Skip to content

[v2.8] Sirene, a tiefling paladin of Ilmater NPC for BG:EE and SoD

Comments

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    @LavaDelVortel: Sure. I'll have to do another BG1 run to get a feel for White since I've never played with him, but I'd be happy to add crossmod.

I did a quick full BG1 run with Sirene - all talks are working as they should now (thank goodness!) so unless any more bugs show up, I'll be comfortable with releasing version 1. I'll consider hosting the mod on other modding sites as well.

Lastly - BG2 content's being worked on :smile: I've got about a month's free time left, so I'm hoping to get through with it during that time.
    AedanLughChulainn
  • MadrictMadrict Member Posts: 141
    Yay, excellent work :)
    Hey guys. No updates this time, but I'm moving this thread to the General Modding section. Two reasons: firstly to hopefully give the mod more exposure shameless I know, but I would like more people to play and provide feedback and secondly because I'm working on expansion to BG2 and I'd rather add to this thread than make a new one.

Oh and in regards to BG2 status: interjections, joining/leaving dialogue are done. Haven't started on banters but romance talks are being written. Also, for the heck of it I'm writing a few flirts and it's the most awkward thing I've ever written.
    MadrictSmilingSword
  • VyrulisseVyrulisse Member Posts: 108
    Have you decided on any limits to the Romance? Clearly an Evil person would be a no-go, just curious. Also if you want to lighten up the awkwardness of writing Flirts, pepper some silly ones in there. :)
    @Vyrulisse Sirene will not join evil protagonists. Additionally, there's a fairly low charisma requirement to start it, but PCs of either gender and any race is fair game.
    LavaDelVortel
    edited August 2015
    Status update: Flirts are completed, banters are about halfway complete. Sirene will have conflicts with Dorn and Hexxat, and currently has the most banters with Keldorn, Mazzy, Viconia and Yoshimo. There is also a bit of silliness involving chocolate in a few talks. Don't ask me why.

I also decided to not be lazy and created a variable which allows the player to choose whether Sirene met the PC during BG1. If she did, there will be one more banter with every party member from BG1 as well as Keldorn, extra interjections and slightly different talks. This is going to mean a lot of work for me on top of working on the nasty surprises I have planned.

For a hint of how much work I have in mind, I've planned 5 epilogues for Sirene so far, and I may add one more depending on whether I can make the ideas I have fit in.
    ronaldoshawneSmilingSword
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Nice work so far, just remember that sometimes less is more :wink:
  • VyrulisseVyrulisse Member Posts: 108
    You had me at banters with Mazzy. I love having Mazzy in my group.
    SionIVlolienRabuliz
  • MadrictMadrict Member Posts: 141
    Wish more NPCs had BG1 and 2 content like this. Good job :)
    lolien
  • agb1agb1 Member Posts: 249
    Hi @Artemius_I - we've added Sirene to BiG World Setup (https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/44476/tool-big-world-setup-bws-mod-manager-for-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-trilogy-for-windows) for BG:EE/EET. The forum link from the tool comes to this thread.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666

Keep in mind this interjection will not trigger if you installed Isra as that mod overrides this dialogue. It happened here because I altered a global script for the sake of showing, which amusingly also caused Isra to walk away saying I stood aside when she stood around doing nothing while we killed Greywolf ¬_¬

so are the two mods compatible or will thy cause conflicts?

also since they are both paladins ever thought about making some cross mod with the two with isra's creators permission of course.
    They are compatible but that line will not show up.

Crossmod will likely not be a feature for some time if ever.
    Update yay. I am getting work done for BG2 content, so don't worry. At the same time, either the BG1 mod is either relatively bug-free or people haven't played it much, because I've gotten no feedback. I can only hope that getting BG2 content will draw more attention.

So far I've completed quite a bit of the writing work - the banters in particular took a lot out of me. Some characters who have a lot to talk about with Sirene will have above the average number of banters - Yoshimo has as many as five. I've got enough of an idea on how the BG2 content will go, so if anyone is curious about her romance, or how she gets along with x party member, or whatever else.

Oh, and I've written crossmod for Pai'Na so the two will have some things to say. So consider my last post a semi-lie.
    lolienGodKaiserHell
  • Abdel_AdrianAbdel_Adrian Member Posts: 430
    Looks like a very interesting mod, even if I don't agree with tiefling paladins, especially in 2e. Still looks like an NPC I'd enjoy.
    I'm not sure, but I think the Brimstone +1 is supposed to "smell" faintly of smoke rather than "spell" faintly.
    Version 1.1 of the mod is now available, fixing the notorious Brimstone typo, a few dialogue bug fixes, expanding a couple of the talks, new icons for the martyr's innate spells and last but definitely not least, Isandir's amazing portrait as an optional component.
    GodKaiserHelllolien
    Mod is now being hosted on github. I should have done it a long time ago but was too lazy. I got messaged by someone about getting a malware alert because of rackcdn though so I can't really put it off anymore.

Also, BG2 previews. More to come.
  • iavasechuiiavasechui Member Posts: 274
    Kinda curious based on her weapon's description... if the worst happens and she gets chunked can Haer'Dalis use her sword? I prefer keeping unique weapons with their owners but I was really curious as he's a tiefling as well.
    @iavasechui Yep. However - because of engine limitations the weapon is restricted to elven paladins/bards. This wouldn't be a problem if you were playing by the rules, but if you're using a mod to allow an elven paladin or bard, they would also be able to use it.
  • iavasechuiiavasechui Member Posts: 274
    cool~ good to know
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    @Artemius_I, interesting mod.

