Skip to content

[MOD] High Power Baldur's Gate v2.5.0

Comments

• joshua15502joshua15502 Member Posts: 9
    wow this realy looks like unique and exciting new BG1!
    I cant wait to try
    ty!
    OlvynChuru
    edited March 2019
    Hi i have some questions ,i have install this mod in a newly downloaded steam BGEE latest version ,but the item\skill 's names and descripstions isnt match ,what can i do about this ?

p4f20bwkfbdt.png
    you can see as above the name and descriptions are not matching items

lookingforward to any advises
    OlvynChururami
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Hi i have some questions ,i have install this mod in a newly downloaded steam BGEE latest version ,but the item\skill 's names and descripstions isnt match ,what can i do about this ?

p4f20bwkfbdt.png

Did you install the mod, or did you copy and paste the files from the mod folder? Make sure you install the mod.

Are there any mods you installed after this one?

Are you playing the latest version of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition (with or without Siege of Dragonspear)? This mod is meant for Baldur's Gate 1: Enhanced Edition, and not for Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition.

I don't know exactly what the problem is, but one of these might be it.
    joshua15502rami
    edited March 2019
    OlvynChuru wrote: »

Did you install the mod, or did you copy and paste the files from the mod folder? Make sure you install the mod.

Are there any mods you installed after this one?

Are you playing the latest version of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition (with or without Siege of Dragonspear)? This mod is meant for Baldur's Gate 1: Enhanced Edition, and not for Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition.

I don't know exactly what the problem is, but one of these might be it.

thank you for you reply
    i install this mod by the project infinite, and also amnually .not copy&paste.
    game is BG1:EE in the latest version
    and there is no other mods i am running atm
    I Tried both English and Chinese localization, but doesnt seems working
    Post edited by joshua15502 on
    edited July 2019
    thank you for you reply
    i install this mod by the project infinite, not copy&paste.

Ah, I see. That might be the problem. I did not actually make this mod compatible with Project Infinity yet. I don't know why Project Infinity already has this mod. The current version of the mod (Version 1.7) can be downloaded on the first post of this thread. I'll give you another download link here.
    Post edited by OlvynChuru on
    joshua15502rami
    thank you for you reply

Ah, I see. That might be the problem. I did not actually make this mod compatible with Project Infinity yet. I don't know why Project Infinity already has this mod. The current version of the mod (Version 1.7) can be downloaded on the first post of this thread. I'll give you another download link here.

thank you for replying.
    sorry if i make u confused , i am not native speaker.
    i download your mod from this thread and try to install with PI.

i might just redownload both game and mod and install manually
    OlvynChuru
    edited March 2019
    thank you for you reply

Sorry to disturb you again, but i have redownload both game and mod, (run in English Localization),
    the error is still present. :(

hka2r62y6elv.png

i am thinking out laud ,if the error is caused by localization .
    would it be fixed if u could share me your english localization file? the dialog.tlk .
    OlvynChuru
    That's really weird. This mod uses WeiDU's SAY function to add new strings to dialog.tlk and give them to the items, spells, and creatures. If those items are displaying strings from Siege of Dragonspear, that means that the SAY function isn't working right here.

Maybe it's a problem with the fact that you're using Steam. I don't play Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition on Steam, so I don't know exactly what the problem would be, but I've noticed that there's a tool called Modmerge that allows mods to be used with WeiDU on Steam, implying that the mods don't normally work on Steam.

Take a look at Modmerge here. I've never used it before, but perhaps this will solve the problem.
    edited March 2019
    That's really weird. This mod uses WeiDU's SAY function to add new strings to dialog.tlk and give them to the items, spells, and creatures. If those items are displaying strings from Siege of Dragonspear, that means that the SAY function isn't working right here.

Maybe it's a problem with the fact that you're using Steam. I don't play Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition on Steam, so I don't know exactly what the problem would be, but I've noticed that there's a tool called Modmerge that allows mods to be used with WeiDU on Steam, implying that the mods don't normally work on Steam.

Take a look at Modmerge here. I've never used it before, but perhaps this will solve the problem.

