Skip to content

BG1NPC Bug Report and Discussion Thread

Comments

• Camus34Camus34 Member Posts: 210

That's what I started with.

Ok, thanks, I'll give it a shot.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Ok. BG1NPC will currently break Coran's Wyvern quest on BGEEv2. Beamdog made the wyverns in the cave unique (which is what BG1NPC does to prevent random encounters from fulfilling the quest). So, BG1NPC doesn't find any "normal" wyverns to replace.

I need to see what other changes Beamdog made to Coran's quest...
    Camus34jackjack
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    edited April 2016
    @Camus34: If you get borked texts like that, the best option is to start again from complete scratch. Just reinstalling SoD is not enough, as you still have a messed up dialog file.

You really should remove all local content in steam, then manually check to see if the game directory still exists, and if so, delete it completely. Once everything is gone, perform a fresh install of BGEE with SoD, and once SoD is installed, you can install your mods. Be sure to start a fresh new game as well.
    Camus34
    edited April 2016
    Ugh. It looks like installing mods on the Steam version of SoD may have a hiccup. See this comment from @argent77 (https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/730863/#Comment_730863)
    Important information for Steam users:
    Beamdog decided to offer Steam users the "Siege of Dragonspear" expansion as a DLC in the form of a single zipped file named "dlc/sod-dlc.zip". All SoD-related resources have been included in the zip archive, including an expanded dialog.tlk which is used by the game instead of the one found in "lang/xx_YY". The current Near Infinity development snapshot can not access this content. As a result the game will be detected as plain "Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition" with the original resources of the base game. I'm currently working on a solution, but it requires to rework a major portion of NI's code base. I can't estimate when it will be done.
    WeiDU won't see the SoD dialog.tlk in the dlc zip file, and will mod the original one.

The Beamdog version of SoD (for OSX at least), just has the SoD-stuff integrated into the regular game directories. The download was actually the entire game (BGEE+SoD). So, with the Beamdog download, modding an SoD install works fine, but not for Steam ... yet.
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
    Camus34
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Camus34 said:

No. Install it in the folder with the chitin.key file.

That's what I did. Should I reinstall BG:EE itself? Edit: I mean do a clean install of BG:EE? I don't think it would really help...
    A clean install would give you a fresh dialog.tlk, that's probably the piece that's giving you the problem.
  • NildarNildar Member Posts: 33
    I have a clean v2.0 install without SoD on Steam. The only mod I installed after is BG1NPC.
    So far it is working well. Granted, I only just entered the Friendly Arms Inn area, but Imoen keeps yapping away (that girl can talk.. a lot! :p) and I encountered the bandit leader in the area south of the inn so it is working well so far.

I guess I will not install SoD until I am right before the Sarevok fight so I can still make a natural switch to SoD, but not have a broken mod beforehand. (Unless there is an update that makes it work together of course)
    AstroBryGuyCamus34
    @Nildar - Glad to hear it. FYI - there will be a problem with Coran's wyvern quest.
    Nildar
  • NildarNildar Member Posts: 33
    @AstroBryGuy Thanks for the heads up. I will probably not take him with me though. Deciding on a party is still giving me a headache. I really like the canon party..., but I want to take Rasaad as well (the only good character my female gnome cleric/illusionist can romance). So still deciding if I dump Khalid/Jaheira or Minsc/Dynaheir and who to take to fill that last spot.
    But that is veering a bit offtopic :# (although I could base my decision on who has the best BG1NPC content :D)
    booinyoureyesAstroBryGuy
  • JamesSJJamesSJ Member Posts: 1
    Hiya loved the mod, been doing a bg1 play through in anticipation of SoD. Just installed SoD and the banter is messed up in bg1. In example: I started a new game, left candlekeep and returned to Gorion's body to collect the note; Imoen's banter about Gorion's body is reading (I presume) from some banter that appears in SoD (something about rubywine). I have done a fresh install but the issue persists
    Nildar said:

I have a clean v2.0 install without SoD on Steam. The only mod I installed after is BG1NPC.
    So far it is working well. Granted, I only just entered the Friendly Arms Inn area, but Imoen keeps yapping away (that girl can talk.. a lot! :p) and I encountered the bandit leader in the area south of the inn so it is working well so far.

