Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,853
    edited December 2016

Journal of Æthelberht, Inquisitor.

Oublek helped me kill a baby wyvern, but sadly died in the process.
    I then deemedmyself strong enough to face the demons in the mines. However I only found assassins:
    Mulahey, and some kobolds.
    Outside, more assassins were dealt with.

A Revenant then fell to my blade.
    Ghasts and Narcillicus Harwinger Neen then felt the edge of my sword.
    Upon returning to Nashkel, Nimbul attacked me and died.
    Afterwards Bardolan and I relaxed together. We both felt much better afterwards.
    I proceeded to the bandit camp where Brotus Bloodthirsty was the first to fall.

He had some useful equipment. :)
    I managed to fight Taurgosz Khosann by himself, which made life easier than otherwise would have been the case.
    The leaders inside the tent were no problem.
    I then killed Deke and his cohorts.
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
    edited December 2016

Tristan and Isolde tried to kill me, but I returned the compliment and succeeded where they failed.
    Necardian did the same with the same result.
    Upon facing his cohorts, I must admit that I panicked, fortunately late in the battle.
    As a result of my panic, it was not just Phallen Nightsbane that was out to kill me. Wolves were too! However the spell ran its course and I at last prevailed.

In Cloakwood I killed some hostile druids who were taking their job too seriously.
    A bit further on, other druids wanted me to kill a dragon which I did.
    I also killed Centeol and his accomplices. Miranda the witch then attacked me along with her pet bears. All died as did her druid allies.
    In transit, I killed some wyvern as well as some in a cave.
    Finally I reached the Cloakwood mines and took on some powerful enemies. I prevailed.
    As I penetraded the mine, I killed Hareishan and those guarding her.

Natasha met the same fate.
    Later, I killed an ogre/mage despite being confused.
    Further down, I got into conflict with Dark Silvia and Morgan, both of whom ended up dead.
    Eventually I managed to kill Davaeorn.
    Others were also killed without much difficulty. On the way out of the mines Wendall also attacked and I was forced to kill him too.

edited December 2016

I went to Candlekeep and ended up in a secret area where I killed Pratt and co., some medusae, and Diarmid before I escaped.
    I returned to the Iron Throne but ended up getting confused. Despite that I was still able to kill Ughh. I then waited for the spell to wear off before killing Cythandra.
    I then went in search of Slythe and Krystin and was successful.
    At the Ducal palace, I healed Belt to ensure that he survived. Shortly afterwards Sarevok fled.
    South of the FAI, I met Davenport who I killed.
    I then had to kill his allies.

I then raided the Section HQ in Beregost.

I then went after Sarevok:

Getting through to the Ducal palace again was then not too difficult. Now in Dragonspear. As you can see, I have picked up some friends. I still need a cleric though.

@sluckers Just because a run is short, it doesn't make it less interesting. Interesting things happen in a short run.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Congratulations @sluckers with your first no-reload success. Able Fox is a cool character, and able, and foxy too (judging by the portrait) :wink: Best of luck with her in her future endeavours.
    @sluckers Well done. :)
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    edited December 2016
    Just quickly... Completed thief and druid quests, though we were lucky that no party members were petrified by the genies. Doing minor quests and poking at mod content for now, may decide to take on the Shadow Dragon to get some anti-vampire armour (in item revisions). After some thought Anomen took the LG path, I suspect that Whitworth thinks of himself as a hero even as he's summarily executing people Vhailor-style...

Congrats Able. Hope to see you in Amn soon!
    edited December 2016

I decided to call it a day with this run due to the fact that upon arriving in Dragonspear, Æthelberht had 1,000,000 experience which I thought way too overpowered. I have therefore reinstalled the Drizzt Saga leaving in the level cap and have started another run this time a Cavalier. I expect that experience will now freeze upon reaching 161,000. I came across a Crusader Image which at first I thought generic, but upon studying the shield realised that it had the "De Montfort" crest and so assume that it was meant to depict Simon De Montfort, though there are a number of De Montforts that it could represent. A number of them were Crusaders, though not all went East. Simon for example fought in France against the Cathars before returning to England where he ruled for a year.
    I decided therefore to give my character the name, "Simon de Montfort". He is a Cavalier.

Journal of Simon De Montfort, Cavalier.

