I'm pleased to announce that Dorn romance expansion has reached version 3.1! I strongly recommend you read this whole post again if you intend to install this mod. Now compatible with EET thanks to PaulaMigrate!
This mod is a romance expansion for Dorn, and NPC character added into BG2:EE by Beamdog. This brings content to about 29 talks in SOA and 6 talks in TOB, including some interjections for TOB.
The expansion adds new talks, expands and modifies existing ones and sometimes changes their order. It adds Bodhi abduction and new/modified epilogues for romanced Dorn. Some of Dorn's unused voiced lines in bg2:ee and few voiced lines from other games (bg:ee and sod) were added to make the talks feel more alive.
I believe this mod brings the content to the same level as the vanilla romances, at least quantity-wise. If you happen to like it, I'm glad, if not, it's ok, I'm interested in feedback in both cases.
V3 NEW CONTENT:
With the permission from Aeryn, author of Haer'Dalis Romance over at Spellhold Studious, I used her code and template from her mod to add three additional talks in Underdark. The talks add some content to otherwise empty stretch of the game. Talks will probably make more sense if you have a committed relationship already.
when you download rar file from github (simply click download button when you open link), unrar it and drop "dorn" folder and "setup-dorn.exe" file into installation folder of your BG2:EE game, double click setup-dorn.exe and follow instructions.
DOWNLOAD LINK: https://github.com/trinit2/Bg2Dorn/archive/master.zip
1. Install this mod before any other mod that affects Dorn. Starting a new game is STRONGLY recommended, as the romance might not make sense otherwise. Post 2.0 patch update of the Infinity games, the mod seems stable.
2. I tried to remain in-character for Dorn, taking into account what we learned from bg1:ee. It is still the same character, but with added talks comes a bit more depth and reasons for affection toward CHARNAME. I guess it makes him a bit more tolerant over time, although he he is still evil.
3. The expansion is written for Dorn FREE OF PATRON. Seriously, it will not make sense otherwise.
Consider it like this- if Dorn has a patron, he is effectively slave/bound to someone else. He has no reason to open up to CHARNAME or make any concrete plans for the future, even if he does care for CHARNAME. Perhaps he might have an ulterior motive for romancing you. Thus, the original romance (no bodhi abduction, old epilogues etc.) makes sense and this mod should not be installed. Different romance path (as presented in this mod) is a roleplaying reward for making Dorn mechanically weaker, something often used in CRPGs.
4. Somewhere in the romance (SOA), there is an alignment shift on chaotic/lawful scale. Dorn stays evil! There are no variables tracks implemented because of my coding limits, so try to give Dorn more or less consistent responses for the sake of your roleplay.
5. If you notice grammar and similar errors, point them out to me please.
6. CREDITS: Credit must go to Grim Squeaker, since I took his code from Tyris Flare mod (on G3 site) to make a few interjections for Dorn in Watchers Keep and TOB. I also used his code to make bodhi abduction and epilogues work.
Big credit also goes to @EekanImp
for great suggestions, hunting typos and corrections of the text that helped to integrate this mod more seamlessly into the game. Thank you very much!
Thanks to @WhiteAgnus
for help with the coding side of the mod, eliminating "begin" for installation. The mod should be safe(r) to use.
Thanks to Aeryn who permitted me to use her template and code from her Haer'Dalis Romance mod (Spellhold Studios) to create few additional talks
PaulaMigrate added EET compatibility
Thanks, all of you!
7. I take no responsibility for any damage caused to your game, computer, mental health or otherwise if you decide to download, install and play this mod. You have been warned.8. KNOWN BUGS-
- stuttering bug when initiating terpfen questline should be fixed in version 3.1!
- when you exit underdark, sometimes the cutscene will interrupt romance talk. If dorn doesn't talk to you after elhan, try talking to him manually (click talk icon and then click on dorn).
This is it, I hope at least someone enjoys this mod
Please leave feedback and such. I would appreciate it and it might help me improve this mod. also, if someone wants to help and improve the technical part of the mod, I welcome it!