Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

[MOD] High-Power Baldur's Gate Version 1.7

OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 1,841
edited July 2018 in BG:EE Mods
This mod in a nutshell:

This mod gives enemies ridiculous powers they have no right to have: xvarts stop time whenever they move, giant spiders summon additional spiders each time they hit you, tasloi use their berserking gaze to make party members attack each other, and much more. The tougher enemies are much worse. There are some enemies in the Cloakwood Mines now that could probably solo Sarevok in the unmodded game with ease. Altogether, the enemies are much stronger as a result of their new powers. The good news is that your party gets powered up as well.

Each NPC party member gains additional abilities and passive effects. For example:

- Xzar now has permanent Aura Cleansing (he can begin casting another spell right after casting his previous one), and he can cast Control Undead and Energy Drain at will and summon hordes of skeletons which ignore the summoning limit.

- Imoen now attacks five times per round no matter what weapon she uses and can cast Phantom Blade, creating a sword which can now attack at long range (allowing her to backstab at long range).

- Kivan has increased vision range, allowing him to see enemies who cannot see him back, and he can attack those enemies with ranged attacks from an increased distance.

- Edwin can now cast double spells of all spell levels; this also doubles the additional spells from his amulet and his conjurer kit (if he equips a Ring of Wizardry he can cast quadruple spells!).

All the NPC party members are given awesome powers like these.

In addition, the protagonist - as well as any other player character created at the start of the game - will gain innate abilities based on their class and their kit.

For example, a Paladin player character with no kit will be able to cast Draw Upon Holy Might, Holy Power, Righteous Magic, Champion's Strength, Chaotic Commands, Death Ward, Negative Plane Protection, and Critical Strike (ability from Throne of Bhaal) once per day each.

Some classes and kits will get abilities they can use at will. An Enchanter can cast Greater Malison at will, and multiple Greater Malisons now stack. A Conjurer can cast Conjure Lesser Kobold at will to get an endless army of kobold meatshields that ignore the summoning limit.

These abilities are meant to make them somewhat on par with the NPC party members. The protagonist will also get more powerful abilities from the dreams. By the end of the game, a good protagonist will be able to cast spells like Greater Restoration and Mass Raise Dead, while an evil protagonist will be flinging around abilities like Emotion: Hopelessness and a much more powerful version of Energy Drain.

I've greatly empowered all magical weapons and armor, with the exception of certain ammunition and shields. The items usually have new abilities and often have greater enchantment. I even modified generic +1 and +2 magical weapons and armor. For example, the Katana +1 now gives the wielder the effects of Kai while it's equipped (this also makes enemies that use these items tougher).

Additionally, I've added a lot of new items to the game. Some of them are original to me; others were taken from Baldur's Gate 2, Icewind Dale, or Planescape Torment. I've spread cool items throughout the stores in the game so that almost every shop sells something interesting.

I've increased the rewards from many quests. Now more quests will reward you with unique items you can't get anywhere else, rather than just a small amount of gold or a weak magic item.

I've also placed lots of stat-increasing manuals and tomes throughout the game, mainly in the hands of enemies. There are enough of them to get one or two party members to 25 in all stats by the end of the game. The mod is designed in such a way that having 25 in all stats isn't completely broken like it would be in the unmodded game.

Although the enemies you face are much more powerful, I tried to avoid spectacle creep as much as possible. For the most part, this mod doesn't pit the party against monsters generally associated with epic level such as balors or liches. Instead, you will usually be facing the same enemies you would in the normal game, except that this mod makes them much stronger. In version 1.6 I did add a dragon to the game, but it's only a juvenile dragon.

This mod also modifies content that was introduced in the Enhanced Edition, namely Rasaad, Neera and Dorn, and the areas, creatures and items that are associated with them, as well as the items that Beamdog put throughout the game.

This mod adds a good number of combat encounters to the game, often in creative ways. It also places a lot of interesting new monsters throughout the game, like Vorpal Spiders, Burning Wizards, and Insidious Lightning Kobolds.

Reasons to try out this mod:

- Since the NPCs all have very different powers, the game can play very differently depending on which NPCs you have in your party.

