Skip to content

[obsolete] Big World Setup (BWS): Mod Manager for Baldur's Gate / Enhanced Edition (Trilogy)

Comments

• Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    In many city areas e.g. Government district or Docks Haegan spawns and walks toward us. Crashes seem to occur quickly when I enter many areas from mods e.g. Shadow Thief headquarters from Alternatives, Kulyok's Dungeon Crawl Island, or the inside of Orgoth's Tower from Darkest Day.
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    Mantis37 said:

In many city areas e.g. Government district or Docks Haegan spawns and walks toward us. Crashes seem to occur quickly when I enter many areas from mods e.g. Shadow Thief headquarters from Alternatives, Kulyok's Dungeon Crawl Island, or the inside of Orgoth's Tower from Darkest Day.

Ok - I found him and three clones of him in the master area. I removed them. Don't know if that helps but worth a try.
    LudovikH
    Thanks! I'll try that later :).
    Seems to be working for now, thanks very much! I owe you one, which tool did you use to deal with the problem?
    Mantis37 said:

Seems to be working for now, thanks very much! I owe you one, which tool did you use to deal with the problem?

NearInfinity
    Mantis37LudovikH
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    Help!!

Horror of horrors. None of the characters that I am supposed to meet after my return to Baldur's Gate are there.

No smuggler near the bridge.
    No harper to give hints as to what to do next etc.
    Unless this is sorted it looks like I won't be able to finish the game?

I went to Duke Eltan and he asks: "What are you doing here? There is much to do."

It is as if the game hasn't registered the fact that I have finished Candlekeep, though I did get the extra Bhaal power for doing so.

I don't know if this is relevant, but Diarmid ran outside due to his being injured with cloudkill before I had my dialogue with him.

At least I have plenty to do at present: ; Werewolf Island; Durlag's Tower; The Drizzt Saga. Having thought about it, it looks as if I need to change a Global Variable. Which it is, I have no idea.

Weidu.log and Game attatched but renamed from *.gam to *.txt

In the first instance if you could inform me if a variable needs to be changed and if so to what, I would be grateful.

It may be that others will have the same problem, so if what has caused the problem could also be discovered, that also would be great.
    edited January 2018

Help!!

Horror of horrors. None of the characters that I am supposed to meet after my return to Baldur's Gate are there.

No smuggler near the bridge.
    No harper to give hints as to what to do next etc.
    Unless this is sorted it looks like I won't be able to finish the game?

I went to Duke Eltan and he asks: "What are you doing here? There is much to do."

It is as if the game hasn't registered the fact that I have finished Candlekeep, though I did get the extra Bhaal power for doing so.

I don't know if this is relevant, but Diarmid ran outside due to his being injured with cloudkill before I had my dialogue with him.

At least I have plenty to do at present: ; Werewolf Island; Durlag's Tower; The Drizzt Saga. Having thought about it, it looks as if I need to change a Global Variable. Which it is, I have no idea.

Weidu.log and Game attatched but renamed from *.gam to *.txt

In the first instance if you could inform me if a variable needs to be changed and if so to what, I would be grateful.

It may be that others will have the same problem, so if what has caused the problem could also be discovered, that also would be great.

The issue was indeed caused by Diarmid running away before starting his talk.
    Do this
    Go back to Candlekeep area, anywhere outside will do
    C:SetGlobal("Teth","GLOBAL",2)
    You should now get the chapter change that is required to play on.

If you want to get all your journal entries updated, use this command instead
    Go back to Candlekeep area, anywhere outside will do
    C:CreateCreature("diarmid")
    and talk to the guy.
    @PaulaMigrate Thank you very much. My party has done Ice Island and is currently on Werewolf Island and will shortly be leaving, so when I get back I will do as you suggest.

To avoid future problems I won't attack Diarmid. I was trying to see if I could kill him. Probably not a good idea!! I am always on the lookout for doing things differently and in this situation doing things as the devs expect is probably the best option.
  • DymeDefDymeDef Member Posts: 66
    edited January 2018
    I'm trying to set up my EET but in BWS I'm noticing that there's no Tome and Blood and possibly other mods that I remember seeing on the individual games mod lists, but not on the EET one (while also being quoted as compatible on the EET comparability thread, like TnB). Is there a way to maybe force certain mods to show up no matter the game chosen if we know they are compatible (like TnB and EET). Also, I noticed a couple mods aren't updated to their latest while using BWS, I don't expect you guys to be there for every single mods updates as they roll out, how would I go about updating them properly myself in between?

