Skip to content

[obsolete] Big World Setup (BWS): Mod Manager for Baldur's Gate / Enhanced Edition (Trilogy)

Comments

• OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited September 2017
    I wasn't able to find anything there that answered my question.

It would be very nice if someone could simply tell me how to make a pull request to Big World Setup. Surely someone knows how to do it, because everyone else who got their mods into BWS was able to do it.

Here's what I've been doing. I go to the place where all the INI files are listed for BWS on Bitbucket. I press "Pull requests" on the side. It says, "No open pull requests" and "When a branch is ready to review, create a pull request." I click on "create a pull request" but it just takes me to an error screen that says "Access Denied." So I don't know how to create a pull request.
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    This is how the BWS readme explains it.
    • learn git basics (https://git-scm.com/videos https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2)
    • fork BWS repository using "SourceTree" or "SmartGit" or other preferred tool
    • add mods/make other changes (see FAQ in the Docs folder of the BWS package!)
    • create a pull request to submit changes from your fork back to the main project
    I'm just a BWS user for my installs, not a modder, so I've never used that stuff myself. But it looks like it simply works like Github or Bitbucket generally work.
    You make yourself a local clone of the database, you make your changes/additions locally, test them, and then push them back to the master for some administrator to approve (*merge*). They use *fork* and *pull* but that's what I understand how it works. Looks pretty much like BWFixpack does it.

My link was just meant to indicate where the people who would know it can be found.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I would like to attempt a BWS install with EET, but I am uncertain on how to proceed with that. It is not fully clear on how to accomplish that and without attempting anything just yet it raised the following questions to me.
    1. Does BWS install EET or only install mods on top of EET?
    2. If BWS does not install EET, should I install EET with EET_initialize and EET_end? Then install BWS on top of that EET install (and will it automatically uninstall EET_end and reinstall EET_end at the end of it all)?
    3. Can BWS add mods to the BGEE part of EET? Meaning, if I add no mods to BGEE before installing EET, can I still install them via BWS?
    4. Can I install minor home-made mods on top of BWS?
    lroumen said:

I would like to attempt a BWS install with EET, but I am uncertain on how to proceed with that. It is not fully clear on how to accomplish that and without attempting anything just yet it raised the following questions to me.
    1. Does BWS install EET or only install mods on top of EET?
    2. If BWS does not install EET, should I install EET with EET_initialize and EET_end? Then install BWS on top of that EET install (and will it automatically uninstall EET_end and reinstall EET_end at the end of it all)?
    3. Can BWS add mods to the BGEE part of EET? Meaning, if I add no mods to BGEE before installing EET, can I still install them via BWS?
    4. Can I install minor home-made mods on top of BWS?

1. BWS does the complete install for EET plus all your selected mods
    2. obsolete
    3. If you select EET install in BWS you just select ALL mods you want to have, BWS knows which mod to install in which part of the game and also when EET and EET_end are due. In addition it will patch automatically those mods requiring it.
    4. To install EET with BWS you need clean (i.e. unmodded) BGEE and BG2EE installs- you may need to install modmerge in BGEE of you have gog or steam version.
    You can install further mods on top of BWS. You can also install additional mods during a BWS install if you know where in sequence they should go (e.g. if the mod contains dialogues and thus needs to be installed prior EET_end). You cannot install additional mods in the BGEE part since EET will not recognise them and fail.
    If you want to install a mod somewhere during BWS sequence you can a) select a place for it in advance by telling BWS to pause before a certain mod in its sequence or b) pause BWS manually - it will finish the current mod and then wait for your actions.
    lroumenbrunardo
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Thanks! That made everything a lot clearer.
  • VeskoVesko Member Posts: 28
    edited September 2017
    So im dling mods i chose, to test bws first time, choice is tactical w some small modiffiactions, but few questions.

0) Do i need fixpack or bws does it as well, if yes when do i install it, b4 or after bws? http://www.shsforums.net/topic/56752-the-official-bwp-fixpack-thread/
    Edit: nvm got the answer, bws does it. i just had to dl it manualy.

1)i didnt see morituri kit anywhere, is it part of bws kits? if not how and when should it be installed? This is the page http://chosenofmystra.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=142 Or can it be added to BWS? i saw http://www.shsforums.net/topic/58006-big-world-setup-mod-request-template/ but my eyes hurt just watching tha form, cant figure out what to do.