I guess I will not install SoD until I am right before the Sarevok fight so I can still make a natural switch to SoD, but not have a broken mod beforehand. (Unless there is an update that makes it work together of course)

I'm doing the same. I have the NPCmod installed with 2.0. I'll install SOD before Sarevok. Just got to Friendly Arm, no problems so far, and the player initiated dialogue is working fine.
    AstroBryGuy
    JamesSJ said:

Hiya loved the mod, been doing a bg1 play through in anticipation of SoD. Just installed SoD and the banter is messed up in bg1. In example: I started a new game, left candlekeep and returned to Gorion's body to collect the note; Imoen's banter about Gorion's body is reading (I presume) from some banter that appears in SoD (something about rubywine). I have done a fresh install but the issue persists

If you are playing on Steam, AstroBryGuy explained the issue
    Ugh. It looks like installing mods on the Steam version of SoD may have a hiccup. See this comment from @argent77 (https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/730863/#Comment_730863)

Beamdog decided to offer Steam users the "Siege of Dragonspear" expansion as a DLC in the form of a single zipped file named "dlc/sod-dlc.zip". All SoD-related resources have been included in the zip archive, including an expanded dialog.tlk which is used by the game instead of the one found in "lang/xx_YY". The current Near Infinity development snapshot can not access this content. As a result the game will be detected as plain "Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition" with the original resources of the base game. I'm currently working on a solution, but it requires to rework a major portion of NI's code base. I can't estimate when it will be done.

WeiDU won't see the SoD dialog.tlk in the dlc zip file, and will mod the original one.

The Beamdog version of SoD (for OSX at least), just has the SoD-stuff integrated into the regular game directories. The download was actually the entire game (BGEE+SoD). So, with the Beamdog download, modding an SoD install works fine, but not for Steam ... ye
    t.

AstroBryGuyJamesSJ
    @JamesSJ - BG1NPC should work ok (there is a bug with Coran's wyvern quest) with BGEEv2 without SoD. But, until there is a workaround for this DLC zip file stuff, it won't work on SoD.
    booinyoureyes
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I'm sorry if this has been answered, but it is a bit confusing following all of these posts. I downloaded SOD from Beamdog, and was wondering if I can install BGNPC on that without courting disaster
    edited April 2016
    @booinyoureyes - I think so. I have SoD on OSX direct from Beamdog. I am able to install BG1NPC and the dialogs work fine so far (no problems with dialog.tlk).
    booinyoureyes
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Thanks @AstroBryGuy ! You truly are one of the 'stars' of this forum
  • VyrulisseVyrulisse Member Posts: 108

The Beamdog version of SoD (for OSX at least), just has the SoD-stuff integrated into the regular game directories. The download was actually the entire game (BGEE+SoD). So, with the Beamdog download, modding an SoD install works fine, but not for Steam ... yet.

Well... poo. :( That's a strange way of providing a DLC by the way. I don't think I've seen it done that way before. At least not with any games I have.
    JamesSJ
  • JamesSJJamesSJ Member Posts: 1
    Camus34 said:

Explanation

Thanks for the info, it works if I uninstall the dlc so I can just play it as such and reinstall when i get to the end of the game.

Has anyone tried extracting the zip file over the regular contents?

I got a Beamdog version, but requested a Steam key. Will do some comparison when I got the Steam key.
    Camus34
  • NightRevanNightRevan Member Posts: 81

@JamesSJ - BG1NPC should work ok (there is a bug with Coran's wyvern quest) with BGEEv2 without SoD. But, until there is a workaround for this DLC zip file stuff, it won't work on SoD.