Thanks for this amazing tool, really makes things vastly easier to manage mods. Also I have a fix for the Pack Mule mod that I found on I think it was this forum that I can link you later that fixes the mushroom being the like if you haven't gotten it already as it was burried.

Tried editing the files and the admin sections but nothing I do allows me to see Tome and Blood in BWS if I am attempting to install EET but I know its compatible as the list was updated 16 hours ago and its still on there. Not sure what else to do to try and make it show up, but Im going to keep fiddling around.
    Post edited by DymeDef on
    DymeDef said:

@ALIEN I believe it was you that works on this and is active in the community, I'm trying to set up my EET but in BWS I'm noticing that there's no Tome and Blood and possibly other mods that I remember seeing on the individual games mod lists, but not on the EET one (while also being quoted as compatible on the EET comparability thread, like TnB). Is there a way to maybe force certain mods to show up no matter the game chosen if we know they are compatible (like TnB and EET). Also, I noticed a couple mods aren't updated to their latest while using BWS, I don't expect you guys to be there for every single mods updates as they roll out, how would I go about updating them properly myself in between?

Thanks for this amazing tool, really makes things vastly easier to manage mods. Also I have a fix for the Pack Mule mod that I found on I think it was this forum that I can link you later that fixes the mushroom being the like if you haven't gotten it already as it was burried.

1. If you want to provide notice on updated mods this is best done here http://www.shsforums.net/topic/56670-big-world-setup-an-attempt-to-update-the-program/

2. There is a slight difference between EET comparibility, which simply means a mod technically works in EET, and the mods in BWS which provides an install sequence and conflict detection/resolution/ dependencies. If mods are missing in BWS it may mean they are not compatible with other mods or it may mean that nobody yet took the effort to deal with their integration. There is a guide of how to add a mod to BWS http://www.shsforums.net/topic/58006-big-world-setup-mod-request-template/ and some information https://bitbucket.org/BigWorldSetup/bigworldsetup under headline "How do I contribute". BWS is a community tool and only works if people contribute to it.
    edited January 2018

DymeDef said:

@ALIEN I believe it was you that works on this and is active in the community, I'm trying to set up my EET but in BWS I'm noticing that there's no Tome and Blood and possibly other mods that I remember seeing on the individual games mod lists, but not on the EET one (while also being quoted as compatible on the EET comparability thread, like TnB). Is there a way to maybe force certain mods to show up no matter the game chosen if we know they are compatible (like TnB and EET). Also, I noticed a couple mods aren't updated to their latest while using BWS, I don't expect you guys to be there for every single mods updates as they roll out, how would I go about updating them properly myself in between?

1. If you want to provide notice on updated mods this is best done here http://www.shsforums.net/topic/56670-big-world-setup-an-attempt-to-update-the-program/

2. There is a slight difference between EET comparibility, which simply means a mod technically works in EET, and the mods in BWS which provides an install sequence and conflict detection/resolution/ dependencies. If mods are missing in BWS it may mean they are not compatible with other mods or it may mean that nobody yet took the effort to deal with their integration. There is a guide of how to add a mod to BWS http://www.shsforums.net/topic/58006-big-world-setup-mod-request-template/ and some information https://bitbucket.org/BigWorldSetup/bigworldsetup under headline "How do I contribute". BWS is a community tool and only works if people contribute to it.
    Tome and Blood is already in BWS though, and its flagged as not compatible with EET. Which according to the community github repo that mod is compatible with EET and needs to be installed during the second phase of the install. I have tried to edit it out of the Game.ini (only one that had anything restricting tome and blood was the BG2EE one, so I took it out of that files list), as well as in the admin section I removed the flag of it being incompatible to EET but when I try and find it, its not there. Even after closing and reopening the program. Tome and Blood is also in the BG2EE select file under the EET line and in the proper spot where it normally would be.

All I need is to know how to unflag it as incompatible with EET and make it show up on the window for choosing. Its reported compatible with what BWS says its incompatible with. Problem is, there isnt really anything I can find about how to do this.

Yeah, I have literally no idea how to do this. I have tried literally every single thing I can, in every file I have in my BWS folder I ahve checked for Tome and Blood and anything restricting it I removed, but then it just regenerates it when ran with update or spits an error if I dont update on startup. I have removed it from the admin list like 50 different times, and randomly it goes back, and other times it just stays removed but will not under any circumstances show up in the window for selecting mods.

