Skip to content

[obsolete] Big World Setup (BWS): Mod Manager for Baldur's Gate / Enhanced Edition (Trilogy)

Comments

• igotsmeakabob11igotsmeakabob11 Member Posts: 19
    Thanks! Do I need to do anything special to prevent steam from messing with the modded files?
    Appreciate the response!
  • agb1agb1 Member Posts: 249
    You can disable Steam's auto-update. That only kicks in when Beamdog releases a new patch, but you wouldn't want it to overwrite game files while you're in the middle of a play-through.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

Thanks! Do I need to do anything special to prevent steam from messing with the modded files?
    Appreciate the response!

The best way is to copy the game directory to a different location on your hard drive. There's no DRM, so you'll be able to run it directly from the baldur.exe file. That way, you can mod the copy, and Steam updates will never touch it. The only downside is that you don't get Steam achievements anymore.
  • LoldrupLoldrup Member Posts: 291
    You mention 'easy backup creation/restoring' as a feature, but, how do I actually restore my BG installation from the backup that BWS created? Any guide online?
  • woowoovoodoowoowoovoodoo Member Posts: 150
    There is so called "revised" version of SCS that makes SCS casters use SR-specific spells, https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/813877/#Comment_813877
    If I install SCS + SR via BWS, will that patched version of SCS be used (or just vanilla v30)?
  • BrecherBrecher Member Posts: 48

There is so called "revised" version of SCS that makes SCS casters use SR-specific spells, https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/813877/#Comment_813877
    If I install SCS + SR via BWS, will that patched version of SCS be used (or just vanilla v30)?

Yes, BWS will detect SR and install SCS for SR.
  • woowoovoodoowoowoovoodoo Member Posts: 150
    Brecher, thank you.
  • islandkingislandking Member Posts: 426
    Just want to report that as of last month's Fixpack, with SCS installed after burning the Fission Slime in Durlag's Tower, still won't be teleported to Chess board, must use the console command
    C:SetGlobal("DMWWFissionBurn","GLOBAL",1)
    to fix that, any chance this can be patched?
  • FeydFeyd Member Posts: 9
    Speaking of a long-lasting SCS bug, Osmadi still crashes the game when you let him cast for more than 2 seconds. https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/44862/possible-bug-with-osmadi
    There is an active thread for SCS bug reports here: http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27035
  • Turd FergusonTurd Ferguson Member Posts: 12
    OK, I've followed this and have a few questions, and an issue.
    1. I chose the recommended setup to begin with. Install kept failing at 'Adjust Total XP Cap", it said that the required file was not found, so I disabled that one, it finally installed right.
    2. I added a mod for UI improvements, but nothing else that wasn't in the 'Recommended' install. It gave me a warning about my "package", I'm assuming that's just saying it wasn't in my preset selections. Is this correct?
    3. Now they're installed. What do I do? Do I start the game like normal, or is there a different way to start it? Am I missing something else, like do I need the Big World Project thing, or is that taken care of? Is there supposed to be a 'Mods' choice in-game, or did I eliminate that by installing them this way, and they're already activated? I started a new game before the install as directed, do I play that one now, or should I start an entirely new one? I'm not anywhere in the game, I literally saved and quit first chance, so I'm not married to this save game, but I DI spend 20 minutes rolling for the perfect character. :-)

There are great instructions for BWS, but then you're just kind of hanging. I don't see any kind of UI change(The only choice I made outside of the selection of "Recommended", except to disable the XP Cap one), but I'm pretty sure that all of the other mods in that list are just gameplay ones, so I'm not sure I'd see anything. I've seen a couple of people ask about how they start the game now, but no real definitive replies.

My install is a Steam version, I created a custom partition on my C: drive so that I could place the game somewhere other than the standard Steam install, as that was in the instructions(Custom install, not making a new partition), and Steam only lets me have my files in one place on each drive. I'm running BGEE, and WIndows 7, if any of these specs help answer any questions.

But if I just run it like normal, that's cool, just didn't really know for sure. Thanks! This guide was extremely helpful for what would have been a very daunting task, I'm just almost there, but not all of the way.
  • DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    Feyd said:

Speaking of a long-lasting SCS bug, Osmadi still crashes the game when you let him cast for more than 2 seconds. https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/44862/possible-bug-with-osmadi

I've tried to reproduce this (on BGEE and on EasyTUTU), and can't. I'd appreciate an exact reproduction situation - WEIDU.log and preferably savegame.

• FeydFeyd Member Posts: 9
    DavidW said:

Feyd said:

I've tried to reproduce this (on BGEE and on EasyTUTU), and can't. I'd appreciate an exact reproduction situation - WEIDU.log and preferably savegame.

There you go : http://hanginthere.free.fr/Osmadi.rar

I might be remembering it wrong but when it happened to me on a previous playthrough I tried reinstalling the game (BGEE, before SoD came out) with only SCS and the crash still happened with my save.

