Skip to content

[v2.8] Sirene, a tiefling paladin of Ilmater NPC for BG:EE and SoD

Comments

• BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    edited July 2017

It just goes to show you that I dont know how to judge kit descriptions to know what is going to be powerful. I do really like the idea of a character who makes potions/traps/arrows/runes as a means to be effective in combat. It makes sense to leave her with a special weapon, ala Jan.

I dont know a whole lot about modding (I've tried a few times, never got much past tutorials) - is it possible to have quests give special abilities? (Or maybe a one time usable item that grans the special ability). It would be neat, from a user point of view, if upon completion of a specific quest - a specific new arrow/potion/rune was able to be created (In my head, I'm thinking something like - Killing Firekraag grants Aura the ability to make a more power fire trap. Or arrow. Or potion. Or rune).

Yeah, it's very easy to do. It's already an idea I have in place. She won't have any explosives until a certain stage. The only problem with gaining abilities from events is that it's very possible to miss the opportunity in the case of the character not being present or dead, which is why I'm not adding it in too many places.
    Ooooh. I hadnt considered that. Still, as a supplement, it's a neat idea since she wont receive spells like a mage might, and is too frail for most armor choices to be terribly meaningful (at least, the way she sounds to me). There's also always the placing of these quest/enemy related enhancements as part of the main quests so they arent able to be missed, or through Aura specific quests/encounters. Doesnt get around the concern of her dying, though...

Also - I just wanted to report in on the Sirene fix. I manually updated the Setup-Sirene.tp2 file as suggested. After this, I made a handful of attempts to get the dialogue to fire. I immediately went and rested at an Inn (didnt work. Tried multiple times). I thought it might be on a timer, per other dialogues - so I went through an hour to an hour and a half of questing (Nashkel ---> Gnoll Stronghold). Finished and went back to Beregost, tried to fire the dialogue up again by resting in the inn. Still didnt work. Used EEKeeper to put the friendshiptalk counter to 12 so that the firing condition would work (it was still at 11, as it had been the previous night). Tried resting again, still to no avail.

Lastly - I initiated a conversation with her while in the Feldpost Inn, and *that* triggered the dialogue in full(but only after manually setting that global variable to 12. When left at 11, I got the normal PID options). I'm curious - is this the way the dialogue is meant to be fired? Or is it supposed to be that it fires automatically when one tries to go to sleep in an inn?

In relation to all of this, I'm also wondering: Am I just being too impatient? Would the global variable have eventually set itself to 12 and allowed the conversation to happen? I left the game paused for about an hour just to see how that would change anything. No variable change, and the conversation wasnt triggered until I made the change myself. It's still not clear to me how the coding works get the next dialogue to occur (I see in the dialogue file that she initiates a conversation at every even numbered global variable. I also see that the initiation of each dialogue increments the global variable up one (but not two) - I dont know when/how/if the variable increments up again to allow the dialogue to trigger.

Also - Thanks for all the help on this.

Edit - Took another look through the file. I see now what you mean by the friendship track ends up pacing itself along the chapters. It seems like there's only one or two more chats after the Inn before clearing cloakwood becomes a necessity - then maybe one or two more after finishing the return to candlekeep.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    @BallpointMan

I have a feeling on what might be wrong, but I'll need for you to confirm something for me. If you open a file called pdialog.2da in your override folder, you can find the row for 'C0Sirene' and the dialog files on the same row. The last one should be C0SirenD. If it's anything else (C02SireD or C0Sire2D) then I've done something very wrong and the dialogues will not fire.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    An empty zip file downloaded with v2.2. Are you still working on something with it?
  • rashkaerashkae Member Posts: 179
    @Zaghoul Use the Source Code Link. (It's another zip.)
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @rashkae Thanks, that seems to have done it.
    edited July 2017

@BallpointMan

I have a feeling on what might be wrong, but I'll need for you to confirm something for me. If you open a file called pdialog.2da in your override folder, you can find the row for 'C0Sirene' and the dialog files on the same row. The last one should be C0SirenD. If it's anything else (C02SireD or C0Sire2D) then I've done something very wrong and the dialogues will not fire.

@Artemius_I

Checked it out. Looks like your intuition was spot on: The whole line reads like this:

C0Sirene C0SirenP C0SirenJ C02SireD

I'm well beyond understanding what this actually means.

