Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited April 2017
    @Wise_Grimwald: That's the truly confusing part. BASILG1.itm, the Greater Basilisk gaze attack, BASILL1.itm, the Lesser Basilisk gaze attack, and F_MEDGAZE.itm, the Medusa gaze attack, ALL use projectile 65, the GAZE projectile. But the Potion of Mirrored Eyes (POTN38.spl, the IR spell) gives immunity to 64, which is also "GAZE" in Near Infinity.

If 65 and 64 were different, the potion would grant immunity to neither. If they were the same, the potion would grant immunity to both. But the inconsistency, 64 and 65, is between the attacks and the potion, not between the two attacks.

In PROJECTL.ids, GAZE is only 64, not 65. Yet the potion (64) was clearly granting Morwen immunity to the basilisk attack (65), as she suffered a lot of hits from the basilisks without ever needing to make a save. But otherwise the basilisk attacks were working just fine, as Ajantis, Tiax's Ghoul, and Kivan all got hit.

Theoretically, it's possible the potion grants immunity to both attacks, and the potion ran out at just the right time. But that's only a gap of a few seconds in a 300-second spell, and Morwen had drunk the potion very, very recently before she died.

But yes, since the Medusa's gaze only has a range of 6, you can stay out of harm's way by kiting them.
    StummvonBordwehrWise_Grimwald
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 591

Some mod items don't have the proper immunities even when the install order is correct. I've seen at least one mod item in Near Infinity that flat-out gave immunity to the wrong opcode, making the item do absolutely nothing! A lot of mod items don't work properly because the creator didn't know enough about the engine to make them work.

@Aasim: Normally, I'd have SR installed late, but BWS has a particular order for installing mods, and I can't tweak it. To fix this bug, I'd have to install everything manually, which is likely to cause more bugs instead of less. Because whoever set up BWS will know more about mod order than I do.

Any idea why the Medusa was able to get past IR's Potion of Mirrored Eyes? The Medusa's attack and the basilisk's attack both used the GAZE projectile.

Well, old mods are always a risk - in the early days of modding (think The Darkest Day) nobody even had reasons to care about compatibility since everything was incompatible with everything else. :)
    About BWS - hmm... @ALIEN ? The install order from semiticgod is very wrong from the start. Spell Rev before Item Rev is wrong. Base Item Rev can go whenever you want, but SR must go after - it needs to go after all item-adding mods. And most spell adding mods, at least those that add new spells to the game.
    The way it's handled now completely busts SR - it will mess up a lot of stuff concerning Dispelling Screen, Petrification, Haste/Slow etc. Just put it after Refinements in BWS; it has an added compatibility block.

About medusa - I don't have the medusa-adding mod, but I remember when playtesting a megamod compilation it worked fine vs them....then again, I did the install manually, and installed SR after medusas adding mod.
    What you could do is the following (it will/should fix your petrification protection issues at least)
    Download this template
    Open up components/items.tpa
    Delete everything from there
    Copy paste this code into items.tpa file

ADD_SECTYPE ~k1#Petrify~ @21005

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~^.+\.itm$~ ~override~
    PATCH_IF (SOURCE_SIZE > 0x71) BEGIN
    READ_LONG 0x64 ab_off
    READ_SHORT 0x68 ab_num
    READ_LONG 0x6a ef_off
    FOR (i=0;i 0x71) BEGIN
    SET found_petrify=0
    READ_LONG 0x64 ab_off
    READ_SHORT 0x68 ab_num
    READ_LONG 0x6a ef_off
    FOR (i=0;i 0x71) BEGIN
    LPF CLONE_EFFECT INT_VAR match_opcode = 43 opcode = 221 parameter2 = %k1#Petrify% silent = 1 END
    END
    BUT_ONLY

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~.*\.spl$~ ~override~
    LPF CLONE_EFFECT INT_VAR match_opcode = 43 opcode = 221 parameter2 = %k1#Petrify% silent = 1 END
    END
    BUT_ONLY

COPY_EXISTING ~spwi604.spl~ ~override~
    WRITE_BYTE 0x27 "%k1#Petrify%"
    BUT_ONLY

