Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    Jared4242 said:

Bronwynn here may be a Fighter/Thief, but his warrior side has yet to be discovered; only good with daggers given his time as a prospective chef, the little elf is not only -not- hardy, but his sense of wisdom has something to be desired, and beyond daggers and his agility, he has no true skills. F

Oh, a cooking collegue! Best luck for the run!
  • MirageMirage Member Posts: 81
    Your posts are so inspiring @semiticgod!

I think your knowledge about the game and your efforts make you the player to crack, exploit, test the game's vulnerabilities.

I'll probably retire the scorcher loop after this run. Same goes for blind backstabbing, but maybe not for blind trap setting, which I haven't used to its full potential yet. Once I thoroughly experiment with a trick, I tend to stop using it--usually outright. This happened with the Wand of the Lightning trick, the Project Image summoning trick, the Project Image Chain Contingency trick, the Shocking Grasp+Polymorph Self trick, song stacking, the Nahal's Reckless Dweomer hotkey trick, the Chain Contingency hotkey trick the potion swap glitch, the Rift Device smuggling trick, Blur stacking, Armor of Faith stacking, dualing to thief from the Generic Archer kit from tactics to get area-effect STR drain, Protection from Undead, using rare scrolls via clones, dual-wielding shapeshifting tokens, and the Shapechange trick, all of which I stress-tested in various challenge runs.

There are so many ways to break this game. Infinite spells, infinite summons, infinite scrolls, invulnerability, instant death on plot-related enemies, permanent invisibility, party-wide 50 damage per hit at 10 APR, 100,000 damage with three spells... Even the console and Shadowkeeper can't do all of that.

Even so from your last post I get the feeling that you are not that satisfied..it also makes me wanna see your weidu log (for educational purposes also :smile: ).

I think you are doing a great job, I am curious what your next trick will be after the scorcher loop!
    Remember, you are being watched!!!
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I really appreciate the enthusiasm, @Mirage. I'm very fond of breaking down systems and seeing how they work. If only we could do this for systems in real life... I'd love to be able to break down political affairs and diplomacy the same way. Unfortunately we haven't progressed that far yet.

I'm not yet satisfied. There's always been more to learn. I don't know what comes after the scorcher loop, but I'm considering using the blind thief trick on a Bounty Hunter instead, to do in-combat traps rather than backstabbing. I don't know what else I'll do in the next run.

