Skip to content

[obsolete] Big World Setup (BWS): Mod Manager for Baldur's Gate / Enhanced Edition (Trilogy)

Comments

• UGA2473UGA2473 Member Posts: 1
    So i keep getting the error please start game select a language and make a save file. Which ive done and ive also made a baldur.ini text file in my bg ee folder and still nothing. Plz Help
  • DHAMDHAM Member Posts: 11
    I purchased a DVD boxed set of BG & BG2 with all the expansions - I guess it's the trilogy. I haven't installed yet... I want to MOD the trilogy together, play the entire game in the big world trilogy setup... I'm not sure if SoD is included... There's 4 games in the DVD package...

Anyhow, it was cheap getting it on DVD, but I'm wondering if I'll be better off getting the EE trilogy... Any advice?
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    DHAM said:

I purchased a DVD boxed set of BG & BG2 with all the expansions - I guess it's the trilogy. I haven't installed yet... I want to MOD the trilogy together, play the entire game in the big world trilogy setup... I'm not sure if SoD is included... There's 4 games in the DVD package...

Anyhow, it was cheap getting it on DVD, but I'm wondering if I'll be better off getting the EE trilogy... Any advice?

Does it say *Enhanced Edition* anywhere? And does it have SoD?

If the answers are no, you probably have the *classic* game and your option to play the game as one is *BGT*.
    If you have the EE, your option is *EET*.

So find out first.
  • DHAMDHAM Member Posts: 11
    It's the CLASSIC tagged as 4-in-1 PC DVD boxed set, including "Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast, Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn and Baldur's GateII: Throne of Bhaal"...

Thanks for helping... Any more tips, I appreciate.
    edited February 2018
    DHAM said:

It's the CLASSIC tagged as 4-in-1 PC DVD boxed set, including "Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast, Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn and Baldur's GateII: Throne of Bhaal"...

You aim for BGT in this case, the most recent help is in the links below, otherwise the SHS forum overflows with 15 years of information on that topic. It's not something you find much about in this forum here, as it's more focused on the new generation.

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/59510-bws-without-ee/#entry597741
    http://www.shsforums.net/topic/59470-bwpv17/?hl=bwpv17
  • VheissuVheissu Member Posts: 13
    I'm having an issue with the Edwin romance mod in an EET install. Whenever he initiates dialogue in SoD, it is blank and the only response is "Edin, you look odd." Which, if I remember correctly, was a PID option in the Edwin romance in case his avatar got messed up during the sex change shenanigans.

He is constantly initiating this dialogue, probably because the game is trying to advance his conversations and quest in SoD, but the right variable isn't being checked.

I'm thinking the easiest solution is to advance whatever global is reponsible for his dialogue. What would that be, or how can I find it? I'm open to other suggestions of course.

This installation has otherwise been bug and crash free, apart from one other problem- SoD Jaheira's voice set is playing voice clips from late in ToB when selecting her or giving orders. Wouldn't mind a solution to that, but it's not exactly a gamestopping bug either.
    edited February 2018
    Vheissu said:

I'm having an issue with the Edwin romance mod in an EET install. Whenever he initiates dialogue in SoD, it is blank and the only response is "Edin, you look odd." Which, if I remember correctly, was a PID option in the Edwin romance in case his avatar got messed up during the sex change shenanigans.

He is constantly initiating this dialogue, probably because the game is trying to advance his conversations and quest in SoD, but the right variable isn't being checked.

I'm thinking the easiest solution is to advance whatever global is reponsible for his dialogue. What would that be, or how can I find it? I'm open to other suggestions of course.

This installation has otherwise been bug and crash free, apart from one other problem- SoD Jaheira's voice set is playing voice clips from late in ToB when selecting her or giving orders. Wouldn't mind a solution to that, but it's not exactly a gamestopping bug either.

You can try to solve it by extracting attached file into BG2EE/override.
    I found it in a post where someone had similar banter trouble during SoD and it was because of wrong file assignment. Maybe you have the same.

If it doesn't help, it may be better to ask at EET forum at Gibberlings3, this is not really a BWS issue.
  • VheissuVheissu Member Posts: 13
    Thanks, I'll give it a shot. You don't have a link to the thread by any chance?

