Skip to content

[MOD] Dragonspear UI++ (v2.42)

Comments

• meowdogmeowdog Member Posts: 71
    Gordian wrote: »
    no idea if LeUI has that
    It does. The only difference should be that here the buttons toggle between select/deselect all, while in LeUI they only select all.

• TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 494
    edited January 2022
    Hello, I'm using this awesome mod on an install on a 8 inches screen with 1900 by 1200 resolution.

Since it is small , I also use the Scale User Interface option.

Some things are not visible or clickable : AC in inventory screen, class description in character screen, spellbook in play screen.
    2ceivgyx11yy.jpg
    yk884nhevph0.jpg
    st43rwt55xzo.jpg

Is there a setting in the config files that I could change to optimize the display please ?

@Trouveur
    Is there a setting in the config files that I could change to optimize the display please ?
    Not that I know of. Do you have any suggestions?
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,178
    The mod was designed from scratch for wide screen. The base size of UI window is 1365*768 pixels, which is a size of Scaled interface with 16/9 ratio. 1900*1200 is 16/10 ratio, therefore the UI windows get outside of screen at the edges. There is no simple way to prevent that, the UI would have to by redesigned. One possible way could be to use Scaling UI option of EEex.
    Thank you for this detailed explanation.

It's not a gamebreaker, but I will explore the EEex options then. :)
  • v1ldv1ld Member Posts: 22
    edited January 2022
    You can use a tool like Display Changer to autoswitch your resolution to 1080p at launch so you're in 16:9. DC will launch your game in the required resolution and switch back to native when the game exits, it's pretty painless.

Here's how I did this on my laptop to run at 1080p instead of 4K: Reddit.
  • AllbrotherAllbrother Member Posts: 261
    edited January 2022
    Pecca wrote: »
    - Pressing pause will not advance the dialog

Is there an edit I can make on my install to change this behaviour to vanilla?

Nvm, found the option, duh.
    Post edited by Allbrother on
    v1ld wrote: »
    You can use a tool like Display Changer to autoswitch your resolution to 1080p at launch so you're in 16:9. DC will launch your game in the required resolution and switch back to native when the game exits, it's pretty painless.

Here's how I did this on my laptop to run at 1080p instead of 4K: Reddit.
    Thank you, I did as you suggested and it works perfectly ! :)
  • tmcdtmcd Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 13
    While using this mod the SoD button doesn´t show up in the main menu. Can anyone help?lbxvqo3ffclh.png
    @tmcd
    Do you have SoD installed? Did you use modmerge before installing the mod?
    @meowdog
    Thanks a lot! That was it. I had not installed modmerge. I´ve been away from this game for a long time and forgot what I used to install before using mods.
    wjsuaogysws5.png
  • UlkeshUlkesh Member Posts: 209
    Hello everyone.

Meowdog, thanks for keeping DragonspearUI up to date.
    Pecca, thanks for being still there.

I take the recommended version to be downloaded is the one in the first post.

But, I've been checking this thread and there is a post made by Lunar here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1164259/#Comment_1164259
    with some custom files.

> Has anyone tried them with the latest version of the UI?
    > Has someone actually played with these installed and use them ? If no one did, I could provide feedback later, if they can still be used with the latest version of Dragonspear UI.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited February 2022
    @Ulkesh unfortunately I don't have the mod's latest version, neither the new patch installed in my pc, so I can't comment.

But testing this is super simple. Create a 'movies' folder in your 'my documents' part of the bg. (where baldur.lua normally is)

Normally, any mod installs its files into override folder in the main game folder. However, any folder other than override (movies, sounds, characters, etc.) has higher priority when game reads the data. Create a new folder named movies or sounds inside example: C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition (not the main game folder in the installation folder, there are movie and sound files there!) and put all my custom files inside this folder. Load up the game and see. The game will give priority to my custom files in the movies folder and will read data from there.

If it fails to load (entirely possible I am afraid), or just looks bad, simply delete the newly created 'movies' folder and this will undo the changes. This way you do not replace, touch or corrupt your original mod installation files.
  • 0gur0gur Member Posts: 8
    First of all - thanks for making this mod. It's a fantastic refreshment of both BG and IWD. I have two questions though:

1. I can't find the button for legacy of bhaal and heart of fury difficulties. Both IWD and BG have only story mode available, and the regular difficulty slider.

2. IWD version of the mod has a "disable spacebar in dialogue" option under UI settings. I think it's on by default in BG, but there's no way to turn it off. I play with camera movement under wasd and I found it very weird that you can no longer use space to progress dialogue. Can I change it somehow?
    0gur wrote: »
    1. I can't find the button for legacy of bhaal and heart of fury difficulties. Both IWD and BG have only story mode available, and the regular difficulty slider.
    Should be fixed for IWD. As for BG, in the unmodded game there's no LoB option, you select it when you start a new game.
    0gur wrote: »
    2. IWD version of the mod has a "disable spacebar in dialogue" option under UI settings. I think it's on by default in BG, but there's no way to turn it off. I play with camera movement under wasd and I found it very weird that you can no longer use space to progress dialogue. Can I change it somehow?
    The IWD branch works for non-IWD games, you will get this option in BG.
    Or you can manually add this line to the Baldur.lua file:
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Disable Space Key In Conversations','0')
    edited February 2022
    meowdog wrote: »
    As for BG, in the unmodded game there's no LoB option, you select it when you start a new game.