I think this is my WeiDu log:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
    // The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
    // ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #1000 // Initialise mod (all other components require this): v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #1910 // Protection from Normal Missiles also blocks Arrows of Fire/Cold/Acid and similar projectiles without pluses: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2010 // More consistent Breach spell (always affects liches and rakshasas; doesn't penetrate Spell Turning): v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2020 // Antimagic attacks penetrate improved invisibility: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2030 // Iron Skins behaves like Stoneskin (can be brought down by Breach): v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2041 // Modify the Harm spell so it does damage rather than reducing target to 1 hp -> Enemy and player Harm spells both do 150 hp of damage: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2050 // Allow individual versions of Spell Immunity to be placed into Contingencies and Spell Triggers: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2070 // Blade Barrier and Globe of Blades only affect hostile creatures: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2080 // Cap damage done by Skull Trap at 12d6: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2090 // Make Power-Word: Blind single-target: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2100 // Make Minute Meteors into +2 weapons: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2110 // Reduce the power of Inquisitors' Dispel Magic -> Inquisitors dispel at 1.5 x their level (not twice their level): v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2120 // Slightly weaken insect plague spells, and let fire shields block them: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2140 // Slightly increase the power of Mantle, Improved Mantle, and Absolute Immunity: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2150 // Make spell sequencers, spell triggers, and contingencies learnable by all mages: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2160 // Add an extra copy of some hard-to-find spell scrolls: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2170 // True Sight/True Seeing spells protect from magical blindness: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2180 // Prevent Simulacra and Projected Images from using magical items: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #3010 // Replace +1 arrows with nonmagical "fine" ones: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #3020 // Replace +1 magical weapons with Fine ones: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #3041 // Reduce the number of Arrows of Dispelling in stores -> Stores sell a maximum of 5 Arrows of Dispelling: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #3110 // Change Carsomyr so that its Dispel on contact power grants a saving throw: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4010 // Grant large, flying, non-solid or similar creatures protection from Web and Entangle: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4030 // Improved shapeshifting: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4040 // Make party members less likely to die irreversibly: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4180 // Make Freedom scrolls available earlier: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4210 // Randomise the maze in Watcher's Keep: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4215 // Remove unrealistically helpful items from certain areas: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4216 // Remove unrealistically convenient ammunition from certain areas -> Only remove nonmagical ammo from random containers: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5010 // Move Boo into Minsc's pack: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5020 // Remove the blur graphic effect from the Cloak of Displacement: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5030 // Remove animation from the Cloak of Mirroring (leave it for other spells and effects that use the same graphic): v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5900 // Initialise AI components (required for all tactical and AI components): v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6000 // Smarter general AI: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6010 // Better calls for help: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6024 // Add high-level abilities (HLAs) to spellcasters -> All eligible spellcasters in Throne of Bhaal and Shadows of Amn get HLAs (very challenging and not really recommended!): v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6030 // Smarter Mages -> Mages cast some short-duration spells instantly at start of combat, to simulate pre-battle casting: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6040 // Smarter Priests -> Priests cast some short-duration spells instantly at start of combat, to simulate pre-battle casting: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6100 // Potions for NPCs -> All of the potions dropped by slain enemies are recoverable: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6200 // Improved Spiders: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6500 // Improved golems: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6510 // Improved fiends -> Fiends have about 50 percent more hit points than normal: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6520 // Smarter genies -> Genies have about 50 percent more hit points than normal: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6530 // Smarter celestials -> Celestials have about 50 percent more hit points than normal: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6540 // Smarter dragons -> Dragons have a substantial hit point increase: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6551 // Smarter beholders -> Don't give beholder rays any chance of burning through spell protections; beholder antimagic blocks all spells, including harmful ones, for a round (simulates D&D rules): v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6560 // Smarter mind flayers -> Illithids have only original-game resistances; Illithids can see through invisibility: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6570 // Smarter githyanki: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6580 // Improved Vampires: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6590 // Smarter Throne of Bhaal final villain: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8000 // Make the starting dungeon slightly harder: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8010 // Improved Shade Lord: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8020 // Spellcasting Demiliches: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8030 // More resilient trolls: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8042 // Increase difficulty of level-dependent monster groupings -> Almost-maximum difficulty (maximum for everything except liches): v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8050 // Improved Random Encounters: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8060 // Improved de'Arnise Keep ("Tactics Remix") -> Spirit trolls have the same powers as in the original game: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8070 // Improved Unseeing Eye: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8081 // Improved Bodhi (Tactics Remix) -> Original Tactics Improved Bodhi with SCSII scripting: v30
    // Recently Uninstalled: ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8090 // Party's items are taken from them in Spellhold: v30
    // Recently Uninstalled: ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8100 // Improved battle with Irenicus in Spellhold: v30
    // Recently Uninstalled: ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8110 // Improved Sahuagin: v30
    // Recently Uninstalled: ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8120 // Improved Beholder hive (adapted from Quest Pack): v30
    // Recently Uninstalled: ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8130 // Prevent resting in the Illithid city: v30
    // Recently Uninstalled: ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8140 // Slightly Improved Drow -> Upgrade Ust Natha's defences: v30
    // Recently Uninstalled: ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8150 // Slightly Improved Watcher's Keep: v30
    // Recently Uninstalled: ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8160 // Improved Fire Giant temple: v30
    // Recently Uninstalled: ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8170 // Enhanced Sendai's Enclave: v30
    // Recently Uninstalled: ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8180 // Improved Abazigal's Lair: v30
    // Recently Uninstalled: ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8190 // Improved Minor Encounters: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8100 // Improved battle with Irenicus in Spellhold: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8110 // Improved Sahuagin: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8120 // Improved Beholder hive (adapted from Quest Pack): v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8130 // Prevent resting in the Illithid city: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8140 // Slightly Improved Drow -> Upgrade Ust Natha's defences: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8150 // Slightly Improved Watcher's Keep: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8160 // Improved Fire Giant temple: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8170 // Enhanced Sendai's Enclave: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8180 // Improved Abazigal's Lair: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #8190 // Improved Minor Encounters: v30

I don't know what it means when it says it uninstalled some of the components, but the lines below suggest I reinstalled them, which is what I meant to do. I'm not sure why the Watcher's Keep maze randomization is there, since I didn't install that. Sometimes I worry about my install having errors, because twice before I've played through a largely vanilla game without knowing it. I'm a little concerned about the lack of HLAs I've been seeing enemy mages use. Maybe it's because I've been invisible so often and the enemy mages are careful not to waste them.

