Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

New Premium Module: Tyrants of the Moonsea! Read More
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

BattleTech - turn-based tactical mech game

typo_tillytypo_tilly Member Posts: 5,702
BattleTech kickstarter

^_^ From the makers of the latest crowdfunded Shadowrun games will come a new BattleTech game. It will be a turn-based game following your squads of robots. >:)

BattleTech and MechWarrior are based on the same BattleTech universe. This new game has the support of Jordon Weisman, the co-creator of the BattleTech universe, and Mitch Gitelman, the producer and [a] designer of the MechCommander games.

I'm not sure if I want to donate at $25 for the game or $50 for the beta access. (Seems to be a thing in crowdfunded games nowadays.) *-) I believe I read the game will retail at $40... but we all know it will go on sale after a few months. n.n

Unlike the Shadowrun games, there's been no mention of a game editor. There is, however, PvP play intended in the form of arena combat.

For those familiar to BattleTech, the game will take place in the Inner Sphere_before_ the Clans attack. (The classic MechWarrior 2 series, released 1995, took place around the Clan Invasion.) It takes place in the Succession Wars, where presumably the 5 houses each try to get to the top of the heap. The team hints at future games which will include the Clans.

And the mechs potentially included so far? (Remember, no Clan mechs!)

BATTLETECH is in pre-production, so many decisions, like the final 'Mech roster, are not yet determined. But here are the 'Mechs we're currently planning to include:

LIGHT: Locust, Commando, Spider, Firestarter, Jenner, Panther, Raven, Urbanmech

MEDIUM: Cicada, Blackjack, Vindicator, Centurion, Enforcer, Hunchback, Trebuchet, Griffin, Kintaro, Shadowhawk, Wolverine

HEAVY: Dragon, Quickdraw, Catapult, JagerMech, Thunderbolt, Cataphract, Grasshopper, Orion

ASSAULT: Awesome, Victor, Zeus, BattleMaster, Stalker, Highlander, Banshee, King Crab, Atlas

FinneousPJJuliusBorisovNimranelminsterbleusteelGrammarsaladShapiroKeatsDarkMage

Comments

• NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,848
    I seriously cannot like this announcement enough.

typo_tilly
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,017

I'm not sure if I want to donate at $25 for the game or $50 for the beta access. (Seems to be a thing in crowdfunded games nowadays.) *-) I believe I read the game will retail at $40... but we all know it will go on sale after a few months. n.n

The real question (other than if you have the money to spare, which I assume you do or you wouldn't be considering the $50 price point) is how much you want to contribute to the development of said game. Contributing at the $50 price point will get the game closer to their goal (assuming that is not a foregone conclusion) and will allow you to contribute in some small way by participating in such things as balance reports and bug issues. It's really up to you.

typo_tilly
  • typo_tillytypo_tilly Member Posts: 5,702
    edited October 2015
    *nods*

I'd like to go in early to point out the typos. Every Shadowrun release has had typos for even ~3 weeks of patches after release. I'd really like to catch them before that. :)

Also, they say if they go above $2.5 million, they may do co-op multiplayer! :D I'd play that. :3

Are you going to add a co-op multiplayer mode? That would be amazing?

We think so too! If we're lucky enough to receive funding beyond our $2.5m Stage Four goal, it will go to polishing the features and content we’ve already committed to.

After that, any additional funds will go toward funding a Post-Launch Live Team that will continue developing additional features and content. First among them will be Cooperative Multiplayer, which will allow you and a friend to face-off against AI opponents.

JuliusBorisov
    LOL. Should have known considering your name.

I do agree that a game like that, multi-player would be awesome, even essential. What would the point of a turn based mech game without the ability to build your own constructions and pit them against other players? In either case, sounds like you have your answer.

I played one of the Mech Commander games, but it wasn't my type of game. It was fun and all, but not as much my thing. Still, I hope the greatest success for this game. :smile:

JuliusBorisov
    XD Can you imagine how I felt? All those typos staring at me for weeks in Shadowrun Dead Man's Switch? It was just bloody awful. Any creative good can be marred by a handful of typos. :)

MC can get frantic because it's real-time. Be interesting to see how BattleTech works turn-based. :)

Not everyone likes the same stuff. It's just awesome that there's so much new stuff coming out! ^__^

JuliusBorisovelminster
    As I am self proclaimed one of the worst spellers in existence, I don't often get bothered by such things. But I can see (conceptually) that could be very distracting indeed.

