Skip to content

Euro 2016 and Confederations Cup 2017 football thread - share your impressions

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Fingers crossed for CMR I really wanna see an African team go through
    Germany defense again ffs
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited June 2017
    I think the draw between Cameroon and Australia difined the draw in the second match of the group.

After the 2nd round of matches:

Montresor_SP: 7 points
    Pibaro: 6 points
    FinneousPJ: 3 point
    Me: 6 points

Predictions:
    New Zealand - Portugal 0:2 Mexico - Russia 1:1
    Chile - Autralia 3:0 Germany - Cameroon 3:1

Fingers crossed for CMR I really wanna see an African team go through

Sorry...
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Hmmm, this seems to be going well! :smile:

Predictions for third round:

New Zealand - Portugal 0-2
    Mexico - Russia 2-1

Chile - Australia 2-1
    Germany - Cameroon 2:2
    Russia could win this game if they score an early-ish goal, probably from a free kick or a corner. Mexico will be strongest if the pressure mounts on Russia to score as the game goes on, giving Mexico's good counter offense great chances.
    Russia is playing very strong. Let's see if they can indeed win this.
    Bad luck Russia. You had every chance to win this.
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    edited June 2017
    Well, I forgot to put up the match predictions but at least I correctly guessed the four teams advancing from the poule phase. :)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited June 2017
    Ok, here's how the things stand after the group stage:

Match-by-match predictions score:

Montresor_SP: 10 points
    Pibaro: 6 points
    FinneousPJ: 4 points
    Me: 9 points

Overall:

@Doubledimas 8 points (2 per a qualified team, guessed correctly)
    @FinneousPJ 4+4 (2 teams guessed correctly) = 8 points
    @Pibaro 6+6 (3 teams guessed correctly) =12 points
    Me: 9+8 (4 teams guessed correctly) = 17 points
    @Montresor_SP 10+8 (4 teams guessed correctly) = 18 points

Those who miss match-by-match predictions, don't worry much, you're welcome to continue. The winner will most likely be the one who will get the most points from guessing the champion, the vice-champion and the 3rd place team (and there're already a few things clear in that regard: Portugal can't meet Chile in the final (here goes my prediction)).
    edited June 2017
    Portugal - Chile 2:1
    Germany - Mexico 3:2

Germany - Portugal 2:1
    Mexico - Chile 2:2 (2:3 after penalties)
    Post edited by Doubledimas on
    Upcoming semi-finals
    POR-CHI 2-0
    GER-MEX 3-2
    Seeing the VAR system being tested on this tournament, let's test @Skatan 's idea as well (regarding the knock-out stage):

"I think you should be awarded 1 point if you pick the right winner, and another point for the correct score after 90 minutes. I think it's a bit weird that you can pick 3 out of 4 winners yet only get 1 point."

Guessing the right outcome (after the game ends) = 1 point
    Guessing the right score (after the game ends) = 2 points
    Additionally: guessing the right score after 90 minutes = 1 point

A penalty shootout win for the sake of these predicions is considered as one additional goal (so 2:2 after the game ends in a penalty shootout should be 2:3).

@Doubledimas and @FinneousPJ Feel free to tweak your predictions a bit.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Oh I completely missed this thread. Good luck you guys, I'll join back in the next championship.
    So, how would I have to tweak that? Adjust the text to "2:3 after penalties" in the brackets?

So, how would I have to tweak that? Adjust the text to "2:3 after penalties" in the brackets?

You can add your prediction for the right score after 90 minutes (if you think any of the matches other than Mexico - Chile will also end as a draw in 90 minutes).
    I think everything will be done within 90 minutes apart from mexico-chile, so updated it to reflect the 2:3 after penalties.
    @JuliusBorisov So does one have to specify whether they're predicting the game to end after 90 or 120 minutes or after penalties?
    You can get 1 additional point if you make a prediction for 90 minutes to end in a draw. It's up to you whether or not you want to do that. @Skatan may share additional thoughts about this idea, - after all, it's his idea.

This is how I see it (example).