I usually install everything. Most of my choices tend to be the harder difficulty stuff, with some limits (I'm not fond of random encounters with liches). I have automatic enemy pre-buffs on almost every run, since I prefer to pre-buff and it's more fair if the enemy does, too. Also, the enemy mages aren't nearly as hard without buffs. My parties are usually magic-heavy and can throw out multiple debuffers per round. Since there's usually only one or two enemy mages per encounter, debuffing them can be done very quickly.
    edited October 2015
    Walhand Loyalar, Cavalier (3rd post)

The brave paladin and his party are venturing forth!
    They explored the whole Sword Coast and faced multiple enemies which granted them a lot of experience in battle. They just didn't visit the demonic "Durlag's Tower", it still seems a really dangerous place.
    Cloakwood forest has been explored with minimum difficulties, everybody was well prepared (carrying antidotes, cure poison spells for priests, Alora kept Finding traps all over).
    It is time they face a worthy opponent. They reached a mine base deep in the Cloakwood forest.
    Drasus is waiting for them...

The game has run very good so far, charname was never in actual danger. I was really confident and even got lost a bit playing enjoying the game. This is the time that I usually get overconfident and I die. Same thing almost happened now, but zaaappppp.... Hey man wake up we are facing Drasus now! One more thing that makes this even more exciting is that I am reaching the furthest point I've ever been in a no-reload run. This is actually -klaps- just before the Davaeorn fight, the silliest death ever, but that game was not modded (no SCS).

The fight is about to start!
    Skull trap by Xan, he got wounded for this and retreated for a healing drink. Web by Quayle, Silence by Branwen. Everybody got silenced except Rezdan. Genthore died while webed. The Cavalier roams freely thanks to a ring of free action. A second silence by Quayle makes Rezdan to keep his mouth shut. In the meantime Drasus has just landed a hit on Kivan...
    image To my surprice I see Rezdan casting a spell.. I get a bit anxious, wasn't he silenced? Cavaliers saves are very low thanks to potion of invulnerability. Death is actually 0. Any case I will spend another charge of greenstone amulet even though I am probably late for this. I also have Quayle cast a magic missile for a lucky spell interruption

Great! Rezdan casted vocalize! Cavalier is safe! Let's do it!
    He spell triggered invisibility mirror image. In the meantime Drasus (doomed now) is chasing Branwen..she already used an improved healing potion.

Quayle just died...this is getting weird
    Kysus fella is dead. Drasus remains and he attacks Branwen who is held by web. Rezdan is also invisible.
    He is in real trouble now! Fortunately Rezdan is playing chicken game, mercenary as he is...wait NO! I heard
    a spell trigger! Check the dialogue windowimageThe spell on the top of the screen is a bless one, being casted by Branwen.

IIRC Rezdan is an enchanter, I have to deal him immediately. But Drasus is near death, I will try an extra damage spell to kill him fast instead of kiting him. Which I did. I thought though that he would be hiding at the corner so I had Branwen summon some skeletons to keep him busy. Right now I guess the most experienced guys reading my post know I am wrong. I think the next pic speaks by itself.
    image Seems his remove magic spell failed.. he he. Xan will spell thrust him immediately. He is now cornered and with no magical protections. He just managed to confuse Branwen though.image
    This snicky guy drank another invisibility potion. I set Alora to detect illusions, no time he casts CHAOS. The cavalier is well protected though the rest got affected and...wait ha ha ha image He hadn't heard about the female gnome before!!!

The fight is over!! But ofc something more went wrong. Kivan killed Alora under CHAOS. But nevermind, boots of speed on the way!!!

Right now I am surprised with the smooth progression that the game had. I usually play only solo no-reload and right now all this blood spelt by my Bhaalspawns is finally paying off.
    Let's see how I will do with Davaeorn..

edit: I had a problem in Gullykin (misspell) . Jenkal, the evil gnome seemed to disappear twice while in battle. First time in his home, second during the fight with the evil Ogremagi. I got really pissed cause he killed Xan back then and I didn't punish him for it. Detect illusions and Detect invisibility didn't work, but I think I have seen this before in my very first run of bg:ee, I am not sure though. Is it a known bug? Or is it maybe caused by the installed mods....!?!
    Post edited by Mirage on
  • Jared4242Jared4242 Member Posts: 130
    Part II of Bronwynn the Fighter/Thief's travels!

