Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited July 2016
    Actually, he can be killed in the battle, which can happen quite easily off screen if you lead allied troops against the enemy camp. He could also become panicked or confused and run off somewhere.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Fardragon: I know he can get killed. But he vanished before the attack on the camp, so I know that the fight isn't the reason he disappeared. Plus, he reappeared after the fight, showing that he did in fact survive.
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    @semiticgod congrats! Really impressive. Still waiting for the iPad version so I could not read anything but a no reload on the first run? Wow!
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited July 2016
    I was considering starting a new run with a new premise: I get to change one tiny detail about any one thing in the game, but I have to run in Legacy of Bhaal mode to compensate.

Unfortunately, being able to change anything was too powerful, so I forbade myself from:
    1) changing duration types (so I can't make a temporary effect permanent and stackable)
    2) changing more than a single number (so I can't jump from 1 to 1000; only from 1 to 91)
    3) improving damage at all (so I can't give Archers or Kensais +91 to damage per three levels instead of +1)

This forced me to do more creative stuff, like switching opcodes, which has the side effect of screwing up effect parameters, making certain opcodes non-functional. For instance, many spells could apply opcode 188, the Improved Alacrity opcode, but it wouldn't have a value of 1 in the second parameter, which wouldn't do anything. The only way to grant long-term Improved Alacrity was to tweak Polymorph Other and then use Polymorph Self to revert to normal form, but the former still imposed the standard 100% casting failure.

Then I found that even those restrictions weren't enough, because I could create unstoppable characters through two methods:
    1) Tweaking the SPCL814.spl file to grant immunity to opcode 12 instead of opcode 16. This allows level 5 monks to be hasted and also makes them immune to all damage.
    2) Tweaking the Goodberry spell to switch from opcode 122 to opcode 120. Instead of creating 5 Goodberries, this makes the caster immune to level 5 weapons and below.

An invincible fighter/druid or monk wouldn't make for very interesting gameplay.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    While on vavation, I've come across this bad news: good old bioware forums are closing!

http://blog.bioware.com/2016/07/29/concerning-our-forums/

Which means we'll no longer have those 600+ pages threads for no-reloaders!!! We have several weeks to copy everything, so that the community's efforts were remembered and stayed with us. Please, if anyone can do it, it would be good to copy old bioware forums into this thread (yes, it will take some time but it will worth it).

https://forum.bioware.com/topic/124374-baldurs-gate-1-no-reload-challenge/

https://forum.bioware.com/topic/124277-baldurs-gate-2-no-reload-challenge/
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059

While on vavation, I've come across this bad news: good old bioware forums are closing!

http://blog.bioware.com/2016/07/29/concerning-our-forums/

Which means we'll no longer have those 600+ pages threads for no-reloaders!!! We have several weeks to copy everything, so that the community's efforts were remembered and stayed with us. Please, if anyone can do it, it would be good to copy old bioware forums into this thread (yes, it will take some time but it will worth it).

https://forum.bioware.com/topic/124374-baldurs-gate-1-no-reload-challenge/

https://forum.bioware.com/topic/124277-baldurs-gate-2-no-reload-challenge/

Bummer!

Those threads are, in fact, the inspiration for this one as I have mentioned in my original post.

I would encourage, if a reasonable format can be found, to move the contents of both threads to here for future as well as past posts.

I'm not sure if it is sensible to copy and paste every past post here separately as a new post (we would ramp up to something like 1200 pages in a day). But perhaps posts copied as combined document files (whatever our attached file limitations per post are) can be posted.

Idea: Say, um, the BG1 thread posts from 1/1/2014 to 1/1/2015 are collated as a Word or PDF file (essentially a copy-paste job) and posted as the "BG1-2014" collection. .... and repeated so on and so forth for both threads and for all years.

This would add a few dozen posts to this thread and I can index the links to them and add them to the original post so that people can find them easily.