- The variety of interesting abilities granted to the player characters, as well as the diverse selection of equipment, allow for all sorts of different builds.

- You have great leeway in determining the power level of your party. The mod enables you to change the experience cap and/or have your party start the game at a higher level. The mod has a very flexible difficulty; starting at a higher level will not make the game too easy, but it's still beatable if you start at level 1.

- This mod makes the game feel new and different. You never know what creatures, encounters, or items you'll come across in the next stretch of wilderness. You can't rely as much on prior knowledge of the game.

Lastly, the mod is just plain fun. I made this mod because I was bored with the unmodded game and I wanted to spice it up. I have yet to go back and play Baldur's Gate without this mod.

Other screenshots:

Version 1.7 is out; this is the biggest patch so far.

Change log:
V1.1:
- Gorion can no longer kill the protagonist in the fight with Sarevok.
- The pseudodragon, imp, quasit, and dust mephit familiars will no longer die instantly when summoned.
- A bug with Gretek's dialog in the Helm and Cloak inn has been fixed.
- Phantasmal Killer, Selune's Curse, Selune's Blessing and the cat familiar's True Strike ability now have descriptions.
- Most innate versions of Shaman spells now have descriptions in the non-Siege of Dragonspear version of the game.
- A typo in the Stupidifier's desciption has been fixed.
- Cows no longer produce an unintended string when they use their Great Leap ability.

V1.2:
- 18 extra components have been added; some of them change spells, some change 2da files, others change classes or kits.
- A readme has been added; it explains what the components do.
- The Seeking Sword now dispels Mirror Image and Invisibility effects on hit; I gave it a description, and I updated the description of the Seeking Sword ability, and the description of it in the Priest of Helm description.
- Archer player characters now get Breach at the beginning of the game as they're supposed to.

V1.3:
- 4 more components have been added, and the readme has been updated to explain them.
- War dogs now cast Dog Haste like they're supposed to.
- The Amazing Oopah now loses HP after each explosion as I intended.
- Normal doppelgangers no longer deal nonlethal damage.
- The spell lists of cleric and druid NPC party members have been updated to match my changes to the spells (I had made certain spells usable or unusable by clerics or druids when they weren't before).
- Planetars are no longer immune to +2 weapons.

V1.4:
- 1 more component has been added; it lets you choose whether to change the starting positions of Quayle,
Eldoth and Tiax, so that they can join your party earlier on.
- The gigantic Fomorian Colossus is now a regular-sized Fomorian Giant; the BAM files for the Fomorian Colossus have been removed as they had taken up a total of about 60 megabytes, almost half the size of the entire mod.
Doing this allowed me to upload the mod folder onto GitHub.

V1.5:
- The mod now includes an English TRA file. All strings in the TP2 file have been replaced with TRA references.
- Some, but not all, of the new magic items that previously only had placeholder descriptions now have actual descriptions.
- I fixed some bugs where the contents of certain components would be automatically installed in the main component.

V1.6:
- 1 more component has been added; it makes the effects of bard songs stack.
- I fixed bugs in Chapter 7, and I nerfed Sarevok a bit.
- Eldoth's initial dialogue is no longer different if you choose not to install the component that changes his starting position.
- Gelatinous Spheres now show their animation correctly.
- Tazok's Fist Breath produces fewer fists and won't cause as much slowdown.
- Now creatures that use the Fomorian, Glabrezu, Wererat, Greater Feyr, IWD Shadow and IWD Large Shadow animations will have those animations even if Siege of Dragonspear isn't installed.
- I added some more magic items to the game.
- I modified Adoy's Belt, the Moonlight Walkers, and the Glimmering Bands.
- Noralee now gives a more interesting reward for her quest.
- I moved the Skeleton Berserker from the thieves' maze to the ruins south of the bandit camp, and I made the skeleton weaker so that it could be beaten at that point in the game.
- The special Ring of Protection is no longer worn by Aggrakesh the Infernal Harpy. Instead, it is worn by the ghost Daital. In this mod Daital is very tough and before this version you didn't get anything cool for beating him.
- I put a dragon somewhere in the game. He doesn't drop scales but he has a large hoard.
- I replaced the Know Alignment spell with Identify Creature, which displays a different string depending on the creature it is cast upon. However, so far I have only given a string to about 10% of the creatures I am modifying. I still have much more work to do.