After meeting Xvar and Montaron (the former was not too thrilled when Bronwynn asked him about cooking dinner), the now party of four went to the Arm, and after a close battle with a certain mage went awry (Monty still has burn marks from those magic missles), we met up with Auntie Jaheira and Khalid, whom would bicker inncessently with our Zhentarim companions. Rather than kick one of these groups to the curb, Bronwynn was far too ignorant to foresee the impending fight. Anywho, Beregost!

While Khalid and Jaheira rested at the Burning Wizard, Zhent Co, Imoen, and tiny, hungry Bronwynn decided to steal from the townsfolk, given they weren't quite so well known yet, and would not be held accountable when news reached the Mayor the following morning. It was upon returning to the Inn that plan went up in smoke, as Monty saw fit to slaughter two thugs. So much for the heroes of the sword coast. The following day, we met Silke, and after an intense fight, Imoen and Monty lay dazed, but the rest cut the mischievous mage down.

Finally, after Xzar used his newly won lightning wand on a deranged fellow Zhentarim cleric, we claimed a prize of 5000 gold, and made for Nashkel. Bronwynn started to suspect his Harper and Zhentarim friends may be at eachother's throats soon enough. But for now, Nashkel!

Progress!
    Bronwynn~Fighter1/Thief2
    Imoen~Thief3
    Auntie Jahiera~Fighter2/Druid2
    Khalid~Fighter2
    Monty~Fighter1/Thief2
    Xzar~Necromancer1
  • @CharlestonianTemplar: Well met! I haven't seen you here before, only on the Bioware forums.

SoD would be Siege of Dragonspear. I understand it's an interquel for the BG saga.

Wow. Thanks for the info sg. Can't tell from reading it but I'm hoping it's compatible with original BG/TotSC (Tutu) and SoA/ToB. I would flip if it is. In some ways it reads like it's only compatible with EE which I just don't enjoy as much.
    Took on the Planar Sphere. Nothing too scary. The big enemies here are all mages, and between Edwin, Imoen, Jan, and Aerie, we have enough debuffers to bring down even Lavok's defenses in short order. Without spell buffs, we have all kinds of disrupters and disablers to throw at them.

Aerie is the first member of our party to hit epic levels. She chooses Summon Deva as her first HLA. Jan isn't far behind. Sil's dual-classing set her back, while Edwin, Cernd, and especially Imoen are lagging behind because they joined the party so late.

I tried to pickpocket Firkraag for Carsomyr, but Jan can't get close enough to the dragon to nab the sword. In vanilla I was able to do it, but for some reason I can't do it in EE.
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059

I have edited my own house rules in the original post to include:

"Do unto the AI as you would have the AI do unto you."

Following the discussion here
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/44257/7-3x4-8-3x6-9-3x8
    .... and based on @subtledoctor 's comments

I am gonna edit my Dragon Disciple's spell book this once to remove Spell Sequencer. (It may still be a useful later choice to be used once per day, but not an obvious game breaker to be used every round.)

I'm instead gonna pick Limited Wish. A more subdued defensive option & utility.

• BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    edited October 2015
    bengoshi said:

@Mirage Congrats on beating the Drasus party. I guess the fact that you have the Greenstone Amulets helps a lot in your run, doesn't it? In my own RP attempt I see no way for my party to go to the Ulgoth's Beard before reaching the Baldur's Gate city at least.

RP reason:
    After clearing the bandit camp, Charname decides to head up the coast to make sure there aren't any outlying groups still waylaying travelers. It makes tactical sense, too. He doesn't want to leave any potential enemy forces in his rear as he advances on the enemy stronghold.
    Ygramul said:

I am gonna edit my Dragon Disciple's spell book this once to remove Spell Sequencer. (It may still be a useful later choice to be used once per day, but not an obvious game breaker to be used every round.)

I'm instead gonna pick Limited Wish. A more subdued defensive option & utility.

I used limited wish outside of combat in IWD, but I never used it in combat. I'll be interested to see how that works.
    edited October 2015
    bengoshi said:

@Mirage Congrats on beating the Drasus party. I guess the fact that you have the Greenstone Amulets helps a lot in your run, doesn't it? In my own RP attempt I see no way for my party to go to the Ulgoth's Beard before reaching the Baldur's Gate city at least.

