Skip to content

BG1NPC Bug Report and Discussion Thread

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Some dialogs are scripted on fixed timers or tied to events. Others are banters, where the timing is controlled by BANTTIMG.2DA. For banters, the average time between banters should be about 27 minutes, but it is random, not fixed. Its possible to go stretches without a banter dialog. The fact that the banters did fire when you changed BANTTIMG.2DA indicates that it was just the engine not firing a banter (or picking a character who had no banters available).

Once Imoen's Artifact timer has started, it should be 5 hours of "real time" (it uses a RealSetGlobalTimer so resting won't help).
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    edited May 2017
    Also, for Imoen's Artifact dialogue to follow the first one, the PC has to give her Tarnesh's spellbook (i.e. allows her to look into it). The script block checks for Global("X#IMGetsSpellbook","GLOBAL",1).
    Post edited by jastey on
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @jastey Ive noticed that if you DONT give her the book and drop her, then pick her up later on, she gets it anyway.
    My bad! You are right. The variable is set no matter what the PC answers.
    So, follow up dialogue with the Artifact should happen 5 real time hours after Imoen commented on Tarnish's spellbook.
    jastey said:

My bad! You are right. The variable is set no matter what the PC answers.
    So, follow up dialogue with the Artifact should happen 5 real time hours after Imoen commented on Tarnish's spellbook.

Ahh, that explains it. I have been wondering about that. Well, I suppose she DOES say she will peak at it when CHARNAME isn't watchin (out of reach or not). How right she was, hehheh.
  • Dameon2Dameon2 Member Posts: 46
    thanks for all the replies :P. I think it is mostly just a case of me being paranoid that the mod isn't working, I didn't realize that it was possible to go without banters based on randomness or NPCs without them so that helps alleviate my concerns, that was mostly what had me spooked. I was looking for it to fire one every 27 mins and figured since it wasn't doing that consistently that I was doing something wrong or another mod was conflicting with it.

The reason it was bothering me so much is cause I think BGNPC for me personally is a must have mod, if I had to choose just one mod, it would easily be the NPC project. I couldn't properly enjoy BG1 without it :3. It just brings it in line so nicely with BG2 and makes them feel like a cohesive pair.

Out of curiosity, I assume that once I start Siege of Dragonspear I won't get any more banters? Or will they still fire if I have characters in my party that still have banters they haven't said yet?
    I did not know about the random firing thing, interesting.

@Dameon2 Hopefully they will not mind me jumpin in here. It is indeed a great and need to have mod, but your gonna miss it in SoD, esp. the player initiated dialogues. It is like BG again before this mod. Any banter is SoD content only. I just about always regret having to move from BG to SoD just because of this mod, tbh.

Spoiled me, you guys did. ;)

Seems like a massive amt of work went into this project and it shows. :)
    Dameon2 said:

thanks for all the replies :P. I think it is mostly just a case of me being paranoid that the mod isn't working, I didn't realize that it was possible to go without banters based on randomness or NPCs without them so that helps alleviate my concerns, that was mostly what had me spooked. I was looking for it to fire one every 27 mins and figured since it wasn't doing that consistently that I was doing something wrong or another mod was conflicting with it.

As I understand how BANTTIMG.2DA works, the FREQUENCY entry controls the number of "ticks" (AI updates, 1/15th of a second) between banter checks. The PROBABILITY entry is a % chance of a banter firing. The SPECIALPROBABILITY is the chance of a dialog banter (vs. an interaction banter). REPLAYDELAY keeps the same banter from happening again too quickly (not a problem with dialog banters, since they use variables to make sure they only happen once anyway).

By default, there is a banter check every 600 "ticks" (40 seconds), but only a 10% probability of a banter firing, and then a 25% chance of it being a dialog banter. If you want more consistent banter timing (but keeping the overall pace), you could change FREQUENCY to 6000 and PROBABILITY to 100. I wouldn't raise SPECIALPROBABILITY, as that would affect the interaction banters.
    Dameon2 said:

Out of curiosity, I assume that once I start Siege of Dragonspear I won't get any more banters? Or will they still fire if I have characters in my party that still have banters they haven't said yet?

No. BG1NPC only provides content for the BG1-portion of the game.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    I've installed the component to change Quayle's location. Now he's nowhere to be found (neither in Nashkel Carnival or in the bridge to Baldur's Gate).

Am I missing something here?
    Just a quick question: Did you start a new game after installing the component?
    Yup.

BG1 NPC Project, Unfinished Business, and Spells Revision are things that I install as soon as I finish installing BG.
    I tested for v 22.8a and Quale was at the Carnival for me.
    What does the bg1npc.DEBUG say? Went something wrong? (And, I am very sorry to ask this but since it also already happened: What does the weidu.log say, is the component installed?)
    Had no problems installing. Can you post a screenshot with his exact location?

I think that it's either Songs & Silence or Rogue Rebalancing Mod fault, because they add a merchant there. Maybe they change the area?

But even that doesn't make much sense because Garrick's quest happens normally.

Here's Weidu's log line about Quayle:

~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #22 // The BG1 NPC Project: Quayle's Starting Location -> Quayle Starts at the Nashkel Carnival: v22.8

And here's what bg1npc.DEBUG says:

BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2 0 22 Installed ~Quayle Starts at the Nashkel Carnival~

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED The BG1 NPC Project: Quayle's Starting Location -> Quayle Starts at the Nashkel Carnival
    edited June 2017
    I'll try to attach a screenshot from his location. EDIT: works! This is cool.
    Ok, he's there. Sorry 'bout the false alarm.