2. I added a mod for UI improvements, but nothing else that wasn't in the 'Recommended' install. It gave me a warning about my "package", I'm assuming that's just saying it wasn't in my preset selections. Is this correct?

When it comes to problems with this game, given how many permutations are possible, being extremely specific is essential if you want help. Which mod? Which components? Your WEIDU.LOG (in the BGEE game folder) has a complete list.

4. Now they're installed. What do I do? Do I start the game like normal, or is there a different way to start it? Am I missing something else, like do I need the Big World Project thing, or is that taken care of? Is there supposed to be a 'Mods' choice in-game, or did I eliminate that by installing them this way, and they're already activated? I started a new game before the install as directed, do I play that one now, or should I start an entirely new one? I'm not anywhere in the game, I literally saved and quit first chance, so I'm not married to this save game, but I DI spend 20 minutes rolling for the perfect character. :-)

You start the game as normal. BWP/BWS is just involved during the installation process. Now that you're done with the install, you don't need to touch BWP/BWS for actual gameplay. There is no in-game mod selection menu, either. Mods that are installed are always "active."

Some content in saved games does not get updated when you install mods afterwards, so it is safest to roll a new character after installing mods.
  • Turd FergusonTurd Ferguson Member Posts: 12
    agb1 said:

When it comes to problems with this game, given how many permutations are possible, being extremely specific is essential if you want help. Which mod? Which components? Your WEIDU.LOG (in the BGEE game folder) has a complete list.

I'll try to get that info, but really the bigger question was whether I had to do anything special to run the game. Since I don't, the UI Improvements are probably working. There's definitely an improvement over the original game back in the day. I just wanted to make sure, and if I was supposed to do something different(Question #4), then I would know. I'm happy knowing that everything is most likely working as it should. Thanks for the response!

• BlandingsBlandings Member Posts: 7
    Hello - I'm having issue with installing SCS all of a sudden. I've installed my selection of mods successfully half a dozen times over the last few months using BWS.

I'm getting the following error multiple times during SCS installation:

Applying kit/proficiency/script features to AESOLD
    Copying and patching 1 file ...
    Warning: it looks as if some entry that should be a key=>value list, isn't (~list~ is currently => ~opcode=326 and parameter2=132 and resource=D5_SAVCH~ delete_effect => ~opcode=326 and parameter2=132 and resource=D5_SAVCH~ delete_effect => ~opcode=326 and parameter2=132 and resource=D5_LUCKP~ delete_effect => ~opcode=326 and parameter2=132 and resource=D5_LUCKP~ delete_effect => ~opcode=206 and parameter2=0 and resource=D5_CHARI~ delete_effect => ~opcode=272 and parameter2=3 and resource=D5_CRIT0~ delete_effect => ~opcode=272 and parameter2=3 and resource=D5_CRIT2~ delete_effect => ~opcode=272 and parameter2=3 and resource=D5_CRIT3~ delete_effect => ~opcode=206 and parameter2=0 and resource=D5_INTCR~ %RESREF_QD_MCF02_KIT_EFFECTS_REMOVE% %RESREF_QD_MCF03_KIT_EFFECTS_REMOVE% %RESREF_QD_MCF04_KIT_EFFECTS_REMOVE% %RESREF_QD_MCF05_KIT_EFFECTS_REMOVE% %RESREF_QD_MCF06_KIT_EFFECTS_REMOVE% %RESREF_QD_MCF07_KIT_EFFECTS_REMOVE%, key=%RESREF_QD_MCF01_KIT_EFFECTS_REMOVE%)
    Appending to files ...

Failed to apply general-AI patch to FSHORDE5 (error message Failure("'=>' contains =>, which is never legal in an SFO expression"))

Failed to apply general-AI patch to FSHORDE5 (error message Failure("'=>' contains =>, which is never legal in an SFO expression"))
    Appending to files ...

The only thing that has changed, to my knowledge, since my last install (which was a few weeks ago) is kreso's fix for scs. Not sure if that is what is causing this.

My weidu lod is attached (up to SCS installation)

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!
  • CaoimhinCaoimhin Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2017
    My entire Steam folder is in "C:\Steam\" My game has been running fine with BWS, I even used Modmerge before backing up my folders (through BWS). If I'm reading this correctly, I screwed up and am in Chapter 5 about to investigate the Iron Throne with a faulty install. I specifically installed Steam outside my "C:\Program Files (x86)\ " for modding reasons. I'm talking about my actual BG:EE+SoD and BG2:EE install, my BWS folder is outside in a folder on my desktop.
    Post edited by Caoimhin on
    @Caoimhin - What problem are you having? Sounds like your game is working fine.
    Blandings said:

Hello - I'm having issue with installing SCS all of a sudden. I've installed my selection of mods successfully half a dozen times over the last few months using BWS.

SCS doesn't like some of @subtledoctor's code (D5 prefix). I don't know why. However, these are just warnings - unless the SCS installation is actually stopping, it probably won't prevent you from playing.
    agb1 said:

@Caoimhin - What problem are you having? Sounds like your game is working fine.