Interesting point!
    In the back of my mind I want to clear the rest of the areas like I did and proceed to Baldur's Gate. I could roleplay it and visit Ulgoth's Beard if I had a bard in the party or if I was told by someone. But neither of the 2 is true. I don't know lorewise how far Ulgoth's Beard is, but I guess it may be quite far and the map is just misleading. I don't think my party had any reason at all to visit Ulgoth's Beard, especially when they were about to explore the Cloakwood forest. Now it is obvious to me that it was just pure meta-gaming.

Moreover I realized that I like SCS at its touphest for BG1, except the mages & priest precasting - spells. The reason is I don't cheese and I like to enter a fight with minimum magical defenses.
    This kind of challenge adds to difficulty, enhances role-play and raises the adrenaline during the fight ofc!
    I think this is a good rule for my next playthrough!
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    @Jared4242 , as well as enjoying the current progress of your humble party, I was very curious to know how you acquired Imoen & Jaheira's BG2 portraits for BG:EE in perfect measurement. Do you also have Edwin, Viconia & Minsc's?

I'd love to get a hold of all of them myself. With the arguable exception of Edwin's, I find them all to be vastly superior. Let me know when you get the opportunity :)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited October 2015
    Of course, one can always find a justification for himself, @BillyYank . But I find it very difficult to convince myself that a party can leave everything it has in terms of bandit quests etc and go as far to the North as Ulgoth's Beard. I can see a party going to the Ulcaster Ruins, to the Firewine Bridge because there're numerous references to these places if you talk to people in Beregost. I can see a party going to the seaside because these locations are just south to the Candlekeep.

Ulgoth's Beard came to the vanilla game with the expansion, so (to me) it should not be reachable from the start.

In original BG1 Ulgoth's Beard was accessible only from the northern edge of Wyrm's crossing on the Baldur's Gate side of the bridge, so that in oder to go there you had to complete everything related to the Cloakwood forest first. In BGEE it's accessible from either side of the bridge.

Even if I didn't know this, I would still think that the fact you can reach Ulgoth's Beard only if you enter the location in front of Baldur's Gate would mean that adventuring parties going to this village should be ready for challenges the city provides, thus they should be of those levels defeating Davaeorn provides.

One more thing. One of the quests in Ulgoth's Beard is closely connected to the events in the city - I mean Shandalar and his daughters.

This is from the game point of view. And this is what is written in the wiki:

According to the wiki, Ulgoth's Beard was a hamlet on the north bank of the river Chionthar, within sight of the Sea of Swords. It was home mostly to poor shepherds and fishermen. The purpose of the settlement was to warn Baldur's Gate of pending attacks or pirate raids. To travel to Ulgoth's Beard, one was required to navigate rolling grassy hills or arrive by boat as there was no road.

So, from the wiki, reaching the city should be the first step on the road to Ulgoth's Beard.

We've had a good discussion on this matter here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/15827/does-anyone-restrict-themselves-from-visiting-ulgoths-beard-too-early/
    @recklessheart I think that was from the NPC mod.
    edited October 2015
    Walhand Loyalar vs Davaeorn

Let's begin
    Protected from magic the cavalier will chase davaeorn around when he teleports, the trap triggered. After this bless spell I am gonna probably cast sweet air hmm...

The fight seems very easy until now. The party is handling the entrance perfectly. The cavalier is hitting Davaeorn constantly, making him using his mirror images and stoneskins. Battle horrors seem a joke against the lvl6 Cavalier even when I am using a 2h sword. I thought it would be more difficult...let's see
    image The fight is still on. A web spell is casted at entrance which really helps in handling enemy reinforcements. In the meanwhile I've lost Davaeorn during the fight and I can't find him. Walhand is searching all over :neutral:image Kivan is a worthy fighter, standing toe to toe with that battle horror. Plan now is to locate Davaeorn and bring sneakily Xan to spell thrust him...The fight continues, one battle horror left. Branwen show the meaning of being a frontline priest although you cannot see her at the right top corner.imageOnly problem now is that Davaeorn has not appeared yet...either he is invisible or something is wrong..no there he is image
    It is time he pays for his crimes...and he doesimage

I must say that I am impressed. If you can handle the reinforcements and you have a fighter protected from magic chasing Davaeorn the fight is ridiculous. The evil conjurer had no options at all rather than hit me with a 20 roll with his stick. I expected much more of a challenge. I am not even happy for making it eventually to Baldur's Gate in a no-reload run.

