Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• billy_pilgrimbilly_pilgrim Member Posts: 132
    edited June 2017
    @Grond0 Wimp is borderline masochism I would say :smiley: At least you didn't need to spend time rolling at character creation :wink:

Goodluck on your run, how many mage spells will you be able to get per level with 9 int? Are you also playing wtih resting restriction? Just to go into full on masochist mode :tongue:

I've lost a bit of motivation, was thinking of another run with a shaman but I can foresee so many problems in ToB and maybe even late SoA that i'm doubting it. Perhaps another run as totemic -> fighter, or the tried and trusted zerker-> thief. I would like to play through as a vanilla monk but the non magical fists at xp cap are painful as wel as general lack of damage and bad AC. Too bad the EE didn't add any monk items to BG1.

I've been looking at the improved shamanic dancing mod, do you guys think its too op? I found the monastic orders of faerun mod a bit too op for monks for example.
  • comebackhomecomebackhome Member Posts: 254
    Guys, I am stuck on the Chromatic demon in watchers keep as a Solo mage. What is the best method for dealing with him?
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,314

Goodluck on your run, how many mage spells will you be able to get per level with 9 int? Are you also playing wtih resting restriction?

@billy_pilgrim no limit on spell learning as I'm not restricting the use of potions to boost intelligence. There's also no limit on rests, but casting spells per se is dangerous as a wild mage - eventually those surges are going to catch up >:). Hence Wimp won't be using spells that heavily.
    edited June 2017

Guys, I am stuck on the Chromatic demon in watchers keep as a Solo mage. What is the best method for dealing with him?

@comebackhome I think he's vulnerable to elemental damage opposite to his current form, e.g. use fire damage when he's looking icy. I've not done it, but would have thought that if you take along a selection of wands you could wear him down.
  • JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 395
    Legit question about challenges: Is it generally more or less difficult to overcome challenges like this with larger parties? My google-fu is rather lacking, but I've come across a lot of solo trilogy videos, where I haven't found one with the protagonist plus five of any of the joinable NPCs yet. Hat's off to anyone taking these challenges up, but I'm thinking that having less/no weak links and making strong characters more powerful a lot faster might have something to do with this. Am I wrong?
    Jidokwon said:

Legit question about challenges: Is it generally more or less difficult to overcome challenges like this with larger parties?

In addition to what @Arctodus said the difficulty is affected by what you mean by challenges. If you're playing no-reload then you tend to be much more vulnerable than in a party where the odd failed saving throw by a front-liner isn't instantly fatal. The fact that solo games are much faster weighs in on the other side, as you don't need to maintain concentration for so long, but completing a game without mistakes is still pretty hard.
    edited June 2017
    Wimp consolidated a few equipment stashes into a single container at Beregost before dealing with a few encounters missed out previously in the Cloud Peaks on her way to pick up the charisma tome. She had a near escape there when a big critical from a blinded Gnarl on the familiar took it to near death and it briefly lost morale before recovering its senses before Gnarl could find it to attack again.

The last cache of treasure on offer was in the ankheg nest. Rather than use a potion of invisibility, or risk an invisibility spell surging, Wimp used up a monster summoning charge there to get rid of the ankheg next to the treasure. Regrettably she'd just sold that loot when she had her first gold destroyed surge - seeing about 11,000 gold evaporate there (funds had been building up with the aim of recharging the monster summoning wand). To avoid that type of loss it would have been technically possible to build up a huge stock of equipment and sell everything in one go - but just managing the movements of equipment she's done with a base strength of 3 has been quite enough of a hassle!

Deciding it was time to crack on with the main quest, Wimp made her way to the Nashkel Mine. She passed through that invisibly, though had to renew her spell when the kobold shaman used an Oracle. In Mulahey's cave she rested to cure trap damage, then charmed the cleric at the first attempt and chuckled as she watched him be killed by his own skeleton warrior.

Back in Nashkel, Nimbul was also charmed and set up to be chopped into pieces by Minsc. After getting a lift to the Bandit Camp, Wimp charmed Taurgosz to get his equipment before using a potion of insulation to top up Mulahey's boots against trap damage in the main tent - a potion of invisibility was then used to make a quick exit. She rested after that at the FAI to get another strength spell available, but casting that produced the first direct damage surge she's encountered so far - luckily she was still wearing Mulahey's boots which cancelled half the lightning damage and her HPs were good enough to survive.

After passing invisibly through the Cloakwood (most of her travelling has been done while visible to avoid needing to cast spells, but while that's still possible in the Cloakwood using the ring of free action to defend against spider webs I decided to risk the surges to avoid the hassle) she charmed Drasus & co one by one and sent them to be killed by the nearby guards. Drasus himself though managed to recover from the charm while badly wounded (possibly as a result of his berserk wearing off, though I've noticed plenty of times before that characters with custom scripts have a nasty tendency to throw off charms) and rather than rest and start over again Wimp used up a couple of monster summoning charges to finish him off.

All the loot was stashed in a container while Wimp went invisibly through the mine. She got down to Davaeorn's level - and then realised she had no realistic options to kill the battle horrors there. Some time later she got back to the mine with a couple of frost wands and Davaeorn's guard pulled the battle horrors away to be iced. Wimp tried to sight Davaeorn, but was hurt by a trap before getting into sight and had to rest and heal before recharming the guard and sending it in to kill the mage (whose script never fires if he's not seen a party member) - that got Wimp her final BG1 level. The guard also pulled the mustard jelly away to allow Wimp to loot a couple of chests before she left. She didn't flood the mine yet though in case she needs to generate some more money at a later date.

Baldur's Gate awaits - will Wimp's luck continue to hold there?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Come on. This is just silly.

If @Grond0 played Berserker/Mages and Sorcerers, he'd probably have completed no-reload runs more times than most of us had pressed the pause button.
  • SamAxeSamAxe Member Posts: 5
    So what are -the- characters for this challenge? Totemic Druid (possibly duelled to fighter), Fighter/Mage, Fighter/Cleric.. what else? Fighter/Thief?
    The heavy mob would include berserkers, barbarians and dwarven defenders. On the sneakier side Harpagornis' bounty hunter is the only class to have completed the full challenge. I suspect a shadow dancer could also do a lot of damage, though it would take a considerable amount of patience ...
    edited June 2017

If @Grond0 played Berserker/Mages and Sorcerers, he'd probably have completed no-reload runs more times than most of us had pressed the pause button.

I've actually tried a sorcerer in this challenge quite a few times and never got beyond the SoD prologue. Admittedly I know how to do so, but actually doing it without making mistakes is a problem for me. :p
  • billy_pilgrimbilly_pilgrim Member Posts: 132
    Hey guys, I'm fiddling around with my install once again. I thought perhaps you guys might know a way around this, I'm trying to install monastic orders of faerun mod, which basically changes monks a bit. The items it adds are stupid, but it more or less fixes the non magical fists problems, which should allow for a BG1 playthrough. The mod isn't working properly, and I think its because of EET, now because this mod changes kits if I want to do an install without EET do I need to install it in both my game folders, and will the character be able to import over to the next game. Or is adding the kit to BG1 enough, and will it work off that save file?
    @billy_pilgrim if you have separate installations for BG1 and BG2 then you'll need to install the mod in both.
  • AlmahnsorAlmahnsor Member Posts: 4
    Since people following this thread have a very strong solo experience, I thought it's best to ask here for an advice...

I soloed long ago vanilla BG+ToSC with a dualed F/T and BG2+ToB with a monk, but now I plan to take a solo character through the entire saga (just core rules however) and I would like to know if there's a general consensus about the best class overall considering 2 requirements:
    - able to complete every quest (besides those involving companions of course)
    - stay strong through the entire saga
    My first choice would be F/M, but maybe there are other powerful combos that I'm not aware of because it doesn't seem to be the first choice of the people who took the solo challenge...
  • HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    Just a short hello from the lazy one. Good to see Fafnir back on the run @chimaera - Melissan is already trembling! For me the challenge will be paused for "quite some time" as real life soaks a lot of attention and other games look much more interesting at the moment. If someone for instance is playing "Battlerite" (yeah, i am really bad at this) he is welcome to add me to his friends list. My Nick there is "Eklun". How fitting - no? :D

I never play F/M cause Mages are banned for me. But it should be a very good pick throughout the saga. F/T is pretty powerful too and one of my favoured picks. Totemic Druid dualed to Fighter at 18 is also quite strong as Eklun has shown. At the end its up to you! ;)

Until later... :D
    @Almahnsor the best character will depend on the terms of your game - for instance the game difficulty, whether you allow reloading and whether you want to rest regularly to recharge spells and abilities. A F/M is certainly a strong option, but I suggest you make your choice based on the character you would like to play - you'll have a much better chance of taking it all the way through the game if you identify with the character than just because it's the 'best'. Other possible things you might want to consider could include:
    - pretty much any multi-class
    - berserker dualled to mage or thief or just dwarf berserker
    - swashbuckler dualled to fighter
  • Victor_Creed_SFVVictor_Creed_SFV Member Posts: 609
    I'll be streaming in a few minutes again:
    This was a sad day for Squirrellover the No Reload M/C, since she died to Meilum after getting impatient too quickly.
    My strategy was to charm with Algernon's and on Save vs Breath exit the map to the right and rest and come back.
    After something like 6 tries I got impatient and decided to all in with Doom and blind but with slow cast speed and a very low level char with 34 hp even mirror image didn't let me finish the doom cast and after getting hit I was too stubborn to run and died.

I then tried the basilisk loop with a revived Squirrellover (starting at Candlekeep with 0 progress I hope that is ok to recycle chars to save rerolling?)
    But somehow the 8 hours scroll vs petrification turned the lesser basilisk hostile again.
    I got impatient again and went to Tenya which I did ok against with the former squirrel, but this time I messed up interrupting her skeleton cast my familiar died and so did squirrel. :(
    Hard luck @Victor_Creed_SFV. I didn't play any BG for a few weeks, but did have a go at this with my sorcerer the other day. Everything seemed to be going well and she was up to level 7 when deciding to go to the basilisk area. I'd already done the Nashkel Mine and Nimbul, so she had a quasit familiar and I decided to let that clear the basilisks - only for it to immediately get petrified :'(. I thought I'd used a quasit before there, but must have been thinking of a different familiar. The Adventurer's Guide says that all the familiars are immune to petrification, but if anyone is thinking of using them against basilisks you might want to check them first to see whether the quasit is the only one where that statement is incorrect ...
    Yes somebody told me the other day the Imp is not immune either, using pseudo dragon atm which is immune.
    I've been trying @semiticgod 's Basilisk loop the last couple of days and finally had a partial success after messing up on minor details before.

How do you guys prevent the basilisk from attacking in melee?
    After getting about 80k xp both my greaters died from a melee attack from my charmed lesser and I couldn't really find a way to choose which attack the basilisk uses.
    @semiticgod
    Very interesting, thx!
    Most of that I did minus having an invisible creature in between both Basilisks.
    Whenever my charmed basilisk walked towards the Greater this meant certain deeath, I ordered it to walk away but it just kept coming.
    But I'm almost 100% certain an invisible familiar would prevent this, I will try tomorrow again, since sadly enough after getting to max xp my M/C died again totally unnecessary trying to get Stoneskin from the Island thingy.
    I had a level 5 Cleric spell slot but just didn't realize I need to put it on prot from lightning and a lightning bolt one shot me with 78 hp...