As far as I can tell my game is installed in the wrong folder. It says it can't be in "C:\" I've also gotten a few weird dialogue interjections, but nothing really weird and only from PCs added by mods. However, certain Setting options (like the Gameplay, Sound, Ect.) have totally random dialogue from in game (from where I don't know). This seems to suggest an issue I read up on that there is going to be a problem with SoD (once I finish BG:EE) along the line. Since I made a backup AFTER Modmerge, when I reinstalled for this playthrough, that backup should have included the overwrite files when I restored it. Is this an unrelated issue?

Avoiding C: is a best practice but as long as you're outside Program Files you are usually OK. It sounds like you are fine as far as install location is concerned. Strange/random text indicates a mismatch between game files, often caused by using a saved game from a different installation or after uninstalling mods. If the interface text (in the game's main menus) is showing random dialogue, however, that would be a new one for me (never seen that problem before). It could (theoretically) be caused by a UI mod, or it could mean that your dialog.tlk (file that contains all lines of text shown in the game, including lines added by mods) got corrupted somehow.

Did you install or uninstall any mods manually or use an old saved game (created prior to this installation)?
    agb1 said:

Avoiding C: is a best practice but as long as you're outside Program Files you are usually OK. It sounds like you are fine as far as install location is concerned. Strange/random text indicates a mismatch between game files, often caused by using a saved game from a different installation or after uninstalling mods. If the interface text (in the game's main menus) is showing random dialogue, however, that would be a new one for me (never seen that problem before). It could (theoretically) be caused by a UI mod, or it could mean that your dialog.tlk (file that contains all lines of text shown in the game, including lines added by mods) got corrupted somehow.

Did you install or uninstall any mods manually or use an old saved game (created prior to this installation)?

Nope, hasn't happened since removing Finch I think from my party. (waiting on FaP to play her) So could be a blank entry. Both times it happened it wasn't dialogue, but it was a short bit of "trigger" command, or something, in code, in the text window instead of an interjection by the NPC. I kinda shrugged it off because it was to be expected to have a few mod hiccups.
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    Since I made a backup AFTER Modmerge, when I reinstalled for this playthrough, that backup should have included the overwrite files when I restored it. Is this an unrelated issue?

Do you mean by that, that you restored to a backup without override files then installed mods on top of it? (there should be stuff in the override after the use of modmerge I believe)
  • MercilecMercilec Member Posts: 55
    Does green mean that there is no compatibility problem among the mods?
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    Last 3 use of BWS somehoe killed Garrik encounter for my game. After Silke is dead I can not talk to Garrik. Click on him does nothing - just nothing happens. The only mod that can affect Garrik is NPCproject. But how? No bards, mage or rogue kits or anything. Is there any way around that problem?
  • MercilecMercilec Member Posts: 55
    edited February 2017
    Guys..... If i choose to install all the mods that are the below colors:

Gray - forced mod, can't be un-selected
    Green - recommended mod, based on the community
    Blue - stable mod, it should install without errors/bugs
    Orange - tactical mod, it increase difficulty or adds difficult fights

Will they have compatibility issues with each other?

EDIT:
    Let me ask it his way.
    How can i make sure the mods i install with BWS are compatible with each other?
    Post edited by Mercilec on

Since I made a backup AFTER Modmerge, when I reinstalled for this playthrough, that backup should have included the overwrite files when I restored it. Is this an unrelated issue?

Do you mean by that, that you restored to a backup without override files then installed mods on top of it? (there should be stuff in the override after the use of modmerge I believe)
    No I mean, that I made a backup after Modmerge and restored that backup. So the Override should be included.
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    edited February 2017
    Mercilec said:

Guys..... If i choose to install all the mods that are the below colors:

Gray - forced mod, can't be un-selected
    Green - recommended mod, based on the community
    Blue - stable mod, it should install without errors/bugs
    Orange - tactical mod, it increase difficulty or adds difficult fights

Will they have compatibility issues with each other?

EDIT:
    Let me ask it his way.
    How can i make sure the mods i install with BWS are compatible with each other?

After choosing all the mods, BWS itself will look for incompatibilities and will ask you to unselected certain features if they clash with each other.
  • BlandingsBlandings Member Posts: 7
    agb1 said:

Blandings said:

SCS doesn't like some of @subtledoctor's code (D5 prefix). I don't know why. However, these are just warnings - unless the SCS installation is actually stopping, it probably won't prevent you from playing.
    SCS installation did stop and always at the "slightly harder starting dungeon" component of SCS. Tried a few times - even with a clean install and couldn't get BWS to complete the install.

The compatibility problem was with subtledoctor's might and guide mod (was only installing the sniper kit from that mod). Anyway, I had to drop that mod to proceed with installation.
  • vanatosvanatos Member Posts: 876
    How do you add your own mod?