I do recall on my last install before this one, she did continue the chapter specific dialogues. So at least those were still working (not that far this time. About to go to the bandit camp).
    @BallpointMan You can change the last bit manually. 'C0SirenD' is the correct one. I last tested the updated version and it fixed it - not sure why it isn't doing it for you.

@BallpointMan You can change the last bit manually. 'C0SirenD' is the correct one. I last tested the updated version and it fixed it - not sure why it isn't doing it for you.

What will that impact? I only ask because since my last issue with having to manually set up the counter, all of her talks have proceeded as they're supposed to - I think. I got the one after the inn talk (Do you like to read) and I got one for finishing the Bandit Camp.

It is worth noting this is an EET build. So if making that change will impact things in SoD or BG2EE, then I'll definitely do it. Otherwise, is it necessary?
  • BlashBlash Member Posts: 248
    edited July 2017
    @Artemius_I
    Could you confirm that in an EET game, Sirene is fully continuous? I mean that Sirene stats, proficiencies, experience points etc. never get reset while transitioning from BGEE to SoD and then to BG2EE.
    The author of EET said yes, but mod descriptions in BWS are quite ambiguous..
    Wouldn't want to "lose" my developed character at the end of one of the parts of EET.

Edit: Could you also confirm that making her a Cleric/Fighter could cause problems in the BG2 portion of the game?
    Post edited by Blash on
  • redlineredline Member Posts: 296

Okay, rolled out a patch for the above issue. Those talks should launch as they are supposed to now. I can't believe it took me this long to notice why this was happening...

On another note, not relevant to the update or this mod in general, but I wanted to, hmm... how should I put it... pitch an idea for another mod concept that I put a bit of work into but ultimately set aside in favor of Drake (who was drafted around the same time) on the grounds that I'm not sure if the premise was something people would like... but now that I have more time available to dedicate to writing I'm itching to revive it for reasons... if there's a bit of interest in this I'll put a bit more work into it after Drake-SoD is completed. This wasn't really something I felt like needed enough attention to warrant making a separate thread, but I'm interested in the thoughts of those that have an interest in my mod. Feel free to share thoughts.

(Don't mind the portrait too much, it was taken from my personal resources and I'm using it in absence of something more suitable right now, the mod is only a concept as of right now after all)

I'd be pretty stoked about this new NPC, particularly if there are banters with your other mods. FWIW, I don't have the time for BG playthroughs that I once did, but when I do get the time to fire up a new run, Sirene (and, next time, Drake) will be must-installs - the only NPC mods to fall into that category for me, in fact. Good luck!
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    Blash said:

@Artemius_I
    Could you confirm that in an EET game, Sirene is fully continuous? I mean that Sirene stats, proficiencies, experience points etc. never get reset while transitioning from BGEE to SoD and then to BG2EE.
    Wouldn't want to "lose" my developed character at the end of one of the parts of EET.

Edit: Could you also confirm that making her a Cleric/Fighter could cause problems in the BG2 portion of the game?

Sirene is fully continuous. You meet the same character in BG2 with the stats etc you last had before you separated. Exception are items - you cannot misuse NPCs in EET as containers to transfer additional items. So she will have some pre-defined equipment when re-joining.

Not sure what that cleric/fighter thing means? Technically, EET is BG2EE all the way through, i.e EET allows you everything that is supported by BG2EE (rules, kits etc). This does not change between game parts since in EET there is only one game. If making her Cleric/Fighter in BG1 is possible in EET without issue, then it is for all of the game, just would be a shame since Sirene is a paladin also story-wise.

Blash said:

@Artemius_I

Sirene is fully continuous. You meet the same character in BG2 with the stats etc you last had before you separated. Exception are items - you cannot misuse NPCs in EET as containers to transfer additional items. So she will have some pre-defined equipment when re-joining.