Protection from Magic scroll is way too overpowered if you ask me...I must consider a rule for this...
    @Mirage: Using a Protection from Magic scroll for Davaeorn is pretty standard for no-reloaders.
    Mirage said:

Protection from Magic scroll is way too overpowered if you ask me...I must consider a rule for this...

Yeah, I never permit myself to use it.

Though I do use entire stack of potions for fights like Daveorn. (Besides her mercilessly dispels most of them.)
    edited October 2015
    Part IV of Bronwynn the Fighter/Thief's travels!

Big update this. As we pressed through the mines, Monty proved vital as a scout and backstabber; by positioning himself by kobold archers, and stabbing as the rest of the party charged in, we made quick words of the SCS beefed Mines. That said, the larger groups required us to use some potions of explosive. At this point Bronwynn and Imoen let the more experienced four do the dirty work, the two shooting arrows and throwing daggers in desperation. Pressing into Mulahey's chambers, we made suprisingly quick work of the improved fight, so quick I only managed to nab a screenshot of the last skeleton falling.

Dragging ourselves from the mines, and a few looted graves later (Monty and Xzar giggling all the while as they clutched a mithral ring, and Bronwynn clutching a lovely dagger Monty had gifted him), we returned as heroes to Nashkel. Bronwynn didn't care much for being a hero however; all he wanted was a nap in the Nashkel Inn and a hearty meal. So of course, an assassin had to stop us in the streets. Clutching that newly won dagger, our hero but waited as the rest of his party fought Nimbel. Finally, hunger overtaking him, he charged right at Nimbul as Khalid struck down his defenses, driving the dagger deep into his enemies chest.

A large meal, a longer nap, and some counseling words from Auntie Jahiera and Khalid that the assassin had it coming, they poured over the letters they had retried so far. With all haste the party made for Beregost, nothing but stopping the bandits on their mind. Though this didn't stop the four to argue incessantly as they walked; I feel a fight coming. After a quick interrogating with Tranzig, the party had a choice; make right for the bandit keep, or try to learn more of them before confronting the veritable army. Two things swayed them; the magical weapons and goods they may find to the East and South of Beregost, and possibly heading off any reinforcements from Amn, should any take the mountain path. They party stocked up at the Thunderhammar Smithy (where an Ankheg suit of armour would wait for them on their return), and made east, where they were promptly chewed on by wolves.

Well, where Jahiera was gnawed on by wolves. She almost died, but a lengthy fight later, with Xzar's wand collection saving the day, we were able to go on, 4000 experience richer with the two vampire wolves. So far, Xzar's mad use of wands, Khalid's tanking, Jahiera's healing, and Monty's scouting has saved us more times than I can count. Meanwhile, Imoen and Bronwynn concerned themselves with picking what goodies they could, and hunting for a proper meal.

Finally, we began South and East, on the hunt for bandits and goodies. Bronwynn was nervous, but for the first time in their adventure, excited; he didn't think himself a hero, but by the day, his fighting skill and daring grew, for better or worse.

Progress!
    Bronwynn~Fighter3/Thief3
    Imoen~Thief4
    Auntie Jahiera~Fighter3/Druid3
    Khalid~Fighter4
    Monty~Fighter2/Thief3
    Xzar~Necromancer3
    I just started and ended a run in Nightmare mode. Turning my previous run on its head, I decided to try a fighter-based party, and use no summons. We had a Fighter/Illusionist, Fighter/Magic/Cleric, Fighter/Mage/Thief, Fighter/Thief, Fighter/Cleric, and Fighter/Druid. Four characters died in the first fight with the Duergar. I decided to call it quits. Granted, they hadn't rested yet and weren't fighting at full power, but it was a pretty telling omen nonetheless. Go up against Nightmare mode enemies without summons, and you'll need strong AC, which we did not have.
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    Hey all, wanted to pop in and let you know I'll be updating sometime soon. Between work and school and planning for two P&P campaigns and trying to finish Dragon Age I've had my hands full. So the party will see the Vale, just not within the next day or so.
    edited October 2015
    The attack on the Vampire lair, at last!

[Selyna the Dragon Disciple, accompanied by Keldorn, Jaheira, Jan, Aeria, Minsc]

Lvl 7 choice of Limited Wish proves useful as Negative Plane Protection provided by the Djinni is handy against level drain.

I am confident as Keldorn, Jaheira, and Minsc begin spanking the Fledgling Vampires left and right. I run into a certain "Tanova" and charge her straight on.