This guy could be an Army Ranger.
    I'm glad this is solved! I hope you'll enjoy the mod.
  • Dameon2Dameon2 Member Posts: 46

No. BG1NPC only provides content for the BG1-portion of the game.

Coo, I figured as much. I don;t really have much interest in using the Enhanced Edition Trilogy, so i'll just pretend they have nothing left to say xD

jastey said:

I'm glad this is solved! I hope you'll enjoy the mod.

Thanks.

In my defense he's not that close from Gazib lol

Maybe changing the instruction to "south from Great Gazib" may help people as dumb as me in the future.
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by lefreut on
    @jastey - Would these be the correct token translations? (Mein Deutsch ist nicht mehr gut.)

PRO_ERSIE = PRO_HESHE
    PRO_SEINIHR = PRO_HISHER
    PRO_IHNSIE = PRO_HIMHER
    PRO_FRAUHERR = PRO_SIRMAAM
    PRO_IHMIHR = PRO_HIMHER

Danke!

Request to Spanish speakers - if someone fluent in Spanish would check the lines in the spanish translation files @lefreut flagged above, and see if they need female versions, that would be most helpful.
    edited June 2017
    Yes, those token translations are correct. (And now I have to go investigating how those got in there - since I profread the translations.) I thought.
    jastey said:

Yes, those token translations are correct. (And now I have to go investigating how those got in there - since I profread the translations.) I thought.

Thanks, jastey! I'll fix those and upload to GitHub.
  • SirRonnocSirRonnoc Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys! I have BG1NPC installed, and there are never any errors upon installing, but once I get in game the dialogue is all messed up. No one is ever saying the correct lines and I'm not quite sure what's wrong. It's like I end up having random conversations completely out of context with all of my companions and we keep talking nonsense. I don't know what to do, but any help would be appreciated. Thank you guys.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    Your dialog.tlk is messed up. Do a clean install.
    @SirRonnoc - Are you installing on a Steam/GOG download with Siege of Dragonspear installed?

If so, before installing BG1NPC or any other mods, you will need to use the ModMerge utility to make your game moddable.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50441/modmerge-merge-your-steam-gog-zip-based-dlc-into-something-weidu-nearinfinity-dltcep-can-use/p1
    @AstroBryGuy Is Imoen B'day present to CHARNAME from BGNPC? May be from another mod, I can't tell.
    I was just wondering, if so, it seems strange she would give it to a WSlayer and then him not being able to wear it as she asks.

I suppose though we all get presents not suited to us at times.
    Just asking and tryin to track it down by elimination.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Zaghoul Yeah, its BGNPC.
    Thanks T.
    I was just wondering if it was intended to be off limits to WS's. Might be the perfect thing to BE allowed, as Imoen if anybody knows what he is.
    Just thrownin it out there.
  • ElthalasElthalas Member Posts: 6
    edited August 2017
    Hi there!
    First of all, thank you for supporting this and other mods. This are really really invaluable mods and its wonderful to see all the effort that it's done to keep them up to date. Thank you all also for this helpful community :)

I was going to do a new run of the triology, with dragonspear this time, so I began to install the mandatory mods (i don't have a long list, maybe 12 or 13). But I run into a problem with the weidu installation, and with what it seems to be the the BG1NPC mod.
    When I'm installing mods after BG1NPC (it is the 3th in my order of installation), and they're of an earlier version than 24000, they "freeze" after updating, precisly in the BG1NPC line. The log is this:

[D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\setup-bg1npcmusic.exe] WeiDU version 23700
    {setup-bg1npc.exe} Queried (pid = 740) version = 24000
    {setup-bgqe.exe} Queried (pid = 716) version = 24000
    Newest WeiDU is version 24000, updating!
    WeiDU files in version order:
    [setup-sirinescall.exe] version 24000
    [setup-bgqe.exe] version 24000
    [setup-bg1npc.exe] version 24000
    [setup-bg1npcmusic.exe] version 23700
    Copying [setup-sirinescall.exe] -> [setup-bg1npcmusic.exe]: false
    [setup-sirinescall.exe] WeiDU version 24000
    Auto-Updating on behalf of [setup-bg1npcmusic.exe]
    Copying [setup-sirinescall.exe] -> [setup-bg1npcmusic.exe]:
    Auto-Updating on behalf of [setup-bg1npcmusic.exe] (done)
    [setup-bg1npcmusic.exe] WeiDU version 24000
    {setup-bg1npc.exe} Queried (pid = 752)

And it doesn't progress further than that (pid = 752).
    If I close the window and start again, the weidu version is already updated so I can install the mod normally. When I run the next mod it happens again.
    Maybe it's not that important, but I don't want to run evertyhing and then encounter errors midgame.

I have the last BGEE version WITH dragonspear (uncompressed and patched, with modmerge).
    And the Copying [setup-sirinescall.exe] -> [setup-bg1npcmusic.exe]: false it always result in false, even if it tries to copy from another of the 24000 mods, not only from sirinescall.

The funny thing it's that first I didn't think of dragonspear, and I did an installation only with BGEE, with the same mods, and it worked perfectly, not a problem in the installation.
    The only different things I did this second time were the installation of dragonspear and that the first mod is Miniquest and encounters, not Sirines Call, wich was my first one that first time.

My mod order list is this:
    1. Mini quest & encounters
    2. Sirines call
    3. BG1NPC
    4. BG1NPC Music
    5. BG1 Unfinished Bussiness
    6. Xan Firendship
    7. Ilishka NPC
    8. Isra NPC
    9. Wand Case
    10. Artastrophe portraits (artaport)
    11. Rogue Rebalancing