Skip to content

Deleted.

Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
edited November 2018 in Off-Topic
Deleted.
Post edited by Yulaw9460 on

Comments

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Loved that game back in the day. I haven't run it since then (back in the day). I've seen a game called Enemy on steam that seemed to capture some of the classic Xcom and Jagged Alliance type feel. Might be worth checking out. Terror in the Deep was scary.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    X-COM Enemy Unknown is great, but get the DLC Enemy Within too (adds a few missions and heaps new content in terms of upgrades etc etc)
    I've played the game thru almost twice, which is with my busy lifestyle short of a miracle. Yes, that good!

(A tip for starters - rush to get as many satellites up as soon as possible to prevent panic and countries leaving)
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    I have all the old DOS Xcom games, but I can't, for the life of me, figure out what the hell is going on with the controls. To me, Baldur's Gate or Wizardry seems like LEGO Star Wars compared to Xcom....
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I used to love throwing incendiary grenades on everything that moved in the first and second XCOM games. And of course nuke everything to bits and pieces with the blaster launcher. Setting up the guided missiles around corners etc was alot of fun. I played XCOM 1 and 3 alot more than 2 though (terrors from the deep is XCOM 2, right?).
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    I have the old XCom games but I stopped playing them after I had trouble getting them to run after installing community fixes, mods, etc.

edited November 2018
    Deleted.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I believe it is intentional that you shouldn't be able to keep all nations on side.
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    this thread made me look to see if there were any "HD remakes" of Terror from the Deep.

Found this:
    http://openxcom.org/

and this
    "the best total conversion for any game I’ve ever played." according to a guy at rock paper shotgun
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/03/30/x-piratez-xcom-mod/
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    It's not difficult having all countries stay. Just choose missions wisely and wait with launching satellites until a country is about to drop. Satellite coverage is the key.
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    I've had lots of fun with Xenonauts. It's kind of an X-COM remake without the license. Atmosphere is pretty similar to first X-COM and combat is way better IMO.
    Yulaw9460 said:

Southpaw said:

X-COM Enemy Unknown is great, but get the DLC Enemy Within too (adds a few missions and heaps new content in terms of upgrades etc etc)
    I've played the game thru almost twice, which is with my busy lifestyle short of a miracle. Yes, that good!

(A tip for starters - rush to get as many satellites up as soon as possible to prevent panic and countries leaving)

Yeah, I tried it on the easiest setting. After the first 4 missions with a spotless mission record every time I still had, like, 10 nations or so pretty much ready to bolt in panic. Is that supposed to happen? Are they supposed to freak out like that, even when I'm successful?
    It's very difficult to not lose any on your very first playthrough. Choose terror missions on countries that are in chaos already as making that country will get better, but the CONTINENTS of the others will get closer to panicking. Launch as many satellites as soon as possible above countries that are the most panicked. You'll do better next time, it's a learning experience.
    edited November 2016
    Southpaw said:

Yulaw9460 said:

Southpaw said:

Yeah, I tried it on the easiest setting. After the first 4 missions with a spotless mission record every time I still had, like, 10 nations or so pretty much ready to bolt in panic. Is that supposed to happen? Are they supposed to freak out like that, even when I'm successful?
    It's very difficult to not lose any on your very first playthrough. Choose terror missions on countries that are in chaos already as making that country will get better, but the CONTINENTS of the others will get closer to panicking. Launch as many satellites as soon as possible above countries that are the most panicked. You'll do better next time, it's a learning experience.
    In the early stages, never launch a satellite until one country is just about to break out and just before the end of the month. Never launch satellites in the early period of a month, since many events can trigger before the end that will decrease panic in the countries anyways. If you always have one satellite in backup and do this, as well as not picking countries because of their bonuses, then it's possible to keep all countries throughout the game and thus maximizing the income and the bonuses.

Edit: haha, just realized this thread is ancient. I just saw it in the list of participated discussions.
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Skatan said:

In the early stages, never launch a satellite until one country is just about to break out and just before the end of the month...

I think this is a good tip, but unless you are playing on a higher difficulty or being unlucky, you do not NEED to optimise that much. Still a good tip.
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.