Skip to content

[MOD] Dragonspear UI++ (v2.42)

Comments

• ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    That's quite different from how it used to be in your old version! But I don't mind that. Having everything so horizontally spread on the inventory page is probably the thing I liked least about your original mod.

Having the sidebars closer on this screen is also nice, but will that work properly?

What about your dialog screen? Will it remain similar to your old dialog screen?
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,181
    Thels said:

Having the sidebars closer on this screen is also nice, but will that work properly?

I don't see why it wouldn't, I already use another set of buttons in the journal screen of dragonspear UI++. I may have to simplify it a bit though.
    Thels said:

What about your dialog screen? Will it remain similar to your old dialog screen?

The current will probably remain as an option and but I have always planned to return the dialog to bottom center once it has been fixed by a patch.
  • ShardexShardex Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the screenshot. Looks good and functional already. I still prefer the (dark) SoD UI++ and the dialog box with the big picture (i am using it in conjunction with 'Portraits, portraits everywhere', so if the current Dialog screen remains as an option, im superhappy.
    edited December 2017
    The new dialog will have bigger portrait too. Okay, the concept is still in a rough state, but it will look somewhat like this:

edited out, later...
    Post edited by Pecca on
  • ShardexShardex Member Posts: 11
    To be honest, i dont like this early version too much. The artstyle is great but its very intrusive. The old ui is much more minimalistic and puts the focus on the actual scene, which i prefer.
    Yeah, that is also because the concept is scaled interface. It is inspired by PST:EE.
  • YehoyakinYehoyakin Member Posts: 15
    Awsome work with the UI, I like much more than the original, maybe except for the main menu background, but the rest is very good.

Is there a way to use this UI with baldur's gate 2?
    @Yehoyakin : This mod is only compatible with SoD, but I'm working on a mod that will be compatible with all EEs (except PST:EE).
  • EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    Pecca said:

@Yehoyakin : This mod is only compatible with SoD, but I'm working on a mod that will be compatible with all EEs (except PST:EE).

EET too?
    Etamin said:

Pecca said:

EET too?
    Yes :)
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,700
    Would such a huge inventory option be optional? I think I preffer the classic view :)
  • RaigavinRaigavin Member Posts: 2
    Just registered on the forum to mention that this UI modification is awesome.

And with a suggestion.

Would it be possible to have a feature to select all the different sections of the UI mods to be optional? it would be great!

Like optional separate features, so that either a combination of the following or only a particular one can be included or excluded, etc:
    - Main Menu
    - Character Generation
    - Save/Load Screens
    - Multiplayer Screen
    - Main Gameplay Screen
    - Dialog Box
    - Journal
    - Inventory
    - Record
    - Mage/Priest Spellbooks
    - Worldmap
    - Store/Containers
    - Chapters

This would give opportunity to those who would only one certain set of UI modification applied or exclude some when there are compatibility issues when existing modification in the game itself or just because of personal preferences.

Example: I utilize BP-BGT-WORLDMAP and it appears to have some form of incompatibility with the Worldmap section of the UI changes from this mod (where the locations are offset with the Background of the map being from the BP-BGT-WORLDMAP

Example 2: Thou I like the dialog box a lot, the position of the dialog box cannot be freely changed vertically and it creates a slight dissonance with the focus on the NPC dialog interactions (unless its already planned to be as such).

Again, thanks for your effort on the UI modification. It simply changes a modest UI to a much more friendly and functional experience.
  • ImionaImiona Member Posts: 30
    Pecca said:

Testing some other fun things like this:

Your Skills are awesome!

Would such a huge inventory option be optional? I think I preffer the classic view :)

Don't worry :) I'm not even sure yet, if this one's gonna get released, due some engine limitations. But it was always the goal, and the "classic" (although I would hardly call it that :) ) was always meant to be temporary - that's why the inventory backpack is on the right anyway - I just got stuck with it, because I didn't understand the code well enough.
    Working last year as a programmer, the code sudennly opened up to me and I began to experiment. But I am still rather going to create a different mod as a successor to this. I have a certain feature in mind and a certain idea how to do it and it requires doing the entire UI differently. Using relative sizing I think I will be able to create an actual UI scaling - a feature that will introduce an option to display the UI in several levels of some percentage of screen height (like 60 70 80 90 and 100).

@Raigavin: Thanks, but this mod is meant to be a total conversion of the UI. It would create a strong dissonance if only some screens were changed and others not, but mainly it would simply require too much work for little reason. I may look into some compatibility issues though - like with the worldmap. Not sure what you mean by the second example - the dialog box actually can be freely changed vertically by dragging the upper portion of the window, or using the "arrows" button in the upper right corner.
  • RaigavinRaigavin Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2018
    Pecca said:

@Raigavin: Thanks, but this mod is meant to be a total conversion of the UI. It would create a strong dissonance if only some screens were changed and others not, but mainly it would simply require too much work for little reason. I may look into some compatibility issues though - like with the worldmap. Not sure what you mean by the second example - the dialog box actually can be freely changed vertically by dragging the upper portion of the window, or using the "arrows" button in the upper right corner.

@Pecca
    Thanks again in clarifying your vision (as a total conversion), its great you are still putting in a lot of effort into the modifications.

I'll check the movement of the dialog box again, prior I was only able to move it horizontally at the top portion of the screen. I would want to in the exact same location as the default dialog box appears during conversations :smile: , but with your dialog box.
    Raigavin said:

I'll check the movement of the dialog box again, prior I was only able to move it horizontally at the top portion of the screen. I would want to in the exact same location as the default dialog box appears during conversations :smile: , but with your dialog box.

Ha, sorry, yes, the dialog box can only move horizontally, I misplaced the word vertical for horizontal :)
    @Pecca - just to clarify: it's not that I don't like that inventory option :) It's just... I'm afraid that it may be a bit hard to get used to the new form. I can see great possible benefits from using the new one, like faster item management, but I can't tell if it would feel great in game. With the change, inv screen started to look a bit cramped :)

Anyway, I'm still quite excited about the mod and I hope to finally see it's version for BG2 :) (Please please please)
  • MoonWolfMoonWolf Member Posts: 23
    That style of inventory worked Great for me in Pillars of Eternity so if you do end up implementing it like that I think it'd work well.
    I also like how it works in PoE, I took an inspiration from it, but it cannot fully work like that in the infinity engine. The most problematic part is exchanging items between backpacks, which only works through portrait. If I get this done, the biggest advantage will be the overview of all backpacks. The actual usage will be similar to what it is now.
    I think it would be confusing if you still had to select the right portrait to actually access the backpack.

Could you place a layer over it, to darken or gray out the currently unavailable backpacks?
    I guess I could but I don't think it would work well as an overview then. Green portrait selection with encumberance numbers is a clear indication of which backpack is currently active. Other backpacks can be selected just by clicking on their item slots (with an empty cursor), but transferring items can only be done through portraits (which are placed in the middle). I tried to emulate an item transferring layer over item slots, but they have some weird hardcoded behavior. I have some other ideas but I haven't gotten to it yet.
    I love this!
  • IvanwahIvanwah Member Posts: 3
    Very nice! I just can't wait for this to get compatible with EET so I can finally play it with no UI issues.
    Looks nice!

Though it appears a bit blank behind intelligence and wisdom. Maybe add Lore modifiers to even it out?
    @Thels: could be, but can these modifiers be accessed?
    Ah, sorry. I have no clue how things work under the hood. I thought you'd keep your own internal modifier list or something.