Do you know if this issue occurs with GoG as well, I seem to have had the same issues reported above and was thinking of doing a clear installation of BG1:EE with 2.0 but without SoD and hopefully that will solve the issue ans then just load the endgame save up in the game I have with SoD (from which I have uninstalled npc project and bg2tweaks which seemed to have caused issues) when I want to take the character into the expansion.
    Thels said:

Has anyone tried extracting the zip file over the regular contents?

I got a Beamdog version, but requested a Steam key. Will do some comparison when I got the Steam key.

@argent77 has outlined the procedure to unpack the DLC. It's a little more complicated than just extracting the zip file.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/732373/#Comment_732373
    Camus34

Do you know if this issue occurs with GoG as well, I seem to have had the same issues reported above and was thinking of doing a clear installation of BG1:EE with 2.0 but without SoD and hopefully that will solve the issue ans then just load the endgame save up in the game I have with SoD (from which I have uninstalled npc project and bg2tweaks which seemed to have caused issues) when I want to take the character into the expansion.
    Yep. GOG has the same issue as Steam with SoD.
    Camus34NightRevan
  • TheMetaphysicianTheMetaphysician Member Posts: 76
    When you say it "breaks" Coran's wyvern quest, what do you mean? Will it make it impossible to play with Coran -- will he leave because the wyvern quest is never fulfilled? Or does it crash the game? Or what?

I'm interested because I want to start a new full-trilogy playthrough, but I want to wait for this mod to be compatible with SoD. (The Steam problem doesn't affect me.)

When you say it "breaks" Coran's wyvern quest, what do you mean? Will it make it impossible to play with Coran -- will he leave because the wyvern quest is never fulfilled? Or does it crash the game? Or what?

I'm interested because I want to start a new full-trilogy playthrough, but I want to wait for this mod to be compatible with SoD. (The Steam problem doesn't affect me.)

Not sure yet. I haven't had time to look it over. I did note that Beamdog made the wyverns unique, so BG1NPC won't replace the wyverns in the cave with its own unique wyverns. That might break the quest.
    Camus34
    edited April 2016
    Updated BG1NPC for Coran's Wyvern Quest available at: https://github.com/AstroBryGuy/BG1NPC/archive/master.zip

The quest should now work on BGEEv2 with BG1NPC.
    Nildarjackjack
  • TheMetaphysicianTheMetaphysician Member Posts: 76
    Great! Thanks for that!
    Just to clarify, is it even possible to workaround the way SoD is delivered for some people or are we going to have to use the unpacking method? I'm wary of trying that and can wait for updated installers/mods. I just want to know if it's possible to fix this weirdness.

If it isn't, I might have to unpack the archive as instructed a few posts up. >.>
    edited April 2016
    Vyrulisse said:

Just to clarify, is it even possible to workaround the way SoD is delivered for some people or are we going to have to use the unpacking method? I'm wary of trying that and can wait for updated installers/mods. I just want to know if it's possible to fix this weirdness.

If it isn't, I might have to unpack the archive as instructed a few posts up. >.>

No easy workaround, since the game uses the dialog.tlk in the DLC zip file. @swit /K4thos has created an UnzipSoD mod over at G3. It is still preliminary, as it is waiting on an updated WeiDU to correctly extract all the files.

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27941&p=243310
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
    VyrulisseCamus34
    Thank you, I'll keep my eye on that when WeiDU gets updated. You're the best. :)
    Note that there is now also this:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50441/modmerge-merge-your-steam-gog-zip-based-dlc-into-something-weidu-nearinfinity-dltcep-can-use

I've run it and the game runs just fine. Gonna install a couple of mods one by one to see if they break the game or not.
    AstroBryGuy
    After using the above link, the NPC Project, along with the Music Pack, runs just fine on 2.0 with SoD installed on Steam. The NPC icons appear in conversations, and Imoen brings up Gorion when looting his body just fine.

In the thread I linked above, @Horg reported running the NPC project just fine on GoG as well, but he had to first create a dlc folder and move the zip in there.
    Nildarjackjack