That's my bad, I tried to cross reference the issue between the games and did go "deep" enough.

Thank you very much.
    One other thing - I don't think there's any way to pregenerate characters in either (BG and IWD) game. I'm fairly sure there should be also an option to export characters in the creation menu. Right now the only way to do it is by starting the game.

And a minor bug in the IWD - when you start a new multiplayer game you're getting a baldur's gate difficulty selection screen.
  • BaptorBaptor Member Posts: 341
    edited February 2022
    Delete Comment
  • UlkeshUlkesh Member Posts: 209
    edited February 2022
    lunar wrote: »
    cut

Thanks for the help.
  • Gho0stGho0st Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2022
    qlop7ebjxg6z.png
    Hi, I'm sorry for my bad English... because I'm not fluent. I would like to know if there is any way to solve this pink background.
    I don't know what I could have done at the time of installation (since I didn't have many options to choose from.)
  • cdxcdx Member Posts: 90
    edited February 2022
    Pecca, meowcat, thank you for the great UI++!

I love how it works and feels, if only the colors were closer to BG2... so I put together a partial recolor :)

Shl0qZo.jpg

I want to learn how to do some modding as well, so I packed it with weidu for anyone who would like to try out a bit of color change (edit: this is just a patch, you need to first install Dragonspear UI++ for it to work):

https://github.com/cdxuu/candlelight-for-uipp/releases/tag/0.1.0

A few comparisons:
    grS9g0B.jpg
    PPkc2YS.jpg

MPhtyGZ.jpg
    nIX9r46.jpg

Qgk86YH.jpg
    UQmG8oI.jpg

It is not a full recolor of the interface, only the main elements are changed, but the mix doesn't look too bad.
  • skushaskusha Member Posts: 136
    @cdx, that looks really good!
    Can you make something similar, but for the IWD version of Dragonspear++ ?
    So that the interface of this version would be in some kind of winter style?
    I did only two bits for a test and it seems pleasant. I could do an icy one, as well.

Here are the invertory and spell book screens, with only the main element changed. Maybe the spellbook looks a bit too blue. Then there is a version which is less blue.

wHouzgC.jpg

f5IzIni.jpg

eWBQEfL.jpg

I'm not sure which one I like better. The bluer one is maybe a bit too bluish but looks more frozen, which is nice. What do you think, @skusha?

Also, I'm wondering whether a separate patch would be better, or one patch with two options, which would add up to about 90MB.
    edited February 2022
    @cdx, It also looks very good!
    But, in my opinion, this view is a bit "icy" skin. :)
    Is it possible to make it more snowy/white? (at least a couple of screens)
    And at the expense of multiple versions of the skins in one patch, I think this will be the best solution. Especially since @meowdog soon promised to release one single version of Dragonspear++ for BG and IWD.
    I fiddled with it quite a bit but it's difficult to get snowy look out of images that are so dark. Here are the two sets that looked most ok-ish. The first one seems more "snowed on", but the second one is much more balanced.

"snowed-on / glare"
    sGsBqxv.jpg
    0HzY7op.jpg

"balanced"
    aRwJf7s.jpg
    RNsnLUA.jpg

The new images are (nearly) greyscale so inconsistencies introduced by the patch will pop out more compared to just using different color.
  • FelipefplFelipefpl Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 122
    Kongratz cdx for your work, i hope the dev of UI++ will add this possibility to his mod.
    @cdx yes, this version looks harmonious, and to my mind, more suitable for IWD, as well as keeping the dragon style. I'm waiting for the full release on github to try it in the game.

PS And the buttons at the bottom of the screen on the left and right (maps, journal, mage book, etc.) can somehow also change in the right color scheme?
    edited February 2022
    Yes Felipe, the dev/maintainer should feel free to include this as an option in the UI++ mod, if they choose to. After all, it's their images I've taken and recolored. The only reason I'm not saying "stolen" is because I'm giving them back with proper credit :). @Pecca, @meowdog, let me know if you want to put this directly in the mod!

The only caution against including it would be that the patch is not a full reskin, it only recolors the major parts of the ui and might feel inconsistent / shoddy compared to the original Dragonspear UI++. From that angle, it could make sense to have the proper UI mod separately from a half-baked patch :smiley:.

@skusha, which one of the snow options do you reckon is better ("snowed-on/glare" or "balanced")? I like the "balanced" a bit better, but some feedback would be useful before I start on it.
    And yes, I should be able to change the buttons, too.
    edited February 2022
    @cdx, "snowed-on / glare" seems more appropriate to me. It's more contrasty, and it shows the elements and details of the GUI more clearly. But, of course, it's better to test yourself in the game, so that there is no doubt. If you can improve the buttons and all the other details, it will be a great result!