Prediction: Portugal - Chile 2:1 (1:1 after 90 mins)

If the game indeed ends in the extra time, the user gets 1 point regardless of the final result, but only if the score 1:1 is correct after 90 mins (if it's 0:0, 2:2 etc, there's no additional point). If the game ends 2:1 in 90 mins, the user gets points only for guessing the winner and the score.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    *checks crystal ball*

Portugal - Chile 3-2 (2-2 after 90 minutes)

Germany - Mexico 2-1 (Germany wins after normal time but I can't envision them keeping a clean sheet.)
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    I'm back.

My predictions:

Portugal - Chile 1-1 (1-1) Chile win by penalty shoot-out

Germany - Mexico 2-0

You can get 1 additional point if you make a prediction for 90 minutes to end in a draw. It's up to you whether or not you want to do that. @Skatan may share additional thoughts about this idea, - after all, it's his idea.

If the game indeed ends in the extra time, the user gets 1 point regardless of the final result, but only if the score 1:1 is correct after 90 mins (if it's 0:0, 2:2 etc, there's no additional point). If the game ends 2:1 in 90 mins, the user gets points only for guessing the winner and the score.

@JuliusBorisov Yeah, my point is you shouldn't get points if the game ends after 90 minutes and you predicted a draw.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited June 2017

@JuliusBorisov Yeah, my point is you shouldn't get points if the game ends after 90 minutes and you predicted a draw.
    Hey guys, not sure I follow you completely. Let me try to explain what I meant:

[Edit: With "overtime" I mean the added minutes after 90 minutes to compensate for changing/injured players and other times the clocked ticked while the game stood still. Not sure what the correct term for it is in english, overtime or extra time? What is the time added after 90+ minutes called, the 15+15?]

In group play:
    After the regular game time, which is 90 minutes (+ overtime), there will be a score that can give a point and a result that can give a point. So in group play where there's never extra time or penalties, the point scores are pretty simple; 1 primary point for predicting the winner and 1 secondary point for predicting the correct score after the game ends.

After group play, only one team moves on:
    After the regular game time, which is 90 minutes (+ overtime), there will be a score that can give a point. For example, if USA vs Europe ends 2-2 after 93 minutes and moves into overtime and maybe penalties, then you get 1 point for predicting the winner, no matter if it was a goal during overtime or via penalties, and a secondary point if you had predicted a draw 2-2 after 90(+) minutes. This effect only comes into play if there's a draw really since if the game ends after the normal 90 minutes, then there's no issue.

If I remember correctly the last time we ran this racket, I predicted 3 out of 4 correct winners after the game total ended (after overtime and penalties), but since I had not been able to predict the scores after 90(+) minutes I didn't get any points since the teams won on penalties etc. And this was what I wanted to change, to put the emphasis on predicting winners and get a point for that and the secondary point can be awarded for predicting the score after 90 minutes, rather than the opposite where the main point was for predicting the score after 90 minutes. Does that make sense? My memory is a bit fuzzy, I can never remember details from a year ago so I hope I made it more clear now, hehe.. :)

Anyways, it's just a suggestion and it's perfectly ok to discard it if you don't agree. No harm, no foul.
    My predictions:

Portugal - Chile 1:1 in 90 minutes, 2:1 victory by Portugal in the extra time

Germany - Mexico Let's go with a surprise here. 1:2 to Mexico!
    Pibaro said:

Do I get any bonus for this?
    Grrrrr... I was so close!!!
    That was kinda shit
    Bravo, Chile!
    Pibaro said:

Pibaro said:

Do I get any bonus for this?
    Grrrrr... I was so close!!!
    You didn't specify a result after 90 minutes, so you get 1 point for predicting a winner (Chile).

I hope Portugal will remember this mistake during the next year's World Cup.
    Well.... I did. I said 1-1 after 90'... Or that's what I wanted to say.
    I just was the only one to predict the penalty shoot-out!!!
    edited June 2017
    Please, pay attention to "the right score after 90 minutes". It's as @Skatan offered.

If the game indeed ends in the extra time, the user gets 1 point regardless of the final result, but only if the score 1:1 is correct after 90 mins (if it's 0:0, 2:2 etc, there's no additional point).

This time it ended 0-0 after 90 minutes, not 1:1. So you get 1 point for predicting a winner (Chile), and congratulations on that (you're the only one to do that).
    Hopefully today's game is more exciting. Well, I predicted 5 goals :D
    We got 5 goals and almost the ones I predicted as well