Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,853
    edited December 2020
    Meanwhile Halba and Helmud are setting off from Candlekeep.
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318
    Biff {41} - melee sorcerer (update 2)
    Previous updates:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1158154/#Comment_1158154

Just wandering through areas picking on the odd victim, Biff got hit by a critical for the first time - pulling a rapid disappearing act saved him from the possibility that Malkax would switch back to arrows and shoot him down.
    afkop04u7pao.jpg
    In most cases though enemies had no distance attacks, so there was no real danger when attacking from invisibility - and with the 5 round paralyzation inflicted by ghoul touch, even targets with quite high HPs like Greywolf stood little chance once affected.
    n7fojrwo1he1.jpg

During this period I noted my inventory was full at one stage and went to find Neera to increase my bag collection - it was a good job though that I didn't have items destroyed by chunking active.
    degz7xue4txm.jpg

Zal was a potential problem with his missiles and he hit Biff once before he could scurry out of sight. However, after resting it didn't take long to get revenge.
    co44dpfjtx79.jpg
    Soon after that, Biff had finished clearing all the main encounters in the Cloud Peak Mountains and returned to Nashkel. He dealt with Neira there, with his new MSD blocking rigid thinking, before a couple of invisibilities stymied hold persons and his final attempt at paralysis worked.

With reputation up at 20, it was time to make some purchases with the help of a friends scroll (purchased after using invisible attacks to kill the golems at High Hedge).
    z7qyc2sdy741.jpg
    An archmage's cloak, Claw of Kazgaroth and various scrolls and potions used up my liquid resources.

Looking for more things to sell, Biff went to find Meilum (though the best of his treasure was kept rather than sold). He saved at least a dozen times against paralysis, but that just meant he was quicker to get finished off when he finally was affected.
    azvtkn3es5yp.jpg
    Similarly an ogre with a belt fetish provided some more equipment to wear before robbing an ankheg nest did yield some items to sell (the ankhegs themselves could easily kill Biff with a critical if he wasn't careful and they were just left alone).
    rbfr3kcwn3hw.jpg

Selling the ring of wizardry and a few gems I'd kept back before generated enough for the greenstone amulet, +3 staff and invisibility ring from Ulgoth's Beard.

Deciding it was time to let his cat out of the bag, Biff went to Durlag's Tower where his new staff bludgeoned a first battle horror to death to get him to level 7, with 5 more HPs.
    iy07riz2fgfe.jpg
    Inside, MSD let him loot the tome, while more invisible blocking sorted out Riggilo after he inherited a lock of hair. Invisible attacks on a ghast made passage easier onto the roof, where a first use of haste quickly provided another level, though only a woeful 3 HPs this time.
    daqa0sqas7xw.jpg
    Now with stoneskin, staying in melee with powerful melee opponents becomes a viable proposition.

I was planning for Biff to just attack Shoal, but it appeared he was not invisible when I thought he was and he suffered a near-fatal kiss when she suddenly turned on him. After getting away and resting to heal up, Biff gave Shoal a taste of her own touch-based medicine.
    mm2ihskz4563.jpg

Biff will be moving on to the Nashkel Mine next.

Sorcerer L8, 40 HPs (incl. 6 from familiar), 92 kills

Level 2 spells
    Blur
    Both the AC bonus and the adjustment to saving throws should be useful.
    Ghoul touch
    Works in the same way as chill touch, but requires a save vs spell to prevent being paralyzed for 5 rounds.
    Invisibility
    Allows both safe travel and free hits on most opponents.
    Luck
    The short duration of this spell makes it far less attractive, but it can still be helpful in both attack and defense, so I thought I would give it a spin. One particular benefit, if you're short of stoneskins, is that even one positive luck ensures that an enemy always attacks a mirror image and not the real mage.
    Mirror image
    In addition to making larger scale battles safer, this will help against some types of traps.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    Grond0 wrote: »
    During this period I noted my inventory was full at one stage and went to find Neera to increase my bag collection - it was a good job though that I didn't have items destroyed by chunking active.
    It wouldn't have mattered. All bags are flagged as critical items, so they can never be destroyed by chunking. The only way to lose one is to leave it behind on a map you can't come back to.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318
    Biff {41} - melee sorcerer (update 3)
    Previous updates:
    Biff wandered through the Nashkel Mine mainly invisibly, though he did buff up to deal with a pair of spiders.
    vh47rli75zgm.jpg
    For Mulahey, Biff lured him over to the door to allow a retreat if necessary. However, he was paralyzed even before he finished his first spell (rigid thinking, which would have been stopped by MSD if necessary).
    2aesnosny9h2.jpg

