Skip to content

[obsolete] Big World Setup (BWS): Mod Manager for Baldur's Gate / Enhanced Edition (Trilogy)

Comments

• wsmithjrwsmithjr Member Posts: 50
    @Bennett BWS "complains" about the versions not being right, but I've been "forcing" it to use the newer versions. I can't say I've been able to test it to make sure there are no problems but at least it will install them.
  • axellsladeaxellslade Member Posts: 47
    Trying to get a "Recommended install" on a BG2EE 2.1 fresh install, it errors out:
    ERROR: illegal 2-byte read from offset 458 of 450-byte file C!PP26.ITM
    ERROR: [C!PP26.ITM] -> [override/C!PP26.ITM] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("C!PP26.ITM: read out of bounds"))
    ERROR: Failure("C!PP26.ITM: read out of bounds")
    Adjust XP for quests (EET (Enhanced Edition Trilogy) Tweaks) was not installed due to errors.
  • hippofanthippofant Member Posts: 35
    edited May 2016

Trying to get a "Recommended install" on a BG2EE 2.1 fresh install, it errors out:

ERROR: illegal 2-byte read from offset 458 of 450-byte file C!PP26.ITM
    ERROR: [C!PP26.ITM] -> [override/C!PP26.ITM] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("C!PP26.ITM: read out of bounds"))
    ERROR: Failure("C!PP26.ITM: read out of bounds")
    Adjust XP for quests (EET (Enhanced Edition Trilogy) Tweaks) was not installed due to errors.
    I have this problem too. I solve it by just deleting C!PP26.ITM, and any other items like it. I don't think it's a real item, but just an artefact generated by another mod. NearInfinity won't open it at all due to a null type error; EEKeeper shows a bizarre item that isn't typed properly and has a really long dialogue string as its name.

Edit: It also doesn't show up in any mod folders when I search for it.
    Post edited by hippofant on
  • axellsladeaxellslade Member Posts: 47
    The Imp actually clarified what generates this error over at the Spellhold Studios Forums:
    http://www.shsforums.net/topic/57873-mod-klatu-tweaks-and-fixes/
    The Imp:
    It comes from the Wheels of Prophecy's corrupted file, when it's edited by the Tweaks packs... There's really nothing to do, except to not install the WoP until it's fixed.
    You can't see this in the change-log of the original file cause it's broken in the original mod it comes from.
    The corrupted file itself it an item called Mel's Ring of Wizardry, and it has actually been fixed by the author:
    http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28030

So in order to avoid the error, BWP needs to update WoP files with the fix and the install should go as intended.
  • hippofanthippofant Member Posts: 35
    edited May 2016
    Interesting. I guess the offset error causes Tweaks to generate extra items, which then cause errors in other mods that try to process those items?

Yeesh. I can't imagine how he managed to figure that out!
  • qwerty123456qwerty123456 Member Posts: 67
    Please open issues at Bitbucket

Randomiser installation fails on BG:EE

### 1400: Randomise items -> Mode 2: Randomise with WeiDU. Some items are lost ### Ready for installation type BWS_SUB.nul | Setup-randomiser.exe --no-exit-pause --noautoupdate --language 0 --skip-at-view --force-install-list 1400 --logapp [Setup-randomiser.exe] WeiDU version 23800 Using Language [English] Using .\lang\en_us/dialog.tlk Installing [Randomise items -> Mode 2: Randomise with WeiDU. Some items are lost] [proto-7 160228] loading 1 tra file loading 1 tra file Please enter the chance for items to be randomly lost as a integer number (e.g. 10 for 10%) Please enter the chance for items to be randomly lost as a integer number (e.g. 10 for 10%) Copying and patching 1 file ... Copying and patching 1 file ... Copying 1 file ... Copying and patching 1 file ... Copying and patching 1 file ... Copying and patching 1 file ... Copying and patching 1 file ... Copying and patching 1 file ... One or more mods are installed which uses items that are randomised by this mod. Do you wish to leave these items where they are? Please answer [y]es or [n]o. Please see the readme for additional details. Stopping installation because of error. Stopping installation because of error. Stopping installation because of error. ERROR Installing [Randomise items -> Mode 2: Randomise with WeiDU. Some items are lost], rolling back to previous state Will uninstall 5 files for [RANDOMISER/RANDOMISER.TP2] component 1400. Uninstalled 5 files for [RANDOMISER/RANDOMISER.TP2] component 1400. ERROR: End_of_file PLEASE report the error message in the file SETUP-RANDOMISER.DEBUG to Wisp, www.forums.gibberlings3.net Automatically Skipping [Randomise items -> Mode 2: Randomise with WeiDU. Some items are lost] because of error. Using Language [English] NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Randomise items -> Mode 2: Randomise with WeiDU. Some items are lost C:\games\bgee> ERROR: End_of_file
  • JebbleJebble Member Posts: 27
    I'm a bit confused of the function of some of the obligatory components when using BiG World Setup to install mods, specifically BiG World Fixpack, BiG World Install pack and Enhanced Edition Trilogy End.
    What exactly does these components add? Are they just are necessary part for the installation of some of the other mods?
  • JudouJudou Member Posts: 12
    Trilogy End doesn't install, and Spell Revisions has an update.
  • EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    Is it one-use tool? I installed 2 mods and wanted to check more, but BWP said i already have installed mods and have to reinstall all BG. So you can't add more mods to already modded game?
  • ZozZZozZ Member Posts: 1
    i can't launch the BiG World Setup.vbs it gives my error 80070002 "the system cannot find the file specified
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Etamin said:

Is it one-use tool? I installed 2 mods and wanted to check more, but BWP said i already have installed mods and have to reinstall all BG. So you can't add more mods to already modded game?

This is for BWS which is not BWP.

Install a bunch with BWS, after that add more without BWS.
  • cartesiicartesii Member Posts: 16
    edited May 2016
    I get the same error over and over again: pls start a new game, choose a language e.g.

I want to play BG 1 EE @steam

but i have done that alrdy...newest version of game is installed.

What can i do?

• LMTR14LMTR14 Member Posts: 165
    edited May 2016
    doesn't this get broken with every new version of BGEE? I'm actually considering re-buying the games digitally (*facepalm*) so I can use a megamod solution (haven't done so in 5 years at least, and big picture (?) didn't work all too well back then either.)

do I have a serious chance of getting this running right now? or should I wait til the patching smoke has cleared... (and faildog has worked out how to provide patches for the dvd versions of the games, which I own...)

please, I need this info very urgently ^^
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    when an update happens, all the mods go away. Because they can't push an update and account for all the changes that mods have made. All they can do is set the baseline, then you can mod it all you want.
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    Not every mod gets broken. For most of them all you have to do is to re-install after patch.
    edited May 2016
    buuut... does the big world setup at all register which version of the game the individual mods are compatible with? am I better off installing the regular old games from my original cds after all...? but some of the newer mod versions probably aren't compatible with vanilla anymore, right...

what a pain. maybe I'll keep it simple and just install the mod I actually finally want to play (imoen romance 2.0) and some true and tested things. but some of the bigger mods (bg1 AND 2) never worked for me at all... (check the bodies, fishing for trouble and others I even forgot the names of)... at this point I'm wondering whether it still will be even possible at some point to play bg megamodded...

the modding scene seems to mostly have the interest too (what I can glean from visiting the usual forums), which I don't get at all...
  • agb1agb1 Member Posts: 249
    @Bennett thanks for pointing out the updated mod versions. I've updated BWS to use Garrick TT 1.26 and Sentrizeal's 1.1.
  • agb1agb1 Member Posts: 249
    edited June 2016
    Jebble said:

I'm a bit confused of the function of some of the obligatory components when using BiG World Setup to install mods, specifically BiG World Fixpack, BiG World Install pack and Enhanced Edition Trilogy End.
    What exactly does these components add? Are they just are necessary part for the installation of some of the other mods?

The BiG World Fixpack is a set of community patches for mods, especially older ones that haven't updated for a while. It's mostly bug fixes and compatibility fixes. This is not to be confused with the G3 Fixpack / BG2 Fixpack, which is a set of corrections for the original game and is fully included in the Enhanced Editions.

Most of the BiG World Installpack is not used by BWS these days, but there a few things in the package that are still used.

The EET End is only for Enhanced Edition Trilogy and shouldn't show up for regular BG2EE installations. I've just updated BWS to hide EET End except when it is needed.
    ANY comment at all about whether it's better to use vanilla or ee nowadays to install with a lot of mods?!?!
  • LeokostaLeokosta Member Posts: 73
    Does anyone know why SHSforums.net is down ? Thank you.
  • Ser_ElrykSer_Elryk Member Posts: 72
    Leokosta said:

Does anyone know why SHSforums.net is down ? Thank you.