V1.6.1:
- Bassilus now has his Gauntlets of Fumbling again (in previous versions I had taken the gauntlets away from him for some reason).
- Rilsa's Leathers no longer has the wrong icon, and I fixed a bug that stopped some of the effects of the armor from working.
- I fixed glitches in a couple of item descriptions that caused dash characters to be replaced with rectangles. I don't think I've gotten rid of all the rectangles, though.
- Most hobgoblins now wear HELM11 rather than HELM01. This means that if you have the subcomponent "Make all helmets invisible, except for nonmagical decorative helmets" installed, the hobgoblin helmets will still be visible. HELM11 looks identical to HELM01, but it's a different file.
- Hobgoblin Elites no longer have longer casting times.

V1.7:
- I added two more components: "Raise the experience cap" and "Revise Wisdom bonus spell table".
- Dialogue with certain minor characters has been changed.
- I placed more items in certain areas, mainly consumables such as scrolls and stat-increasing tomes.
- A previously mundane store somewhere in Baldur's Gate now sells magical darts of all sorts.
- Player-created conjurers can cast Summon Small Monster 3x/day.
- Player-created diviners can cast Identify Creature 3x/day.
- Player-created bards, regardless of kit, can cast Identify Creature at will.
- Player-created gnome clerics with no kit will gain the Sequencer Touch ability as they were supposed to.
- Player-created clerics with a custom kit will not get Sequencer Touch.
- Edwin can now cast Summon Kobold 5x/day.
- Alora's "Translocation Trick" ability (which allows her to switch places with another creature) now has unlimited range, and she can now use it 9x/day.
- The spells Creeping Doom, Meteor Swarm, Comet, Red Dragon's Breath, and Green Dragon's Breath now have special casting animations.
- Kryll and her skeletons have been weakened.
- Gibberlings move slower (though they still move very fast)
- Winter wolves no longer appear as rest encounters outside the Nashkel Mines.
- Elminster's Random Teleport now functions correctly.
- Algernon now uses his cloak in combat as I intended.
- Rufie now uses his breath weapon in combat as I intended.
- Tarnesh no longer casts Larloch's Minor Drain on himself.
- Brandilar no longer repeatedly talks to you.
- Irlentree no longer transforms into Shalak (which is Zorl's true form). Instead, his true form is a different shapeshifter named Juskal.
- During the fight with the warders, Fear now has the Greater Feyr animation.
- The unique sprite for the Greatest Basilisk now displays correctly (previously the basilisk had a rabbit sprite for some reason).
- Gray Oozes now have fewer hit points and no longer have any magic resistance.
- Mustard Jellies now do more damage.
- Schlumpsha the Sewer King no longer uses all his psionics at once.
- Fire Snakes now have the correct weapon equipped and will use their abilities correctly.
- The shapeshifters in the Merchant's League now have the correct name.
- The Skeleton Executioner now has the correct name.
- Summoned minotaurs now have the correct name.
- The Drusus short sword now has the correct name.
- The Long Sword +1 ability now works correctly.
- The description of the World's Edge sword no longer says that it does piercing damage (that was something from an earlier version of the mod).
- The items MEDART80 and MEDART98 now have names and descriptions: MEDART80 is "Dart +2" and MEDART98 is "Zilzanzer's Magnificent Dart +8".
- Conjure Lesser Kobold now has its own icon.

Known bugs:
- It's possible to get more proficiency points when creating your character than you're supposed to get. This can only happen if you go back to the proficiency screen after spending the points. This bug has something to do with the fact that I've replaced the starting non-magical quarterstaff with a magical staff that gives you proficiency in quarterstaves. I do not plan to fix this bug, because I don't think that the option to be proficient in everything right from the start will make the game too easy.