Then the whole hell breaks loose...

1. She casts a spell trigger with Mislead/Spell Imm:Div/Spell Shield. (SCS is earning its fee here.)

2. My NPP has run out; I will renew it, but that is almost 10 seconds of unprotected exposure. We begin to retreat. Selyna begins working on Tanova's multiple spell defenses.

3. Tanova casts Horrid Wilting upon the retreating party.

4. Everybody is hurt badly. Aerie is instantly dead! Minsc yells out a battlecry and goes berserk. (Wait, that's good; now he is immune to level drain.)

5. Tanova casts Chaos Sphere!
    Uh oh! I pull everyone out of there. No way of reliably protecting to all possible nasty effects.
    Minsc doesn't even hear me (berserk, remember?).

6. Tanova casts PfMW. Minsc continues wailing at her to no effect. Refuses to walk out of the Chaos Sphere - or change weapons. Party begins to use potions to recover; Jaheira summons a Fire Elemental as fodder.

7. MINSC IS.... GONE!!
    My theory is that he got hit by a disintegrate beam from Chaos Sphere. Just gone. Nothing to resurrect.
    [[see picture]]

8. Tanova is confronted by summon fodder as she retreats into a spike room. Jan finds no traps in there, but it constantly harms Keldorn and Jaheira as they try to kill Tanova. Selyna renews Stoneskins and casts a few offensive spells and renews Limited Wish based NPP twice more. Jaheira lands the killing blow to Tanova, almost dead herself.

I risk resting to raise Aerie and heal.

Minsc is lost forever. His belongings lying on the floor (I wonder if I would have lost them, if I had Gore "on").

Dejected and heartbroken, the party heads back to surface.

The irreplaceable Minsc will have to be replaced, if I am to assail the Vampire Lair anew and rescue Imoen.

Post edited by Ygramul on
    @Ygramul: Condolences on the loss of Minsc. I remember losing Cernd to a Flesh to Stone in a no-reload a while back, and it was hard to adjust.

Sphere of Chaos has a Disintegrate effect in it, but I just tested it and that doesn't permanently kill characters, even if I remove the "Disable Permanent Death" opcode, which SCS uses to prevent chunking, via EEKeeper. Maybe Minsc got polymorphed, which reduces your current and max HP, and then took enough damage to get chunked. I think excessive level drain can cause chunking as well.

Do you have a pre-death save on hand? If you view Minsc in EEKeeper and he doesn't have "Disable Permanent Death" under the "Effects" tab, then that would be your problem. If you installed the SCS component that blocks permanent deaths, then Minsc should have had that effect active... in which case a reload would be in order.
    edited October 2015

Condolences on the loss of Minsc
    Do you have a pre-death save on hand? If you view Minsc in EEKeeper and he doesn't have "Disable Permanent Death" under the "Effects" tab, then that would be your problem. If you installed the SCS component that blocks permanent deaths, then Minsc should have had that effect active... in which case a reload would be in order.

Thanks, @semiticgod

I did in fact have the SCS option to prevent permadeath (though it does warn that it is not foolproof).

I'm afraid I already overwrote the save.
    (I usually only use one major save slot and a secondary backup for script-heavy places that run the risk of breaking something.)

I thought that disintegrate was a perma-killer. I'm surprised that it isn't.

I think this party has good chances of making to the Underdark, but it is a bit frightening if I start to loose vital party members permanently.

--

NOTE:

I'm really liking Jan and am not quite willing to part with him past Spellhold. But since I hate redundancies, I may "headcannon" Imoen to ... err... something other than a T/M. (Currently considering a F/M multi... unless it would be munchkining.)

An IWD run! Yay!

I started a Wizard Slayer-Thief run. She rolled two critical misses in a row trying to prevent a cleric from casting Hold Person, and then failed the save. I've mentioned before, but somehow forgot, that even attack rolls from fighters aren't reliable in no-reload runs.

I also started a Swashbuckler. Not Nightmare mode. Nightmare mode is kind of tedious; it would be more fun if you started at a higher level, or maybe did it with a better party than mine.

Margot is back!

I took a solo swashbuckler into ToB once, but that wasn't no-reload. I also considered a Bounty Hunter, and maybe that would have been a better idea, since I've been wanting to use Maze traps for ages now.

Now that I think about it, I should try a Bounty Hunter. But I already have stuff to report on Margot, so whatever.

