Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit www.planescape.com to purchase and check for details. Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition Official Soundtrack is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "stage left pursued by... Tarnesh: Brel'Dana's excellent day"

YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 948
In the depths of the old bioware forums, there are arcane threads hundreds of pages long and eons old that recount the travails of countless adventurers that tried to get through the entire trilogy without reloading. There are also already several excellent threads by @semiticgod @Blackraven and many others detailing their no-reload challenges.

I suggest that we share our no-reload/trilogy attempts in a common thread. Bioware forums show that there is synergy in such combined threads that keep solidarity far beyond the attempts of single adventurers.

Here are some suggested rules for a trilogy run that I use [adjust your own to taste and announce]:

1. no-reload [otherwise, there is no point]

2. SCS
[I recommend the following setup for both BGEE/BG2EE: full AI improvements; improved encounters only without rule-changes to monsters; NO insta-buff mages -- full SCS *will* kill you, if not trimmed as such reasonably.]
(SR would be great, but it is still in beta.)

3. no "munchkining" [personal taste, of course]
a. fair rolls for stats [i.e. don't touch the +/- buttons; re-roll if you want to]
b. no meta-game abuse [e.g. using a thief to scout is fine, but don't buff up for an ambush you couldn't have known about]
c. no EEkeeper abuse [I like making my FMC human for flavor, but it is perhaps overkill to make a Dwarven Defender/Mage with +++++ in Axes...]

d. "Do unto the AI as you would have the AI do unto you."
Basically, avoid doing things that AI is incapable of.
Example: As per the discussion in the following link, I do not permit myself to use Sequencers mid combat. They are no longer an obvious first choice for a Sorcerer. (Casting 3 spells a round really breaks the balance.)

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/44257/7-3x4-8-3x6-9-3x8

4. Any party size, solo or full team. Role play strongly-encouraged (and without such a gameplay theme, I loose interest in my own runs usually).

(If you wanna skip BG and start in BG2 it's also fine. My own OCD usually requires me to start from the very beginning, but I suppose this is impractical.)

Personally, in a decade of trying, I never finished a trilogy run (although did get as far Ch. 3 in BG2). I have seen others succeed in completing, so it is surely possible.

Entries welcomed!

--

[Edit] There other excellent threads including great advice, especially also on Bioware forums. I will add links to them as they are brought up.

- The following is an advice & support thread by @Alesia_BH :
http://forum.bioware.com/topic/560248-the-adventurers-lounge-guidance-and-support-for-no-reload-challengers-newbie-or-veteran/

--

The following are the archived content from the old Bioware forum no-reload threads from @Serg_BlackStrider

Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge.

Baldur's Gate 2 No-Reload Challenge.

The Adventurer's Lounge: Guidance and Support for No Reload Challengers- Newbie or Veteran.
http://blackstrider.net/forum_bioware_arhiv/The_Lounge_Arhiv/forum.bioware.com/topic/560248-the-adventurers-lounge-guidance-and-support-for-no-reload-challengers-newbie-or-veteran/index.html

--

"Hall of Heroes"
Trilogy No-Reload Success Stories (compiled by @Arctodus and others; see below for a similar list from old Bioware forums)

(click on the spoiler tag to see list)

Ankiseth the Cavalier : @proghead3
Notable mods : none
Difficulty : Core
Start and finish (March 2014)

David the Gnome Fighter/Illusionist : @MacHurto
Notable mods : none (?)
Difficulty : Core (?)
Start (March 2014)
Finish (May 2014)

Sir Gawain the Fighter : @CharlestonianTemplar
Notable mods : HardTimes-v2; scs-v21 (- Tactical Challenges)
Difficulty : Core (?)
Start (August 2014)
Finish (November 2015)

Anselm, the Blackguard : @Gotural
Notable mods : SCS-v30 (full prebuff and encounters); Rogue Rebalancing; aTweaks
Difficulty : Core rule, must kill everything
Start (April, 2015)
Finish (January, 2016)

Grond0, the Sunsoul Monk : @Grond0
Start and Finish (March 2016)

Goibniu, the Paladin : @Enuhal
Difficulty : core
Start (August 2016)
Finish (October 2016)

Grond0, the Fighter --> Thief : @Grond0
Start and finish (October 2016)

Sodof, the Dragon Disciple : @Grond0 (and Gnoria, the Barbarian : @Gate70 )
Difficulty : core
Start (February 2017)
Finish (March 2017)

Chara the Alchemist: @semiticgod
Notable mods: "basically everything" ("SCS and Ascension including full pre-buffing and universal HLAs"; "major rule changes like Scales of Balance")

(BG1 run begins here and ends here)
(SoD run begins here and ends here)
(SoA run begins here and ends here)
(ToB run begins here and ends here)

The old Bioware Hall of Fame (from Serg_BlackStrider):
(The full list exceeds the post length limit here; see the original comment by @Serg_BlackStrider below)

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/904216#Comment_904216

List of Honorable Mentions (from Arctodus):

Thani the Wizard Slayer dwarf : @Blackraven ; solo, made it deep into ToB (SCS/Acsension)
Start
Finish

Alesia the Bounty Hunter : @Alesia_BH ; solo, failed at the final fight (SCS/Acsension)
BG1
Start
Finish
BG2
Start
Finish
Successful final battle (with reload)

Sil the human cleric of Lathander --> mage : @semiticgod ; full BG2 no reload (SCS/Acsension)
Start
Finish

Carl the (elven) Llama Sorcerer : @semiticgod ; conquest of Ust Natha (SCS on LoB difficulty)
Start
Finish

Frisky Bits the human Seducer (thief kit) : @semiticgod ; "solo", full trilogy, single reload (SCS/Acsension)
Start
Finish

Yahiko the half-elf Totemic Druid : @JuliusBorisov ; solo, full trilogy no reload, failed at the final fight (SCS/Acsension)
Start
Finish

Post edited by Ygramul on
GoturalBlackravenCrevsDaakJuliusBorisovkcwiseBelgarathMTHMusignyThe_Potty_1lolienMeanbunnymashedtatersBlind_VisionaryBorcoArctodussemiticgodSerg_BlackStrider

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 2,996
    @Ygramul, if you can't find a good tank, you might consider Viconia for that job. With a suit of Ankheg Armor and perhaps the Girdle of Piercing or Slashing, she'll be hard to kill. Actually, I remember from an old playthrough that she did better than Kagain (who had a lot more HPs).
    Khalid could be another option.

JuliusBorisovkcwiseMusigny
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 2,996
    I posted here before that I would try to help get this thread going, so here we go...

I'm going to try my hand at another party run, though I suspect that multiple NPC deaths will make some kind of impact on my enjoyment of the game. It's therefore thinkable that my new Charname ends up traveling alone at times or that I'll apply a 'three times you're out' rule re: NPC deaths.

Here Lenhardt:
    Lenhardt is a bit like how I perceive BG2 Quayle: a softspoken, friendly, caring Gnome. He likes the company of nice folk but he's not everyone's friend and will typically avoid abusive, dictatorial, negative, and evil people. Like most Gnomes Lenhardt is curious, cheerful, and cautious when facing dangerous situations. I'm likely to take a 'completionist' approach, especially if all party slots are filled most of the time, because a Cleric/Mage levels slowly.

I hope the wealth of spells will make for a fun and educational experience.
    BelgarathMTHkcwiseJuliusBorisovMusigny