Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Once again, we start to run out of quests. We move on to the Shadow Thief headquarters. It's nothing special. The first mage gets poisoned and dies. Dedral activates Power Attack and might have torn us apart, but Yoren Zovai disabled him with Feeblemind. Haz got poisoned by Fire Seeds. Summons wore down Aran Linvail's mage buddy. A Blade Barrier chopped up some of their goons.

Viora tried to summon an Aerial Servant to use against Aran Linvail, but he stopped her with Power Word: Silence, forcing her to hide. Zulfer's clone slew the other mage with poison, but Aran Linvail backstabbed the clone half to death, only to see the real Zulfer rush in with poisoned nonmagical darts and rolling high on attack rolls, flooding poor Aran with poison.

Zulfer's clone had already gotten confused, however, and eventually turned on Zalos, nearly killing her with poison damage before Laosha hurried over to cast Slow Poison. Yoren Zovai hit the clone with Spook to protect the party. By then, Aran Linvail had already died to poison.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Nice work @Gotural! I didn't know that Trap the Soul allowed a save (thought it was simply Imprisonment by another name). Good luck with Bodhi!
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    Thank you @Blackraven ! As far as I know it is SCS that tweaks Trap the Soul to allow a save vs death at -4, and it drains 4 levels even on a succesful save. Hopefully with two Blackguards, a Vampire and a Berserker my party is well protected against energy drain. :wink:

I also wanted to add that your writing is absolutely stellar! I really like it a lot. Good job with Davaeorn!
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    bengoshi said:

Crevs went AFK for several minutes, and it looked like Noober succeeded in what the developers wanted from this character - in bugging the player out.

I was picking up Tresset's stuff and putting it in the Bag of Holding ;p but it lagged a lot and took me a lot of time.

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    You make it look so easy vs spellcasters, semiticgod! This is my favourite thread, thanks to all the skilfull players contributing here.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Lavok has the MINHP1 item, which makes him immune to all disablers as well as poison, silence, level drain, and instant death effects. In EE, this also makes him immune to stat drain.

He is still, however, perfectly vulnerable to spell failure. The only critters that are immune are SCS celestials, demons, dragons, and genies. Ruva can shut down his spellcasting with Fire Seeds. And now that Yoren Zovai has hit level 12, we can bump up Ruva's clone to 3 APR instead of 2.

Again, the clone's dialog box name is Viora by default. The real Viora is hiding near Lavok. Notice the spell deflection visual around her: she just hit level 14 and can now cast Shield of the Archons.

Turns out Lavok uses Improved Mantle instead of Absolute Immunity. We could hit him with Darts +5 if we wanted. But Ruva's clone only has nonmagical darts and Fire Seeds equipped, and I think Ruva herself still has a better chance of hitting Lavok with Fire Seeds against the Flesh Golem rather than using Darts +5 against Lavok himself.

Lavok suffers total spell failure and resort to sequencers.

Ruva can no longer equip Frostreaver for when Lavok closes in on her and his Improved Mantle wears off. Her clone vanishes for reasons I don't understand, but soon, Lavok is out of Stoneskins, and wanders right into Ruva's traps.

Tolgerias is next. I want to backstab Tolgerias' friend, and turn Ruva invisible since her stealth is poor, but his friend is invisible and Ruva can't reveal her with Detect Illusions.

I could use the Staff of Striking to chunk Tolgerias in one blow, but I feel like fighting him. I use a nonmagical staff instead.

This turned out to be a bad idea. I don't put enough pressure on Tolgerias, and his spellcasting is safe.

It's a classic combination on Tolgerias' part. He brings out a Fallen Planetar. Viora escapes to the east, while Ruva lingers to serve as a decoy.

While Ruva is fleeing the Planetar to the northwest, and trying to escape a Dragon's Breath spell at the same time, Viora starts heading for the exit. Meanwhile, our summons start marching out in the hopes of keeping the Planetar busy while we make our escape.

But we can't flee the area, and therefore the Planetar's vorpal strikes, unless Ruva is with us. And when Ruva gets charmed, we're stuck.

Notice Viora is running back to the east. This is because I feared the Fallen Planetar would abandon Ruva and come after Viora instead. I bring her back a moment later, with Zulfer running up to meet her so I can have them switch boots. With the Boots of Speed, Viora can reach the exit a second sooner. The Planetar comes towards Viora, but changes its mind at the last second and re-targets Ruva.

While the Planetar is waffling, Tolgerias makes the most of his Improved Alacrity, and uses another HLA. This time, he targets Viora.

Viora has just now gotten the Boots of Speed and can re-join the party by the exit. But this would bring the Comet right onto the rest of the party.

We have to let it happen. We can't let Viora stay out in the open. Otherwise the Planetar might change its mind, and Viora could get chunked.

I give Viora the Ring of Fire Resistance at the last second. Without it, she would have died.

We heal up the group within the round, using the Rod of Resurrection on Viora.

A moment later, we get an auto-pause. Ruva has fallen.

Another character, chunked. With Ruva gone, we're able to flee the area.

I use CTRL-T to imitate waiting out the Planetar's duration.

The rest of the fight is a non-issue. Zulfer takes down both enemies with nonmagical darts.
    imageimage

Another huge XP loss for the party. I switch our save file back to the mpsave folder to re-create Ruva. She gets another marvelous stat roll, at 88 with 18/98 STR, but this time I give her grandmastery in axes, since Bala's Axe is coming up soon.

I dual-class Ruva to thief immediately and invest in Find Traps, since we have a few traps coming up, but no locks to pick. Any chunking in a no-reload is awful, particularly this late in the game, but Ruva was the best possible target, as her power was the least dependent on her levels.

This party is great at dealing with mages, but it requires high pressure on the first round. We didn't apply that, allowing Tolgerias to secure an advantage.