Outside the mine, the Amazons were pulled away individually. Zeela's cleric spells were wasted using invisibility before Lamalha failed to survive an initial attack.
    mjvppax9jcb7.jpg

In Nashkel, Biff used a strength scroll to return Joseph's ring before buffing up for Nimbul. Rather as I expected, an initial greeting tap on the shoulder saw him run in terror - but he didn't get far.
    nmo8kiyv0xi7.jpg

Moving on to Beregost, Biff checked in with Officer Vai and shared paralysis around on a roomful of spiders.
    9i5ojxywm9oc.jpg
    The main objective though was to find Tranzig. His spells bounced off shield and MSD and his pleas for mercy were of no avail.

Rather than go straight to the Bandit Camp, Biff headed for the Lighthouse. With stoneskins and MSD, the sirines were not much trouble - he just had to avoid getting attacked in melee by them with the usual help of ghoul touch and invisibility. Note that, while ghoul touch is active, Biff's attacks all tend to be non-lethal. One difference with chill touch is that the latter consistently allows the extra attack with an off-hand weapon to do normal damage (there's also the possibility of deadly cold damage with the main hand). Where speed is important therefore, such as if other enemies are in the vicinity, casting chill touch over ghoul touch is a way of finishing off paralyzed enemies more quickly.
    a9kpg4ow701k.jpg

With stoneskins available, I didn't bother using invisible attacks against the golems.
    fuvxkm49u866.jpg
    The tome there counter-acted the constitution drop from using the Claw to give Biff back some missing HPs. I also kept hold of Relair's Cloak for a bit, which allows an additional attack in wolf form. You can't then cast, but pre-casting haste would push total APR up to 4 a round. I thought that using minor sequencer to cast ghoul touch would dispel the wolf shape and confirmed that later.

Another overdue encounter waited back at the basilisk area. An initial feint drew away Peter and Baerin, leaving the casters a bit exposed to provide Biff with his final BGEE level and 6 more HPs.
    ps6mn9wtfnlo.jpg
    The same sort of thing then happened to the others. In order to experiment I took minor sequencer to confirm you can't dispel just the weapon from a polymorphed shape in the way you once could.

At the Bandit Camp, the bandit archers needed criticals to hit against shield and boots and failed to cause any trouble. Taurgosz was paralysed by the first attack on him.
    sma0t7dd6s6w.jpg
    In Tazok's tent, Venkt stubbornly saved against paralysis and Biff had to run to avoid his horror spell. The others all followed him outside though and fell victim to the ghoulies. Back inside, MSD could protect against all Venkt's remaining spells, while he was beaten up.
    az3blx26syi5.jpg

With finances looking a bit healthier again, Biff swapped out his standard +2 dagger in the offhand for the Dagger of Venom. In the Cloakwood, he used invisibility to get past the web traps in the second area, but did try his new dagger out for size on a bear a bit further along.
    uw0vkpxzf44m.jpg

At the mine, Biff stuck with quarterstaff for an initial attack on Kysus - hoping (successfully) to kill him with straight damage before he could buff. Drasus and Genthore followed him away, leaving Rezdan exposed at the rear. Genthore was then drawn away and lost out in a straight melee contest. Despite being badly fatigued, Biff didn't rest, but used his final available ghoul touch to have a go at Drasus - and struck lucky.
    6c8bqhy9pl56.jpg

Inside the mine, Biff used invisibility to avoid most combats. He did though once more tell his cat to lie down in a strategic position to deal with the initial guard and the battle horrors on the bottom level.
    w81a0tcp51dk.jpg
    With the cat once more safely bagged, Biff rested before tackling Davaeorn. He dodged a lightning bolt, was immune to a fireball thanks to PfF and used invisibility to escape attempted charm and hold spells. I thought Davaeorn might try calling for help from summons, but he foolishly tried to mix it in melee - playing into Biff's strengths.
    zf1686c9h3ef.jpg

With the mine flooded behind him, Biff is about to enter Baldur's Gate.