Thank you . i used the modmerger it shows:
    roikclewwiqc.png
    the names and descriptions of mod spell&item become all " no name"
    insteed of previous "non related words" or "pieces of chat scentenses"
    soepgzqwf7lq.png

i forgot to mention in the previous Posts, but it seems like items in SoD and also Mod items / spell are all affected with all these tryings.just looks like the second pic.( spell/item name and description error)

Post edited by joshua15502 on
  • ramirami Member Posts: 17
    edited April 2019
    Very Interesting! The Problem of SCS was always that for example Spellcasters feel all like the same.... Every Spellcaster instanly Get all defensive Buffs and then goes on... so the feeling of unique battles is gone if every Spellcaster has the same Routine... If this Mod makes really every fight different, ill love it! ill test it in next days, mb at this evening! Too sad there is no compatibility for now with other many Mods like SCS.. But generally what Mods can you recommend to combine with High Power(not like scs, Manual Mod installation, so not too many mods)?
    Thanks for Work sounds Awesome!!
    OlvynChurulolien
  • ramirami Member Posts: 17
    i played highpower on another pc/machine for a few hours until nashkell, now im back home and started up megamod installation without high power mod but i really miss that cool mod!
    i played in highest degree of difficulty and it was challenging fun, nice that not all fights was to win for me, had to flee from deadly Doppelgangers, use staffs, potion to see how to survive :) Liked it!
    Every Creature ive fighted felt special, every players character special skills gave unique feeling what BG really need, Items are nice and interesting. i think this highpower Mod is mb more fun than than megamod installation for fighting system ...and megamod installation need to much time for mortals....xD so i cant wait for version 2.0 of highpower and do two paralel installation one extra for HP 2.0.
    for the future my dream is to see this funny fresh feeling mod compatibility to megamod installations... :>
    some things where not perfect like the noobs called xvartz doing the mighty timestop :/
    some things was frustrating like the squirrel shapeshifting hobgoblins xD
    but this mod is best new one for me and many aspects should be in vanilla bg!
    great work and keep going on!

OlvynChurulolien
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    @rami I noticed you had some posts here caught by the forum's automated spam filter. You seem to have eventually gotten past it and said what you wanted to, so I did not restore the caught posts as they would be redundant, but I did verify you so that this sort of thing should not happen again.
    lolien
    edited April 2019
    @rami
    rami wrote: »
    i played highpower on another pc/machine for a few hours until nashkell, now im back home and started up megamod installation without high power mod but i really miss that cool mod!
    i played in highest degree of difficulty and it was challenging fun, nice that not all fights was to win for me, had to flee from deadly Doppelgangers, use staffs, potion to see how to survive :) Liked it!
    Every Creature ive fighted felt special, every players character special skills gave unique feeling what BG really need, Items are nice and interesting. i think this highpower Mod is mb more fun than than megamod installation for fighting system ...and megamod installation need to much time for mortals....xD so i cant wait for version 2.0 of highpower and do two paralel installation one extra for HP 2.0.
    for the future my dream is to see this funny fresh feeling mod compatibility to megamod installations... :>
    some things where not perfect like the noobs called xvartz doing the mighty timestop :/
    some things was frustrating like the squirrel shapeshifting hobgoblins xD
    but this mod is best new one for me and many aspects should be in vanilla bg!
    great work and keep going on!

I'm glad to hear you had fun playing High Power Baldur's Gate!

Which big mods in particular would you like this mod to be compatible with? In the case of Sword Coast Strategems, I'll probably wait until the next version of SCS comes out before I attempt to make this mod partially compatible with SCS.
    Post edited by OlvynChuru on
    edited April 2019
    In previous versions, joinable NPCs gained new abilities as well as new passive effects, but player-created characters only got new abilities. In Version 2.0, player characters will also get their own special passive effects based on their class and their kit.

754m4n7ptnvl.png

dmd6xff2ei3c.png

269ht0f3qqha.png

w1tl24if6v2b.png
    Gusindalolien
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    This is a GEM of a mod.
    Reading through this thread made me quite reluctant to try it (i.e. Xvarts using Time Stop whenever they *move*?! WTF?), imba abilities on NPCs etc. Basically, not my cup of tea. But...getting bored with the usual SCS setup I decided to give it a go.
    This mod is the most fun I had in BG1 ever (and that's pretty much 20 years).
    Xvarts, while being mildly annoying, are probably the least of your worries here; i.e. - they don't move if they attack, so approachin them in stealth and grabbing their attention makes them just as easy as vanilla.
    Number of new/tweaked/improved enemies is absurd. There's no "easy" battles anymore here. Basilisk XP farm? Lol. Even lowly Gnolls make one suffer if not prepared for them.
    So far, I'm exploring the wilderness (last save just before Siren in lighthouse area...didn't notice Damage Turning :) ). Best battles so far:
    - Bandit Camp (unfortunately, the mage with large skeleton horde escaped for some reason)
    - Nashkel mines
    - Doomsayer. I did this at level 5!. Epic battle.

jjn05iy64fym.png

Every single encounter feels hand-stiched to be unique; difficult and rather rewarding when you finish it.
    Exellent mod.