2)wild mage additions is unavailable from url within bws. i found it here http://mods.jo-ge.net/bg/shaper.htm, but unsure if its the same file/mod. probably not? anyone have that file to send? I want to give Imoen or myself wild mage kit, the new spells are fantastic realy. :-)

Also Unfinished business alpha mod file is not available, the second one in test downloads section, anyone can send it?

Kudos to all the ppl who worked on bws and mods, thank you guys for your continued effort and love you put in.
    Post edited by Vesko on
    UB
    https://github.com/AngelGryph/UnfinishedBusiness/releases

Wild mage
    seems to be dead - it used to be a very bugged mod anyway.

Morituri
    the mod is not available for EE, not sure if it is maintained at all?
    Vesko
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    I have found a couple of minor bugs with mods installed with BWS. One is with Ascalon's Quest Pack and one with the Grey Clan Episode. I don't need any help myself as I have found a workaround with the help of others, but wondered where to report them.
    Thx for answer, Paula. Grimwald could you post it here for those of us who didnt get there yet?

I have found a couple of minor bugs with mods installed with BWS. One is with Ascalon's Quest Pack and one with the Grey Clan Episode. I don't need any help myself as I have found a workaround with the help of others, but wondered where to report them.

This is NOT the right thread http://www.shsforums.net/topic/56670-big-world-setup-an-attempt-to-update-the-program/ BUT it is a topic with the greatest chance that someone picks it up.

There is an uncertainty about Ascalon at this moment about who maintains it (The mod is originally a *Kerzenburg* mod, it's german, so no idea). There is a stable version of Grey Clan in EET, I just finished it myself but found no bugs. If it's another game you have the mods installed to, I don't know - there are different versions for EET and other games.
    The problem with the Ascalon mod is that Geraldo the Magnificent tells you do go to his house to the west. It is actually to the east!!!

The other problem is with The Grey Clan Episode. After talking to Jusam there is an attack by 6 Grey Clan Bandits. After killing them, a spy should turn up and send you to a house in the North to rescue another spy. He doesn't turn up in my current set-up with BWS. (He always has whenever I have installed the mod before) This is what @Artemius_I said:

It's got nothing to do with charm (which shouldn't cause any issues anyway). It simply bugs out occasionally. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. I'm guessing sometimes the bandits don't increase the global that counts their deaths when they die. I've done the fight, had the bug happen, reloaded and tried again and it worked.

The global variable is Global("BW05_TGC1","GLOBAL",2).

Whilst he says it is erratic, in my set-up he NEVER turns up. I tried 6 times. However using Shadowkeeper to set the global to 2 does rectify the problem.
    Vesko
    edited September 2017
    Thx mate. Now i got q for admins, bws bosses. im still at the stage of trying to install the game, lol. i got same problems as the guys from first page, namely i get message -

please start the game, choose the language you like, start and create a savegame.

i have gog 2.0 version, i made baldur ini file in bgee docs folder and still it wont work, same message every time. oh and im trying ee editions, someone said they arent supported yet, but it was last year. is it supported now or only original saga is moddable?

Quote - Alien @Kantu GoG/Steam version are currently broken for modding if you buy expansion(BG1EE + SoD), so even if you do an update to 2.0 you can't install mods. - Unquote, this was april 2016, any changes?
    Post edited by Vesko on
    edited September 2017
    aaah, damn, forgot to mention, i used that as well. anything else?
    PS damn = now i gotta wait again for someones reply, more hours wasted before playing. :-D

Lol, while im waiting for someones advice, im trying regular bg saga install and damn those millions of kits are amazing! shame they are not in bgee trilogy yet. it has morituri kit also! :-)
    Post edited by Vesko on
    edited September 2017
    No longer relevant.
  • PheosicsPheosics Member Posts: 16
    Vesko said:

aaah, damn, forgot to mention, i used that as well. anything else?
    PS damn = now i gotta wait again for someones reply, more hours wasted before playing. :-D

Lol, while im waiting for someones advice, im trying regular bg saga install and damn those millions of kits are amazing! shame they are not in bgee trilogy yet. it has morituri kit also! :-)

And you have started the game and created a save before you tried using BWS?
    edited September 2017
    Lol another thing i forgot to mention, yes i did all those steps. made save and quick save for all, bg1ee, bg2ee, tobee. I just finished all day long install of classic BGT and it works, w some errors but works. eekeeper crashes if i open save file from it, shadowkeeper works, but fonts are small and appart from playing screen, main menus are all small. I just want to install ee trilogy and enjoy it. sheesh.
    Edit so i just tried ee again, even started black pits 1 & 2, saved, same...