Sorcerer L9, 54 HPs (incl. 6 from familiar), 174 kills

Level 3 spells
    Minor spell deflection
    Protects against single target spells (and similar traps).
    Haste
    While improved haste would do the job, that's some way off. In the meantime the additional attack and the initiative bonus are both helpful.
    Protection from cold
    Not much use early on, but comes into its own later in BG2EE.
    Protection from fire
    Does what it says on the tin.
    Remove magic
    Potential way to strip enemy defenses quickly.
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    I’m going to give this a go with a berserker dualled to mage. I’m not sure if I should dual at 9 or 13, but I’m thinking 9 is safer.

I’m also not sure what the best weapon set up is.

On one hand, I think going for dual wielding scimitars and flails is a great set up, especially if you take Drizzt’s scimitars to breeze through the first game, part of me thinks you do most of your damage as a mage anyway, so while it doesn’t matter, why not just focus on scimitar since you can grab Usuno’s Blade +4 pretty much whenever you want, and that’ll be enough, especially when dualled with Belm in the offhand.
    edited December 2020
    Journal of Halba and Helmud

Unlike Michaela they are not generous, though they are honest.

They follow the Yorkshireman's motto:

“Ear all, see all, say nowt;
    Eyt all, sup all, pay nowt;
    And if ivver tha does owt fer nowt -
    Allus do it fer thissen”

For the benefit of those who don't know the Yorkshire dialect this means:

Hear everything, see everything, say nothing.
    Eat everything, drink everything, pay nothing.
    And if you do anything for nothing, always do it for yourself.

[There is a saying about Yorkshiremen that they are like the Scots only not quite so generous. Both stereotypes being completely false]

However these two being honest will return Joia's ring, but being stingy would not give Farmer Brun 100 gp to get him back on his feet.

Details here:

5qle2t7tciey.jpg
    6c5i8hmh03gq.jpg
    yccehngqpvgh.jpg
    m6gmoo7dj834.jpg

They have returned Joia's ring and Tenya's Bowl and killed the ankheg near Tenya with the aid of the Command spell.

mcf50urfqmyg.jpg
    fk5qvv2sof8l.jpg
    oog7v2lhs48a.jpg

4 Broken hammers and 2 broken halberds caused us to wonder if a god had it in for us. However we gained quite a lot of experience from ankhegs and Helmud eventually got a proficiency point in flails. We had Sonner's flail +1 so he at least had an unbreakable wapon. I replaced one of my broken halberds when I took on a gnoll at High Hedge.

That was enough to keep me going until I got a +2 halberd by killing Ingot.

Heading south from beregost we killed a couple of ogrillon and recieved a ring of protection for delivering the letter one of them was carrying. We picked up the Colquetle Amulet and in Nashkel found some decent armour. We chatted to Noober and turned down an undeserved reward from Oublek.

We then helped Albert and 'Drienne before fighting Ingot.

Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    edited December 2020
    I would dual at 9.
    For weapon I would suggest hammers.
    In BG1 you can get Ashideena early even with SCS. The key is to hire clerics (Viconia, Branwen) and cast the combination of Doom/Silence. Then follow with Commands. Just be carefull when he starts with Blade Barrier. Don´t approach to him and take him down from afar. And if he somewhat cast Aerial Servant, run away.
    In Siege there is Sundermaul but I would not risk using it and stick with Ashideena. But for the most part you will be mage and rely on your party.
    In BG2 you get Ashideena in the starting dungeon and it will be your weapon until you get Crom. It can be problem because +2 is not enough to hit planetars and some golems/demons. Of course you can try to take down Alhoon in chapter 2 or 3 but he is very dangerous oponent (at least with SCS). You can put one proficiency point in some weapon as axe/short sword and use the appropriate weapon agains enemies that are immune to +2 weapons.
    With Crom + Helm of Balduran + some gauntlets your THACO will be - 5. Add emotions and some combination of Chant, Prayer and Recitation and you will reliably hit even the toughest oponents.
    In offhand Belm or Kundane, for TOB (after you get Gauntlets of Extraordinary Specialization) I would consider the combination of Crom + Runehammer.
    But if you want to play as mage and have berserker´s rage and hitpoints, then any weapon will do it. When I play this class, I do not use damaging spells and instead use all my spell slots on protection and fight with weapons.
    Post edited by velehal on
  • EnuhalEnuhal Member, Moderator Posts: 941
    Amel, Elven Stalker, Update 5