some screenies:

687hhv4ecdy1.png

wyltloah7ajf.png

qvoeoriafdn6.png

dwhbjzcxiaow.png

yl7592vf4ccx.png

8pjosux9fa3w.png
    switOlvynChuruStummvonBordwehrlolien
    @Aasim Thank you! I'm glad you are enjoying it. Keep sharing your feedback!
    I find it more enjoyable than that IWD mod you made (not that improved hof is bad, I just can't dig IWD).
    It's great, a whole new experience. Currently at Cloakwood mines, level 1. Can't wait to see what Davaeorn has in store for me.
    Atmosphere is rather neat here (i.e. "feeling of being watched.."). I think I quicksave about 10 times per map. :)
    OlvynChuru
    Gorpel Hind and his merry band (the guys who enter the inn after u talk to adventurer party) spawn twice. I don't know if this is intended - but it makes for a crazy fight.

cjb3t4lwxrjb.png

kpat2e6r6iut.png

Mind you, I did it with just one casualty.
    ldxw4oj9bdcq.png

lolien
    edited June 2019
    @Aasim The spawning twice thing is something I fixed early on in my work on Version 2.0. Once I release Version 2.0, that won't happen again.

In the meantime, you've earned your double reward! :p
    lolien

Yup. Not that I'm short in stats or equipment, in any case. :) Protagonist (Vagrant kit from Improved Anvil) has 25/25/25/17/19/22 already. Dual axes galore. My figher-priest has a mace that shoots Chain Lightings. Love it.
    I'm almost now done exploring BG, so should head out around Firewine ruins/Durlag soon. So far, so good - Sunin was rahter annoying - not him per se; but that thief guy kept on chunking my party...am glad it is over.

I also got 5+ Tomes while fighting Helmed Horrors. Uber annoying area (house just to the left of Baldur's inn) with perma-invisible guards. Auch. The only enemy more annoying than them I've dealt with so far was a single Winter wolf near Nashkel. I don't even know what to do with INT tomes anymore.

2 questions
    - is there SoD part or will my party be set on autoattack and demolish everything? Tbh; I'm fine either way.
    - will there be a BG2 part?

OlvynChurulolien
    @Aasim
    Aasim wrote: »

Yup. Not that I'm short in stats or equipment, in any case. :) Protagonist (Vagrant kit from Improved Anvil) has 25/25/25/17/19/22 already. Dual axes galore. My figher-priest has a mace that shoots Chain Lightings. Love it.
    I'm almost now done exploring BG, so should head out around Firewine ruins/Durlag soon. So far, so good - Sunin was rahter annoying - not him per se; but that thief guy kept on chunking my party...am glad it is over.

I also got 5+ Tomes while fighting Helmed Horrors. Uber annoying area (house just to the left of Baldur's inn) with perma-invisible guards. Auch. The only enemy more annoying than them I've dealt with so far was a single Winter wolf near Nashkel. I don't even know what to do with INT tomes anymore.

2 questions
    - is there SoD part or will my party be set on autoattack and demolish everything? Tbh; I'm fine either way.
    - will there be a BG2 part?

There is no SoD part. Some creatures in SoD will be empowered, but only when they use the same creature files as the creatures I modified in BG1. I do plan on modifying SoD in the future, but that'll come much later; Version 2.0 won't add much SoD content.

I currently have no plans to make a BG2 version of High Power Baldur's Gate. BG2 is an enormous game and would probably take a year or two more to modify. I might consider starting to modify it after I finish creating content for SoD, but that's a long time in the future. For now, this mod is for BG1 only. Once you beat Sarevok, you've basically beaten the mod.

Also, once Version 2.0 comes out, it will require you to install EEex first. EEex has an option to let you actually see invisible enemies when a party member with invisibility detection is selected. When Version 2.0 is installed, it will enable that option automatically. Then, Invisible Stalkers and Winter Wolves will be far less annoying.

One last thing: how did you get the Vagrant kit in Baldur's Gate 1? I thought Improved Anvil was only for Baldur's Gate 2, and I thought the mod that installed the Vagrant kit separately was taken down. I'm asking because Version 2.0 will give unique abilities to some custom kits, and I might give unique abilities to Improved Anvil kits if there's a reasonable way to get them for Baldur's Gate 1.
    @Aasim

One last thing: how did you get the Vagrant kit in Baldur's Gate 1? I thought Improved Anvil was only for Baldur's Gate 2, and I thought the mod that installed the Vagrant kit separately was taken down. I'm asking because Version 2.0 will give unique abilities to some custom kits, and I might give unique abilities to Improved Anvil kits if there's a reasonable way to get them for Baldur's Gate 1.