Cant tell what im doing wrong, smtn obviously am. ok ill write steps.
    install bg1 & 2 ee into d/games/ folder, start, save all games, merge, try bws. yeah and create baldur.ini in
    C:\Users\Lionheart\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\

which is now not 0 bytes but has 358 bytes or smtn. Right?
    Post edited by Vesko on
    Wise_Grimwald
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    edited September 2017
    I was just trying to get a fresh install going with BWS and BG2/EET plus some different mods but getting failures downloading EET-master.zip. When I tell BWS to (re)download it, wget errors out after getting about 60m out of 277m. I downloaded it manually and verified with 7-zip that it opens and works fine, but BWS still won't recognize it, says wrong size/version. I replaced wget.exe with a newer version, some issue. Any ideas on how to get past this? I chose the recommended install and then unchecked a few things I didn't want.

Update: Got it to work, possibly the AV scanner came back on after restarting to disable UAC. This makes me unhappy on multiple levels, this should NOT be necessary by this time. It is not like AV scanners and UAC came out yesterday. :(
    Post edited by mf2112 on
    Wise_Grimwald
    edited September 2017
    so ive got it to 2 things. ive chosen bgee trilogy in bws(step 3), thats why i couldnt install and i got that message. i installed bws with just bg2ee/ee trilogy option, all went well, BUT, the game is unchanged! that is bg2ee starts, is unmodded, bgee wont start. and once i use mod merge, if i start
    Start BiG World Setup - Update If Needed, i get this strange message -
    HEAD is now at b5b4f74 Sandrah mod part renamed
    press any key to continue
    - hmm, wheres the any key :-)
    and again the message about savegame will come if i try bws.

step 4 shows the path to bgee-data-0766, but i DONT HAVE THAT FOLDER. only data folder, but no subfolder, like in the post pic.

is bws SUPPOSED to be used w bgee only, not bgee trilogy? im really getting irritated and pissed.

thx to all for advices and suggestions, but i just dont get what am i doing wrong.

lol and by pure coincidence, my install path is the same as instructions -
    D:\Games\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\
    D:\Games\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition\
  • PheosicsPheosics Member Posts: 16
    @Vesko, so I am pretty sure that what you need to do is install a clean copy of Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II, then use modmerge (only necessary if you have the SoD DLC from GoG or Steam), then create save games for both games, then start BWS and select Baldur's Gate II/Enhanced Edition Trilogy. On the next screen you will have a place to say where your Baldur's Gate I is installed and where your Baldur's Gate II is installed. Then you should be able to continue with the installation.

I never had to make a baldur.ini file in my installation.

I'm not sure why you are having so much trouble, but I can tell you that BWS definitely works with the EE games and the EE Trilogy.
    PaulaMigrateWise_Grimwald
    edited September 2017
    Pheosics said:

@Vesko, so I am pretty sure that what you need to do is install a clean copy of Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II, then use modmerge (only necessary if you have the SoD DLC from GoG or Steam), then create save games for both games, then start BWS and select Baldur's Gate II/Enhanced Edition Trilogy. On the next screen you will have a place to say where your Baldur's Gate I is installed and where your Baldur's Gate II is installed. Then you should be able to continue with the installation.

I'm not sure why you are having so much trouble, but I can tell you that BWS definitely works with the EE games and the EE Trilogy.

Correct.
    And mind that EET requires v2,3 and SoD. Most of the mods for the standalone games these days also require v 2.3 of the games.
    Wise_Grimwald
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    edited September 2017
    I set up an EET instance using the recommended option in BWS, and then after installed jimfix and Item Randomizer in mode 1. Jimfix took, but Item Randomizer doesn't seem to have randomized anything? My concern is that it hooked into the BG2 scripts instead of the BG1 ones, which means half of the randomizations will end up in BG1 territory...