After being badly hurt by Mendas,
    Simon fled to the other side of the room, healed himself, and ran around the chests, returning to the corner of the room where he was surrounded by rats. Mendas was unable to wound him due to his sword not being long enough. Simon was however due to his different weaponry able to hurt Mendas and slowly but surely killed him. This tactic worked so well that other incarnations of Mendas might be met with the same tactic, only as a deliberate plan. I will however ring the changes to prevent boredom.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited December 2016
    Naisharel

prev: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/833461/#Comment_833461
    next: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/838050/#Comment_838050

I decided to get more XP, and my best idea was cleaning the outside of the Nashkel Mines, which included killing Greywolf. He had an Oli of Speed, so I walked to the border while he stuttered trying to attack me, and I travelled back and forth to the Cloudpeaks, so that the Oil of Speed would wear off. I killed him with almost purely arrows, but I also set a Thief trap when I lost sight of him. The kobolds around the area proved to be nothing but free XP and arrows.
    Back in Nashkel, I relised I hadn't used all of my Mage spellslots, so I memorized Blindness, and used it over Neira. I had to bait her out of her Sanctuary by getting very close to her and then leaving when she started casting spells.

I robbed the Mansion in Nashkel as well, only found a couple of scrolls (had to sell two of them, learnt the other one), a Potion of Invisibility and some gold, besides, I got caught and had to pay (I didn't remember you could lmfao).
    I cleared all of the Western Cloudpeaks, got the Demon-kid his dog and killed a bunch of Wolves as well. Later I went to Beregost, and accidentally lowered my Rep by killing Zhurlong... I was sure he didn't lower your Rep, maybe it is only if you kill him before finishing the Quest? Doesn't matter, I donated 950 gold and I was already back at 10 Rep (I had 11 previously but as far as it is over ten, I don't care much...).

I sold some stuff at High Hedge, couldn't sell some stuff (namely around 5 potions I can't even use) but well, I bought Fear, Mirror Image, PW:Sleep and I think a level 3 scroll as well, forgot which one but it was probably Hold Person or Skull Trap. I tried to sleep to end the session, but got awakened by a Skeleton. Doesn't matter, I picked up his skull and went for Melicamp.
    On my journey for the almighty talking chicken of Doom, I got ambushed by Mr. Lesser Basilisk and his Worgang, but our glorious retreat was victorious and no harm was done to us! Yay!
    MELICAMP LIVES !
    I wasn't expecting this, but hell yeah, 2k XP and +1 Rep? I love this quest sometimes (only when Melicamp lives).
    I'm looking forward to getting level 4 as a Mage and a better weapon before I do anything else. I'm aiming towards doing all the quests in the Sword Coast before getting into Dungeons, so I am putting my thieving skills on Stealth and Set Traps instead of Find Traps (I already maxed Open Locks). Also, I'm going for the 5 pips in Long Bow. In BG2 I'm going to use the Mana Bow +4 because of the Magic Damage resistance it gives (if I get going so far...).
    Post edited by CrevsDaak on
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,317
    CrevsDaak said:

Later I went to Beregost, and accidentally lowered my Rep by killing Zhurlong... I was sure he didn't lower your Rep, maybe it is only if you kill him before finishing the Quest?

I've certainly killed him after completing the quest without it affecting reputation, although mods might affect that as well.
    Grond0 said:

CrevsDaak said:

Later I went to Beregost, and accidentally lowered my Rep by killing Zhurlong... I was sure he didn't lower your Rep, maybe it is only if you kill him before finishing the Quest?

I've certainly killed him after completing the quest without it affecting reputation, although mods might affect that as well.
    This is what the omniscient authority figure called Wiki says:
    http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Zhurlong
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    In vanilla his death provides no reputation hit. Probably an ee thing.
    lroumen said:

In vanilla his death provides no reputation hit. Probably an ee thing.

I'm playing in a giant BGT install, and the last time I played anything vanilla was about 2 years ago, and the last times I played with this install I didn't kill Zhurlong.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Ah I see.
    There are mods that change npcs from whatever they are in vanilla to innocent, after which a death is a reputation hit. Could be you are facing that.
    @CrevsDaak If you don't like the reputation hit, then the magic of Shadowkeeper might be required. Make him evil or whatever. He clearly is not good or innocent considering his actions.

@CrevsDaak If you don't like the reputation hit, then the magic of Shadowkeeper might be required. Make him evil or whatever. He clearly is not good or innocent considering his actions.

I'm not too worried about reputation—well, at least not when I'm playing a Wizard Slayer. I'm going to change it as well, anyway.

@CrevsDaak It could be a problem playing a paladin. In my games I just never talk to him. I refuse to talk to such riff raff.