What are the opinions on this? Any further ideas? Let's arrive at a consensus first. Once that is done, some volunteers can "reserve" the necessary post sequentially (by posting place holders first) and begin moving the content here, if agreed.

Let us provide a home to the dedicated Bioware no-reload community here.

(P.S. Could one of the Bioware forum veterans please pass this post along as an invitation onto the two Bioware forums. Thank you.)
  • Serg_BlackStriderSerg_BlackStrider Member Posts: 210
    @Ygramul: this should work. Consider me in.
    edited July 2016

@Ygramul: this should work. Consider me in.

Appreciated, @Serg_BlackStrider
    Thank you.

Noticed that you already cross-posted my message to Bioware forums. Thanks for that as well.

Could you actually also provide a link to this thread there as well. It would help if the community there could see this thread and decide for themselves. I think we need the consensus and approval also of the Bioware forum people for this idea to work.

Thanks again for helping with a bridge.

edited July 2016

I don't know if you guys have any Multi-player no-reload runs here, but myself, Grond0 and Gate70 work on one for two hours every Saturday. I also have a duo multi-player with Gate70 (different run), will post that run here as well as BioWare forum (and will continue to do so until BioWare forums are read-only).

There were, in fact, some very interesting multi-player runs a while ago. (*checks*) Have a look, e.g., at p. 41-45 for the "Monty Pyhton Crew" adventures. Would be great to see some more of them.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • SuperNoviceSuperNovice Member Posts: 10
    edited August 2016
    Thanks for posting this Ygramul! I was just putting together an update on my latest run (after my last failed due to mod conflicts). I'll just handle that here.

Looking forward to reading more about everyone's attempts.

Edit: I should ask before posting. I'm currently playing through on the original versions of BG1/2 with some mods. The game is mostly the same as EE but does have some differences that may interfere with everyone's ability to follow the game.

Is that an issue for anyone?
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 998
    @SuperNovice - The BioWare forums used BG1, BG2, BG 1/2 EE, Dragonspear, and also BGT and EasyTutu in their no-reload runs. As long as you declare which BG you are using we had no problem. Guess I can't speak for the people here, as I am a new poster here.

Edit: I should ask before posting. I'm currently playing through on the original versions of BG1/2 with some mods. The game is mostly the same as EE but does have some differences that may interfere with everyone's ability to follow the game.

Is that an issue for anyone?

Not at all. We are all fine about making your own house rules -- the spirit of the no-reload being maintained.

It is encouraged to declare your specific setup so that people can follow the specific challenges. Some people even posted vanilla IWDEE runs. Some posted role play-heavy narratives.

Again, beyond no-reload, there are not many iron rules.
  • SuperNoviceSuperNovice Member Posts: 10
    Ygramul said:

Not at all. We are all fine about making your own house rules -- the spirit of the no-reload being maintained.

It is encouraged to declare your specific setup so that people can follow the specific challenges. Some people even posted vanilla IWDEE runs. Some posted role play-heavy narratives.

Again, beyond no-reload, there are not many iron rules.

Everything in my games is within the confines of the "official" rules. I was more concerned with the fact that I'm using the original series which is different (however slightly) from EE.

It sounds like that won't be a problem though. :smile:
    Anyone mind telling me the trick to get an image to show in a post without having the reader click a link? Thanks.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

Anyone mind telling me the trick to get an image to show in a post without having the reader click a link? Thanks.

Drag it to the comment window. It will be inserted at the cursor. It's considered bad form to post .bmp images, and if you're posting multiple images, you should put them in spoiler tags. Select the block of code that appears when you insert the picture, click on the paragraph symbol above the comment and choose "Spoiler".
    Thanks much BillyYank
  • ussnorwayussnorway Member Posts: 341
    hay Corry and others... now that Bioware is ending their forums can we post no-reloads here... are the image rules the same?
  • ussnorwayussnorway Member Posts: 341
    edited August 2016
    testing...

Post edited by ussnorway on