Same question! G3 is down for me as well.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    The admin of G3 and SHSforums.net is aware of the issue and is fixing it.
  • Ser_ElrykSer_Elryk Member Posts: 72

Good to know, thank you! =)
  • LeokostaLeokosta Member Posts: 73
    Ser_Elryk said:

Good to know, thank you! =)
    Thenks for the reply. Much appreciated.
  • psycrospsycros Member Posts: 34
    Is there a specific reason that we have two different community sites on the same host, with a fair bit of overlap between them? Is g3 still active or is SHS the main independent forum site? Or maybe Beamdog is now the real "hub" of the community? (I imagine a few people can't even register here - I had to get an admin to do it for me, the site simply refused to create my account.) As a newcomer I just want to make sure that if I post something its in the most appropriate place. Are the homepages associated with each mod in BWS mostly up-to-date? Thx.
  • SyrophirSyrophir Member Posts: 12
    Can't BiG World Fixpack and BiG World Installpack be uploaded to the github because BiG World Setup wont work without them?

Who knows how long the old site is going to be unuasble, and Github is a better/more_reliable platform anyway.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    psycros said:

Is there a specific reason that we have two different community sites on the same host, with a fair bit of overlap between them? Is g3 still active or is SHS the main independent forum site? Or maybe Beamdog is now the real "hub" of the community? (I imagine a few people can't even register here - I had to get an admin to do it for me, the site simply refused to create my account.) As a newcomer I just want to make sure that if I post something its in the most appropriate place. Are the homepages associated with each mod in BWS mostly up-to-date? Thx.

I believe that the admins of G3 and SHS went in together on a hosting server to split costs so when the server goes down they both go down. Unfortunately "free" contains a fair monthly cost.
  • psycrospsycros Member Posts: 34
    edited June 2016
    mf2112 said:

psycros said:

I believe that the admins of G3 and SHS went in together on a hosting server to split costs so when the server goes down they both go down. Unfortunately "free" contains a fair monthly cost.
    I kinda figured as much. I hope this is just some kind of technical issue and not something malicious. That said, it would be great if they could just migrate everything to one site or the other (or even to an entirely new site). Assuming both SHS and G3 have standard forum back-ends it probably wouldn't be too difficult. There are a lot of migration tools out there, though some of them cost more than they should.

Regarding BWS usage with the EE 2.x games: If I understand correctly, the last couple BWS releases were updated to support them - perhaps dropping 1.3 support in the process (I'm not real clear on that part). I think (again, not certain) that these updates also made BWS recognize a few mods that have been updated for 2.x compatibility..at least that's what I gather from the BWS changelogs. However, there are also several other recently updated mods that weren't yet incorporated into BWS before SHS/G3 went down. With that in mind, which of these options is best:

Option 1: Use BWS to install any mods that the BWS changelogs say are 2.x-compatible and then manually install other 2.x-friendly mods that aren't yet recognized by BWS?

Option 2: Use BWS to install any mods that the BWS changelogs say are 2.x compatible and then wait until BWS has been updated to handle the other recently updated mods that I want to use?

In a roundabout way I'm also asking if its ever possible to manually install mods after you've modded a game with BWS. I'm assuming the answer is a resounding "no" because BWS undoubtedly alters game data in order to make mods work together as much as it can. Of course, it the answer IS "no" then I'm sure the answer to my first question is to sit tight and wait for BWS to get back on track. But it would be cool if the option 1 were feasible..I'd really like to be playing BGEE with all the updated goodies :)
    Post edited by psycros on
  • ithildurnewithildurnew Member Posts: 273
    ALIEN said:

@DmxDex Because this tool is called "Big World Setup" and it can install mods for enhanced edition games. You asked about Big World Project which is entirely different tool ;)

@jobby Definitely the mod pages, report broken links (or those which can't be downloaded via tool) to the mod authors.

@Kantu GoG/Steam version are currently broken for modding if you buy expansion(BG1EE + SoD), so even if you do an update to 2.0 you can't install mods.

BWS has now gotten to the stage where it's a reliably useful tool for reducing workload for installing a substantial number of mods (oftentimes in the past it could actually increase the workload...). One thing I wish they'd improve on which I've found unattractive/difficult/confusing from aeons ago is the unfortunate choice of names/terminology... starting with the fact the name of the tool itself can understandably cause confusion like it did with DmxDex.

Having said that, it's come a loooong ways thanks to the hard work of quite a few people who've joined the cause in more recent years.

One question, I'd assume this bit
    GoG/Steam version are currently broken for modding if you buy expansion(BG1EE + SoD), so even if you do an update to 2.0 you can't install mods
    no longer applies if one uses the below modmerge utility?

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50441/modmerge-merge-your-steam-gog-zip-based-dlc-into-something-weidu-nearinfinity-dltcep-can-use
  • ithildurnewithildurnew Member Posts: 273
    No longer applies in regards to using BWS that is...