Yeah, I do actually like turn based much better than real time. I almost didn't buy the original BG for that simple reason. And I still think that ToEE is a much better interpretation of the whole turn based tactical combat. But that's me.

As a flip to that, I actually like Sins of a Solar Empire more than Galactic Civilizations. Well on some days I do. So I guess I an a conundrum wrapped in an enigma surrounded by a question mark?

typo_tillyJuliusBorisov
    Yeah, when it comes down to it, it's all about the mech fighting! >:)

They seem to be in the conceptual stage, so I doubt we'll see any videos during the crowdfunding campaign. Still... the news of co-op multiplayer was good. :)

JuliusBorisovthe_spyderNimran
    edited October 2015
    I put in for $25US for just the game.

I re-read the beta access description: it's for the skirmish part of the game. And, come to think of it, they'll probably be working on the story up until release, so I'll just make a typo thread later. c:

Also, I pledged with paypal. Do you think devs get more money that way than through kickstarter? *-)

JuliusBorisov
    edited October 2015
    With 10 days left, they may not hit the PvP target. Even if there's a huge surge, it would probably just be enough for PvP and not co-op?

I'm just glad the mercenary campaign was funded. :) MechWarrior 2 Mercenaries was always my favourite of MW2 series. Having more choice in mission selection is always fun. ^_^

Nimran
    O_O

Multiplayer deathmatch has been funded!

I'm rather surprised. :) I'd like to see a per day graph of funding. It shot up right at the end.

What happens now? Funding after $2.5m will go into polishing the features and content we’ve already committed to. After that, any additional funds will go toward funding a Post-Launch Live Team that will continue developing additional features and content. First among them will be Cooperative Multiplayer, which will allow you and a friend to face-off against AI opponents.

It sounds like they're still going to try for co-op play! ^_^ I'm guessing it'll just be deathmatch-like, but that's fine by me. Huh... Maybe I'll play multiplayer again some day.

elminsterNimran
    edited November 2015
    Hey, now that the kickstarter has ended, they've opened up a pre-order ("backer kit") page? Although some of the higher end backer deals are gone (I think), the game still costs $25. *-) So... the crowdfunding doesn't seem to end with the kickstarter? Didn't Pillars of Eternity do this? Or Wastelands 2? Come to think of it, I backed Yooka-Laylee after the kickstarter.

I suppose if a player trusts a company enough to fund on kickstarter, they'd be fine with crowdfunding outside of it. Sort of takes the wind out of racing to back on kickstarter, though. :)

JuliusBorisov
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,052
    $25 here too. I think you and I have backed all of the Harebrained Kickstarters so far...

I think KS take 5%, fairly sure Paypal take around the same too.

typo_tilly
    *nods* Hong Kong and BattleTech so far. I missed the first Shadowrun kickstarter, although I did pre-order it. :)

I noticed I'm giving less money per crowdfunded project, though. Just the game is good enough.

edited April 2016
    There's been a pretty cool update! :D

They have a neat approach to initiative and character order. :)
    They have 5 turn stages. The smaller the mech, the earlier stage the mech moves in. Also, bigger mechs can choose not to move on one turn to move during any stage during the next turn!

It's dork-ily exciting. XD A neat approach, I think. c:

moody_mageNimranGozeta
    edited November 2017
    The next stage of the multiplayer beta testing is upon us! :) If you backed at the MechWarrior level or higher ($50US+), you can join in on the beta in Steam. Tell me how it is! :D

bleusteel
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 707
    Unfortunately my PC can't handle this game, it's a shame because I was really looking forward to it.
    I wish them all the best though, I imagine it's a great game. They did a very good job with Shadowrun.

typo_tillyShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    edited November 2017
    I get you. I'm planning to upgrade next year.

... What even are the system reqs? *-)

... ... The devs have said they won't announce hard system requirements until after the beta. BUT this page says minimum i3 3ghz 8GB and recommended i5 3ghz 16GB.