I just have no idea what else to try as I have exhausted everything I can find and there is literally zero documentation on this. I would love to contribute, but I can't really do so because what I want to contribute isnt talked about as far as I can see. And someone obviously knows how to do it, as the list has been updated before. If whoever is updating BWS could just take a look over at the compatability list it was updated like a day ago maybe sooner now. I have no Git knowledge nor would it matter as again, this isnt documented anywhere for any random person to do as far as I can find.

Tome and Blood and the Pale Master Kit are all I need to wrap up my install order and they're both flagged as incompatible with EET in BWS but are on the EET comparability list under the BG2EE part of the install. I have tried to make them work but can't.
    Post edited by DymeDef on
    DymeDef said:

DymeDef said:

Tome and Blood is already in BWS though, and its flagged as not compatible with EET. Which according to the community github repo that mod is compatible with EET and needs to be installed during the second phase of the install. I have tried to edit it out of the Game.ini (only one that had anything restricting tome and blood was the BG2EE one, so I took it out of that files list), as well as in the admin section I removed the flag of it being incompatible to EET but when I try and find it, its not there. Even after closing and reopening the program. Tome and Blood is also in the BG2EE select file under the EET line and in the proper spot where it normally would be.

All I need is to know how to unflag it as incompatible with EET and make it show up on the window for choosing. Its reported compatible with what BWS says its incompatible with. Problem is, there isnt really anything I can find about how to do this.

Yeah, I have literally no idea how to do this. I have tried literally every single thing I can, in every file I have in my BWS folder I ahve checked for Tome and Blood and anything restricting it I removed, but then it just regenerates it when ran with update or spits an error if I dont update on startup. I have removed it from the admin list like 50 different times, and randomly it goes back, and other times it just stays removed but will not under any circumstances show up in the window for selecting mods.

I just have no idea what else to try as I have exhausted everything I can find and there is literally zero documentation on this. I would love to contribute, but I can't really do so because what I want to contribute isnt talked about as far as I can see. And someone obviously knows how to do it, as the list has been updated before. If whoever is updating BWS could just take a look over at the compatability list it was updated like a day ago maybe sooner now. I have no Git knowledge nor would it matter as again, this isnt documented anywhere for any random person to do as far as I can find.

Tome and Blood and the Pale Master Kit are all I need to wrap up my install order and they're both flagged as incompatible with EET in BWS but are on the EET comparability list under the BG2EE part of the install. I have tried to make them work but can't.
    You can either just install them manually after your BWS install.
    Or you need to tweak both the game.ini in Big World Setup/config/BWP and Big World Setup/config/BG2EE and remove EET restrictions there. I don't know about all these other restrictions and dependencies there are in those files for those two mods. They're not easy stuff to configure and I'm just BWS user not expert, so no idea if that breaks other stuff afterwards.
    Yeah I think Im going to just say oh well and do it manually, I know about where it needs to go so I should be fine. Thanks for the attempt at helping. I think Ill just leave it to whoever is working on the project to it as this will likely be my last install for a while.

DymeDef said:

Yeah I think Im going to just say oh well and do it manually, I know about where it needs to go so I should be fine. Thanks for the attempt at helping. I think Ill just leave it to whoever is working on the project to it as this will likely be my last install for a while.

Understandable.
    However, with that attitude things may not be improved at all. I don't care either to report such stuff to BWS people just because I don't use these mods.
    @PaulaMigrate I have done what you suggested. I first created Diarmid who gave the same conversation as he did previously when I exited Candlekeep.

I went to Baldur's Gate and nothing had changed.

I therefore returned to Candlekeep and tried the global settings change that you suggested.

That brought up the chapter ending video too but still no smugler, harper, flaming fist who are looking for me etc.

Here are my current game and save files with changed file extensions.

I am currently going with the soultaker to Ulgoth's Beard after which I intend to try the Drizzt Saga.

Have you any further suggestions?
    edited January 2018
    @PaulaMigrate I have done what you suggested. I first created Diarmid who gave the same conversation as he did previously when I exited Candlekeep.

I therefore returned to Candlekeep and tried the global settings change that you suggested.

That brought up the chapter ending video too but still no smugler, harper, flaming fist who are looking for me etc.

I am currently going with the soultaker to Ulgoth's Beard after which I intend to try the Drizzt Saga.

