Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    semiticgod wrote: »
    @Aasim: Enabling 3E-style sneak attacks should mean all characters can make backstabs/sneak attacks just by being behind their target; they need not be invisible. But, since enemy backstabbers can backstab from any direction, since they lack the AI to position themselves to strike from the back, the game doesn't check to see if they're behind their target. The net result is that enemy thieves will backstab with every hit, since the game neither checks to see if they're invisible (as it normally would with 3E-style sneak attacks), nor does it check to see if they're behind their target (which IE games never have), before allowing them a backstab.

You see the same thing with enemy thieves in IWD2. All of their melee attacks are sneak attacks.

Oh my... Well, that's just some next level sh*t, tbh.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857
    edited April 2019
    Bladeservant went to take on Droth. The lightning bolt of Droth killed Aura and all but killed Valerie. I must keep the party more spread out in future! After killing Droth and Shoal, Bladeservant, Vynd and Valerie levelled up. 600gp to raise Aura! :(
    ljri8pnhtfyf.jpg
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Truly terrible luck, @Aasim. Might Jethro have been using a ranged weapon? Invisible Stalkers do 2d8 base damage plus 3 from STR, so presumably they could only deal 19 damage per hit at most without extra modifiers on top.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    Hard luck Aasim. It'll be interesting to try that mod sometime, though the combo of SCS + more powerful enemies looks pretty tricky!

With regard to AI thieves ignoring the backstab requisites there was a mod for vanilla BG2 called Bigg's Tweaks that let party members ignore the requirements for backstabbing as well, which was rather nice and saved on micromanagement (some other good things like mages dropping spellbooks as well). Not sure if that works with EE though.

I did start a new run on SCS v32 with Elmonster, a half-orc shaman who preferred to travel with other 'monsters' like Korax & Verr'sza. The events of the run were exciting - near TPK vs Mulahey, battling through endless gnolls at the fortress- but Shaman gameplay with my mods felt somewhat lacklustre. Dance, heal, repeat. So for now he's on the backburner while the lovely Siercal, an enchantress, travels the realms.
    edited April 2019
    Truly terrible luck, @Aasim. Might Jethro have been using a ranged weapon? Invisible Stalkers do 2d8 base damage plus 3 from STR, so presumably they could only deal 19 damage per hit at most without extra modifiers on top.

No, there was no ranged wpn equiped. Strenght bonus to damage in 3ed is calculated as +1 for every 2 points above 10.
    With 18 strenght, 2d8 weapon, 20 is the maximum they can hit (16+4). Just a (very) bad luck streak. I only wish it happened sooner so I don't spend all that time playing in vain :)
    I didn't know their wpns do that big damage until now.
    Mantis37 wrote: »
    Hard luck Aasim. It'll be interesting to try that mod sometime, though the combo of SCS + more powerful enemies looks pretty tricky!

With regard to AI thieves ignoring the backstab requisites there was a mod for vanilla BG2 called Bigg's Tweaks that let party members ignore the requirements for backstabbing as well, which was rather nice and saved on micromanagement (some other good things like mages dropping spellbooks as well). Not sure if that works with EE though.

This mod + SCS (if you don't tweak it a bit) is actually even harder than what I'm playing. I took away natural "crit on 20" so only enemies with pips in weapon styles can crit (and not all weapon styles - only 2 weapon style and single weapon give this, with 2-handers/range weapons/shield crit is impossible - albeit same rule applies to my party as well).
    If not, the only viable way to play in BG1 is kiting + range, which I don't like. Also, due to algorithm used on 3ed mod, enemies are beefed up further depending on level. So it only gets harder - up to the point where each enemy gains +8 AC, +2 apr, 30% extra HP, +3 to saves and (if I read the code correcty + 10 (or 15) to THAC0. So you can imagine what ToB must feel like :) . Not all is bad - you do get more power as well.
    As per thieves and backstab, yea, I remember BiggTweaks, I don't know if such a mod exists for EE. If I were playing a backstabber, I'd definitely give him "backstab every hit" ability. If *all* enemies can, I don't see why a different rule would apply to my party.
  • CharlestonianTemplarCharlestonianTemplar Member Posts: 855
    Anyone have any idea what's going on here?

I'm trying to beat on Sarevok in the Ducal, but my PC keeps dying untouched.

