the map but once again cloakwood mine location is missing
    • -- New theory - perhaps I have a map bug related to the component that allows cloakwood access before chapter 4?--
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462

I have had a problem since (successfully) installing BG1NPC v23.1 and Unfinished Business. I am on Steam version of BGEE/SoD, no other mods.

I don't know if it's the cause of your problem, but if you have SoD on Steam, you need to use modmerge before installing any mod.
    @Very_BigSword - Try the following command from the CLUA Console:

C:Eval('RevealAreaOnMap("AR1800")')

If you need information on activating the console check out this page:

https://gibberlings3.github.io/iesdp/appendices/clua/bgee.htm
  • Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 222
    lefreut said:

I don't know if it's the cause of your problem, but if you have SoD on Steam, you need to use modmerge before installing any mod.

Thanks, I did install the modmerge and everything has been fine except the map issue.

@Very_BigSword - Try the following command from the CLUA Console:

C:Eval('RevealAreaOnMap("AR1800")')

If you need information on activating the console check out this page:

https://gibberlings3.github.io/iesdp/appendices/clua/bgee.htm

Thanks @AstroBryGuy , this looks like the quick fix I needed. I'll enable CLUA Console and try that command.
  • toolargtoolarg Member Posts: 179
    toolarg said:

Latest version. Sometimes one of the bandits will turn hostile too longside tha girl, but never all of them as intended. Added the weidu log just in case.

Hello, just wanted to say that I've just experienced this very same bug just now in the latest version, the girl had to fight my party of six all by herself while his goons just stood there and watched.
    @toolarg - I'm sorry, but I haven't been able to reproduce that bug if I let the main bandit initiate dialog. After the dialog with the main bandit, all the bandits turn hostile in my tests.

The only way I can get the other bandits to stay neutral is to become invisible and then kill the bandit leader in a single shot. That prevents the script blocks from firing that make the other bandits hostile. Is that what you are doing?

Is that what you are doing?

Nope, I approach her normally, she and kagain exchange words, she turns hostile, gets killed and then kagain says his line about being a wanted dwarf and joining the party :neutral: . In any case its strange but not game breaking in any way.
    toolarg said:

Is that what you are doing?

Nope, I approach her normally, she and kagain exchange words, she turns hostile, gets killed and then kagain says his line about being a wanted dwarf and joining the party :neutral: . In any case its strange but not game breaking in any way.
    Odd. What other mods are you running?
    Heres the log.