I'll ask in the G3 forum if it doesn't work. Megamod conflicts aren't really anyone's issue, but I'm hopeful there are knowledgeable folks here or one of the other forums who might know something helpful.
    Vheissu said:

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. You don't have a link to the thread by any chance?

I'll ask in the G3 forum if it doesn't work. Megamod conflicts aren't really anyone's issue, but I'm hopeful there are knowledgeable folks here or one of the other forums who might know something helpful.

It was here http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=29221&page=1#entry258720

To ask about EET, go here http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showforum=195 and look at the sub-threads to find one for your topic.

If nothing else helps, I usually misuse the Sandrah mod's forum, because that modder seems to know almost everything about EET and she is usually very quick and helpful to answer.
  • StoneSwordsStoneSwords Member Posts: 180
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm modding SoD for the first time, and was just wondering what option I pick at the beginning since I didn't see SoD as an available option. I assume I just pick the BG:EE option?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm modding SoD for the first time, and was just wondering what option I pick at the beginning since I didn't see SoD as an available option. I assume I just pick the BG:EE option?

Yes. Mod components containing an extra SoD contents will be automatically detected.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,852
    DHAM said:

Some have recommended EET which some players like. Others prefer Tutu. For years some players played Tutu and others BGT. It's a matter of preference. I liked Tutu.
  • BloodstoneBloodstone Member Posts: 99
    I rely upon Steam to download and set up my whole series which is BGEE, SoD, BGEE2, so it installs them wherever it's default is, which in this case is the ( program(86)/steam/steamapps/common) folder. As I'm reading thru Big World Set up it's telling me my game files shouldn't be in there? So do I tell Steam to install them somewhere else? Any suggestions on best place to put them?

I'm currently on a play thru of my Vanilla BGEE and i'm finishing that up then was gonna do Big World. I know I need to run modmerge but didn't know if there was an easier or better place to put the program files. Sorry to sound so stupid, I'm an old man gamer, not a modder, but you guys are the best!

I rely upon Steam to download and set up my whole series which is BGEE, SoD, BGEE2, so it installs them wherever it's default is, which in this case is the ( program(86)/steam/steamapps/common) folder. As I'm reading thru Big World Set up it's telling me my game files shouldn't be in there? So do I tell Steam to install them somewhere else? Any suggestions on best place to put them?

I'm currently on a play thru of my Vanilla BGEE and i'm finishing that up then was gonna do Big World. I know I need to run modmerge but didn't know if there was an easier or better place to put the program files. Sorry to sound so stupid, I'm an old man gamer, not a modder, but you guys are the best!

Installation within Program Files or Program Files (x86) is not recommended due to the potential for O/S related issues (e.g. UAC trouble). Unless you are sure that you have full UAC permissions consider moving BG:EE and BG2:EE outside this directory (the game is DRM free, so there are no problems with doing so).
    quote from EET install instructions.
    Example, I have C:BaldurEET/BGEE and C:BaldurEET/BG2EE
    In addition I have a separate directory for BWS where the downloads and backups go as well. It's important that BWS is NOT in a game directory.
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,271
    edited February 2018

Since windows 8.1 installing anything at C:\ has the same restrictions as installing into C:\Program Files. BWS instructions forbid it very clearly:
    Forbidden folders for you game installation, don't install you games here:
    "C:\< anything >..."

Unfortunately, since BWS can't be extended further, auto check can't be implemented.
    ALIEN said:

Since windows 8.1 installing anything at C:\ has the same restrictions as installing into C:\Program Files. BWS instructions forbid it very clearly:
    Forbidden folders for you game installation, don't install you games here:
    "C:\< anything >..."

Unfortunately, since BWS can't be extended further, auto check can't be implemented.
    I have windows 10 and the only restricted parts are programs and programs(x86). I have a successful EET install with BWS and it's not the first one.
    Some rumors don't get better by repeating them constantly.
  • FionnFionn Member Posts: 4
    Maybe I'm being thick but EET needs patch 2.3.xxxx but there is nowhere to download the patch? Can anyone tell me how I download the patch?
    Fionn said:

Maybe I'm being thick but EET needs patch 2.3.xxxx but there is nowhere to download the patch? Can anyone tell me how I download the patch?