Not sure what that cleric/fighter thing means? Technically, EET is BG2EE all the way through, i.e EET allows you everything that is supported by BG2EE (rules, kits etc). This does not change between game parts since in EET there is only one game. If making her Cleric/Fighter in BG1 is possible in EET without issue, then it is for all of the game, just would be a shame since Sirene is a paladin also story-wise.
    I was referring to second and third posts here:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/62163/npc-mod-sirene-npc-for-bg2-ee-v1-5-1/p6

Anyway, I agree on the story side, and I found a decent composition for my party, gonna keep her Paladin (Cavalier, tho) ;)
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    Blash said:

Blash said:

@Artemius_I

I was referring to second and third posts here:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/62163/npc-mod-sirene-npc-for-bg2-ee-v1-5-1/p6

Anyway, I agree on the story side, and I found a decent composition for my party, gonna keep her Paladin (Cavalier, tho) ;)
    Ah, but that is something completely different and not related to EET at all. Sirene has some plot event in BG2 concerning her paladin personality which may not work as intended if she is a fighter/cleric. The solution in the mod would probably be to disable this option in EET games so it cannot be carried over from BG1 part.
  • rashkaerashkae Member Posts: 179
    By the way, I probably never mentioned it,,but the Fighter/Cleric option hasn't even worked since it was 're-added.'. When you meet Cleric Sirene in BG, she starts with her SoD dialogue track. (personally, I would say, just drop it, since it doesn't continue anyhow.)

• MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    rashkae said:

By the way, I probably never mentioned it,,but the Fighter/Cleric option hasn't even worked since it was 're-added.'. When you meet Cleric Sirene in BG, she starts with her SoD dialogue track. (personally, I would say, just drop it, since it doesn't continue anyhow.)

I did not change Siren's class but got here SoD dialog in BG1 as well. Thought that my mess of mods installation, though.
    edited August 2017
    Hello, got the following error in the last two BWS installs (never got before, same selection):

Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Sirene NPC for Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear], rolling back to previous state
    Will uninstall 1 files for [SIRENE/SETUP-SIRENE.TP2] component 1.
    Uninstalled 1 files for [SIRENE/SETUP-SIRENE.TP2] component 1.
    ERROR: Not_found
    PLEASE email the file SETUP-SIRENE.DEBUG to Artemius_I
    Automatically Skipping [Sirene NPC for Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear] because of error.
    Using Language [English]

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Sirene NPC for Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear

C:\EET\Baldur's Gate Siege of Dragonspear\Data\00806>

ERROR: cannot convert %C0ILM% or %%C0ILM%% to an integer
    ERROR: [Sirene/creatures/C02Siren.cre] -> [override/C02Siren.cre] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)
    ERROR: Not_found
    Sirene NPC for Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear (Sirene NPC for BG1:EE) was not installed due to errors.

You can try to repair the problem and start the installation of the component again. In this case please select "retry" after the repair.

If you don't want to spent time for that now, you can also continue without the
    component or exit the program. The BiG World Setup will continue with the installation of that component.
    Enter [r]etry, [c]ontinue or [e]xit.

Manual install gave this:

Install Component [Sirene NPC for Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear]?
    [I]nstall, or [N]ot Install or [Q]uit? i

Installing [Sirene NPC for Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear]
    Extending game scripts ...

[Sirene/Scripts/BD0111.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 12 column 1-38
    Near Text: )
    [ChangeSpecifics] argument [ALLIES] not found in [Specific.IDS]

[Sirene/Scripts/BD0111.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 35 column 8-41
    [ChangeSpecifics] argument [ALLIES] not found in [Specific.IDS]
    Copying and patching 1 file ...
    Compiling 6 dialogue files and 2 scripts ...

[action list near line 907, column 9 of Sirene/Dialogue/C02SireJ.d] PARSE WARNING at line 910 column 1-29
    [ChangeSpecifics] argument [THIEF] not found in [Specific.IDS]

ERROR locating resource for 'CHAIN3'
    Resource [BDAKANNA.DLG] not found in KEY file:
    [./chitin.key]
    ERROR: preprocessing APPEND_EARLY [Sirene/Dialogue/C02SireJ.d]: Failure("resource [BDAKANNA.DLG] not found for 'CHAIN3'")
    Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Sirene NPC for Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear], rolling back to previous state
    Will uninstall 4 files for [SIRENE/SETUP-SIRENE.TP2] component 1.
    Uninstalled 4 files for [SIRENE/SETUP-SIRENE.TP2] component 1.
    ERROR: Failure("resource [BDAKANNA.DLG] not found for 'CHAIN3'")
    PLEASE email the file SETUP-SIRENE.DEBUG to Artemius_I
    Using Language [English]

Install Component [Sirene NPC for Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear]?
    [I]nstall, or [N]ot Install or [Q]uit?
    v2.3 isn't much of an update - it's mostly just cleaning up from my inexperienced days. The most notable change is that the selfcasting the martyr's abilities no longer does anything, as intended. The other thing was a minor buff to bring her more in line with PnP tiefling bonuses (+10% electrical resistance, +2 save vs. spells).
  • SirickSirick Member Posts: 92
    edited September 2017
    Just installed this mod to give it a try, but wanted a more BG style portrait so using an edit I found on the forum of an unused (or does one of the tutorial npc's use it?) portrait I did some quick Photoshop work to bring it a little closer to Sirene.