Previous updates: Delving into the mines, Imoen turned invisible at level three in order to disarm the traps. We ran into some trouble during the battle against the kobold shaman and chieftain due to a very bouncy lightning bolt and our lack of strategy - the party was quite injured, but survived without any need for spell usage:
    8onxd3fqqtmb.png
    I was a lot more careful and prepared when facing Mulahey - with the buffed up party approaching the cleric (moving into his room with haste), a quick and critical Amel backstab and a Wand of Fire charge into the kobold archers ended this battle within seconds:
    y1k56cv2us0q.png
    Returning to Nashkel, we faced Nimbul. Since he has stoneskins, MI and armor, I once again decided to break through with spells - he only had MGOI for spell protections in his prebuffs, so one spell thrust was enough to make him vulnerable:
    puwedk1ghkmc.png
    A few magic missles, and he was done. Next up was Tranzig. He got into a dialogue with Branwen, but somehow didn't turn hostile, so I just killed him with a backstab and a hit:
    8ecl9cwgrlov.png
    We explored Larswood, killing Teven and moving on to the druids:
    mfbccvjhsc75.png
    They can shift into their animal forms at will with the shapeshifting tokens, but at least they are no longer bugged when it comes to their spells.
    Just after this encounter, upon travel to Peldvale, we encountered the amazon ambush:
    8s42w0muh9i7.png
    We still had our stoneskins, so no need for immediate protection. Instead, I prepared a) haste on the party, b) silence on the western amazon cleric, with Minsc attacking in case of failure, c) the others attacking the eastern amazon cleric. Amel was able to immediately interrupt spellcasting, and silence succeeded:
    hg28sb3oe562.png
    The clerics were already neutralized, so I only had to deal with the thieves - both stealthed at this point. Imoen turned our most vulnerable party member, Branwen, invisible, and both backstabs missed - a quick victory:
    tpfhj93v8ozx.png
    Now, we fought our way to the north of Peldvale, taking down Raiken (using some wand of sleep charges):
    vrvz9q503n35.png
    Next time, we shall make our way to the bandit camp.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited December 2020
    An impressive run! Such an unfortunate end. I rarely use the claw for this reason. Death magic is scary to me, (especially in bg2 though).
    @Blackraven Hard luck
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    edited December 2020
    Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 219, Core rules + unmodded (1st and final update, 218 here)
    Barrieo (male half-elf Fighter / Mage ? Cleric, Gate70); Tritium (male half-elf Fighter / Mage / Thief, Grond0)

We spent a few minutes rolling this pair up yesterday and saved. They set out today, managed to not get any levels when defeating Shoal the Nereid and at level 1 foolishly decided to face Greywolf and run past him instead of away from him. Barrieo's level 1 protection counted for nothing with 10 of his 11hp bashed away and the final hit point nullified by cold damage.
    749ootqvbf9o.jpg

Not our shortest run, but not far off.
    Post edited by Gate70 on
  • EnuhalEnuhal Member, Moderator Posts: 941
    Amel, Elven Stalker, Update 7