I have a couple of technical questions:

1) Any reasons why are you setting a variable called CDZOSA in the spells? I'm asking because it seems that it isn't used anywhere else in the mod.

2) Any reasons why are you using opcode 321 (Removal: Effects specified by Resource) on the spell c0ilmsp2.spl ? It doesn't seem to be required. Probably, you just forgot to remove it.

One last question: would you consider adding Tutu support for the BG1 part?

The only problem I see, regarding compatibility, is that you'll have to use 1d10 as Hit Die in Tutu/BGT, but increasing her constitution by 1 point will give roughly the same HPs on average (or alternatively you could increase CON by 2 to get the same maximum HPs).
    @Erg

1) I have no idea. I used other spells as a framework and every spell in my game contains that string. I haven't removed it in fear of it breaking something, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

2) Actually it's intentional... sort of. It's to remove the Dwarven Defender's defensive stance. I'm a powergamer but 100% damage reduction by level 5 is a bit much even for me.

3) Tutu support... ehh. I'd love to but I don't have the original games anymore so I can't test it. I would allow someone else to make it compatible though, if they are willing to.
    Erglolien
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756

2) Actually it's intentional... sort of. It's to remove the Dwarven Defender's defensive stance. I'm a powergamer but 100% damage reduction by level 5 is a bit much even for me.

Right. I forgot about the Dwarven Defender's defensive stance.

Opcode 321 is EE-only, but the Dwarven Defender is also EE-only, so an hypothetical Tutu/BGT version of the mod could simply have a modified version of that spell without opcode 231. Good to know.

I would allow someone else to make it compatible though, if they are willing to.

Good to know:

It's still far from full compatibility, and I not promising anything, as I don't have much time, but I'll see what I can do.

lolienAedan
    edited April 2016
    Got a few more previews:

This has no real importance, but I thought the idea was cute so I threw it in.

Reaction to being given Carsomyr.

If you acknowledge that you traveled with her in BG1, she will respond to basically anything that is relevant e.g. Neb, Quayle, Coran, Neeber, etc. In this case it's Xzar.
    Post edited by TheArtisan on
    lolienCaszidy
    edited April 2016
    More screenshots. Brimstone now has a new look and a... *sigh* Edwin banter.:

Can I just take a moment to stress how much I dislike writing for Edwin? He's never been a character that 'clicked' with me, along with Jan I don't think I've ever taken him from start to end. I especially dislike it when his comic relief aspect is played up. Despite his eccentricities he is still a powerful, ambitious mage, but more often than not he's just treated like a joke. Thoughts?
    Caszidy
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239

Can I just take a moment to stress how much I dislike writing for Edwin? He's never been a character that 'clicked' with me, along with Jan I don't think I've ever taken him from start to end. I especially dislike it when his comic relief aspect is played up. Despite his eccentricities he is still a powerful, ambitious mage, but more often than not he's just treated like a joke. Thoughts?

I always thought that was the whole point - for all Edwin's power (and he is a powerful wizard), it's his compulsive mustache-twirling that makes him incompetent. If he had the mindset of a traditional Red Wizard, he'd inevitably betray you at the drop of a pin. But because he's such a preening egotist, he basically talks himself into being a useful companion while being completely oblivious that that's what he's doing. Gotta love him!

(It's also worth noting that even in BG2:EE, Edwin's really the only comic relief for an Evil party - Dorn, Korgan, Hexxat and Viconia are many things, but they're not funny.)
  • ChorazyGlusChorazyGlus Member Posts: 151
    @Artemius_I Gonna do BG1 EE run with your arcane archer kit as PC and Sirene. One question though, will she be available in SoD?
  • kensaikensai Member Posts: 228
    Haven't played yet, but looks like a great npc!
    Her kit reminds me of Ragnarok Online's Paladin, support and taking damage to protect wizards and others.

One question though, I have kit revisions installed, does this kit gains KR paladin spellcasting and KR Smite Evil? Or vanila ones?
    @ChorazyGlus There is no SoD content. I haven't made a seamless way to remove her from the party though so it's possible she might just stick with you. I'm still uncertain of whether I'll bother to make content but the BG2 portion is being written under the impression that she left after BG1.

@kensai I don't use KR so I don't know. I'm guessing it'll use the KR spell progression for paladins but KR abilities is unlikely since it uses its own .2da file. You'll have to try it yourself.
    edited April 2016
    Oh by the way, SoA banters are almost done. I ended up writing a lot more than I planned. Still not confident that they're entirely in-character but this is the banter count:

Aerie: 4
    Anomen: 5 (1 for LG, 1 for CN)
    Cernd: 3
    Edwin: 4 (1 for BG1, 1 for Edwina)
    Haer'Dalis: 3
    Imoen: 4 (1 for BG1)
    Jaheira: 4 (2 for BG1)
    Jan: 1
    Keldorn: 6 (1 for BG1, 2 for different Keldorn quest conclusions)
    Korgan: 1
    Mazzy: 5 (1 if Valygar is in party)
    Minsc: 3 (1 for BG1)
    Nalia: 2
    Neera: 3
    Rasaad: 3
    Valygar: 4
    Viconia: 5 (1 for BG1)
    Yoshimo: 5
    CaszidyCharlestonianTemplar