I've checked the logs, nothing's happening, he just keeps dying just as we turn all our attention on Sarevok after destroying the Greater Doppelgangers. I've reloaded twice and each time I get the same result.

kuehjzf1wzrc.png
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    @CharlestonianTemplar It looks from the screenshot like you let both the Grand Dukes die, which is an instant game over.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    Remember at this moment in time Sarevok is in the process of taking power in Baldur's Gate. Accusing him of wrongdoing without evidence results in summary execution - and the same applies if you accuse him with evidence, but without any dukes left who can consider that.
    Related to CKT's above issue - in my game the female mage (Liia?) can't die at all. She goes invisible at first sign of trouble, maybe even teleports out, can't remember - making the battle pretty much impossible to loose, unless you do something really stupid. Is this behavior changed in latest patch? I'm sure she died to Sarevok cca 70% of time before.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857
    edited April 2019
    Aasim wrote: »
    Related to CKT's above issue - in my game the female mage (Liia?) can't die at all. She goes invisible at first sign of trouble, maybe even teleports out, can't remember - making the battle pretty much impossible to loose, unless you do something really stupid. Is this behavior changed in latest patch? I'm sure she died to Sarevok cca 70% of time before.

That has never happened in my games. Perhaps a mod effect?

Bladesinger decided the time was right to take on the Nashkel Mines. It was quite straightforward, more so than usual. The Duergers were the only real problem and web sorted that problem out. Xan joined the party at that stage.

Upon leaving we took on the caves with no problems but nothing that we did seemed to hurt the oozes summoned by the mage in the south-east. We therefore ran. Xan got poisoned, so we had to use a potion.

He then headed to the west ending up at the gnoll stronghold. He was attacked by assassins and others but prevailed against them. Now back at Beregost where Elminster gave some advice as to where to go next. Bladesinger however has some other unfinished business to deal with first.
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
    Grond0 wrote: »
    Remember at this moment in time Sarevok is in the process of taking power in Baldur's Gate. Accusing him of wrongdoing without evidence results in summary execution - and the same applies if you accuse him with evidence, but without any dukes left who can consider that.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I figured it out. I leave the game on for long hours, because I'm a grad student and I sneak a break and 'play when I can,' sometimes five minutes here and five minutes there.

I don't know what the difference was, but I shut it down overnight and this morning I played it right out. Last night after school, I wasn't getting the dialogue to turn over the documents to Belt.

Anyway, Sarevok is on the run. I feel a little guilty but don't feel that was a player mistake that I could have done anything about. If he'd been killed by a monster or a trap, because I was careless, I'd be done.

Unless someone feels it is outside of the playthrough rules, I'd like to keep playing Silas and providing updates here. CT
    @CharlestonianTemplar: It's not a bug-related death, so normally we wouldn't play past it. I've lost a run or two at the Ducal Palace as well, though that was due to Belt and Liia Jannath's deaths rather than a dialogue error. It's especially rough to lose a run to a dialogue choice, of all things.

You need to have Sarevok's diary or Sarevok's letter to Slythe in your inventory in order to convince Belt of Sarevok's guilt. Without one of those two items, SCRL2K.itm or SCRL3F.itm, you don't get the dialog option you need to beat the game.
    @CharlestonianTemplar: It's not a bug-related death, so normally we wouldn't play past it. I've lost a run or two at the Ducal Palace as well, though that was due to Belt and Liia Jannath's deaths rather than a dialogue error. It's especially rough to lose a run to a dialogue choice, of all things.

You need to have Sarevok's diary or Sarevok's letter to Slythe in your inventory in order to convince Belt of Sarevok's guilt. Without one of those two items, SCRL2K.itm or SCRL3F.itm, you don't get the dialog option you need to beat the game.

Thanks, yeah, I had all of that stuff and when I played it this AM, it triggered. The dialogue just didn't come up last night. Kind of a cheesy way to die, but I'll give him up.
    Sad to see another promising Charname fall to politics. Good luck on your next run, @CharlestonianTemplar!
    Silas and party destroyed Sarevok at the temple. Even though I am not playing him here anymore, I want to see how he does in SOA/TOB. What's the easiest way to save him (and Imoen) and move them over to BGII? I'm using BGEE and BGEE2. Thanks, CT