Skip to content

BG1NPC Bug Report and Discussion Thread

Comments

• jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    edited December 2018
    @georgelappies
    https://github.com/Gibberlings3/BG1NPC/releases

Link is in the first post, btw. THE download link in the first post, so not sure what your question was about.
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    @georgelappies you can download it from github :)
  • georgelappiesgeorgelappies Member Posts: 179
    edited December 2018
    Good day jastey apologies for asking an obvious question.

I haven't played BG in years. In the past the place for mods were the Gibberling site and not GitHub (by the way, the version stated on the subject header of this page (23.3) is the exact same version on the Gibberling website (23.3) where the button redirects to a server error page.

Busy downloading it now from GitHub
  • georgelappiesgeorgelappies Member Posts: 179
    @lefreut Thanks friend, most appreciated.
    @georgelappies The GitHub and the G3 versions are the same, GitHub works as a download mirror (and a helpful one currently, as it is).
  • CanzahCanzah Member Posts: 37
    It's been a long time without any updates, is this cancelled or can we still hope to see it this year?
  • CanzahCanzah Member Posts: 37
    Aw yeah finally, I was resigning myself already to writing it off as abandoned, gj.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    What a lovely way to start the new year! THANKS A LOT!
  • Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    edited January 2019
    Awesome, now I can upgrade my game to v2.5 :smile: Thanks
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Oh, and if you're curious about the new Coran portrait:

Might add this one as an option too:

• ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    edited January 2019
    Lovely!

Small note: The link to the Gibberlings project site on your GitHub page seems to be broken.

EDIT: That seems to be the case for a lot of mods. Perhaps the issue is on Gibberlings' side?

Also, for those looking for the continuous NPC portraits:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/72925/new-mini-mod-portrait-pack-continuous-npc-portraits/p1
    Post edited by Thels on
    Thels said:

Lovely!

Small note: The link to the Gibberlings project site on your GitHub page seems to be broken.

I updated the link on the release page and in the README. I've asked the G3 poobahs to update the URL on the GitHub project page (don't have access to change that!).
  • MokonaMokona Member Posts: 89

Thanks for the update!
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438

I updated the link on the release page and in the README. I've asked the G3 poobahs to update the URL on the GitHub project page (don't have access to change that!).

Huh, I thought you were already an admin on the repo--well, you are now. The link's been updated.
    CamDawg said:

Huh, I thought you were already an admin on the repo--well, you are now. The link's been updated.
    Thanks, @CamDawg!
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,271
    I'm very grateful for removing ACTION_READLN! Hope other modders will follow that example!
  • Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 222
    Thanks so much. I was starting to get withdrawal symptoms! Sure I could have selectively used 23.3 but it just did not feel right.

I sense a lot of restarts coming...
    It's a bit of a shame that the "Send NPCs to Inn" feature has been removed. The one included in SCS and now Tweaks feels less engaging, such as having to send Xzar and Montaron off separately, and having all the inns available for all the characters. The one from the NPC Project felt like it had more character to it, but I understand that it's quite a bit annoying to maintain?
    edited January 2019
    Ingot just approached me, and I asked him about the fortress. He tells something, and then Imoen and Minsc start commenting. It ends up with Minsc seriously angered and then Ingot turns hostile. Once Minsc attacks, he goes Berserk, without me telling him to do so. It makes sense given the situation.

However, a few seconds after Ingot dies, Minsc loses his yellow selection circle, and can be controlled again. The next few encounters, Minsc immediately goes berserk again every time, only to regain control a few seconds after the fight. After a while, Minsc makes an "Ouch!" noise, and the chatlog indicates that his Berserk is over.

Does the NPC Project make Minsc go berserk when attacking Ingot?

It was cool to see Minsc go totally nuts against Ingot! However, it felt a little odd and buggy from there on. Having him go berserk is totally in character, but having him go berserk in the next few combats as well (which sometimes caused him to attack the nearest party member instead of the enemy), felt weird.

If it's possible to completely end the effect after Ingot has died, rather than suppressing the effect, then that would be awesome. If that's not possible, perhaps it's better to play out the natural duration of the Berserk effect, so it's at least clear what's going on, and Minsc ain't backstabbing fellow party members?

EDIT: Someone on the G3 Discord just told me that the suspending of berserk is vanilla behavior, so ignore this!
    Chalking up as "not an issue", but to answer the question - yes, the triggering of Minsc's berserk state is from a BG1NPC added dialog.
    Yeah, I don't use Berserk myself, because I don't like how he starts randomly attacking party members. From hazy memory, I recalled him staying with a yellow circle for like ages, and I just avoided him until it wore off. This going to suspend was new to me, but if it's not the NPC Project doing the suspend thing, then indeed, it's not an issue.
  • xizorxizor Member Posts: 89
    I'm not sure if this is caused by this mod (or if it's intentional), but it seems like when a companion interjects in the dialogue it uses his/her charisma for reaction check.

For example: when talking to Ragefast, Jaheira (CHA 15) makes a comment. It's then impossible to convince him to release the nymph, despite Charname's 22 CHA. But it works after boosting her CHA to 18 with items.

It could make certain resolutions of some quests unreachable.
    Wooooo totally missed the new version. Thank you so much for your work, AstroBryGuy!!
    xizor said:

I'm not sure if this is caused by this mod (or if it's intentional), but it seems like when a companion interjects in the dialogue it uses his/her charisma for reaction check.

For example: when talking to Ragefast, Jaheira (CHA 15) makes a comment. It's then impossible to convince him to release the nymph, despite Charname's 22 CHA. But it works after boosting her CHA to 18 with items.