Tips for playing this mod:

- For the first playthrough, play on Normal difficulty.
- I recommend installing the component that gives additional experience to the PC at the beginning of the game, and setting the experience given to 10000 or 20000.
- When exploring the wilderness, always have a character scout ahead in stealth or invisibility. That way, they will know what enemies are up ahead and your team can prepare for battle without as much metagaming.
- Watch out for doppelgangers. They appear very early in the game in this mod and they deal a lot of damage in melee. If you fight a doppelganger, don't let it get near you.

You can download version 1.6 from GitHub here.

Although I completed version 1.7, I have not yet uploaded it to GitHub and I have not yet made V1.7 compatible with Big World Setup. I'll do those later. In the meantime, you can download the mod right here.

Post edited by OlvynChuru on
mf2112sarevok57AbelAerakarGrammarsaladlolienJuliusBorisovCrevsDaakelminstersemiticgodLuridelLuthfordRAM021StummvonBordwehrbooinyoureyesGotural

Comments

• OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 1,841
    edited December 2018
    (Note: The following comments are old and may not represent the current state of the mod. I've updated my first post to tell you what you need to know about the mod.)

Recently I've been adding a lot of new assassins to the game.
    One of them follows you in stealth until you encounter some more enemies, at which point the assassin and the other enemies will gang up on you.
    There's another assassin who can instantly summon a nabassu on top of each party member. That ought to do it! <- THIS ASSASSIN NO LONGER EXISTS

These are just two out of the five new unique assassins I've created so far.

Eventually I'll end up releasing this mod, probably. The main thing I still have to do is make Durlag's Tower crazier. I've made the floor with the four warders quite a thing, but I still need to deal with the the floors below that.

mf2112
    edited February 2017
    Arthas said:

Remember to not make the mod too frustrating... Tactical doesn't mean frustrating

So far I don't find it frustrating at all. This mod is so fun to play and to make that it's hard for me to go back to the original game.

mf2112
    edited July 2017
    One of my current goals is to make it so that a lot of enemy spellcasters throughout the game have their own unique sets of spells so that they won't all be casting the same spells.

Spellcasters who have gotten this treatment so far include:

Tarnesh
    Degrodel
    Lendarn
    Osmadi
    Hareishan
    The Red Wizard squad
    Droth
    Kahrk
    Several other ogre mages

I've also created some of my own spellcasting enemies and I've given each of them a unique set of spells too.

mf2112
    I've made quite a lot of progress. By now, I've given almost every spellcaster in the game a unique script and a unique set of spells, even if they're a good guy who you're probably not going to kill. So far my override folder has more than 1900 files.

I've changed just about everything in this mod: I've revised many items and spells (in my own way), I've created a few new items and spells, I've given monsters and companions powers that they're not supposed to have, I've created new enemies, and I've put in a lot of little things throughout the game. If you do not want Baldur's Gate mods to make the game "feel like a completely different game," this mod isn't for you, because it makes the game feel very much like a different game. Personally, I like how it makes the game feel completely different.

I do not guarantee that this mod is compatible with any other mods, and it probably isn't.

mf2112
    edited May 2017
    Currently my override folder has more than 2400 files.

The changes I've made to the companions are a big part of this mod. My goal was to make the companions as different as possible. I do this mainly by giving them various innate abilities that are usually copies of high-level spells that they can't otherwise cast. To give you an idea of the kinds of ways I'm modifying these characters, here are the current changes that I've made to some of the mage companions.

Dynaheir:
    - Level increased by 6 for purposes of determining mage spell power
    - 99% innate resistance to fire
    - +10 to hit and damage while unarmed
    - Knows Delayed Blast Fireball as a level 5 spell
    - Can cast Spellstrike 3x/day (I made it so that Spellstrike lowers the target's resistance to fire, cold, electricity, acid and magic damage by 100% for 1 turn)

Edwin:
    - Can memorize double the number of spells for all spell levels
    - Knows Cacofiend and Prismatic Spray as level 5 spells
    - Can cast Summon Hakeashar and Power Word Blind 1x/day each