It is only for BG2; but it's fairly straightforward thing to do. I don't have only Vagrant, I'm also having a Riskbreaker in my party. She's crap at low levels, however. All the IA kits can be installed on BG1 with little effort.
    1) Download the mod (6.4 is the latest)
    2) extract to BG1 directory
    3) edit Anvil's .tpa to install *only* new kits, and remove REQUIRE_PREDICATE_ENGINE blah blah so the installer runs on BG1 (also comment out NPC changes in kits since there's no Valygar etc in BG1)
    4) copy/paste relevant CLAB spells from Anvil/resources/spells to override

It could be made much more convinient (i.e. copy relevant kit .spl files together with kits via Weidu rather than dropping them in the override) but I didn't really bother.
    I installed them since I want to continue this powergaming run in BG2 as well, and I doubt SCS would present enough challenge. And the flavour is vastly different as it is, + I haven't played Anvil in ages.
    lolien
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    @Aasim any chance you could actually share these files in private messages?
    edited June 2019
    Arthas wrote: »
    @Aasim any chance you could actually share these files in private messages?

Will do.

@OlvynChuru

I finished your mod. :)
    All of my party members ended up with 25 STR, DEX, CON, INT, I missed few WIS and CHA to be fully maxed. Not that it matters anyway.
    Great stuff; had it's share of wtf moments, the top one being encountering this
    q7r7meo2zx32.png

Other than that - I did the BG city stuff up to Iron Throne, left them for later (big mistake; I missed Free Action ring dearly) and went to Durlags after doing Shapeshifter sword quest (very hard, and I ended up using Pro Magic srolls there).
    Before Durlag, Khark. Bleh...I can't remember the details of the fight, but reloaded 5+ times on it.
    ydzf44zzjn8n.png

Tbh, didn't like Durlag. Ghouls, ghouls everywhere. You can't see them. They seem to hit very often and paralyze almost always. And seem to spawn indefinitely. If they gave 0 XP, I'd be very angry.
    Wywerns..dear lord. Here I really missed having a dedicated ranged character.
    Room with Winter wolves and Kaladran (bear) - I CTRL-Yed all of them. That+s the only cheat (besides one more, see further) I used in the game. Too nerve-taxing. One single Winter wolf is annoying as hell, but the bear. THE bear...
    Chess battle was nice. I reloaded several times, and the last attempt was surprisingly fluid - I just hacked the king into pieces; w/o bothering much with anything else. Maybe his initial protective spells got disrupted; can't say since most of the battles here are grinding your teeth for survival. And playing at 50FPS doesn't help much. :)
    Final level before Demon - my God. When I saw "Strenght of One" being cast on my characters I tought this is a bug.
    Then nobody could move anymore. A LOT of micromanagement was required to get through the dungeon.

fduxi4mgi5y2.png

I tought the skeletons with exploding Ice arrows were bad. Then I met a Champion skeleton. Note that I didn't have a thief in my party, so some of the battles were even harder than they should be. But this guy could litteraly chop my whole party to pieces. Alone. And he comes with a priest and a mage.
    W/o that innate sorcerer Energy Blades, there would be no getting past him. Ended up kiting him to death. I don't really like it, but sest la vie.

4obylryhggv6.png

And when you think you've seen it all - spiders....vorpal spiders. Teleporting spiders that spawn more spiders. With mirror images. Harm casting spiders. Even Anvil doesn't have creatures like this. Add in that I can't disarm web traps, you got yourself a battle worthy of a dozen reloads.
    Cool.
    Surprisingly enough, the final demon wasn't too hard. First was a test attempt, ended up *almost* killing him. 2nd attempt was virtually flawless (see all the red portraits); and that was it for Durlag's Tower.

64cscp2va30w.png

Back to city, finish Iron Throne flunkies (too easy with this equipment, 1st attempt success albeit had a bit of luck since Spheres didn't get anyone)

n8s5ibpapbgo.png

Back to Candlekeep. All kind ok, up until a monster guarding Tome of Strenght we had no means of killing (would be too spoilerish to say which one it was). I cheated in some way to kill it. Cruel, cruel mod. :)
    And frankly, the Tome was useless - I think I still have 2 of those stashed in Bag of Holding somewhere....

With Candlekeep done (nice job on Bhall abilities - much better than vanilla crap) we went to finish Aec Letec. I was expecting a bloodbath. And I got it as soon as we arrived. Things got easier later thou....

pvq38xhlq1j3.png

That's my sorcerer who has no use of CON, but what the hell...