It could make certain resolutions of some quests unreachable.

I don't see any conditionals in Ragefast's dialog that check Charisma. There is one stat check in the dialog that checks for a Wisdom score, but nothing for Charisma. It also checks the stat of the LastTalkedToBy creature, which is the most recent creature targeted by a StartDialogue() action.

It is possible that if CHARNAME is not the character who the dialog is initiated with, then the check would use that character rather than CHARNAME.

There is a reaction check in the dialog. Reaction checks are affected by the party leader's Charisma and the party's Reputation. So, if you have a low Charisma person in the leader position (or a low Reputation), then you can fail the Reaction check.

None of this is changed by BG1NPC. This is all vanilla behavior.
  • xizorxizor Member Posts: 89
    Oh, you're right. For some reason I thought it was a charisma check. It makes sense if it's wisdom. I tried a few times and it worked only when I changed the +cha items, but it probably just happened to be other character initiating the dialogue that time. Sorry for the mistake.
    edited January 2019
    I think I actually found a bug!

I encountered Tranzig while Branwen was in my party. I heavily delayed going into the mines, so I was already pretty deep into Branwen's romance. Since Branwen was in the party, it went inevitably into combat.

During the combat, Tranzig tried to surrender. I accepted his surrender to find the Bandit Camp location, and then attacked him anyhow. After the fight, Branwen kept bugging me with the same question over and over.

EDIT: Not accepting his surrender also leads to the repetitive questions, as does killing him in a single blow, so he doesn't get to respond.

Also, before the encounter, P#BranTranzig did not exist, but the other 3 variables were the same.

If, before the encounter, I change the P#BrLoveTalk variable to something lower, it changes the text she's spouting, but she still repeatedly addresses me. I think they're all flirt talks.

It seems like the encounter forces Branwen to talk to me, but instead of saying the lines she wants to say, she defaults to flirt talk, and then keeps trying?

To make sure it's the NPC Project, I made a completely new installation, installed modmerge, then installed BG1NPC Project with the following settings:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
    // The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
    // ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #0 // The BG1 NPC Project: Required Modifications: v24.0
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #10 // The BG1 NPC Project: Banters, Quests, and Interjections: v24.0
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #23 // The BG1 NPC Project: Ajantis Romance Core (teen content) -> Speed: 15 minutes real time minimum between LoveTalks: v24.0
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #33 // The BG1 NPC Project: Branwen's Romance Core (teen content) -> Speed: 15 minutes real time minimum between LoveTalks: v24.0
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #43 // The BG1 NPC Project: Coran's Romance Core (adult content) -> Speed: 15 minutes real time minimum between LoveTalks: v24.0
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #53 // The BG1 NPC Project: Dynaheir's Romance Core (teen content) -> Speed: 15 minutes real time minimum between LoveTalks: v24.0
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #63 // The BG1 NPC Project: Shar-Teel Relationship Core (adult content) -> Speed: 15 minutes real time minimum between LoveTalks: v24.0
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #73 // The BG1 NPC Project: Xan's Romance Core (teen content) -> Speed: 15 minutes real time minimum between LoveTalks: v24.0
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #80 // The BG1 NPC Project: Female Romance Challenges, Ajantis vs Xan vs Coran: v24.0
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #112 // BGEE Banter Timing Tweak -> Banter Timing: Very fast (about 13 minutes between banter dialogs): v24.0
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #120 // The BG1 NPC Project: Bardic Reputation Adjustment: v24.0
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #131 // The BG1 NPC Project: Sarevok's Diary Adjustments -> Sarevok's Diary Date Changes only: v24.0
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #150 // The BG1 NPC Project: Kivan's "Kivan and Deheriana Companions" portrait: v24.0
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #155 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Coran his "Murder in Baldur's Gate" portrait: v24.0
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #160 // The BG1 NPC Project: Add Non-Joinable NPC portraits to quests and dialogues: v24.0
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #200 // The BG1 NPC Project: Player-Initiated Dialogues: v24.0

I started a new campaign, and headed straight for the Nashkel Carnaval. I recruited Branwen, and then set the following variable:

C:SetGlobal("P#BranTranzig","GLOBAL",1)

She immediately keeps initiating player initiated dialogue.
    Post edited by Thels on
    Beador (Jaheira's quest) seems to carry a +1 Quarterstaff. Considering he was being assaulted by a bunch of Shadow Druids and down on the ground, it doesn't make all that much sense that the Shadow Druids would've left such a magical weapon to him.

Perhaps it makes sense to either remove the +1 Quarterstaff, or place it on one of the assaulting Druids?

When you complete Faldorn's quest and receive the Great Shield - White Oak, it seems to reset the quest.

Talking to Amarande again leads to the dialogue that starts the quest, and talking to Amarande again after that completes the quest a second time, providing the party with a second Great Shield - White Oak.

Oddly enough, it doesn't work a third time.
    Found another bug:

- Have Xan, Kivan and Coran in the party.
    - Make sure at least one of them has a container (Ammo Belt, Bag of Holding, Gem Bag, Potion Case, Scroll Case or Wand Case) in their backpack.
    - Travel to Mutamin's Garden, and move towards the southwest corner.
    - When you run into the three merchants from Xan's quest, explain to them that the roads are safer.
    - You are teleported to the Spider Wood and encounter the mechants again. This time, offer a trade.

Xan, Kivan and Coran leave the party, and all their belongings are tossed on the ground. However, all their containers are both tossed on the ground and placed into Charname's backpack, effectively creating a copy of these containers.