Xan:
    - 18 Strength, 3 Constitution
    - His spells have triple the normal duration
    - Has five points in daggers and two points in Single-Weapon Style
    - Every hit he makes is a critical hit
    - His moonblade is now a +5 weapon which gives him +99% fire resistance and gives the target a -10 penalty to saves vs enchantment spells for 3 rounds with each hit

Xzar:
    - 18 Intelligence, 18 Wisdom, 3 Constitution
    - 99% innate resistance to cold
    - Has permanent Aura Cleansing
    - Can cast Control Undead at will, Energy Drain at will, and Skeleton Horde 1x/day (Skeleton Horde summons one weak skeleton per level similar to Animate Dead in the original game; they ignore the summon limit)

For comparison, here's an example of a powered-up enemy:

Xvart:
    - 5 attacks per round
    - Can do things during Time Stop, regardless of who uses it
    - Upon moving, it instantly casts a spell that stops time for 5 seconds. It regains this ability after one round.

• agb1agb1 Member Posts: 249
    This sounds like an interesting tweak-overhaul project. It will certainly conflict with AI mods and many other tweak mods, but it likely will be compatible with mods that add new content (quests etc.) or dialogue expansion for NPCs, as it sounds like you are focusing on AI scripts, abilities, spells, creature stats and new spawns.

To make your mod fully compatible with other mods that don't directly conflict with your changes, you still will need to package it using WeiDU and make use of EXTEND_BOTTOM/EXTEND_TOP to add your custom scripts to existing area scripts (so as not to erase changes from other mods) and make use of WeiDU's creature/area patching macros instead of replacing .are and .cre files outright (so you don't delete custom items or creatures that other mods placed there). The alternative would be to dump all of your files into the override folder before installing any other mods, leaving it up to everyone else to use compatible patching methods... which probably would work for a v1 release, but isn't a great plan in the long run.

You can find the latest documentation about how to use WeiDU here. It has a handy feature that can scan a directory and spit out the necessary code to put everything there into the override folder, although that auto-code-generation feature doesn't always use the most modern & optimal methods, so some manual coding is still very much required.

In any case, I look forward to trying this mod when you decide to release it.

OlvynChuru
    So far my override folder has more than 2700 files. I've also started to learn how to use WeiDU. All I've done with it so far is make a program that gives the strings I want to nameless creatures, items and spells.

Using WeiDU to re-mod all the .cre files I've already overwritten will be rough, though. There's no simple formula in the ways I've modified the creatures; I didn't simply double each creature's HP or something like that. Although I did standardize the changes to certain groups of creatures (such as the xvarts as shown above), for other creatures I made their powers all over the place to make them as unique as possible. For example, mutated crawlers have a completely different set of spells from regular carrion crawlers. Almost every unique Iron Throne guard now has their own set of abilities; one of them instantly casts Bigby's Clenched Fist with each punch, while another one shoots lightning bolts each time he gets hit. I also went out of my way to make it so that no two zombies are alike.

Making each enemy as unique as possible in addition to making them stronger is one of the main goals of this mod. Now, fighting a Doom Guard is very different from fighting a Battle Horror or the Doomsayer. Fighting tasloi is very different from fighting xvarts. The original game was filled with enemies which simply walked up to you and attacked you with no tricks up their sleeve, and I decided to change that.

lolien
  • agb1agb1 Member Posts: 249
    It is possible to use a combination of INCLUDE, custom functions and macros to organize your WeiDU code in a very compact way while still applying unique changes to every creature. The Sword Coast Stratagems mod by DavidW is written in this way, with each component in its own file and INCLUDE'd into the main file when needed, while each component file also uses functions and macros defined elsewhere so most of the component files just have a couple of lines for each creature defining at a high level what is to be done.

OlvynChuru
  • CiceroSoloCiceroSolo Member Posts: 4
    This sounds like a lot of fun. Definitely interested in playing!

So far my override folder has about 2900 files. I haven't been working on the mod too much in the past month or two, but I'm going to try to get back to it.

The player character and his or her companions in this mod are about as powerful as they are in Shadows of Amn, but they are powerful in a different way than they are in SoA. They have all these extra abilities I gave them, but they are still no higher level than they would normally be in the first game.

I also made the challenges they face more dangerous, but not by adding in the usual powerful DnD monsters. I didn't fill the game with umber hulks and demiliches and stuff like that. Instead, I made the existing enemies more powerful in weird ways, such as with xvarts as I mentioned earlier.

This is not a difficulty mod. It'll make some parts of the game easier and some parts of the game harder. All the enemies have been powered up; the only question is whether the powerup on the player's side will make it easier than if no one was powered up.

Another thing which will make the party more powerful is the items. I've modified a lot of weapons, mainly ones with an enchantment of +2 or greater. Weapons which previously had a +2 enchantment and nothing else now have abilities.

I've also made it so that many enemy characters throughout the game drop stat-increasing tomes. You could potentially have one or two characters with 25 in all stats by the end of the game. The mod is made in such a way that having 25 in all stats doesn't break the game like it would the unmodded game.

JuliusBorisovlolien
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 558
    edited January 2017
    I'm also making new items. Here's a new cloak I made:

Aerakarlolien
    My override folder has hit 3000 files (it was exactly 3000 the last time I checked).

By now I've been working on this mod for about a year, and over that time I've gotten a lot better at modding. The initial modifications I made to creatures a long time ago were done with EEKeeper alone. I didn't use NearInfinity (I actually had NearInfinity but it crashed whenever I did pretty much anything with it; it took me a while to realize that I was using a really old version of NearInfinity which was made before the EEs. Now I have a newer version of it.).

I was able to do some pretty cool things with EEKeeper alone, but a lot of the modifications I made were really primitive, and I'm still trying to undo the mess I made. For example, I wanted to make vultures summon special enemies each round. However, since EEKeeper doesn't let me make new spells or creatures, I had to modify an existing summoned creature. I edited the nishruu (which nobody in the game could summon) to make it the special creature I wanted. Then I gave the vulture a Cast Spell on Condition effect that made it cast Summon Nishruu every round.

Nowadays, I want some enemies to summon REAL nishruus, so once I got a usable NearInfinity I reverted the nishruu file back to the way it was and made a unique creature file for the vultures to summon. However, I still have more stupid mistakes to correct.

lolien
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 822
    edited February 2017
    Hm. You working with EEkeeper means you write the changes directly into the files/dialog.tlk of your game. You working on this for over a year means that by now you are probably using an outdated version of BG:EE meaning you won't be able to share your mod with others because their dialog.tlk won't match the one you started with, at least to a very high probability (does anyone know whether there were dialog.tlk changes from version to version?)
    I can't stress enough the usefulness of WeiDU to make a everywhere-installable version of a mod.

OlvynChuruAerakar
    Good news: within the past week or two I've learned how to use WeiDU to modify files in ways that don't involve strings (as I mentioned in an earlier post I have been using WeiDU to give names to my files for quite a while).

Right now my override folder has about 3100 files without the WeiDU installation, but filling that folder is no longer the ultimate goal. Instead, I want to be able to install all those files with WeiDU. The only problem is writing the code for all the files. That's going to take a while. But eventually I'm going to finish it.

So far I've done the following things with WeiDU:
    *I've given names/descriptions to (or changed the names/descriptions of) most of the items and spells I've created or modified. I've given names to the new creatures I've created.
    *I've written the code to install the changes to the CRE files of all non-SOD companions. They have all the new powers I wanted to give them.
    *I've written the code to install the changes to some of the ARE files I've modified.

I'm still overriding files with EEKeeper and NearInfinity. This is simply because it's easier to figure out what changes I want to make to the files when I'm not looking at them in the form of code. However, eventually I will write WeiDU code for them all.

Oh, and @jastey , my version of BG:EE is not outdated and neither is my dialog.tlk file. The file comes from the latest version of Siege of Dragonspear. I haven't overridden dialog.tlk in a long time.

lolienAerakar
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,852
    You should give this mod a good name @OlvynChuru , to stand out from the mass, and to reflect the awsomness of the content.

JuliusBorisovCrevsDaakOlvynChurumlnevese
    edited July 2017
    I renamed it.

(for anyone who didn't see original name of the mod, it was called the Baldur's Gate Standalone Mod)

Also, even better news! I started writing the WeiDU code for more CRE files than just the companions. Previously I didn't think I'd start this for a while because it was so annoying to write the code for CRE files. Writing the code for the companions took half an hour or more for each. I constantly had to look back at the raw data for them to see in where I'd put their new Strength score or whatever. But I found an easier way to mod their stats!

Previously part of my code for the modifications to Jaheira looked something like this:
    WRITE_BYTE 0x238 18
    WRITE_BYTE 0x239 100
    WRITE_BYTE 0x23a 18
    WRITE_BYTE 0x23b 18
    WRITE_BYTE 0x23c 18
    WRITE_BYTE 0x23d 18
    WRITE_BYTE 0x23e 18
    What that does is set her Strength to 18/00 and the rest of her stats to 18. You see, her file has various slots where it puts the values of her stats, her resistances, her saves, and all the other info about her. Her Dexterity stat is stored in Slot 0x23c, and if you want to change her Dexterity to 18, you do "WRITE_BYTE 0x23c 18".

The problem is that it's annoying having to constantly look back at the CRE files to see what the slots are called when I want to change their stats. I don't want to have to memorize all the 0xwhatevers (I know what those weird 0x numbers really mean but they're still annoying). So, my solution was to name some numbers like "strength" or "dexterity" which are equal to the numbers of the slots. So now, to do the same thing to Jaheira, I just have to write:
    WRITE_BYTE strength 18
    WRITE_BYTE exceptionalstrength 100
    WRITE_BYTE intelligence 18
    WRITE_BYTE wisdom 18
    WRITE_BYTE dexterity 18
    WRITE_BYTE constitution 18
    WRITE_BYTE charisma 18
    This does the same thing as the previous code (it gives her 18/00 Strength and 18 in the other stats), but it's much easier to write and it's more readable. Oh, by the way, giving 18 in all stats isn't something I did to most of the companions; I tried to change them in more interesting ways. That's not to say that I didn't make Jaheira interesting though; I did other things to her besides changing her stats.

One of the things I'm working on right now is to standardize the names of my new files under the prefix ME (I'm trying to make all the names of my files start with those two letters to make sure that they won't share a name with files from another mod). However, so far I haven't registered the prefix (registering it saves it for myself so other people won't use it). I was having trouble getting an account on the Black Wyrm Forums, where the registration thread is held.

I should be done with this mod by the end of my next summer vacation, at the latest.

lolien
    edited March 2017
    Recently I decided to give extra abilities to the player-made characters too. Upon starting a new game at Candlekeep, each player character gains innate abilities based on their class and their kit. Each kit gains a different set of abilities; if a kit made by another modder is being used, the character will gain the same set of abilities that they would if they were unkitted. Unlike the non-player companions, the player characters will not gain any passive effects.

I decided to showcase the abilities of one kit: the Invoker. Actually the Invoker only has one special ability, which is the ability to cast Meteor Swarm once per day (currently there is no other way for the player to cast Meteor Swarm in this mod).

I changed the spell Meteor Swarm significantly. Now it is unlike Meteor Swarm in other DnD games; it bears more resemblance to Elysium's Tears from Planescape Torment, except more powerful and much sillier.

Meteor Swarm now curses the target creature to be hit by 12 small meteors over 5 rounds. Each one deals 1d6 crushing damage and 1d6 fire damage to the target and to anyone within 15 feet. In addition, all creatures affected are knocked back. A successful Saving Throw negates the crushing damage but does not negate the fire damage or the knockback.

I created an Invoker named Azu at Candlekeep and went to the bunkhouse. Carbos was there. He became hostile once Azu began casting Meteor Swarm on him.

As usual, Carbos started summoning his Lesser Death Shades; he managed to summon two before the first meteor hit. Over the next few rounds, he got pounded by multiple meteors, which killed his shades and severely injured him.

