Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,853

@Enuhal Congratulations

• ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    edited January 2017

There is no "wizard chess" with Pierce Shield. I've suggested @Demivrgvs nerf it, but he's pointed out that it's a level 8 spell with a very long casting time, and deserves to be rather powerful.

Your run is so informative about SR. I'm using it, but I'm not where I have access to 8th level spells yet.

What are your thoughts on SR's Pierce Shield ? Is it too strong or is it a good nerf to arcane defenses ? From what I can gather from your run, it does seems to be a "trump card" that allow to take down mages fast, moreso when you take into account that enemies never use it, like you said earlier.
    Post edited by Arctodus on
    edited January 2017

Journal of Simon de Montfort

At the Troll Claw Woods we were given a task to get some ale for the irregulars.
    We already had some from Baldur's Gate but though it has the right name, it doesn't work for the quest. You have to steal some from Caelar's camp. Obviously a coding issue. There was some for sale elsewhere in SoD but I didn't buy any more as I already had some. I don't know if that ale will work for the quest though. The game should really make it clear that the ale from Baldur's Gate doesn't work.

On the way to get the ale we helped a green dragon and were suitably rewarded. In the camp we also "Aquired" some other goods, but nothing of significance. (It might have been if we hadn't already completed BG1) Spoiler regarding Dorn's equipment below.
    There was a sword for Dorn, but he isn't part of our party.

Obviously, given the name of the woods, we killed a lot of trolls. Dynaheirs minute meteors were very useful for finishing the trolls off. :)
    Mantis37 said:

Sad news as Whitworth bites it at the gates of Ust Natha.

:'(
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 998
    @Wise_Grimwald Sorry to hear that. If I am a small party (or solo), I like to wait until I get the boots of grounding from Mulahey plus Shield Amulet to stop magic missiles - she's much safer to take on that way. She's a high level bard - not much HP, but as a high level bard spells can be dangerous.

@Wise_Grimwald Sorry to hear that. If I am a small party (or solo), I like to wait until I get the boots of grounding from Mulahey plus Shield Amulet to stop magic missiles - she's much safer to take on that way. She's a high level bard - not much HP, but as a high level bard spells can be dangerous.

I agree. I usually get away with it, as I charm the people that she wants me to kill and her lightning strike kills both them and herself. I thus get their potions. However this time she killed both of the charmed characters with one blast (she usually only kills one and if she is still alive kills the second one with the second blast) and on this occasion she survived.
  • DemivrgvsDemivrgvs Member Posts: 315
    @semiticgod quoting myself from our private messages "Pierce Shield sheer power is intended because it's an 8th lvl spell. I guess I could find a workaround to make its breach part not byapss spell protections (casting a sub-spell after the main one) but then this spell would be a very expensive Secret Word + Breach with an extremely long casting time".

When you said it bypassed spell protections I assumed you were talking about standard ones, not Spell Shield. As @Aasim says, SS is supposed to block Pierce Shield just like any other spell removal and if it doesn't than I need to fix it.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Demivrgvs: I just tested it using a sorcerer and a simulacrum. I think re-installing the mod fixed something, but I'm not sure the behavior is fully intended.

Dispelling Screen blocks an infinite number of Breach spells, but only one Dispel Magic, and Pierce Shield ignores it.

Spell Shield blocks an infinite number of Breach spells and Pierce Shield spells.
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    edited January 2017

@Demivrgvs: I just tested it using a sorcerer and a simulacrum. I think re-installing the mod fixed something, but I'm not sure the behavior is fully intended.

Dispelling Screen blocks an infinite number of Breach spells, but only one Dispel Magic, and Pierce Shield ignores it.

Spell Shield blocks an infinite number of Breach spells and Pierce Shield spells.

Ok, Demi inforemed me of this and I checked it out. My findings:
    Indeed; Spell Shield stops Breach. This is an oversight on my account, will fix it (quickfix - open spwi519, delete 206 against spwi513b). However, Breach removes Dispel Screen 100% of time.
    Pierce Shield indeed ignores Dispel Screen (will fix, but this is a very minor bug - max level for removal needs to be set to 9, right now it's 0...).
    Spell Shield blocks 1 single Pierce Shield and is removed by it however, as intended.

I should join with a run here.....hopefully today...
  • RatatoskrRatatoskr Member Posts: 711
    @semiticgod I've read quite a few of your runs here and you end up with the most fascinating combinations. Reading this thread honestly makes me feel like I don't understand Baldur's Gate at all (or at least am a rank amateur in terms of spell-casting).

Case in point, the one question that has been bugging me for a while is: How do you know when your aura is clear?
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 998

@semiticgod I've read quite a few of your runs here and you end up with the most fascinating combinations. Reading this thread honestly makes me feel like I don't understand Baldur's Gate at all (or at least am a rank amateur in terms of spell-casting).

Case in point, the one question that has been bugging me for a while is: How do you know when your aura is clear?

A round is every six seconds. Once you do an action (use a potion, spell, item, etc.) you'll have to wait 6 seconds to do another action. Which is why for soloers, you might see them gulp a heal potion, run around for 6 seconds then try to gulp another one. If they try to do it earlier, they will just stand there and get hit. And of course, the reverse is true - if you haven't done any actions for more than 6 seconds, then your aura should be clear.
  • RatatoskrRatatoskr Member Posts: 711
    edited January 2017
    So it's just a matter of actually having an accurate sense of time? In which case, I'm doomed :)

Although, hey, I get to be the title of this thread for a while. I'll take that happily.
    Post edited by Ratatoskr on
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 591

You may try using Autopause:Round End option.