In this thread, people talk about performance. Maybe the first beta was poorly optimised?
    I run an aging i2500k (stock speed and cooling) with a 1.25GB Nvidia video with high setting (I do have SSD hard drive). Performance is great. NOTE: I recently upgraded to a 4GB card for another game, but I don't recall issues with the old card

I've got an i7-2600k @ 3.4 GHz... and the original beta was so painfully slow that I bought a new system. Turns out the first update to the beta made it totally playable even on my old system.

• BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 1,946
    Huh, I need to try the beta before it closes.

typo_tilly
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,848

Huh, I need to try the beta before it closes.

Do it! This game is hella fun!

typo_tilly
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,425
    I Remember the Shadow Hawk mech being based on the Dougram anime.

There's a new trailer up. :)

Here's the most updated list of mechs I could find. BUT! Because of a lawsuit (some of the mechs originated from trademarks or copyrights of a Japanese company), I heard that some of the mechs were pulled. If anyone finds an updated list, post it! :)

LIGHT
    Locust
    Commando
    Spider
    Firestarter
    Jenner
    Panther
    Urbanmech
    Raven

MEDIUM
    Cicada
    Blackjack
    Vindicator
    Centurion
    Enforcer
    Hunchback
    Trebuchet
    Griffin
    Kintaro
    Shadowhawk
    Wolverine

HEAVY
    Dragon
    Quickdraw
    Catapult
    JagerMech
    Thunderbolt
    Grasshopper
    Orion
    Marauder
    Warhammer
    Cataphract

ASSAULT
    Awesome
    Victor
    Zeus
    BattleMaster
    Stalker
    Highlander
    Banshee
    King Crab
    Atlas

ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    Battletech is now available for preorder on GOG and Steam, and will come out in April.

typo_tilly
    edited March 2018
    It's April for Windows and Mac. And a few months later for Linux! :)

Not sure how I feel about that. They managed to release the Shadowruns for Linux at launch. Why not BattleTech? In any case, I look forward to playing the game after it's been thoroughly patched. Silver lining! ;) I have tons of games to play anyway. XD

BelleSorciere

There's a new trailer up. :)

Here's the most updated list of mechs I could find. BUT! Because of a lawsuit (some of the mechs originated from trademarks or copyrights of a Japanese company), I heard that some of the mechs were pulled. If anyone finds an updated list, post it! :)

LIGHT
    Locust
    Commando
    Spider
    Firestarter
    Jenner
    Panther
    Urbanmech
    Raven

MEDIUM
    Cicada
    Blackjack
    Vindicator
    Centurion
    Enforcer
    Hunchback
    Trebuchet
    Griffin
    Kintaro
    Shadowhawk
    Wolverine

HEAVY
    Dragon
    Quickdraw
    Catapult
    JagerMech
    Thunderbolt
    Grasshopper
    Orion
    Marauder
    Warhammer
    Cataphract

ASSAULT
    Awesome
    Victor
    Zeus
    BattleMaster
    Stalker
    Highlander
    Banshee
    King Crab
    Atlas

Yes, the Shadowhawk, Griffin, Goliath and Thunderbolt are based on Dougram, Roundfacer, Crab Gunner and Hasty from the anime Fang of the Sun Dougram. I think some Battlemechs are based also on Macross.

typo_tilly
    Still, It sucks that the game is set shortly before the Clans Invasion since It means there won't be any Omnimechs.

typo_tilly
    My guess is they plan to make sequels or expansions of the clan invasion! :)

So far I'm reading the game runs and loads slowly for many people. Mixed feelings on the gameplay. The computer can move behind you and attack you in the same turn while you can't do the same? Someone said the autocannons are too powerful and mechs overheat too fast when using lasers. Anyways, will have to see how it all shakes out.

I've also heard something about the free pre-order skins. Apparently you have to be logged into Paradox's (the publisher's) website or client while you play to access them? I'm not sure if this is true or not, because I read it on GOG, and they are very anti-DRM and it might not be true. I ain't logging into a client while playing, though.

Looking forward to trying out the game in a few months once it's been patched! :3

ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    I had to log into my Paradox account in the game itself to unlock the skins.

I didn't have to log into Paradox's site as well.

typo_tilly
    If you log out of the account, can you still access the skins you unlocked?

I saw a review on GOG saying that the skins are removed if you log out, but I haven't seen anyone else say this so that's all I know.

Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner.