Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    edited May 2017
    After finally beating Big B with Korgath i have decided to park him again for some time. One reason behind this is that my old Compagnon @Vynn asked me if we want to start another Totemic Druid together after Vyzz got stuck in Avernus once he realized that without Violet Potion his chances to hit Big B are pretty suboptimal. @Vynn tried the Magic Resistance + Harm Combo but failed. The rest was bitter as he ran out of invisibility potions before meeting his doom. Vyzz has to be revenged! We are eager to see how level 10 spirits will wrac havoc upon the Sword Coast when pushing XP using the petrifying trick right at the start. This should be funny! :D
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Grond0 said:

I mis-clicked on the conversation with Mulahey though and had to use the cloak repeatedly to charm his supporting army

Does Algernon's Cloak let you charm critters multiple times per day? In my install, it's limited to a single use per day.

The Nymph Cloak has multiple charges, but it's not available until you reach Baldur's Gate.

@Harpagornis: Why would invisibility potions be useful in the fight with Big B? He should be able to see through invisibility; one of his items gives him that ability. Is it just there to keep off the Abishais?
    edited May 2017
    There are mainly two reasons for invisibility when fighting Big B @semiticgod:

1. You will negate the -4 hit penalty from Improved Invisibilty (Arrows of Dispelling did not work!)
    2. You will avoid the constant teleporting of the Demons - which will be VERY annoying later on

At the start i tend to use Sandthief Ring charges - its slower but the number of demons is not high enough to surround you. Later on - if you keep staying too long - they will teleport around you blocking any escape path. They will still scatter once invisibility procs but if you get unlucky and Big B is near you might suffer a lot of damage. And never forget: Cornugons can stun on hit. I died to this crap more than one time.

But you are right: Invisibilty will not protect you from Big B and also not from Erinyes Archers so i tend to use anti-missile equipment to minmize incoming damage. The numbers of Erinyes will differ in each battle: If you get lucky there will only be one of them - if everything turns out badly up to four of them will keep shooting. You might try to kill them but they are very slippery and will go invisible whenever you attack them. Bad girls! :D
    Post edited by Harpagornis on
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    After passing invisibly through the Cloakwood, Freda took no chances at the Mine entrance - Drasus & co being charmed one by one and fed to enemies. She got her final BG1 level there. Inside she continued to play safe by sneaking down to the bottom level and charming the guard. The battle horrors were pulled back by the guard and blinded before being meleed. Davaeorn was then quickly beaten up by the charmed guard. Unfortunately Freda didn't pick up Davaeorn's equipment before resting to heal trap damage and it disappeared costing her a pretty penny.

Flooding the mine got Freda to reputation 20 and she did some shopping and picked up the tome from Durlag's before heading on to Baldur's Gate. Everything went pretty smoothly with encounters there - summoned monsters and charming from invisible being favorite tactics - except that Lothander teleported away just before being killed. She found yet another web scroll on a ghast in Ramazith's Tower - and failed once more to learn it, but after eventually succumbing to paying for a scroll from Sorcerous Sundries she learned it at the 6th or 7th attempt.

With funds being a bit short I did some encounters mainly for the loot, e.g. Sunin (summons) and Iron Throne (charm from invisible - the Shennaras losing out to Diyab and his skeleton warrior). It was a bit of a pain dealing with inventory management, but eventually the job was done.

A potion of magic blocking ensured Freda survived the welcoming committee back at Candlekeep. She left the Iron Throne leaders alone, but looted the tombs. The strength tome is particularly welcome as dualling to a fighter doesn't give you exceptional strength. After bypassing the dopplegangers she tried charming one of Prat's gang, but failed and was jumped on by several phase spiders - being poisoned there required her to use a green scroll as resting wasn't an option. She took advantage of that to kill the other spiders before trying charms again. Six or seven of those all failed and as resting is difficult there she just gave up at that point and left.
    Eklun, the Human Totemic Druid started his adventure but - how can we formulate this one - we are running into some kind of "problem" at the start:

When walking through the woods there are always some kind of "bandits" ambushing us. The heavy armored Warriors are not the problem - even not the spellcaster. But the Archer is! He fires a volley of four Ice Arrows before we can get out of range - GG!

Well at least that should happen! No? You already may have noticed that we described the cutscene with Gorion and Sarevok - at least parts of it. Holy cow, how can a level 1 character survive four consecutive hits like this without any scratch? Hidden Stone Skin and Protection from Elements?

Anyway: The game should have ended here. Sarevok has won! Or was it Irenicus? Or Melissan? Who knows! :D

Has this one ever been explained by the developers @Ardanis or @JuliusBorisov? ;)
    edited May 2017
    Back in Baldur's Gate, dispelling arrows made Slythe vulnerable to summons. Krystin packed a lot of area damage, but a couple of lots of summons and a charmed opponent eventually wore her down.

At the palace there were more charmed and summoned creatures to start the fight. That nearly ended badly at the start though when the assassin targeted Freda with a backstab. However, at only 70 HPs that was quite low damage and after that Freda was pretty successful at staying out of the sights of the mage while dispelling the dopplegangers and topping up summons. Liia stayed invisible throughout so Freda wasn't called upon to renew that.

After spending the remainder of her funds Freda worked through the maze with the help of some summons against the skeleton warriors. Unfortunately Rahvin proved resistant to numerous charm attempts and Freda eventually gave up on getting his exploding arrows.

In the temple, Sarevok was dumped in the corner with the others while Freda dealt with Angelo herself (to avoid the danger of summons being confused or scared) using potions of magic protection.

Semaj died with the last blast from Freda's first Necklace and Tazok and Diarmid went down to the second. It took a number of shots (with a non-proficient bow), but Sarevok was finally dispelled and it didn't take too many more charges of the monster wand to finish him off then.

By the way in relation to surplus XP transferring, here's Freda's record at the start of SoD.
    I'm afraid I don't know why that XP appears not to show up for some people ...

What are the odds of actually getting through the dungeon this time :*?
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    edited May 2017
    If memory serves, the cutscene was updated in BGEE's initial release, way before LoB was introduced, so it was assuming normal creature stats. We did have to adjust a couple of SoD cutscenes for LoB mode, though, as there were discrepancies between visual action and HP count, e.g. the hostiles wouldn't die in the bridge scene in Ch.11 and remained afterwards :D . In case of Gorion scene, player is protected by minhp1 effect, so LoB didn't break anything.

PS I kinda agree it may look funny for a level 1 character to take several magic arrows in cutscene and die to a single shot in actual game... But then LoB itself isn't quite the normal mode per DnD rules.
    edited May 2017
    The opening cutscene is actually adjusted for LoB mode. In standard, 3 shots are fired (I count them carefully as once they've gone it's safe to exit the cutscene - if you exit earlier there's a chance an arrow fired during the cutscene will continue into the main view and one-shot your character)! In LoB the APR bonus means that 4 shots are fired.
    I'm glad to see the pet basilisk strategy and Stone to Flesh trick are proving useful.
    In SoD Freda immediately took a level earned with excess XP from BGEE. She then showed herself briefly to the first group of enemies to get them to move away from guarding Porios' door and this time there was no mistake in persuading Porios to surrender. A PfU scroll allowed her to move past various groups of undead and invisibility took her through to the mercenaries guarding the gate controls - they were persuaded to leave their posts. Without showing herself to Korlasz, she charmed and drew away a couple of the guards. The intention was to make them invisible and put them in the gate control room, but as soon as they were made invisible the guards just disappeared entirely and didn't even respond to group commands. After trying several times Freda sent one into the next room where the elite mercenaries were - they quickly killed it, but that also triggered their flocking behavior so they all grouped round Freda despite never having seen her or a genuine party member.

Using another PfU scroll, Freda dragged them back to the level exit and there successfully charmed the mage before going upstairs. She went invisible again and came back down and ran back to the gate control room to see if the mercenaries would follow - which they did. Changing tactics, she started using wand scorchers to damage the mercenaries while running away. An absorb health from a blackguard hit her for 64 damage, but there wasn't much else and she used a potion of regeneration to fix that.

Once the enemies were mainly dead Freda lured the remaining few into the gate control room and summoned some monsters to help finish them off. That appeared to have gone well, but despite that fight being a long way from the nearest undead group they had apparently heard the commotion and come to investigate - and brought all their undead friends from further back in the dungeon as well. Her PfU was still operating when they arrived, but either she was dispelled or it ran out moments later as she came under attack - a quick potion of invisibility put most of the attackers off while she renewed the PfU.

Back in Corlasz' room, she saw that all the mercenaries except Korlasz were now hostile, so summoning some help to start a fight was not really an option any longer. She used a PfM scroll with the idea that she would buff up with potions, but as soon as she used that it triggered an assault from all the undead and mercenaries. She used a potion of invisibility to get out of the room and dodged the incoming undead hordes to try to drag them as far away as possible before using her last PfU scroll. Coming back to Korlasz' room most of the undead were gone, so Freda potioned up while the mercenaries grouped round her. A couple of scorchers along with a dispelling arrow to set her up for a scimitar attack was sufficient for Korlasz to surrender.

Just to add insult to injury when Freda reported back to Fanegonorom he said he was rewarding her with an item, but didn't actually do so (and I wanted that +2 shield).
    Looks like you have finally found your class @Grond0 - may luck be on your side in the coming challenges! ;)

Any clue why Freda started SoD with so many XP? My chars - except for Dual Class - always start with 161k XP!

Yeah, Fanegonorom should give you the +2 Shield even though its only nice for Priests - there will be better ones later on if you take a little risk fighting Morentherene the Green Dragon or clear a whole Spider Cave and the Rhino Beetle. The Shield of the Fallen Stars from BG1 is still very good until Avernus!

But as you like going for risky moves (why would one battle Korlasz Guards if you can sneak by unseen) there will be a lot of fun going on soon. You runs - and the reading - are far more explosive than my minimal-risk-i-skip-everything stuff. Keep on blasting! ;)

But as you like going for risky moves (why would one battle Korlasz Guards if you can sneak by unseen)

I did sneak through unseen and then tried to remove the Korlasz guards to make the fight easier - surely it's not my fault if the game cheats to prevent that B).
    edited May 2017
    Eklun started with the Main Quest Line rushing through to BG:

- Mulahey and Guards got destroyed by two doggies alone
    - Killed Tranzig by stunlocking him with two doggies
    - Used Invisibility to get in and out of Bandit Tent, Doggies and Nymphs killed Taurgosz and big parts of the camp
    - Killed Drasus with Doggies and Nymphs after charming him (nearly perfect stunlock with Doom!)
    - Davaeorn was killed by two Doggies after the charmed Guard lured the Battle Horrors away, he nearly got no chance casting his spells while the guards could not even touch the Doggies. No need for Necklace burning here!

The Doggie Master of Nature will move to Baldurs Gate soon. Very smooth run so far as most enemies are unable to touch his pets. Molkar and Lamalha went down in similar fashion with three Nymphs also joining the fun. Thanks to his pet shield Eklun has barely taken any scratch on his adventure so far. ;)
  • Victor_Creed_SFVVictor_Creed_SFV Member Posts: 609
    Yeah Dogees and later the fire elementals are really awesome.
    Droolit is back to the grind as well and finally left BG city, SoD awaits. :D
    edited May 2017
    Is there any way for Druids to open the chest with the Strength Tome below Candlekeep except for Violet Potion? DuHM isnt enough of i remember correctly. Are we missing something? ;)

EDIT: Looks like that we are also not able to open the chest with the Tome of Wisdom as 21 Strength via DuHM is still too low. This means only two level five spells - instead of three. But how can Big B be beaten without Violet Potion? Harm is too much of a gamble on no-reload - is it not?
    Post edited by Harpagornis on

Is there any way for Druids to open the chest with the Strength Tome below Candlekeep except for Violet Potion? DuHM isnt enough of i remember correctly. Are we missing something? ;)

There are mods that provide other usable strength-enhancing potions and mods that add clerical spells (such as righteous magic) to the druid. In the absence of mods though I'm not aware of any other option. You need strength 24 to break the lock and DUHM will only get you to 21.
    I used my potion on it.

I still don't see why Harm is so bad on no reload, a totemic gets two uses of it at level 12 and many more spell levels for the lower spells including magic resistance and true sight.

all you need is a 50% hitchance and ofc a little luck because of the 20 odd mr big B gets because of your spell.

I'd personally rather do a full new run than kite Big B around for hours. :D
    edited May 2017
    @Victor_Creed_SFV: There's the problem. Harm would be great if a druid could get a 50% hit chance on Big B, but Big B has -12 AC. You need the Violent Potion to approach the -2 THAC0 necessary to land a hit with Harm with 50% accuracy (I calculate a maximum THAC0 of -1, considering the +4 THAC0 bonus from invisibility won't work on Big B). Plus, even if you could get to a 50% hit chance, that's a 25% chance of flat-out failure by the time you run out of level 6 spells.

A 75% chance isn't bad, but normally, no-reload strategies aim for a success rate well above 90%. After all, you're gambling the fate of the entire run every time you enter combat.
    edited May 2017

A 75% chance isn't bad, but normally, no-reload strategies aim for a success rate well above 90%. After all, you're gambling the fate of the entire run every time you enter combat.

@semiticgod a 75% chance isn't bad for a one-off encounter, but is the chance of success in the above scenario not slightly less than that? 75% is the chance to successfully land a harm spell, but you then need to be able to damage him again in order to kill him. I don't think there's any guaranteed method for you to do damage to him, but is there any SoD equipment available that would make him damage himself if he hits you?
    edited May 2017
    Harpagornis referred recently to the riches on offer in Baldur's Gate from killing NPCs - so I thought I would give that a try. I was surprised at the quality of goods on offer - Minsc for instance had Kiel's Helmet, so there's no need to go into Durlag's Tower in search of that.

With the additional funds Freda set out with the crusade and in the camp bought a bag of holding from Belegarm - that should solve the bulk of her inventory issues.

In addition to the information in this thread I've started reading Lilura's walkthrough of SoD in a desperate attempt to see if I can improve my chances of staying alive a bit longer :p. As I don't use healing potions, regeneration items are potentially particularly useful to me and the walkthrough pointed me to helping Tsolak in order to get the Trollblood Ioun Stone. A dispelling arrow for Ikros and wand paralysation for Isabella, along with some summons, did that encounter successfully.

Without any more PfU scrolls I thought the Dwarves of Dumathoin quest would be too difficult. Freda did do though the standing stones (a messenger delivering the Trollblood stone while she was fighting some spiders during that) and returned Takos his items. She also used summoned monsters to kill Valeria - though one of them destroyed a stone statue while confused, Herod didn't seem to mind that. The gold gathered wasn't quite enough to recharge her wand of fire, so she went invisibly into the mine and watched while the undead hordes killed the dwarves. None of the undead close by could see through invisibility so she went to collect the bard's treasure (leading the undead away a bit first to avoid getting trapped by them all congregating around her).

With shopping complete, she watched invisibly while Jayvis fired the bridge and then moved on to Troll Claw Woods.
    There was nothing significant to do in Troll Claw Woods, but the Walkthrough referred to the possibility of getting a sling upgrade in a travel ambush. Freda spent a while trying to find that, but without success and just went on to the Forest of Wyrms.

Arriving in a dragon cave Freda was tempted to attack Morentherene by the existence of an 'Easter Egg' ability to one-shot her. Unfortunately it appears that you have to not only attack her, but actually hit her in combat to activate that (which I should really have expected) - Freda failed to hit, got scared and was eaten in a couple of seconds ...
    That's odd. I thought all you had to do was hit her with a throwing dagger while she slept, and presumably the attack roll was automatic due to her being asleep.
    Morentherene is quite strange in her behaviour. Sometimes you can run up, get Harm in and kill her right away. Sometimes she somehow gains 100 HP after Harm landed so you still have to work through the HP AND her Stoneskin. Sometimes she awakens - and goes hostile - when you are just getting in vision range (even invisibility doesnt help here!). She always wakens up immediately if you use any spell (or ability?) in the cave so i always make sure to buff myself up outside!!

Fredas death is a real pity @Grond0 - there were some very interesting battles ahead. Maybe next time! ;)
    Possibly the trigger to wake her only operates once per round - if so, depending on the timing you might sometimes be able to attack before she awakes. In my case she was awake and attacking me before I came into vision of her (although I'd deliberately avoided using any spells or abilities).
    I'm not familiar with Morentherene but this sounds like something that wouldn't work with LoB it prevents most instakills.

@Harpagornis
    Oh ok thx for the clarification on the Harm hitchance, I keep forgetting that ST doesn't apply.
    Time to go all cheese and create an EE-Keeper Monk with harm. ;)