Big demon was quite dissapointing imo. Pet mage died instantly.

0cm7kn7bpxja.png

And Aec about 8 seconds later. Big damage....very big damage.
    t9tg9llf6e2j.png

That done, Ice Island. All fine with summons tanking the magic, until Dezkiel. Ended up using summons again, otherwise this guy simply chunks everybody. He died to what was almost a 3-digit critical hit. (the chick that hit him is a Riskbreaker, so crits on 17 and above)

aj8nef1tleiz.png

Werewolfs - nothing special to say about the area.

Krystin & Slythe.
    Auch. This is hard. Making them switch targets (and summoning a crapton of trash to absorb a few blows) was the key here - if one character is focused, he goes down (often times chunked) in less then a round. I played with max HP rolls, but it didn't really help much.
    Overall, probably best balance ratio of enemy difficulty vs party power I've seen. I really enjoyed this battle. It's just that you have to do so much in so little time with so little resources.
    Aftermath:

oeqqiu8ysfsp.png

Yup, no deaths here.

Undercity maze is HELL. Litteraly.
    Durlag was *easy* compared to that. Instakill; use Death Ward, Dispel, instakill. Be smarter, avoid instakill, and then meet - THE Slime.
    Slime WILL kill you.
    Over and over again....if I had hair I would have pulled it out.
    Used NI to see what this little piece of s**t actually does....meh. Didn't enjoy it one bit.

Pre-Sarevok party - not to bad. Several reloads due to party members being pommeled to other side of the map where they aggroed skeletons. Much easier with smarter target picking.

4ekij2ss6m9a.png

As per finale...hahahahhahahah.
    Thing is, I don't even remember what this battle is like w/o SCS. There, Sarevok is invulnerable until you kill his gang.
    And the floor isn't trapped.
    So, I figured I'll play this battle as I do SCS version. That didn't really work well, tbh.

p7ny46ygpyrf.png

Had a few good attempts, but eventually somebody gets chunked or protagonist dies, mostly due to Angelo.
    2zwiom2lab8n.png

Changed up tactic worked on 2nd attempt. Lured Sarevok close (rest will follow, but whatever), use Iron potions (had 2, but it's enough), Critical strike x2, and done.

Hai-ya.

Overall, I enjoyed this mod a lot. Minus Winter wolves, bear and the Fission Slime enemies were interesting, unique, and I never felt as if I could let my guard down in this run.
    As the best weapon I used, my vote would go to no-named +1 and +2 Bastard swords.

If I go on another run with this mod, I'd probably change the route a bit (Durlag should really be left as *last* thing you do before Sarevok) to get some XP quickly. Wondering around the wilderness was often a very painful experience.
    An archer-type character would be very useful in this mod. Wanting to take this into Anvil territory I skiped on any bow usage since bows are useless there, but having one dedicated ranged character would make some battles much easier (I haven't fired a single arrow in the game).

Suggestions:
    - healing potions. Big healing potions to buy in shops. Small ones do nothing. When a single spell cuts down 150HP of your character, you need some potent healing.
    - regeneration items. Found one ioun stone, and that's it. Since healing spells aren't plentiful at low levels, this forces resting constantly.
    - Fission Slime. I don't know what do do with them, but the one in Durlag is enough for a lifetime.
    - items like Basilisk eye etc which give bonuses other than what tomes give u r great. More of those.
    - kits reworked (I guess this is under way for v2.0)
    - other than that, again, great work. Much more and in a much better package than I expected. New enemies with new sprites, reworked encounters, unique abilities, all work great. The whole game feels "dangerous".
    - I'll probably try to mix this with some other mods (3ed BG) in my next run to see what I end up with, and to put those Tomes to good use.

And a small bug - Cloak of shield effects and description don't match- it improves all AC rather than only missile.
    OlvynChuruGusindalolien
    edited June 2019
    @Aasim

Congratulations! B)

In Version 2.0 (or if you install EEex now and turn the Detect Invisibility option on), invisible enemies won't be nearly as big of a pain. I'll also weaken Fission Slimes at bit.

I was aware of how good the Bastard Sword +2 was. Items which increase the physical damage you do by a percentage won't be quite as ridiculous in Version 2.0.

In Version 2.0, I'm adding the 2nd-level spell Cure Moderate Wounds from IWD:EE. That'll give you some more options for healing at low levels.

I will probably decrease the number of stat-increasing tomes in the mod, since late in the game there are a ton of them.

Also, if you don't have any non-magical weapons to deal with the enemy in the Candlekeep catacombs, there is a non-magical fork in one of the tombs you could try using. ;)
    Gusindalolien