When using Mode 1 with EET, should I install Item Randomizer to BG:EE before starting BWS?
    Wise_Grimwald
    Pokota said:

I set up an EET instance using the recommended option in BWS, and then after installed jimfix and Item Randomizer in mode 1. Jimfix took, but Item Randomizer doesn't seem to have randomized anything? My concern is that it hooked into the BG2 scripts instead of the BG1 ones, which means half of the randomizations will end up in BG1 territory...

When using Mode 1 with EET, should I install Item Randomizer to BG:EE before starting BWS?

Did you read this? http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=25430
    The mod is still highly experimental when it comes to EET.
    Wise_Grimwald
    edited September 2017

Pheosics said:

Correct.
    And mind that EET requires v2,3 and SoD. Most of the mods for the standalone games these days also require v 2.3 of the games.
    Saved! i had 2.0 instead of 2.3, updated, tried, it - FINALLY i can mod it! love you guys, thx, but realy thx for the help! :-D

So, now im thinking:
    1)can i post install other kits that arent in ee version? and how? there are great fighter kits but only in regular bg saga option, ee is poor.
    Edit: nvm, i can install kits post bws, ill see which work. :-)

2) if i install tactical w sandrah and all those gazillion mega mods (im interested in playing w sandra to see how the story will be neriched, explained to the end), how much should i limit xp to? should i remove xp cap? is she worth installing all big mods for? i know she cant be installed wo them.
    Post edited by Vesko on
    Wise_Grimwald
    Ah, that thread explains a fair bit. I'll have to register at G3 and report directly to Wisp then. At least it's a known "issue".
    Vesko said:

Pheosics said:

Correct.
    Saved! i had 2.0 instead of 2.3, updated, tried, it - FINALLY i can mod it! love you guys, thx, but realy thx for the help! :-D

So, now im thinking:
    1)can i post install other kits that arent in ee version? and how? there are great fighter kits but only in regular bg saga option, ee is poor.
    Edit: nvm, i can install kits post bws, ill see which work. :-)

2) if i install tactical w sandrah and all those gazillion mega mods (im interested in playing w sandra to see how the story will be neriched, explained to the end), how much should i limit xp to? should i remove xp cap? is she worth installing all big mods for? i know she cant be installed wo them.
    !) There are quite a few kits available for EET - not sure if all of the old ones really work throughout the whole game, even if you can technically install them. I would go for those designed for the new game.

2) I have such a mega install myself and used these EET_Tweaks components
    2002, 2041, 2052, 2062 with good results. Note that the EET versions of the big mods have been re-balanced as well. You enter BG2 with still reasonable stats and levels and if you install SCS as well, the experience is good. Of course, this is just my personal view,
    VeskoWise_Grimwald
    Oh wow nice and clean answer for 2. then ill try it, any recommendation on order in which to do those mega mods, which chapter, which (party) level? or is there a thread for that? Might be asking bit too much, but would be nice to fight progressively harder instead of over/under powered.

This is closest i found for advice, might help those that dont choose tactical:
    http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28485

1 - not what i wanted to hear but a sound advice, thx ill follow it.
    Wise_Grimwald
    Vesko said:

Oh wow nice and clean answer for 2. then ill try it, any recommendation on order in which to do those mega mods, which chapter, which (party) level? or is there a thread for that? Might be asking bit too much, but would be nice to fight progressively harder instead of over/under powered.

No need to worry, you don't need to search those mods but they'll find you in time, i.e. they will trigger at the point in game they were designed for. Most of the time it fits unless you take some really weird route through the game. You can postpone any of them if you feel you are not yet ready.
    Vesko
    edited September 2017
    I figured out why I was having trouble with Item Randomizer all this time.

There hasn't been a full release since BG:EE came out, just interim releases. The version I was using was the one available from the Gibberlings3 main page, version 6.8 - the interim releases, particularly the most recent one, all seem to be up-to-date.
    Wise_Grimwald
  • RolandoArnimanRolandoArniman Member Posts: 17
    Is there a way to integrate mods with BG:EE and BG2:EE separately, without combining it into EET?

I understand that with BG:EE you have a first option - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. For BG2:EE should I just choose the second one - Baldur's Gate II: EE / Enhanced Edition Trilogy and just deselect the first directory space?