COPY_EXISTING ~spwi604d.spl~ ~override~
    WRITE_BYTE 0x27 "%k1#Petrify%"
    BUT_ONLY

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~.*\.itm$~ ~override~
    LPF CLONE_EFFECT INT_VAR multi_match = 1 match_opcode = 101 opcode = 206 match_parameter2 = 134 STR_VAR resource = spwi604d silent = 1 END
    LPF DELETE_ITEM_EFFECT INT_VAR opcode_to_delete = 134 END END

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~.*\.spl$~ ~override~
    LPF CLONE_EFFECT INT_VAR multi_match = 1 match_opcode = 101 opcode = 206 match_parameter2 = 134 STR_VAR resource = spwi604d silent = 1 END
    LPF DELETE_SPELL_EFFECT INT_VAR opcode_to_delete = 134 END END

Open up languages/english and add this line
    @21005 = ~Petrification effect reverted~

Install by running mycustom. This can be installed last.
    However, this Weidu will lead to more crazy stuff.
    lolienCrevsDaakWise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisov
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Gate70 said:

Nashkel Mine held little of concern to the trio

No doubt about it - those kobolds just can't cut the mustard :p.
    Wise_GrimwaldGate70CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    @Grond0 Congrats on success against the big guy. :)
    Grond0CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
    edited April 2017
    CrevsDaak said:

Dunno about the final Battle... I think I'm going to go out and rest whenever I need to

Don't rely on that unless you have mods that change the standard behavior (which doesn't allow leaving the temple or resting once the fight begins).

I think I should pick up Conjure Lesser Fire Elemental for BG2, but I'm not sure about it, I think It'll help a LOT in Chateau Irenicus, but honestly I've never used it, thoughts on it?
    It is a great spell when cast in advance, though the delay while you try and control the elemental and the chance of it going hostile means it's not such a good option for use in combat.
    CrevsDaakStummvonBordwehrWise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisov
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited April 2017
    Grond0 said:

CrevsDaak said:

I think I should pick up Conjure Lesser Fire Elemental for BG2, but I'm not sure about it, I think It'll help a LOT in Chateau Irenicus, but honestly I've never used it, thoughts on it?

It is a great spell when cast in advance, though the delay while you try and control the elemental and the chance of it going hostile means it's not such a good option for use in combat.
    OK then, it's a set objective now. I am not sure how I'll take it down if it goes hostile on me on Chateau, but I just hope it doesn't.
    Grond0 said:

CrevsDaak said:

Dunno about the final Battle... I think I'm going to go out and rest whenever I need to

Don't rely on that unless you have mods that change the standard behavior (which doesn't allow leaving the temple or resting once the fight begins).
    Oh, you're right, I had forgotten about that lol.
    JuliusBorisov
  • ussnorwayussnorway Member Posts: 341
    a fire ele can't see invis targets... it may be worth loading a 'Minor Sequencer' with invis before you try it?
    CrevsDaak
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    @Grond0 Hard luck. Just when you thought you had it won! :(
    ArctodusCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 996
    Tough break Grond0 - I wonder if an extra healing potion being gulped could have helped there... :)
    That was never going to happen - he could have used a Bhaal healing ability though if I'd realised the problem :p.
    Wise_Grimwald
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    You don't play with potions you mean?
    Neverused
    None of my runs allow any type of item-based magical healing - potions, rod of resurrection, gloves of healing etc. I also don't allow antidotes, which has cost me plenty of deaths over the years. Occasionally I'll add extra restrictions, but most of the time other potions are fair game :).
    @semiticgod - interesting idea, but it couldn't have been strength drain. While Tor'Gal was cheesily hanging on at 1 HP he killed Baby Face (who was running round scared and got too close to him) and then finished off the berserk warrior who was the only one left in melee range. Tor'Gal then picked out Al and ran at him - and Al dodged away for the second or two longer until Tor'Gal finally snuffed it. For strength drain to be fatal he would have had to have been at strength 3 or less while DUHM was active - which would make it difficult to run round in full plate ...
    semiticgoddessCrevsDaakCorey_RussellJuliusBorisov