Margot took down the Mephit Portals with an Oil of Speed. One really nice thing about EE is that the Radiant Mephits' Color Spray is no longer an instant death effect for solo characters in the Mephit Portal room, as you wake up on hit. This vastly simplifies solo no-reload runs of the first dungeon.

Margot used an Oil of Speed to run circles around Ilyich and his buddies, allowing her to divide the group and minimize her exposure to crossbow bolts. A Potion of Invisibility, courtesy of a Shadow Thief or Ellesime's clone, allowed her to nab the Girdle of Bluntness before an enemy mage could hit her with a potentially dangerous Chromatic Orb.

Beneath the Slums, her traps failed to hit Quallo's Carrion Crawler, as it was neutral, but this also allowed her to hide right in front of the thing, and use hit and fade tactics with a bow.

Once she got enough money to buy the Glasses of Identification, she identified the Ring of Human Influence and used it on Cohrvale.

We waited until nightfall so she could hide right after using the ring. That way, she could try again later if Cohrvale made his save.

I prepared to save Viconia by laying several traps. Turns out the fanatics really do burn her to death if you wait too long.

They also crash the game. They even crashed it when I reloaded and let her go in time. Not sure what's going on there, but it's a minor quest anyway.

Margot softened up Suna Seni and her friends with traps and finished them off with a short sword. Then, against the mage, Margot failed a save against a disabler.

She tried to slay the mage with her bow, and also her sword when the mage got close enough, but when that didn't work (we later learned the mage had Protection from Normal Missiles active), she drank another invisibility potion to wait out her disability.

On to the Docks! We use the Ring of Air Control when fighting the Mad Cleric of Cyric, and the Cowled Wizards come in to complain. Apparently the Ring of Air Control counts as a mage spell.

Margot buys the Nymph Cloak and uses it for a problem encounter.

Sanasha wastes all of her remaining spells and gets cut down quickly.

Inspired by the cloak's success, I decide to try it out on a much tougher opponent.

The nice thing about this area is that it's filled with no hostile critters. This means I can enter under the effects of Improved Invisibility, use the Nymph Cloak on Pai'Na, and if the charm fails, I can hide immediately after, rest, and return. Eventually I get control over her.

Unfortunately, I didn't come with a plan to deal with the spiders. Once Pai'Na turns hostile, the whole room floods with tiny spiders, and though my AC and save vs. death are both strong, I have no Elixirs of Health--I used to have four, from Chateau Irenicus. This means, if I do get poisoned, I'm pretty much screwed. I get two chances to cast Slow Poison, but if that fails, the spider's poison will deal 150 damage in total.

Instead, I drink another Potion of Invisibility and watch Pai'Na's Nymph, which she summoned during the charm, get devoured by the spiders. I decide to let Pai'Na go.

Thus ends Margot's run. If I'm going to do a thief run, it'll probably be a Bounty Hunter. A Swashbuckler is mostly just a Fighter/Thief clone.

An important realization is that the Nymph Cloak's charm effect lasts 12 hours. It strikes a level 8 spell and does not bypass magic resistance, and thus can be blocked by spell protections, but it uses a save vs. breath, which most mages will have difficulty resisting.
    edited October 2015
    Selyna the Dragon Disciple:

After mourning Minsc, we recruit (a rather underleveled) Haer'Dalis and clean up the Vampire Lair.

Brynnlaw and the pirates prove no match.

And here are, trapped by Irenicus and Bodhi in the Asylum labyrinth, rejoined with Imoen.

*** WARNING : "Headcannon" ahead ***

Imoen's traumatic dreams as well as the lives sapped from Shadow Thief members to crack her mind leave her mortal self altered.
    Within the dream shared with Selyna, Imoen absorbs from the essence of Sarevok/Bhaal and her very self changes irreversibly.
    When she wakes up in the labyrinth with Selyna, Imoen is a different person. No longer skulking in the shadows or worrying about stealth and subterfuge. Imoen is now an ... ARCANE WARRIOR.

[translation: Imoen will be a Fighter/Mage multiclass in my run, essentially because I want to keep Jan in the party as my thief. No stat changes will be given to Imoen, so, e.g., she's still 9 STR. Her proficiencies are being reset, but she still remembers a fondness for Short Swords.]
    Another commonality with my loss of Cernd. I also recruited Haer'dalis, and was dismayed at how underleveled he was. He'll catch up, though, in ToB.