Previous updates:
    Entering the Iron Mines, there were four crucial battles we had to face: Hareishan, Natasha, the ogre mage and Davaeorn. First up, Hareishan - an invisible Imoen disarmed the traps, and Dynaheir entered first, protected with stonekins - just moving into sight for a very short time in order to throw down her double web minor sequencer. With her invoker specialization, this held everyone but Hareishan herself, who was immune thanks to MGOI. Dynaheir immediately turned around again, moving out of sight:
    izw8u1fry1ih.png
    Hareishan made the mistake of following her, moving outside of the webs - this also put her into melee range of our hasted party. We quickly worked our way through her stoneskins while she was busy casting remove magic, and while she had another mirror image at her disposal, we had enough APR to get through any protections she would try to renew:
    ehv1i1r9bmoe.png
    Now, I only had to shoot down the webbed archers and guards. Moving on to Natasha - Amel moved in stealthed, to maybe get a backstab in, but Natasha appears to start under invisibility - so I had the visible Ajantis move in (I chose him because of his paladin bonus saving throws). Natasha started dispelling his buffs while Amel killed the hobgoblin elites:
    psj7rdnavazj.png
    Everyone else moved in, and Dynaheir + Imoen started to cast spell thrust, with the others attacking. Natasha, meanwhile, had cast a slow spell, but everyone in range was able to make their saving throw:
    nldjpsk6xsob.png
    She wouldn't get another chance - our fighters moved through her stoneskins, interrupting her final spell attempt, and my mages didn't even get the chance to take advantage of the removal of her spell protections.
    The ogre mage also is initially invisble, so once again Ajantis moved in. The usual chromatic orb opening wasn't much of a problem - the paladin made his save, everyone else rushed in, and we interrupted all other spellcasting attempts. We cleared the remaining level, moved back to level 1 and rested (least dangerous rest ambushes up there). Onto Davaeorn - New minor sequencers (magic missles, to quickly kill battle horrors), and an invisible Imoen started disarming traps. Amel donned the boots of speed and used a PFM-Scroll, charging Davaeorn. Imoen (still invisible, so in no danger) actually got affected by Davaeorns own minor sequencer (web + stinking cloud), but the others were positioned out of range to deal with incoming guards (though none arrived). The battle horrors moved in sight of the party while Davaeorn was teleporting around, followed by Amel, who was working through his physical defenses - Branwens skeletons made sure to engage them in melee while Dynaheir started firing off her magic missles (with the help of some of the others using magic missle wands as well):
    zv41wsz9anty.png
    We quickly got rid of the first battle horror, with most of the party still holding back:
    tkp90xg0f1or.png
    Then, suddenly, Davaeorn teleported directly into the party. Huh. I've never seen him teleport to this position before. However, just like with Hareishan, this turned out to be a bad idea for the mage: Amel had already removed his stoneskins at this point, and he was now surrounded and weakly protected - with the skeletons holding off the second battle horror, all I had to do was attack:
    mr9fjxlmd7rv.png
    We killed the second battle horror and left the mine - that went rather well. I entered the city and picked up Balduran's Helmet. Now, the party is resting after the exhausting journey. Next time: City sidequests!
  • aldainaldain Member Posts: 307
    @Enuhal Not that it matters now since it went fine, but Natasha's Hobgoblin Elites aren't "paired" with her in any way. If you move a stealthed/invisible character into her room, the Elites will start wandering around, leaving you free to pick them off without Natasha intervening once they eventually head outside the room.

This can be useful in order to reduce how many targets you need to consider at once in that fight since Natasha is pretty damn deadly if she gets a chance (Cone of Cold, Sunfire, Lightning Bolts, even a 2x Magic Missile Minor Sequencer on occasion...). I find her dangerous enough that I usually solve the fight using summons.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Mallus, CN Halfling Priest of Talos (2)

Previous reports:
    BG1: 1

Mallus and his elementally inclined party have been through enough adventures for an update, starting with the Cloudpeaks areas. These provide easy XP through Albert & Rufie, Ingot, Ludrug, and Petrine. However, at level 2-3 Vax (separated from Zal) turns out to be too much of an obstacle for the party. He consistently makes his saves, so we leave the area to look for Bassilus. That one too is a dangerous foe, and we need a retreat and a rest when he summons an aerial servant, but we prevail thanks to a Silence from Mallus, a Blindness from Neera, Branwen's spirits, and a Hold Person from Mallus. The Cyricist is then subjected to an onslaught of physical and elemental (fire) attacks. Fittingly our Halfling hero lands the killing blow, breaking his mundane hammer just when he has no more use for it.
    j8m0gf4v6w77.jpg
    He now wields Ashideena, the perfect BG1 weapon for a priest of Talos. We also pick up Melicamp and then travel west to the coast.

Upon her reaching level 3 I discover I gave Sirene ** in two-handed weapon style, and not in two-handed swords as I thought. (She comes with her own +1 greatsword.) Instead of making her proficient in two-handed swords I give her a first pip in scimitars, because there is a certain +3 scimitar that can help her become 100% fire resistant. And thankfully a certain dark elf has no more use for it, slain as he is by gnolls (which is also good news for Rasaad's AC). Sirene shall be a sword and board paladin until BG2. I intend to give her a second pip at level 6 and maybe a first pip in dual-wielding at level 9. Maybe, with lots of potions, she can dual-wield against Belhifet. Two-handed weapons will have to wait for a long time.

