Skip to content

Fighter ->Cleric [BG-TotSC only].... Tank Cleric build dualling at Level 2-3 ???

Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
I have tried the Cleric/Ranger Multiclass once before and liked it very much but this time I want to try a basic Cleric with the added bonus of Weapon Mastery and a little bit of extra HP and THACO.

Note: I do not have access to kits such as Priest of Lathander.

The question is whether to dual early, even level 2 perhaps, for maximum Cleric levels or wait a bit longer.

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    if you want maximum level out of your cleric you can have your fighter class hit level 6, which will give you 4 proficiencies in whatever weapon you choose and still be able to grow to level 8 in the cleric class,

if you make your fighter level grow to level 7 then your cleric will only top out at level 7 and will not activate the fighter abilities

if you are playing the vanilla BG then note that when you dual your fighter into a cleric you will not be able to add proficiencies on to your previous ones, for example: if you took the above example of level 6 fighter you would have 4 on one weapon, then dualed over to cleric and hit level 8, you will get another proficiency but the game still only lets you have "1" max since you are a "cleric" now so you wont be able to have 5 in one weapon

so if you want maximum efficiency and you are only going to be playing bg1, then go with level 6 fighter and dual over to cleric, because the time that cleric level hits level 7 the will be the best strength a level 7 cleric can have

but..... if you have BGEE and you were to be a level 6 fighter than dual over to cleric ( if you plan on going melee you could make your fighter a berserker) then when you reached level 8 in your cleric class you will be able to put that 5 proficiency on

so all in all, if you want a cleric with 5 proficiencies in the vanilla BG you will never a level cap remover, hit level 9 in your fighter class, than dual over to cleric and hit a whooping level 10, and realistically to make that happen you will either need to solo the game or have a very very small team

but if you want the best bang for your buck, level 6 fighter than dual over to cleric

if you are ever going to import over into SoA then I would go with level 7 fighter than dual over to cleric, you wont unlock your fighter abilities in bg1 that way, but if you import over to bg2 you will hit level 8 cleric in the first dungeon no doubt, and then really start to wreck shop :)
    JuliusBorisov
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    Thanks for the info about not being able to add proficiencies a la Fighter-class after Fighter abilities are recovered in BG-TotSCVan.

Another advantage of aiming to dual at Level6 rather than an early dual is that I really enjoy playing with Branwen's Skeleton Crew. She gets Animate Dead at Level 5 so I often shape my playthrough, when feasible, around completing Chap.2 with a crew including Jaheira/Khalid and then send them off with Volo on a diplomatic mission. And then reorganize with Branwen, Kivan, Imoen and one other NPC.
    sarevok57Raduziel
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    Gotural said:

I would recommend you to dual at level 3, it's very early and convenient, you will be able to play your Fighter=>Cleric very soon.

Plus when you reach level 4 and regain your Fighters' abilities, you will earn a proficiency point as a level 4 Cleric which you can use to get **** in a weapon, then at level 8 you will be able to get Grandmastery ***** in that weapon.

@sarevok57 has indicated that my game [BG-TotSC Vanilla] will not allow me to add extra pips to Weapon skills after regaining Fighter abilities. Should be fairly easy to check that out.

If that is the case I would probably dual at Fighter Level 4 **** if I wanted Cleric abilities in Chap.3 onwards. Which is what I am leaning towards as I would find it more satisfying I think to get my Charname RP solidified sooner rather than later. I generally find a solid satisfying storyline that may not achieve Maximum Power Game for the Final Battle more to my liking.

In this case I am imagining that Charname will have some sort of overwhelming experience when Branwen is rendered back to flesh-form ~ which compels the Dual-Class decision.
    Gotural
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    @Eadwyn_G8keeper in the vanilla BG-TotSC I would bet money that you will NOT be able to add extra proficiencies to an already proficient+ weapon after your cleric had dualed over your fighter, I've made a million level 7 fighter dual over to level 8 theif builds, and I was never allowed to put that 5th proficiency point into bow
    GoturalEadwyn_G8keeper