Figured others may like to use it, so here it is for you!

Post edited by Sirick on
  • bhavbhav Member Posts: 11
    I ran into an issue with Sirine in BGII, right after I recruit her into the party, and I'm unsure if it's a bug or a feature.

Sirine is unable to equip any weapons because she is 'equipped' with a magical weapon. I notice during active play/navigation that her weapon quick slots display Brimstone +1, however: nothing is displayed on her inventory page, her stats reflect fist attack, she attacks with fists during combat and she is actually able to equip a shield in her off-hand slot (even through Brimstone is two-hand sword) but nothing in the primary weapon slots. The 'magic item' does not dispel after a period of time, either (not yet, at least).

Has anybody encountered this before? Is there anyway to edit out the 'magic weapon' using EEKeeper? I tried editing in actual Brimstone +1 in Sirine's quick weapon slot but did not work as intended. Perhaps @Artemius_I has advice on how to proceed?
    @bhav

Does Ctrl+R (with cheats enabled) work?
  • bhavbhav Member Posts: 11
    Yes, that worked! Thank you.
  • ShoukanShoukan Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2017
    Hi I personally love the character but I have an issue with the mod. Despite having the DLC installed I cannot install the Sirene extension for Dragonspear. Namely each time I try to install it the installer shows this error...

Ok nevermind I found a solution thanks to @Fiastra
    Post edited by Shoukan on
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,700
    edited October 2017
    Sirick said:

Just installed this mod to give it a try, but wanted a more BG style portrait so using an edit I found on the forum of an unused (or does one of the tutorial npc's use it?) portrait I did some quick Photoshop work to bring it a little closer to Sirene.

Figured others may like to use it, so here it is for you!

I actually somehow... like that version, made it a bit more suitable, but I'm still wondring if re-using the face from the original portrait is a good idea. I changed it a bit, made it more round, bigger lips etc, but I wonder if it shouldn't get changed more.

Post edited by LavaDelVortel on
  • nullsetnullset Member Posts: 38
    I found a bug in v2.3. In the tp2, you have switched the script/dialogue settings for Fighter/Cleric between the BG1 and SOD cre copies. I also wonder why you have assigned Sirene a mage kit when she is either some form of Paladin or Cleric.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @nullset Sirene isn't assigned a mage kit. Martyr is a Paladin kit. Sounds like a bug.
    @ThacoBell "MAGESCHOOL_GENERALIST - 16384" is what is posted in the .cre file for Sirene's kit. Sounds like a mage kit to moi.
    @nullset

Pretty sure it doesn't matter since the kit gets overridden anyway...
    @Artemius_I

I gets overridden for Paladin, but not for Fighter/Cleric. Maybe remove the kit from the Fighter/Cleric cre templates? When you fix the script/dialogue settings for the Fighter/Cleric cre copies in the tp2? BTW, I really enjoy the Sirene mods. Q: Are you planning on having a look at the destructive interjections in Sirene-BG2? (I posted about this elsewhere, but have heard nothing back. )
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    nullset said:

@ThacoBell "MAGESCHOOL_GENERALIST - 16384" is what is posted in the .cre file for Sirene's kit. Sounds like a mage kit to moi.

Martyr shows up as a Paladin kit on my install.
    Will check. However, it doesn’t really make sense to me - there is no such thing as a ‘Generalist’ kit for mages, a generalist Mage is just an unkitted Mage. I have never assigned a kit directly to Sirene’s .cre files since the .tp2 does that.

I have no idea regarding the BG2 interjections. I’ll have to try and see if I can find out what’s wrong.

I apologize for the lack of attention to my mods as of late. I’m midway through my current semester at college so I’ve had no time for testing.