These files might be better than the ones above. I only changed the variable on these, and the party composition is the same. Gavin disappeared in the games in the post above.

These files might be better than the ones above. I only changed the variable on these, and the party composition is the same. Gavin disappeared in the games in the post above.

Just a question - what game are you playing anyway? According to your save, you are in Chapter 10, no wonder that nothing works as expected.

If this is BGEE or EET, C:SetGlobal("Chapter","Global",7)
    edited January 2018
    I am playing BG1EE with SoD installed.

I think that I was in Chapter 8 when I returned to Candlekeep to set the global: SetGlobal("Teth","GLOBAL",2)
    At that point I got a cutscene.
    Upon leaving I slept in the area where Gorion was ambushed. At that point I got another cut scene.
    I got another one shortly afterwards, not having done anything significant.

In my journal under chapter nine, there is no record of me having done anything. It is COMPLETELY empty.
    Under Chapter eight there is nothing significant, though there are entries.

Under chapter 10 there are entries concerning recovering Soultaker.

I am currently in the nine hells having started the Drizzt Saga. I am completely in the dark as to why I have skipped chapters.

When/if I emerge alive from the nine hells, should I set the global: C:SetGlobal("Chapter","Global",7) in order to enter Baldur's Gate at the correct point in the story? Or should I set that global immediately?

Despite this problem, I have enjoyed this game much more than my usual games. Talk about completionist! I expect the last bit of the game will be a bit too easy, but it won't take long to do, and once I get into SoD I expect that my experience will be drastically cut back to what it should be. The Drizzt Saga boosted the level cap which considering the enemies I have to face is fair enough.!

I am playing BG1EE with SoD installed.

I think that I was in Chapter 8 when I returned to Candlekeep to set the global: SetGlobal("Teth","GLOBAL",2)
    At that point I got a cutscene.
    Upon leaving I slept in the area where Gorion was ambushed. At that point I got another cut scene.
    I got another one shortly afterwards, not having done anything significant.

In my journal under chapter nine, there is no record of me having done anything. It is COMPLETELY empty.
    Under Chapter eight there is nothing significant, though there are entries.

Under chapter 10 there are entries concerning recovering Soultaker.

I am currently in the nine hells having started the Drizzt Saga. I am completely in the dark as to why I have skipped chapters.

When/if I emerge alive from the nine hells, should I set the global: C:SetGlobal("Chapter","Global",7) in order to enter Baldur's Gate at the correct point in the story? Or should I set that global immediately?

Do it right away. And maybe do a check for chapter global in case you still have trouble.
    There probably was something in your game that used IncrementGlobal instead of SetGlobal and that was repeated for whatever reason, so you skipped chapters.
    Wise_Grimwald
    edited January 2018
    @PaulaMigrate

Thanks. I'll do that.

EDIT

Thanks, I did it just before exiting the nine hells and the smuggler has turned up, so I expect that it is all sorted now. :)

Now that I know that the game is sorted, I now have to decide whether to just carry on or to go back and do the Icewinddale part of the Drizzt Saga.

I'm tempted to do the former just to avoid any other bugs in the game. After all, experience is not going to be a problem, but I would be interested to see if I could do everything in BG no reload.

@PaulaMigrate

Thanks. I'll do that.

EDIT

Thanks, I did it just before exiting the nine hells and the smuggler has turned up, so I expect that it is all sorted now. :)

Now that I know that the game is sorted, I now have to decide whether to just carry on or to go back and do the Icewinddale part of the Drizzt Saga.

I'm tempted to do the former just to avoid any other bugs in the game. After all, experience is not going to be a problem, but I would be interested to see if I could do everything in BG no reload.
    I have no idea about Drizzt in your game constellation. In my EET version, you can accept the Icewind quest, get access to the first area and come and go via worldmap as you wish. I don't know if BGEE/SoD works the same, never play the segregated games.
    Bleriot
    edited January 2018
    @PaulaMigrate Thanks for the information. I'll test it. You couldn't do that in Tutu and I assumed it was the same and post when I find out.

EDIT

Tested and you can indeed return from Icewind dale from the starting point of the quest at least. I haven't tested it further though, but you can progress directly from there to the dragon caves. The old method was VERY linear but it was OK. I can understand the modders thinking that you can't hop to and fro from Icewind dale to the Sword Coast and back on a whim. I have come to the conclusion that it is installing the worldmap that makes the difference.

