Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I don't know how we're going to deal with Davaeorn. A single Sunfire or Cone of Cold or even a Fireball could wipe out multiple party members. Protection from Fire isn't a level 3 spell in SR; it's level 5 for priests and level 4 for mages, and there's precious little reason to pick it anytime soon for Baeloth; we won't face another source of fire damage for quite some time. The only way I can think of to avoid losing precious party members is to use some disposable NPCs like Rasaad or Xzar, or trying to paralyze Davaeorn with Tiax's ghast.
    Wise_Grimwald
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    edited December 2017
    @semiticgod With a priest of high enough level (around 7 or better 8), there's a real possibility of one-shotting Davaeorn with Cause Critical Wound. That's what I did with my team with Miluiel. You can see it here. SR really boost the damage done by these spells, and Davaeorn only has 45hp, so it's totally possible to do it that way. It's not a foolproof strat though.

If that goes wrong, you could also cast Invisibility Sphere, hide somewhere far from Davaeorn and wait for all his guards to gather around him. They will completely hinder his movement, because their script requires them to stay close to him at all time. You could then throw fireballs from afar to thin their number and finish Davey (whose buffs would have exhausted at that point) in a various way, such as with traps set far away, attacks from invisibility, etc... You probably still have to kill the two Battle Horrors, because they won't follow Davey around everywhere, but if Davey is stucked behind his own men, they don't pose such a threat. This strat has a higher percentage of success in my opinion, it just makes the fight last longer.
    semiticgoddessStummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisovlolien
    @Wise_Grimwald: I'd need another 80,000 XP per party member to get my Shaman to level 4 so we could cast Call Woodland Beings (druids get it at 35,000 XP; Shamans get it at 90,000 XP), so the only charm spells we could use would be those of our own party, which means Davaeorn would start his attack dialogue.

But testing has found that there may be a way to get around that:

1. Recruit Safana.
    2. Bring Safana to the Cloakwood mines and drop her off in Davaeorn's lair, booting her from the party.
    3. Recruit Xan and use him to charm Safana.
    4. Approach Davaeorn while invisible and order Safana to charm him. This is a melee-range charm spell, so we'd have to take down the Battle Horrors first.
    5. If Safana fails, we'd have to pull her back, let the charm wear off so she turns hostile, then charm her again so we can bring her into the party and rest her to get her own charm spell back, at which point we can try again.
    6. When Safana finally succeeds, Davaeorn will be charmed for 100 seconds, enough time for us to empty his spellbook of the most important spells.

The only problem is how to get rid of those Battle Horrors. I might do a test run to see if Davaeorn turns hostile when the Battle Horrors engage in combat, which I think I've seen happen before. But if I can lure them away from him, we should be able to use Xan to charm Safana so Safana can charm Davaeorn so we can empty his spellbook.

Or, now that I've done some further testing, I could just recruit Faldorn. Frisk has enough XP that Faldorn starts at 32,000, which is just shy of the 35,000 she needs to summon a hamadryad to charm Davaeorn, which could be done at range.

It's actually kind of a shame. The Xan+Safana option's only advantage is that it's not level-dependent. But it's a lot more complex and cool than just getting a level 6 Faldorn for free.

I think one of the best options for an SR poverty run might just be to start out solo and then recruit higher-level companions like Baeloth and Faldorn. In an EET install, you could create five custom level one characters who are designed to excel in BG2, and then just park them in a room somewhere until you escape Chateau Irenicus. Baeloth is a fabulous option in BG1 and Corwin, when paired with SR's Enchanted Weapon and the +3 weapons it can summon, is a fabulous option in SoD, and there's really no point in investing XP in a party of custom characters if you have better choices all the way through the first two games.

BG2 is another story. There are good NPCs for a poverty run in SoA, including Jaheira and Wilson, but you just don't get enough arcane spell power, what with the complete lack of PFMW spells among NPC mages.
    StummvonBordwehrWise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisovlolien
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    @Arctodus Well done and hard luck.
    ArctodusJuliusBorisov
    I've just added my poverty run and @Enuhal's run with Arbogast to the Hall of Heroes. It'll ease up the pressure on @Ygramul, anyway.

@Neverused: Could you send me the text of your entry to the Hall?
    ArctodusJuliusBorisovlolien
    Also added @Neverused.
    JuliusBorisovArctodusGrond0lolien
    Testing confirmed it. Only when the main character hits Shoal with a crushing attack will she resurrect any party members. Fists count for this purpose, so it's not class-dependent. All you have to do is land a single hit.
    Wise_GrimwaldStummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisovlolien
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    I'll have to do some testing with my set-up as I have had much the same results as Corey.
    Corey_RussellSerg_BlackStriderJuliusBorisov
  • FlamedanceFlamedance Member Posts: 12
    semiticgod
    December 18
    @Grond0: When is Shoal supposed to resurrect the party member she kills?

I've never played EE, but in vanilla BG you need to hit her in melee or the dialogue won't trigger. Weapon type doesn't matter. Theoretically it might work if you fire arrows at het while one character is within melee range, but that never triggered the dialogue for me.
    StummvonBordwehrPokota