The Gift of Peace, the last piece of the puzzle for Sirene's item-based 100 fire resistance lies with Droth, and boy does he make us pay dearly for it. Mallus approaches under Sanctuary, and gets knocked unconscious by Shoal. With his Sanctuary still intact, all he needs to do is wait a bit to get back on his feet, then retreat to heal up. So far so good, but as we retreat back toward the area border we are greeted by three ghouls that weren't there before. Mallus barely has time to heal, and Neera gets paralyzed by one ghoul as we try to move past them. She falls. There goes our caster of Blindness. We decide to try and kill the creatures, but without solid AoE damage we are slow at that. We're barely done when Droth catches up with us. Mallus immediately starts a casting of Silence, but Droth is much faster with a Sleep cast at Imoen. She doesn't make her save, though neither does Droth. Mallus tries to buy the party some time with two Commands and Branwen manages to briefly blind the ogre mage with a Sunscorch, but he still finds his way to Imoen and finishes her off.
    hb4aiun0sybj.jpg
    Once the Silence wears off, Droth is at near death, which is clearly not dead enough for us to prevent him from casting another Sleep. This time Sirene is affected; Branwen and Rasaad make their saves. Droth extends the mayhem with an Icelance that, with its 5d6 cold damage, kills Branwen from full health (18 HPs). Out of curiosity I check Droth's HPs with ctrl-M. The bastard has 1 HP left at this point. Mallus dodges a conjuration spell by retreating out of our enemy's sight before he finishes him with his trusty sling.
    280c3l5drk4w.jpg
    A very hard-fought victory, that would have gone better without the ghouls I suspect. Rasaad decides to have a word with the Surgeon, hoping he might raise our fallen, but all he does is heal Mallus. We thank him anyway. Rasaad's little excursion alerts the ogres, and he fails to shake them off, so we have to kite them around a bit as Sirene is still asleep.

No further incidents occur and we make it safely back to Beregost where we get Neera, Imoen, and Branwen back on their feet. Those three all gain a level (3, 4, and 3 respectively) from Mallus's looting of the ankheg cave under Sanctuary and bringing farmer Brun his dead son's body. Rasaad and Mallus gain a level (4) from the party's dispatchment (with Commands) of the ankheg with Nester's dagger, and from their intervention in a conflict between Talos-venerating fisherman and a priestess of Umberlee.

Mallus gets a pip in two-weapon style, Rasaad in single-weapon style. Branwen picks Curse as her 3rd level 1 spell (in addition to Doom and Sunscorch), and Neera Shield (in addition to Blindness and Burning Hands). Imoen gets a pip in two-weapon fighting and invests some skill points into pickpocketing because one of the lessons learned from Droth is that we want to be better equipped. It also fits from a lore-perspective since priests of Talos are wont to pursue wealth and luxury according to the sourcebooks.
    We acquire a potion of mind focusing from the Temple of Wisdom, and then travel to the High Hedge for a potion of perception. However before we speak with Thalantyr, Rasaad first lures the wizard's flesh golems outside, where Branwen is performing her shamanic dance. The spirits can barely take two or three hits as the golems hit on a roll of 2 or better, and for serious damage, but Branwen manages to keep a fairly steady stream going and Rasaad, fleet-of-foot as he is, repeatedly rushes in and out to strike at the golems with Twinkle.
    f5tkug73d495.jpg
    Soon we're 4k XP richer, followed by another 2k when Thalantyr retransforms Melicamp. We buy a potion of perception (well actually three, the others will come in handy later), and with a potion of master thievery from the Nashkel Carnival and the aforementioned potion of mind focusing, Imoen does an excellent job stealing gear back from a merchant at the Nashkel Carnival.

We conclude our business with Vax and Zal, with Sirene acting as our fire tank,
    69ayjvq39y6u.jpg
    and we dispatch Neira in the Nashkel inn, thanks to Mallus Holding her while her Hold Person is saved against by Sirene.