This is the game version of the BGEE and BG2EE original games you need as a baseline for an EET install. EET works with any original game version upwards from 2.3.67.3, i.e. either those or the 2.5 udgrade if you already have it.
    Thank you Paula, but the games in the store are version 2.0 so where can I get the patches from?
    Fionn said:

Thank you Paula, but the games in the store are version 2.0 so where can I get the patches from?

? what game are you talking about? EET is a mod for Baldur's Gate EE Trilogy, if you do not have that game, you cannot use that mod.
    I jave Baldurs Gate EE, Dragonspear EE and BG2EE but to install EET it says they must be patched to 2.3, the versions I bought are v2.0. So I need the patch for 2.3
    Fionn said:

I jave Baldurs Gate EE, Dragonspear EE and BG2EE but to install EET it says they must be patched to 2.3, the versions I bought are v2.0. So I need the patch for 2.3

This is not something for the BWS forum. This is something you need to clarify with the beamdog support for the official game.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Fionn How was your version installed? Steam will update automatically, so will GOG if you install their Galaxy client. The same applies to Beamdog, their client will update your install automatically.
    mlnevese said:

@Fionn How was your version installed? Steam will update automatically, so will GOG if you install their Galaxy client. The same applies to Beamdog, their client will update your install automatically.

...if it is a legal version.
    Thanks mlnevese, that makes sense.
  • ibanixibanix Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2018
    BG2:EE - GoG install - version 2.3.67.3(A). Fresh install. Game was started, player created, save immediately made. Can verify save exists in the save folder. Install is E:\GoG Games\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition.

Big World setup is installed to C:\Users\username\etc.... and downloads are set to E:\BiG World Downloads

BG:EE is not installed, nor was ever installed, nor any other BG/IWD games

Installation fails every time on "Please start the game, create a save file...."

Edit: No logfile is being created in the game install folder. Yes, I have UAC disabled.

Post edited by ibanix on
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    edited February 2018

Actually, it's fine to install the game to C:\Program Files (or the x86 variant). What you can do is leave your proper installation there, and then COPY the entire installation to something like D:\Games (C:\Games is also fine if you only have one drive). Then you apply your mods to D:\Games.

Note that since you have SoD from Steam, you need Modmerge. AFTER you copied, but BEFORE you install any mods, you want to run Modmerge inside the copied BGEE folder. (Do not run it in the BG2EE folder, it doesn't need it.)

The plus of modding a copy instead of the original installation is that when the update hits, your modified installation remains untouched.
  • BloodstoneBloodstone Member Posts: 99
    edited February 2018
    Actually, it's fine to install the game to C:\Program Files (or the x86 variant). What you can do is leave your proper installation there, and then COPY the entire installation to something like D:\Games (C:\Games is also fine if you only have one drive). Then you apply your mods to D:\Games.

Note that since you have SoD from Steam, you need Modmerge. AFTER you copied, but BEFORE you install any mods, you want to run Modmerge inside the copied BGEE folder. (Do not run it in the BG2EE folder, it doesn't need it.)

The plus of modding a copy instead of the original installation is that when the update hits, your modified installation remains untouched.

Thanks for the insight, makes alot of sense. I am now realizing I have a Detatchable Drive (2 TB) that I used to use for backups that I don't use for that anymore. I can actually just start moving my bigger games especially these with the Mods and some others like Gal Civ III over to that drive.

• TiapokaTiapoka Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys,

Sorry, if this problem has been raised before, but I'm really desperate to resolve it and I simply cannot find any solution.

I used to play vanilla BG with The Big World and lots of its mods (BGT). So, years past by and I have decided to "upgrade" to the enhanced versions and purchased all 3 titles (BG1 + 2 + SOD). Wanted to play all 3 titles "tactically modded", downloaded The Big World mod manager and did exactly as advised (latest versions installed, started all games and saved, etc).

However just prior to downloading and installing the mods I get the error message that I first need to start the game.

Does anyone have any idea how this issue can be bypassed or resolved?

Thnx a lot in advance!
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    Question: The Verr'Sza mod for BG:EE/SoD is listed as 2.4 in Big World Setup but is currently on v3.3. Is there a way I can have BWS install the 3.3 version rather than the 2.4 version?