Skip to content

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited October 2022 in Off-Topic
The user and all related content has been deleted.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I think its too early to say whether or not its just a fad. Pillars only started crowdfunding 2.5 years ago. Wasteland 2 was a little over 3 years ago. When you consider game development times I think its too early to say whether or not this will last.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I think it's an evolution of concepts. In the past, a studio would need a loan, or investors, or a publisher that wanted to help with the financial cost of creating a game. Crowdfunding (which let's be honest, the process is really just "fundraising") adds another possible route to financial aid when it comes to a new project, which is a good thing in the long run, even if not every studio adopts that method.

I don't know that Kickstarter will always be a part of that process in the way that it is currently, but overall I'd say it's a healthy thing for the industry.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I think that it is a cyclical process. We are (have been) seeing a fair amount of it now.

I think the big draw is that games are getting made in ways that a lot of the Big companies simply wouldn't buy off on. As such we are seeing a lot of innovation. Further, we are seeing that the types of games that the big corps didn't think were viable anymore, or simply were old technology, actually still have an audience.

However, the big companies are seeing that these 'indie' games and crowd source endeavors are cutting into their market share and eroding consumer confidence in their corporate formulas for games. I am sure that is not sitting well in those arenas and I am sure there are lots of closed door sessions trying to find a solution.

So I suspect that we will continue to see crowd funding until the big names start adopting a different attitude and maybe start exploring some of the "New" ideas that are coming in and see if they can 'Profitize' the games. Then things will swing back towards the big names because they have more money to throw at the problem.

However, once they too become stale and people want to innovate again and things will swing back towards crowd sourcing again.

Just my opinion.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.