Up north we kill close to 20 ankhegs, with the help of the wand of sleep (passed around between the companions when an ankheg saves) and Mallus's Commands. Neera escapes with her life once (2/18 HPs), but other than the hunting trip is uneventful, and we're rewarded with level-ups for Imoen, Branwen, and Neera. Branwen becomes proficient in the use of darts. I don't like their range, but she has to be somewhat close to enemies anyway for her spirits to attack them. Furthermore 3 APR is good and I want to see if she can dance twist with darts. She also learns a first tier 2 spell: Cure Moderate Wounds, an SCS/IWD addition. Makes sense to me as that spell level is notoriously poor for druids, and it leaves open a tier 1 spell pick that would otherwise be Cure Light Wounds. Neera's first level 2 spell is Mirror Image, as she really needs some defense.

Three battle horrors, a doom guard, and four basilisks (slain by skeleton warriors) at Durlag's Tower provide the next significant XP boost (after the ankhegs).
    w17vjpc7ihcq.jpg
    The same goes for Mutamin and his basilisks and Kirian's party. Sirene reads the green PfPetrification scroll, drinks a stone giant strength potion, and together with two skeleton warriors, she deals with the basilisks with her throwing axes. Korax holds Mutamin before he can kill the ghoul. Upon reaching level 5, Branwen learns Bless and Slow Poison, and Neera Magic Missile and Invisibility. When all the basilisks are taken care of, Branwen heals our two skeleton warriors. Korax and the two summons then position themselves close to Kirian and her men, and when the latter go hostile, Neera Blinds Baerin and Mallus Silences Kirian and, on the second try, Peter. We defeat them with physical attacks and precise fire damage from Rasaad and Neera (to avoid friendly fire).
    bsmimxckf4eo.jpg

Some wolves east of the Temple of the Morning,
    9clae1cxslvj.jpg
    Zargal and his friends, and nine sirines and three flesh golems are the source of yet another surge in XP. With Cavalier Sirene immune to charm and poison and Mallus immune to charm thanks to the Helmet of Charm Protection bought at Feldepost's Inn, and with the contributions of some skeleton warriors and Branwen's shamanic spirits, the sirines stand no chance.
    mr10g53kl2ls.jpg
    The flesh golems are dealt with the same way as Thalantyr's flesh golems: with shamanic spirits doing the tanking and sneak attacks from Rasaad. Sirene helps out with her Beruel's Retort throwing axes.
    8yf8snd4edaj.jpg
    The XP gained suffices for another level (5) for Mallus and Rasaad. Mallus gets the manual of bodily health identified, reads it for 18 CON, and then levels up, so as to immediately profit from +1 shorty saves against death, wands, and spells. He also equips the Claw of Kazgaroth. As a priest (best saves vs death) with full shorty saves, the Claw's penalties are very limited for him.

Finally we clear the Firewine Plains map, defeat Meilum,
    7xcbbaegb1uv.jpg
    and we complete Neera's quest. We do a bit of pre-buffing for the battle against Ekandor and co: Remove Fear, Shield for Rasaad (using the Shield Amulet) and Neera, and Mirror Image for Neera. Neera also applies an oil of speed as she's going to be rushed by the enemy warriors (two bodyguards and an ogre). Mallus summons two skeleton warriors. Once combat starts, Ekandor casts Stoneskin (not from scroll but from memory), but then Neera stuns him with the wand of paralyzation. Rasaad and Imoen focus their physical attacks on him.
    tx7sc2zsdxni.jpg
    Sirene engages the ogre together with the skeletons. She takes quite a bit of damage and we consider a potion of absorption, but the ogre's weapon breaks so he deals limited, non-lethal damage now. Mallus Silences the second mage and together with Branwen he attacks the wizard in melee. He also drops his first Holy Smite on most of the enemies.
    i3s9k9f3a5zj.jpg
    Neera finishes one of the two bodyguards with wand scorchers. When all foes lie dead on the ground, the companions take down the second bodyguard in a joint effort, and everyone survives even if Branwen's wounds are pretty grievous.
    r1ml004wcgz2.jpg
    Our rewards: Adoy's belt and a scroll of Stoneskin. The scroll isn't that great a prize for this party, since Neera as a Dragon Disciple doesn't learn spells from scrolls, and Imoen shall only reach Mage level 6 in BG1 if we dual her at level 9.

Everyone is around 30k XP now. There are still several wilderness areas we can cover, or we might just go to the Nashkel Mines.
    @Grond0 I thought that Mad Arcand ALWAYS gave a reward. It just shows that I always have a high charisma character leading the party.