Having thought about my problem about Diarmid I think that I have worked out what went wrong.

He spoke to me both inside Candlekeep as he fled and outside Candlekeep also. This would have progressed the chapter too far with the effect mentioned above. Then when I used the global command C:SetGlobal("Teth","GLOBAL",2) it progressed the chapter yet again compounding the problem which was only solved through your suggestion of C:SetGlobal("Chapter","Global",7).
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
  • TygaranTygaran Member Posts: 41
    edited January 2018
    I reran BWS for a new runthru of the series, and it looks like some mods have vanished form the menu, DSOTSC, NSOTSC, Sandrah for EET, Sirene for BG1 to name the ones I most noticed we gone. Looks like the recent Jan 22 release did something odd. ANyway to roll back the versioning a bit? Or instructions on how to manually edit files to get those things back?

EDIT: Nevermind. It looks liek my cat just walk across the keyboard at the wrong time... BWS lost track of the BG1 install directory.. =/

Odd tho.. after including the BG1 directory, a couple thing vanished anyway.. Yasraena and Keep Yoshimo
    Post edited by Tygaran on
    Tygaran said:

I reran BWS for a new runthru of the series, and it looks like some mods have vanished form the menu, DSOTSC, NSOTSC, Sandrah for EET, Sirene for BG1 to name the ones I most noticed we gone. Looks like the recent Jan 22 release did something odd. ANyway to roll back the versioning a bit? Or instructions on how to manually edit files to get those things back?

EDIT: Nevermind. It looks liek my cat just walk across the keyboard at the wrong time... BWS lost track of the BG1 install directory.. =/

Odd tho.. after including the BG1 directory, a couple thing vanished anyway.. Yasraena and Keep Yoshimo

What do you mean by *vanish*? If you go to the screen with the large mod list you should have all that BWS supports for e.g. EET. If you de-select BGEE from an EET install, the BWS treats this as BG2EE only and removes mods like NTotSC from your selection since they happen in BG1 part of the game.
  • bigbluepawbigbluepaw Member Posts: 4
    Having trouble getting BWS to run.

I have installed BGEE through GOG. I have downloaded and run MODMERGE from the BGEE installation directory. Afterwards, when I go to the data directory, there is no 0766 directory.

Am I doing something wrong?

Having trouble getting BWS to run.

I have installed BGEE through GOG. I have downloaded and run MODMERGE from the BGEE installation directory. Afterwards, when I go to the data directory, there is no 0766 directory.

Am I doing something wrong?

You start BWS - you select your language - next screen you select your game - next comes a screen asking you where your game is and you point it to your BGEE directory - then you select the mods of your choice, Why would it ask for some 0766? That is just an example in the instruction.
  • bigbluepawbigbluepaw Member Posts: 4
    OK. I was running into an error, so I was looking for what I had done wrong.

Followed your instructions. I get the same error. It asks me to run MODMERGE, which I have already run.

Any guidance for that?

OK. I was running into an error, so I was looking for what I had done wrong.

Followed your instructions. I get the same error. It asks me to run MODMERGE, which I have already run.

Any guidance for that?

The very first post in this thread has the detailed instruction. If you follow that from a clean game install you should be fine.
  • TygaranTygaran Member Posts: 41

Tygaran said:

What do you mean by *vanish*? If you go to the screen with the large mod list you should have all that BWS supports for e.g. EET. If you de-select BGEE from an EET install, the BWS treats this as BG2EE only and removes mods like NTotSC from your selection since they happen in BG1 part of the game.
    When BWS wasn't recognizing my BG1 install, the Yasraena mod and the Keep Yoshimo mod were listed as options. However, when I fixed it so BWS recognized both BG1 and BG2, those two mods no longer appeared in the list of available mods. My guess would be the version of BWS I have recognizes those two as BG2EE compatible, but not as EET compatible for some reason.
    Tygaran said:

Tygaran said:

When BWS wasn't recognizing my BG1 install, the Yasraena mod and the Keep Yoshimo mod were listed as options. However, when I fixed it so BWS recognized both BG1 and BG2, those two mods no longer appeared in the list of available mods. My guess would be the version of BWS I have recognizes those two as BG2EE compatible, but not as EET compatible for some reason.
    Correct, those are not EET compatible (reason = author not providing an EET version and not allowing others to do it, there are some like that).
    So BWS does the right thing here.
    Bleriot