Carbos's stoneskins blocked some of the crushing damage, so it looks a bit less powerful than it usually is.

lolienGrammarsalad
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 826
    I find this interesting because my approach when modding (ToB especially) is rather the opposite- decreasing items, xp, and opponent levels... but there are many ways to have fun ;).

lolienOlvynChuru
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,399

Recently I decided to give extra abilities to the player-made characters too. Upon starting a new game at Candlekeep, each player character gains innate abilities based on their class and their kit. Each kit gains a different set of abilities; if a kit made by another modder is being used, the character will gain the same set of abilities that they would if they were unkitted. Unlike the non-player companions, the player characters will not gain any passive effects.

I decided to showcase the abilities of one kit: the Invoker. Actually the Invoker only has one special ability, which is the ability to cast Meteor Swarm once per day (currently there is no other way for the player to cast Meteor Swarm in this mod).

I changed the spell Meteor Swarm significantly. Now it is unlike Meteor Swarm in other DnD games; it bears more resemblance to Elysium's Tears from Planescape Torment, except more powerful and much sillier.

Meteor Swarm now curses the target creature to be hit by 12 small meteors over 5 rounds. Each one deals 1d6 crushing damage and 1d6 fire damage to the target and to anyone within 15 feet. In addition, all creatures affected are knocked back. A successful Saving Throw negates the crushing damage but does not negate the fire damage or the knockback.

I created an Invoker named Azu at Candlekeep and went to the bunkhouse. Carbos was there. He became hostile once Azu began casting Meteor Swarm on him.

As usual, Carbos started summoning his Lesser Death Shades; he managed to summon two before the first meteor hit. Over the next few rounds, he got pounded by multiple meteors, which killed his shades and severely injured him.

Carbos's stoneskins blocked some of the crushing damage, so it looks a bit less powerful than it usually is.

Lol, Carbos is kind of a badass.

That's hilarious!

OlvynChurulolien
    edited March 2017

Lol, Carbos is kind of a badass. That's hilarious!

Everyone is a badass in this mod.

lolien
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 826
    Interesting. I wish someone would do the reverse to ToB, I didn't wade through seas of blood so that all my opponents could be given magic swords and hlas... A few screens of "Ahhh, it's Charname!!! Run!" would do nicely ;).

Mantis37 said:

Interesting. I wish someone would do the reverse to ToB, I didn't wade through seas of blood so that all my opponents could be given magic swords and hlas... A few screens of "Ahhh, it's Charname!!! Run!" would do nicely ;).

That might be funny at first, but it would get boring fast.

Artona
    edited April 2017
    A while ago I showed off an item from this mod, but I don't think that the cloak I showed gives the items in this mod justice. I've been trying to make some REALLY cool items. Here are a few of my favorite custom items:

I've also been modifying in-game items.

I also brought in a few items from Baldur's Gate 2!

I also had an idea for a two-handed shield which can't attack but gives a really large AC bonus, but I couldn't get it to work right.

lolien
    Today I just put my finishing touches on the Nashkel Mines and the Firewine Ruins. Now there are almost 40 different kinds of kobolds, each with their own abilities.

My next task is to finish modifying the content added by Beamdog for Neera, Rasaad and Dorn. When the day is done, goblins will breathe lightning bolts and Rogdok will be a terror to behold!

loliensemiticgod
    edited July 2017
    Okay, the Enhanced Edition content is all modified and WeiDUified. That doesn't include the Black Pits (this mod does not power up any of the enemies in the Black Pits, though it does power up some of the items). Oh, and I wasn't lying about those goblins.

The next thing I'm going to work on is Durlag's Tower, which I've postponed for a long time. That's the last big thing I have to do for this project. After that, I just have to finish up the small things.

lolien
    edited July 2017
    I've been saying more stuff on this thread recently because I'm excited to be so close to finishing this mod that I've worked on for a year and a half.

Today I finished modifying the floor of Durlag's Tower with the warders as well as all of the upper floors and the roof. Now the roof has more ghastly foes than mere basilisks.

lolienelminstersemiticgod